Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What the hell? Dr E? Never expected you in here. It's like running into your teacher outside school.

Here's my Playstation profile, this is where all my efforts go.

https://psnprofiles.com/IneffiableFx

I've only seen two goons with more trophies/plats/levels above me and both of them have been trophy hunting longer than me. I've really only been doing this seriously since 2012 but there's like another 5 years that trophies existed that I could have been working on.

Here's my favorite accomplisments:

Ikaruga one credit coin clear (I did this on ps4 and Xbox 360)

My trilogy of trilogy platinums:

Dark souls 1-3
Dead space 1-3
Mass Effect 1-3

As a bonus, I platinumed demons souls three times. (NA, AS, EU)

Feel free to discuss any of my games, I'm always happy to talk about them or give tips/advice/feedback/recommend games.

My 200th platinum is reserved for Demon's Souls remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:D I used to be hugely active outside of Coupons, but then slowly retreated into it. I lurk all over the place though. Maybe this is me trying to be more active. :ohdear:

Your profile is impressive! My PSN stats pretty much start in 2012 as well, before that I was on the 360. I just hit 47, so in a pretty like-for-like comparison, you have me beat.

That Ikaruga one in particular seems imposing. Isn't that game notoriously difficult?

Oh yeah. It's probably a game that you can finish in 40 minutes with unlimited continues but it's probably taken me well over 100 hours just to get good enough to finish it with no continues. This came from years of experience with it on gamecube then on xbox 360 so to get it on ps4 took less than 5 tries but that's with over 100+ hours of experience.

Looking forward to giving you motivation to catch up to me. Can't wait to trophy hunt on the PS5! Demons souls was my first platinum on ps3 and hopefully I can make it my first ps5 platinum as well (my first ps4 platinum was need for speed rivals)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Just got the Disgaea 5 platinum! ~75 hours total.

This game has a lot of grinding for the trophies, but since grinding and numbers going up is kind of the point of the game, they managed to make it feel really good so rarely was there tedium. The only real annoying parts were going for the bonuses in 50 stages since I didn't do it the first time, and trying to figure out and execute on the requirements for obtaining a legendary item.

Quite the accomplishment. I rarely go for rpg Plata since they're very time consuming but I did do persona 5 and DQ11.

I'm working on some games I've played before on ps3/ps4 but have unearned trophies.

Currently playing: Until dawn

Demons souls (PS5) reserved for my 200th platinum.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Archer666 posted:

One of my proudest gaming moments has to be getting these Let It Die trophies. That game becomes such a grindy Sure-This-Is-Free-But-It-Be-Easier-If-You-Bought-Some-Continue-Tokens shitfest past the halfway point. And its such a shame, since the aesthetic is pretty banging and its a decent Dark Souls clone in its own right.

Yeah I've heard that game is nigh impossible to finish without buying (real world money) anything.

It actually nailed down the neon punk asthetic before we got games like rage 2 or far cry new dawn that makes it seem overused now.

Don't forget that new rider Nation game or whatever uses it a lot as well.

I'm tired of neon pink.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I just came to post that!

Looks like they're going to be weighting platinums even more heavily in the new scoring system. I'm interested in seeing the effects this has.

The gap will just get wider between us Dr E!

For serious though it's gonna be interesting to see how hard it is to climb levels as high as we are. Will finishing an entire game basically give you 2-3 levels or more?

And they said a level 12 would be around 200s.

A level 12 in the old system has 16,000 worth of trophy points. If you're around level 50 or higher you have well over 370,000. You'll get a major boost if you have plenty of platinums as well.

And some information about the old system:

Trophies are currently worth this much:

* Bronze: 15 points
* Silver: 30 points
* Gold: 90 points
* Platinum: 180 points

And it currently takes this many points to level up:

* Level 1 to level 2 takes 200 points
* Level 2 to level 3 takes 400 points
* Level 3 to level 4 takes 600 points
* Level 4 to level 5 takes 1,200 points
* Level 5 to level 6 takes 1,600 points
* Level 6 to level 12 takes 2,000 points per level
* Level 12 to level 26 takes 8,000 points per level
* Every level after level 26 takes 10,000 points per level

So once you hit level 26, you're looking at about 8 full games per level, not including DLC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:negative:

Oh interesting, I didn't realize it stopped increasing. I thought each additional level took more than the last. Guess you weren't as far away as I thought you were. :P

Yeah there's no more diminishing returns but who knows how the curve will work under the new system. Maybe we will be closer in theory.

Even though we're like *checks notes* 5 levels apart that means 40 entire games worth of trophies in difference. Kinda crazy to think about sometimes. And if you average like 75% per game that's more like 50 games then. Assuming those are all games with full trophy lists/platinums.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

assuming you made no progress that's like, what, half a year of quarantine gaming

Good luck getting me to not play video games for half a year!

I think once the new trophy levels update we should all post our new levels. Hopefully the psn profile website updates with the formula so we can get an idea of how fast progression is under the new system.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

577. It's not even a gold rank but I'll be at gold in a year or so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Here's data on the new system

All of the credit goes to /u/N_Johnston; I'm impressed he was able to work everything out so quickly. Here's the text in case anyone can't or doesn't want to click the link:

> Sony hasn't released the new trophy level formula or officially announced the new trophy point values, so I thought I'd start a thread with this information. None of this is official -- it's all reverse-engineered by looking at people's profiles.

> New trophy point values:

Bronze: 15
Silver: 30
Gold: 90
Platinum: 300

> The only difference above is that platinum trophies are now worth more (300 points instead of 180). The values of bronze, silver, and gold trophies did not change.

> New trophy level calculation:

> Once again, the trophy level calculation is not a smooth curve, but rather has cut-offs. Here is how it works:

Levels 1 - 99: 60 points (4 bronzes) per level up
Levels 100 - 199: 90 points (6 bronzes) per level up
Levels 200 - 299: 450 points (30 bronzes) per level up
Levels 300 - 399: 900 points (60 bronzes) per level up
Levels 400 - 499: 1350 points (90 bronzes) per level up
Levels 500 - 599: 1800 points (120 bronzes) per level up
Levels 600 - 699: 2250 points (150 bronzes) per level up
Levels 700 - 799: 2700 points (180 bronzes) per level up
Levels 800 - 899: 3150 points (210 bronzes) per level up
Levels 900 - 999: 3600 points (240 bronzes) per level up

> Platinuming a single game gets you to level 23 now. It takes a total of 1631340 points to reach level 999, which equals roughly 1200 full games platinumed.

It's worth noting that the level cap increased pretty significantly, almost doubling: current level 999 would have been around level 175 under the old system, if it didn't stop at 100. Based on various leaderboard sites, there should only be 100-150 non-hackers currently at max level.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I also did some fun math in the ps4 goon discord.

Getting to level 300 (the first silver) is 60,000 points.

But getting to level 600 (the first gold) is almost 8 times that, at 465,000 points.

Gold is definitely the big milestone for any serious trophy hunters. Anyone that's at silver plays a lot of games or actually has pretty good trophy progress. I'd imagine 90%, maybe even 99% of players will be bronze.

I don't think any goons are even gold under the new system. The closest will be Mr, Dr e, and Policenaut (Policenaut has to be pretty close at least, closer than me) and I'm sure we'll all reach that under ps5 Gen but who knows if we'll progress past the first gold tier which requires 225,000 points, which is equal to half our lifetime progress getting from 0-600 which was helped by that we did ps3, vita and ps4 generations (and with the help of a bit of ps5 maybe)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Barring huge life changes, I don't think it's that unreasonable, though it'll definitely take a few years. At the beginning of this generation I was only at level 7, which may as well be nothing, so another 50-60% seems pretty doable.

Also, I wonder how many more trophies I would have if the progress tracking were in place on older consoles. I'm sure there have been quite a few where I saw that there was no way in-game to track how many widgets I found or whatever, and just didn't bother.

To be blunt the ps3 had pretty hard trophies in general too. Most online trophies weren't as fair (ah anyone remember how many required ranking in the leaderboard?) and almost every game had a difficulty related trophy that doesn't stack (so enjoy beating it on easy, normal, hard and ultra hard seperately)

And don't forget the ps3 had like... Almost two years without trophies? Plus given how much games ran worse on ps3 than Xbox 360 means you might be frustrated enough just trying to finish a game, nevermind going for all trophies.

But yeah our first goal is to break gold which will happen in a year or two and then see if second gold tier can be broken which could happen by the end of ps5 Gen.

I assume the reason to overhaul this system is to have more of a future proof level system that could carry on to ps6 and ps7. Anyone that's already past 900 today is gonna be comparing based on how many platinums they have.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yeah, I'm still mad I got nothing for Heavenly Sword and Valkyria Chronicles. At least with the latter I was able to plat the remaster.

I was almost exclusively 360 last gen, though, so most of the PS3 trophies I've gotten still fall within the dates since this gen started. Would be nice to have a cross-platform tracking service.

Edit: I wonder if https://metagamerscore.com/ is any good.
Edit2: not really
Edit3: maybe just a coincidence but I think syncing my trophies/achievements to it broke the site

Yeah mostly same. I absolutely would have an armored core 4/4A platinum if they had one. I only got my ps3 in 2010 and didn't really trophy hunt as much so I was level 13 basically when ps4 began. I have gone back and played ps3 stuff more since then of course.

Trophies are the only system I care about now. Part of it is getting that little special platinum for getting all the other trophies. And I like seeing an overall level go up (which we will see happen more often now!) while on xbox it just looks like a jumbled mess of numbers especially once you hit six digits.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Several Goblins posted:

I picked up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey when it came out, played it for an hour, and put it down til a couple of weeks ago. I wanted something fairly mindless to plod away at while I was in the process of buying a house/moving. Without much extra effort, I got the platinum trophy for it at around 60 hours yesterday. I started the DLC, but I don't think I'll trophy hunt it. Legacy of the First Blade has been kind of awful and I'm also suffering from sheer burnout at this point.

Still happy about the platinum though. Stepping on every drat subsection of the map was the only truly tedious bit.

Yeah odyssey and origins are absolutely very fun platinums in terms of 'filling out lists' origins was annoying with the 100% locations and odyssey was annoying with the uncover the entire map. Wonder how Valhalla will do.

Sorry about that wrist Dr. E. I'll keep working on my trophies to keep giving you something to catch up to. I already have two platinums I have queued for after I finally achieve demons souls ps5 as my 200th. And spiderman/miles morale will help increase that some more.

Currently I'm working on Amensia collection(it's amazing how little people have played this game, but I think it was on ps+ and a lot of people wussed out basically. Only 18% of players get past the first hour in the game) and Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise and I'll start yakuza dead souls this weekend (trying to completely eliminate my ps3 backlog or at least reduce it massively before ps5 arrives)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 23, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yeah, story should be at least half of the total IMO. I was pissed when I played Disgaea 3 and there were zero story trophies.

Anyone remember the original the last of us?

It's entirely possible to play the game on easy, FINISH THE ENTIRE GAME, and get one single bronze trophy. A 12-16 hour game.

That is one of the craziest AAA game trophy lists I've seen. You'd think the devs would at least do major story beats and track where the player drop-off rate is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

...! posted:

Hot take: the Amnesia games are bad and janky and not at all scary. I think you're projecting a bit when you say people "wussed out". There are many valid reasons not to play those games.

Then they wussed out from janky gameplay obviously! It takes true gamer dedication to overcome that.

Cool take: Amnesia is still good and relevant in 2020 as one of the original 'defenseless and hide only tactic' horror games. If someone has very high expectations of a game, then that's on them for checking out because you don't get a gun.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This might be fun to compare.

Xbox my story stats.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1324697168045838336

Here's mine:
https://www.trueachievements.com/my-xbox-story/792641

It's definitely a little glitchy and I think my fastest Xbox 360 completion is due to it being done offline and syncing later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just bumping this thread to let you guys know I achieved my 200th Playstation platinum and my 1st PS5 platinum with....

Demon's Souls.

(ps3 demon's souls was also my first platinum)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Several Goblins posted:

Congratulations! And nice symmetry. I started working on the same thing this afternoon. The Valley of Defilement convinced me to take a break though.

I've never gotten Plat on any Soulsborne game. I feel like it's time to change that.

Just a fair warning I think demon's souls is still one of the hardest souls game platinums to do.

The original was grindy as all hell. This one is similar to it but does cut out the need to do max level weapons and collect all special weapons. One of the big problems with Demon's Souls imho is that NG+ is such a big increase in difficulty than NG, more so than any of the other souls games. And you will have to do it to get stuff for the trophies.

If you really really want to platinum a souls game I really recommend starting with Dark Souls 1 (remaster works too).

For extra symmetry, Sekiro was my 100th platinum. I've got a special connection with From Software.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Awesome, congrats! Nice to have a pattern. Hopefully PS6 will have another remaster for you to get.

Thanks, I really have an impressive platinum history. Literally my first ten platinums ever (all on ps3) are as follows:

Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dead space 1
Dead space 2
Dead space 3
Mass effect 1
Mass effect 2
Mass effect 3

(also did all dlc trophies too)

I've been doing some easy games between big ones once I got to 100 because I don't have anything left to prove when you have platinums from sekiro and demon's souls and more.

My goal right now is to reach the coveted gold rank (trophy level 600+) and be the first goon to reach that spot.

I'll probably platinum the mass effect remaster (here's hoping it has 3 platinums?) and if there's a bloodborne or other from software remaster, I'll do those as well. Elden ring too.

The only way I may not platinum a from software game is if they have trophies tied to like 100+ online victories or something. Just would be too grindy.

Hope to see you back in the game soon Dr E, and I'll be waiting for you at the gold rank. My estimate is maybe only 5 goons will reach gold rank at least by the end of ps5 generation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The Postman posted:

Out of curiosity are there any people out there that already hit gold?

Yes if you go by psn profiles, there's at least 30ish people that hit the max level of 999 and at least... 3,000 worldwide that have gotten to 600 (gold) or higher.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well I am finally bumping this thread as I've achieved a significant milestone.

I achieved the Overcooked All You Can Eat platinum today, pushing me over to level 600.

As far as I know, I am the first goon to get to trophy level 600 on Playstation. 600 is a significant milestone because the icon changes from silver (there are three silver icons for rank 300-599) to gold and now I have a gold star. Based on leaderboards, I've actually estimated less than .004% of the population of psn players even are past level 600 at this point.

I'll still trophy hunt here and there but I've achieved some significant milestones so I'm happy with my journey. The next step is 300 platinums and after that is level 700. I'm not kidding when I say it may take me the entire rest of the Playstation 5 generation just to get to 700.

Dr E., Policenaut, looking forward to you guys catching up to me. You two (plus I think one other goon) are the only guys I know that are even over level 500, and I don't think I've seen anyone in the 400 range on my 500+ friends goon list.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Congratulations Ineffiable! That's impressive!

It's been awhile since I got every achievement for a game. The last was Dark Souls 2.

kdrudy posted:

That's rad, awesome job!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the congratulations. It's been a long ten year journey (my first trophy is from around 2010) and I've played hundreds of games to get to this point. And I'll keep on gaming on!

Barudak posted:

I just got all the cheevos for Control, other than a few bad stragglers what a pleasant process. Devs, please, if you have collectibles in your game make the final achievement for collecting them like 75-80% and not 100 unless you put in a very detailed and thorough map/checklist system.

Control Maingame: Does it Right
Control DLC 1: Does it Wrong
Control DLC 2: Does it Right

What happened in the middle???

Yeah I totally feel your pain. What's worse is its very hard to track what you don't have and do have and there's no way to track it by room or have any kind of radar for it.

Spider-Man has a ton of collectibles for you to get but at least they give you the spider sense radar and a lot of them can get marked on your map from the towers.

Here's some of my least favorite trophy types.

In no particular order other than they all annoy me a lot:

Speed run trophies

Trophies for completing difficulties that do not stack (yeah I'm not playing your game three entire times)

True 100% collectibles trophies (particularly if there's no easy way to track)

Multiplayer trophies (especially when they're tied to like kill 1,000 enemies with a certain weapon or something)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

Pretty much anything involving multiplayer trends towards being awful because its very easy to fall into the below

1) A horrendous grind
2) Requires esoteric unintentional cooperation from the other players
3) Is most easily done during your placement matches and then mathematically becomes insanely harder to get

In addition to your above (I hate 100% achievements with no ingame tracking) Singleplayer Achievements I Don't Like:

1) Anything involving random spawns, especially when you need a lot of them
2) Requiring a volume of activity out of line with what is done during the course of the game. I.e. a minigame gives you 10 reward points a session. Getting all rewards in the minigame requires 150 points. The achievement is for 1,000
3) Get Ending A or B when they are mutually exclusive, the game autosaves, and the choice is just a final button push so going for the other one is just an identical replay
4) Do a one-time non repeatable activity flawlessly

Yeah have you seen Overwatch? That has the worst offenders of what peeves you about multiplayer specifically these two:

2) Requires esoteric unintentional cooperation from the other players
3) Is most easily done during your placement matches and then mathematically becomes insanely harder to get

There are a ton of trophies that almost never naturally happen and basically requires luck. Some of them almost don't even get done unless you have people cooperate, including the other team.

Control dlc 2 definitely has this one
1) Anything involving random spawns, especially when you need a lot of them

God drat vending machines!

I have a lot of trophies and even platinum trophies but I don't push myself to platinum every game I own (even if it seems like I do) and the more the trophy list is made of the above annoying trophies the less likely I am to platinum it.

Honestly just playing the story should give you at least 30-50% naturally, it's a good way to checkpoint where people drop off playing a game and see how far people get (like half of the people finish playing God of War which is quite amazing) and ideally the trophies shouldn't require a second playthrough because of missable moments. If a game has multiplayer trophies, make them simple like play ctf three times, all game modes once, get to level 5. Plenty of multiplayer games have pages and pages of their own in game reward system/accomplishments so that's what you should use for multiplayer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Congrats on being the first to gold!

I'm hoping to be able to return to playing in the not too distant future and get gold not too long after. I was able to get a couple games done over the past couple months by having someone else control them, but that's not really sustainable. Will probably try to return to it myself with a visual novel or something else requiring minimal interaction.

Take it easy and before you know it you'll be back to usual. Trophy hunting is a marathon not a sprint and when you're talking about accounts over a decade old a good or bad month (like a long hiatus) won't mean much overall.

For some reason I felt like trying the 'becomes the master' trophy from Titanfall 2. Well I got it this morning so I went on to finish Titanfall 2 on master, thus getting my first platinum of 2021.

Here are my next potential platinums (already bought all of these games)

DBZ Kakarot
Manifold Garden
Deliver us the Moon
Bayonetta (chipping away at this little by little)
Chaos;child (hey Dr e here's a visual novel for you)
Steins Gate my darlings embrace
Beyond Blue
Guacamelee 2
Persona 5 Royal
Need for speed hot pursuit remastered

I've got more games I want to play and platinum but I haven't bought them yet (always waiting for a sale)

I've said before but I have three milestones I'm going to achieve with ps5. Here they are in the order I may achieve them:

300 platinums (at 230 now)
1,000 games played (I have something like 722 at this time)
Trophy level 700 (we'll see if I can make it there by the end of ps5 Gen, right now at 604 and it really takes a long just to go up one level. If I remember right, at gold rank it takes nearly two full games (plus one platinum) to even go up one level)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 2, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well quote is definitely not edit.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 2, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

What a coincidence, I just finished the Titanfall 2 platinum about 15 minutes before midnight, NYE with that exact same trophy! It took me about 5 hours over the course of two days, it was seriously one of the hardest trophies in my recent memory.

This is a neat thread, and trophy/achievement hunting has become a fun little way to engage in gaming for me. I love the little checklists and feeling more engaged, and it helps me prioritize titles I have in my library where I would otherwise spin out and not play anything.

I juggle between two accounts - Steam and Playstation. The PS4 is my first trophy tracking Sony console and I started playing it 2 years into the gen. I waffled between maining that or PC/Steam. Historically I've been a PC gamer. For a time circa 2015 I bought both a Steam and PS4 copy of major multiplat releases I enjoyed, either due to bad PC ports (Deus Ex Mankind Divided), or indecision between playing at a desk versus couch for games that played best with controllers (Mad Max, Witcher 3) or because my kitten (now cat) wanted to be on my lap (Fallout 4, Wolfenstein TNO).

That triggered some major weird OCP episodes having multiple copies of the same (unbeaten) games, but I focused on the copies I liked best (generally PC for performance issues) and slowly but surely chipped away at the PS4 trophies later when I felt like revisiting the games to quiet that little voice in my head. Games I disliked (Fallout 4) I didn't bother beating on either platform.

I've evolved a system that now works well for me deciding on Steam vs. Playstation for future purchases.

A) is it available on Steam?
B) does it offer tangible improvements in gameplay or technical performance over Playstation?
C) is it a FPS, where KBM is most comfortable for me?

Balance these between playing on Steam or Playstation. These aren't hard and fast rules but mean as gentle guiding principles. For example, I have Titanfall 2 on PS, where it was a freebie on PS+. I would objectively be more comfortable on the PC version, but at the time this was pre-EA-coming-back-to-Steam and it looked fun, so there we went!

The biggest rule I have for myself is seriously consider not having copies of games on multiple accounts per my explanations previously. And obviously, if the game sucks don't play it. Trophy/achievement hunting is meant to be a fun, rewarding challenge and hobby. If it's not fun move on to something else!

So...all that said, some of my recent milestones I'm proud of.

-Earned the platinum trophies in Witcher 3, Wolf TNO, and Mad Max (also earned 100% steam achievements for this title). These were previous double-dipped titles that I really really wanted to close the loop on.
-Earned 100% steam achievements for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor in anticipation of the WB servers closing down and locking out a couple cheevos.
-Earned the Demon's Souls PS5 platinum within the release window. By the time I get a way's into a game I'll have a good idea if I want to chase the plat/100%. If so, knock it out while the momentum is hot! I did that with DS, and will do so moving forward.

2021 Goals
-Increase my Steam profile Average Game Completion Rate up to 70% (currently 54%)
-Attempt the Platinum for Last of Us Remastered. I have a stretch goal to earn platinums in Sony-exclusive titles I really enjoy, and the big roadblock here is the arduous multiplayer.
-Platinum FF7R

Should be a great year for gaming!

Wow that's pretty cool! I'm not trying to brag, I did the trophy in under a hour of practice (I already knew how the run should go so it was a matter of nailing down my timing.

But I have 200+ hours of multiplayer practice. Titanfall 2 has been on my profile for over four years so it's kind of relieving to get it after all this time.

When did you get the demon's souls platinum? I did mine within one week (I've done the ps3 one three times on the same profile so I had a lot of experience).

I'm more likely to just buy a game on Playstation given my massive trophy record. But now with the Playstation 5 and Playstation 4 existing and allowing your account to be active on both, I am more likely to buy it if it's available on Playstation (I still have my ps4 so anytime I buy a game digitally, I get two fully functional copies!) and my ps4 is set up in my home office (I work from home currently) so I can do a little bit here and there every day before getting back to my ps5.

My platinums I will always remember is my trilogy of trilogies:

Dead Space 1-3

Dark Souls 1-3

Mass Effect 1-3

All dlc as well so they're all true 100%.

And of course being the first goon to hit level 600 (gold rank) on Playstation.

Im still going to aim for my next three milestones but they'll happen when they happen.

Trophy (achievement) hunting is a marathon not a sprint/grind. Yes you can grind individual games when right in the thick of them and you're super enjoying them because God knows there's dozens of games where we wouldn't have finished 100% if we didn't sit down and force ourselves to grind out the last bit. But you definitely can't be going from 60+ hour 100% games to the next 60+ hour 100% game the very next day. It really helps to break it up with smaller/easier games or even something like multiplayer where you'll just have fun and such.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I don't generally play FPS games on console so Titanfall 2 was pretty tough. Also, I played through it in February of 2020 (and beat it on Master) in prep to get the platinum and just...never got back to it. I cleaned up some single player trophies and the multiplayer ones before tackling the gauntlet and it still took an age because of fat fingers.

I got the Demon's Souls platinum December 29, 2020. So a little over a month after I started it. Pretty good for me as I'd never played the original and so it took me many runs to get everything. I purposefully went blind on my first NG run, ignored world tendency, and then started looking up guides. I avoided save scumming for all the miracle/spell achievements on one character. I had a STR/FAI character in NG++ and a MAG character in NG+ when I popped the platinum. Something like 70 hours over both toons.

Yah, my Steam history is much larger than Playstation, so that's why I just navigate to that platform in general. A lot of my conflict between the platforms is I just like Playstation's trophy system so much more. Especially now with PS5 and the little videos it takes. Steam achievements, while fun, are not the focus of that platform. Like how in Playstation you level up your account with accumulating trophies for points, Steam has a completely different metagame to engage in; achievements seem like an afterthought and are in play to be in step with the consoles. In fact it's comically easy to just unlock trophies using SAM, and I have many goons on my friends list I've snooped who have obviously done that.

For reference, my tags

https://psnprofiles.com/drunkenengr
https://steamcommunity.com/id/drunkenengineer/

I would definitely plat/100% Mass Effect & Dead Space if they were available on current gen hardware. The PC copies of those have no achievements for ea. first two entries, which I own on Steam. Souls games I have on Steam and after Demon's Souls am seriously considering trying to work through the series again, and that's an approach that would contribute to my Steam AGCR goal.

Sent you a friend request on Playstation!

Yeah Playstation has the coolest representation of achievements imho. The platinum trophy signifying that you did 100% the (base) game, the levels you can earn plus it gives you a raw count of the number of trophies you've earned and breaks them by rank.

Here's my profile https://psnprofiles.com/IneffiableFx

Steam as you've said kinda doesn't matter much as an overall profile thing and people cheat anyway. Xbox achievements are pretty decent but no unique identifier for doing 100% and they mix up dlc achievements into the regular list all the time. What is cool is their unique notification when you get a rare achievement.

Xbox achievement trackers (the one that tells you that you're 50% of the way to completing an achievement) is cool but in practice it's actually not supported across the board and most serious hunters don't need the tracker that much. Playstation will have that starting with PS5 but like I said it isn't actually going to be used as much as it should be.

Quick edit: I just remembered another good thing about Xbox. Starting on xbox one, no matter the game it is always 1000/1000 and sometimes the multi game packs like halo mcc or rare replay are like 5000+ points. And there are $20+ games on Playstation where they don't even get a full trophy list with a platinum. Like Hitman season 1 (and 2 maybe) don't even have a platinum so it kinda hurts if you achieved everything but there isn't even a platinum trophy for that.

Hey, mass effect will have a trilogy remaster for old Gen (ps4 and Xbox one) so maybe that'll be a new trio of platinums (or maybe just one platinum). I'll definitely try to platinum it again.

Dead space really needs a remaster though. I don't want that to be stuck on ps3 (I have an Xbox one laying around for 360 Era games) and I'd be down for platinum on it again.

Maybe not going to be one of my goals but I think I'll try to get my overall completion rate to over 70%. I'm at 60.8% and most of this is because I played a poo poo ton of stuff from ps+ and indie games during ps3 and vita Gen. I should try to go back and clean some of those low % off.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 3, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

I like the Xbox achievement tracker, mostly to check if something "counted" or to see how close I am to kill 1000 enemies or w/e. I'm glad PS5 has it. PS5 also seems to show you progress on non-trophy related goals too, which is neat.

Due to the 360 era (and now gamepass) I have way more achievements than trophies. About to break 100k points. I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I wish Xbox would just copy the platinum idea since I like everything else about achievements more. It seems like every PC game added to gamepass now also has XBL achievements, so it's pretty cool having my pc/console points going into the same bucket.

Yeah here's the thing about the tracker. A lot of games nowadays are very sane in their requirements. Remember early ps3 and Xbox 360 games? A lot of games back then wanted you to get x number of kills with a weapon or do 500 kills in multiplayer. The tracker was good for that. Yeah thanks ps5 for tracking the 13 miracles I needed for Demon's souls but that was easy to keep track of since you can go to your inventory. And when you're tracking rings it's not tracking which one you're missing. So you get a 38 out of 40 but that doesn't help you and you should be tracking that on your own.

Still I'd prefer to have it than not.

Oh another good benefit of actual tracking. We can figure out if a certain action is actually increasing the count or not. Making it much easier to figure out some trophy requirements.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

At least recently Steam added some options in your profile to showcase your achievement completion percentage, and even your "perfect" (what steam calls 100% achievements) games.

Also, Steam games do support achievement trackers; I'm about to finish up Control, which tracks. Mordor did, as well.

Oh, and I just changed my PSN ID to be inline with all my other accounts. (I edited my earlier post with this information).

https://psnprofiles.com/DrunkenEngineer

When I created this account in 2014 the tag "engineer" was blocked by Sony. It's unclear why, but there was some conjecture in Google results that it was to prevent folks from trying to impersonate Sony personnel, e.g. "PSNEngineer" or some such? All I know is when PSN ID changes went live I was still unable to get the tag I wanted, but checked it last night on a lark and lo and behold!

Anywho, I did some rough math on PSN level last night based on information Ineffiable provided earlier.

A typical trophy list on my profile provides about 1350 points for the base game with the Plat (are these values standardized like Xbox?)

At level 228 each level up is 450 points, so a single base game platted is ~3 levels. The first silver is level 300, and would take an additional 24 platinums if I left my existing progress as-is. Whew, that's going to take awhile, and pretty much impossible if I only played Sony exclusive titles.

Copying the info for the current page:

> New trophy point values:

Bronze: 15
Silver: 30
Gold: 90
Platinum: 300

> The only difference above is that platinum trophies are now worth more (300 points instead of 180). The values of bronze, silver, and gold trophies did not change.

> New trophy level calculation:

> Once again, the trophy level calculation is not a smooth curve, but rather has cut-offs. Here is how it works:

Levels 1 - 99: 60 points (4 bronzes) per level up
Levels 100 - 199: 90 points (6 bronzes) per level up
Levels 200 - 299: 450 points (30 bronzes) per level up
Levels 300 - 399: 900 points (60 bronzes) per level up
Levels 400 - 499: 1350 points (90 bronzes) per level up
Levels 500 - 599: 1800 points (120 bronzes) per level up
Levels 600 - 699: 2250 points (150 bronzes) per level up
Levels 700 - 799: 2700 points (180 bronzes) per level up
Levels 800 - 899: 3150 points (210 bronzes) per level up
Levels 900 - 999: 3600 points (240 bronzes) per level up

I think most trophy lists are standardized like Xbox with it coming in a range of 1000-1100 points for the base game with the last 300 coming from the platinum itself. (but there's some arcade/indie games that only have 300 pts total)

So yeah once you get your first silver rank, the requirement to go up a level doubles, with the second silver being 33% more than the previousand the final silver being 25% more than the previous. Also going from the second bronze level to the third bronze level is a difference of 5x the trophies. It's kind of clear why you might see most people be around 200-300 with more serious players who play a lot of stuff being in 400. It takes some massive effort (and years of playing) to even be in the 500+.

It's a pretty diminishing returns curve and at level 600+ I need almost two full games worth of trophies (plus one of the platinums) to go up one level. I'll most likely make it to beyond 700 before ps6 though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks for reposting the math!

What do folk's trophy hunting flow look like? Those of you on console, do you have your setup in the living room and use a mobile device to reference guides? Or is your console perhaps at your workstation desk and you can look up guides from a desktop PC?

Personally, I have my PS5 in the living room using the big screen OLED. I often use my phone to look up guides, and I'll shamefully admit that trophy/achievement difficulty has factored into some of my purchases as of late.

Upstairs is my deskbound PC using a single monitor. Of course looking up guides and hints is pretty straightforward there. I've been considering a couple things to make everything more comfortable/efficient.

1) Relocate the PS5 upstairs with it's own TV and play both it and PC from the same office space. Get a second PC monitor and use that for guides rather than alt-tabbing when playing PC.
2) Buy a larger mobile device (ipad? MS surface? laptop?) and use that in the living room.

Leaning heavily towards (1) for less costs and more comfort.

Here's my whole process. Should give you an idea of my routine.

I have a giant wishlist on Playstation (it's like over 50 titles).

Games fall into three categories:

1. Games I am hyped for and will buy day one. Elden Ring is an example. I'll probably start playing from day 1.

2. Games I'd like to play a lot. Usually waiting for 20-30% off before I buy. 13 Sentinels and Ghost of Tsushima were some of the last ones I got like these. I do tend to play these within one week/one month of purchasing.

3. Games that at least slightly interest me that gently caress it if it gets cheap enough I'll just grab it. Stuff like AC Valhalla or saints row the third remastered once it gets down to 75% or more off. A lot of this stuff is added to my library to whenever I want to get around to playing it.

I'm constantly building up my library and probably have several dozen potential games available to start anytime. On top of this, I try to keep about 3-5 games actively rotated at most. These are games where I've started a playthrough/trophy hunt of some form and either finishing the campaign/as many trophies as possible/platinum is when I wrap it up and remove it from rotation.

As for my actual trophy hunting, I do a quick research on a game before starting it. The key thing I look for is missable trophies. If there's nothing I can miss (Ghost of Tsushima or Spider-Man as examples) I'll forget any guides and play as much as I can blind.

I usually just keep a tab open on my phone and refer to it as needed. If a game is more involving to where I need to keep a checklist or video open, I have a cheap Amazon fire tablet for that. I would say less than 10% of my time is spent with like a phone or tablet directly on and in front of me. You really don't need guides open that often.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 6, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Pretty consistent with how I do it.

This is where I have typically ended up stopping...or saying "I'll come back and get the plat soon". I've learned I'll lose momentum if I wait too long.

Yeah there is definitely a point where if you can't get past this 'hump' , it's nearly impossible to just motivate yourself and get back without starting over.

Like not even plat wise, if you put down a game halfway through you're very likely not going to finish the story picking it up again a year later.

I try to drop a game off the rotation after I've gone through as much as possible, campaign and post campaign trophy clean up. So if there's still trophies to clean up its stuff I need to do another playthrough anyway or just a round of collectibles. Like how I got back to Titanfall 2 platinum after 4 years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm finally taking the plunge and starting my Persona 5 Royale playthrough and platinum. Yes I know it's gonna be long but at least it's easier. I did the original a few years ago.

I'm gonna try and do another game or so during breaks from p5r. I know it's a long rear end game and it will take a while to finish up properly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Today is the tenth anniversary of my very first platinum trophy.

Demon's Souls ps3.

Achieved in 1 month and 1 week, this 1st platinum trophy popped on 1/11/11

Still working on Persona 5 Royale and popping open overcooked 2 to grind out that platinum with the wife. It's always good to have games to play and trophies to pursue.

Sorry about that linear bounded Phenogram Dr. E. Maybe try Chaos;Child? It's still on sale I believe if you need another visual novel.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just achieved platinum number 234.

PEGGLE 2

-insert e3 peggle 2 air fist pump-

This was one I was grinding out a bit by bit during slow periods of work time (I work from home and moved my ps4 into my office space). I've had this game since 2016 but never really actually pursued the platinum. Now I have it and it really isn't that difficult with the dlc and just being patient (once you get the hang of the game and the special powers it's a matter of reloading the level and getting one of the optimal opening shots) it does take quite a bit of time though.

Shoot, now I need to find a new game that can be grinded out little by little.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I got the platinum for Persona 5, and then the next week I started P5R. I took a break when Cyberpunk came out, but I'm back on the road to the P5R platinum as I wait for Cyberpunk to be less of a mess on PS4.

I was trying to work out getting my Confidants maxxed out in my first playthrough, but that is seeming unrealistic the farther I get in the game. :(

Yeah I've done the original P5 years ago and now working on royale. But it doesn't require all confidant maxed out and complete the persona compendium so it's way better. Like if you engage in every activity at least once the only tricky part is making sure you have the true ending aimed for and max out all social stats.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Nice job!

I 100%ed Peggle 1 on the 360 and it took forever. Some of those challenges were ridiculous.

Yeah it really is long and will test your patience. I played the original on xbox (not sure if I got 100% but I bet i tried)

The dlc makes it easier because to get the platinum you need 180 accomplishments/challenges and that's how many the original game has. But the dlc adds another 60 so it's a matter of doing the easiest 180 out of the total 240. You'll still be doing quite a few full clears and some of the scores are a matter of getting lucky enough with opening shots. But be prepared to retry stages a lot.

I wanted to segue into this. I honestly believe that doing 100% on any game is 90% dependant on your patience for it.

There's many things you need patience for.

Collectibles? A hell of a lot of patience.

Playing the game multiple times? Patience/determination to keep going.

Almost everything that's skill based is going to depend on are you patient long enough to get enough practice and develop the skill necessary to get past the parts?

I'm sure most of us can get almost any platinum/100% we aim for but it's really coming down to how much you can preserve at it before giving up. In the last twelve months I've gone back and platinumed at least 3 or 4 games I've started years ago but finally actually putting in the effort to finish them. Feels nice to bring those to 100% after so long.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I know it's the achievements/trophies thread, but machine confidants unlocks the personas, and I have this need to complete the book regardless ;)

You're completely in the right because persona 5 royal has its own in game completion/achievement list too and filling up the book is definitely one of them. And I'm sure this thread doesn't celebrate just the system level achievement/trophies, in game achievement systems are fine to discuss too!

I am so glad they didn't make one of the trophies 'complete the thieves den achievement list' could you imagine how much longer the platinum would be?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh hey guys I managed another platinum today. This is a pretty big one.

After having it since launch I finally pushed myself to platinum:

Horizon Zero Dawn

This platinum was a difference of THREE YEARS AND NINE MONTHS between my first trophy and the platinum.

Gonna jump into the frozen wilds (probably won't 100% it but will do most of it) next.

Gonna try to finish persona 5 royal this weekend.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just finished Jedi Fallen Order platinum and also picked up overcooked 2 platinum.

Man Jedi Fallen order really has potential to be better. It is annoying as hell to do the trophies when there's no fast travel and you have to collect 100% everything (except some scans) and you also have to fill in the map 100%.

Anyways if you've seen the ps+ for February, it's a great lineup for trophy hunters. Control and concrete genie are nice plats and destruction all stars might need a bit of time but it looks pretty manageable. I'm not gonna try to buy any games during February and work on all three of those plus another few games in my backlog.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This should be fun for anyone with a Playstation account to check out.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/02/celebrate-your-gaming-year-with-playstation-wrap-up-2020/

Here's my stats:

3133 trophies earned in 2020

40 platinums

126 games played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Post your shameful hours played.

I saw another goon who had over 3k hours. He actually gets locked down in Ireland and went through that about three times.