Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Let's chat about achievements and trophies and the hunting and tracking of them and your obsession with that little ding.

Want to brag about getting something difficult or 100%ing a game?
Want to complain about being forced to find 7000 collectibles to get the 100%?
Want to post about your shame for paying $5 for a cheap game just because the achievements were easy?
Want to post about your shame for not playing a game you'd probably like just because the trophies were too hard or time consuming?
Want to talk about tracking websites, competitions, or the like?

This is the thread for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some resources:

Goon Leaderboards
TrueAchievements: https://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=4483
TrueTrophies: https://www.truetrophies.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=550

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm a bit of an addict.

So far, between this gen and last gen, I've 100%ed 237 games. I know for a fact that other people here (well, at least one) have done more.

I love hunting trophies, and I (mostly) love what going for them has done to the way I play games. They generally push me to play a lot more of a game than I normally would, and do additional things in them that I normally wouldn't (multiplayer, collectibles, superbosses, etc.). The amount of games that I start and then drop before finishing has plummeted, which is great - there are quite a few that I pushed through slow starts on and then enjoyed a lot later on.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

P5 is so good! I platted the original and am planning, like you, to also do it for P5R at some point.

No shame in finishing up games you love more than once. I've duped up on the Mass Effect games on different platforms, and will happily do them again if/when they receive remasters.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ones like that are fantastic. I tend to fall into ruts in playing certain types of game when my brain views an approach as "optimal", so having a reward for a Civ6 religious victory, or actually acting like an evil dictator in Tropico really helps incentivize trying out those playstyles. Or in different types of games, having trophies both for "kill everyone" and "kill nobody" type playthroughs.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Evil Badman posted:

Get through the game Achievements are great for devs to see how far people actually play their games.

Yeah this is actually a really cool use of them. It's surprising and a bit depressing how many people don't finish longer games. Or sometimes even the first mission of a game - I recently finished up Battle Worlds: Kronos and the trophy for beating the first mission has only been gotten by ~18% of people.

Generally, I like there to be a good balance. IMO, ~half of them should be for regular game progression or things likely to be done naturally while progressing the story. The other half should be "stretch goals", rewarding unconventional play, non-core content, collectibles, and the like. The worst are the ones that are purely there as time sinks, the most notorious being killing A HUNDRED THOUSAND ENEMIES in Gear of War 2.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Also, to kind of separate the wheat from the chaff, I like the "weighted" tracking sites like trueachievements/truetrophies, which give higher point values to achievements/trophies that have been gotten by fewer people. It makes it feel more rewarding to get a particularly difficult trophy, even if it's at the same tier as a basic story one.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

EorayMel posted:

I have yet to see an achievement harder/dumber than Dead Rising 1's 5/7-day Survivor, AKA survive at least 5 days or 7 days respectively in a single infinity mode session, where your health permanently and constantly ticks down and you have to fight the survivors and scavenge for limited food all while leaving your Xbox 360 on for at least 10/14 real-life hours(IIRC one real-life hour is 12 hours in Dead Rising's time) respectively again with no saves or checkpoints in it at all.

Rock Band 2 - The Bladder of Steel Award: "Complete the Endless Setlist 2 without pausing or failing."

6+ hours straight of playing an instrument, every song in the game. If you accidentally pause, like if a wireless controller disconnects, you don't get it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i got all the achievements in battlefied 2: modern combat some time ago

unless you have played that game's single player you cannot possibly comprehend how fuckin hard it is to get all the achievements for it.

https://www.trueachievements.com/a17250/exemplary-achievement

123 people getting it out of over 35,000 tracked on a site for people who specifically care about achievements definitely seems like something to be proud of, yeah. How long did it take you to get that?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

My proudest / longest is getting the platinum for Path of Exile. Took me ~250 hours total, though it probably should have taken me much longer - I got incredibly lucky with the rarest item in the game (mirror) dropping and was able to get some great equipment after selling that.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sony weirds me out sometimes.

I platinumed Far Cry 5 earlier in the week and they just sent me an email about it: "Congratulations, we always had Faith in you"

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Nice! I don't think I've ever been the first on anything (though I was probably near the top on Path of Exile). Partly because I just don't have the dedication to sprint towards it like that, but probably mostly because I tend to wait for games to go on sale. Since I play so many, that (and reselling afterwards) helps defray the costs of my habit quite a bit.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Drowning Rabbit posted:

On the topic of lovely collect-a-thons, I was unemployed for a while around 08-09 during the recession. During that time, I got the platinum in Saboteur on PS3.
Saboteur 100% buddy :hfive:

I did it on the 360, looking back at the achievements now...

quote:

Complete 239 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 3
Complete 425 ambient freeplay in the countryside
Complete 212 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 2
Complete 333 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 1
Complete 76 ambient freeplay in Le Havre
Complete 53 ambient freeplay in Saarbrucken

Yeesh.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As for bullshit multiplayer, I got the online trophies for Brutal Legend for winning 50 matches. I had found some random people on the forums that also liked the game and wanted to get those online trophies done before the servers were going to eventually be turned off, and we each would load into a match, and race each other to immediately conceding. I believe there was 4-6 people in our group, and we were all in voice chat, laughing when we would randomly get paired with someone not in the group and we would still instant concede.

Earlier in the week a friend and I spent a couple hours throwing shovels at each other in Far Cry 5 to get multiplayer trophies. At some point some pubbies joined and it actually became a pretty ridiculous fun time in a tiny arena with 6 people just throwing shovels at each other dodgeball style.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like thanks to stuff like that I've gotten scarily good at looking at highly specific achievement conditions and going "here's how you optimize the process so it takes five minutes instead of five hours".

Yeah, this is an important skill. Or figuring out what you should try to get done during the campaign, what you should save until afterwards, etc. Things like "get 50 kills with every weapon" are super annoying to grind out after you've spent 30 campaign hours using only your preferred ones.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Definitely no shame in that, Horizon is an absolutely fantastic game.

I just have the base platinum, didn't do the NG+ update ones. Was the NG+ ultra hard playthrough super difficult? I know in some games NG+ can end up being much easier than regular playthroughs, even with an upgraded difficulty, but then sometimes the benefits still aren't enough to counteract it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

man nurse posted:

You’re not alone, I’ve gotten the plat for Final Fantasy 15 and then went and did all the achievements again when it came out on PC. I really liked that game.

Did you do all of it? I got the base plat and a bunch of the DLC, but there's just so much available that it was hard to stay dedicated. Like I couldn't really get into Comrades, and still haven't brought myself to reinstall the whole thing and buy Episode Ardyn.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm currently playing Disgaea 5, and the plat for this one seems far more reasonable than previous entries. Like I beat Disgaea 3 with a whopping 3 trophies and apparently decided "nah, I'm good" when confronted with the rest.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

:D I used to be hugely active outside of Coupons, but then slowly retreated into it. I lurk all over the place though. Maybe this is me trying to be more active. :ohdear:

Your profile is impressive! My PSN stats pretty much start in 2012 as well, before that I was on the 360. I just hit 47, so in a pretty like-for-like comparison, you have me beat.

That Ikaruga one in particular seems imposing. Isn't that game notoriously difficult?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Several Goblins posted:

I think the most time-consuming one I have is the Plat for Final Fantasy 8 remaster, just because I'm one of fourteen people on the planet who love that game.

Worth it for the time spent on the card game alone. I can hear the music in my head as I type this... bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga bonga

I think I ended up rubber banding a controller on Cactuar Island to grind for this one, it was that kill 1000 enemies trophy that did it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

In news of "terrible implementations": I was just looking at a game Mosaic that's in the current PSN sale. Looked up the trophies and found this:

quote:

For those who don't know, every single achievement/trophy in the game is tied to a mobile clicker game in-main game called Blip Blop, where you press X for 15 hours

what

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Just got the Disgaea 5 platinum! ~75 hours total.

This game has a lot of grinding for the trophies, but since grinding and numbers going up is kind of the point of the game, they managed to make it feel really good so rarely was there tedium. The only real annoying parts were going for the bonuses in 50 stages since I didn't do it the first time, and trying to figure out and execute on the requirements for obtaining a legendary item.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

Demons souls (PS5) reserved for my 200th platinum.

I was going to do FF7 Remake for my 100th Platinum. Then I was close to 99 at the beginning of the year and didn't want to wait, so I decided to try for 107. I was at 106 when FF7R came out, played it once, and ended up deciding to put off my second playthrough so I could experience the game again relatively fresher. (and I'm hoping they do a PS5 patch for it) So those plans ended up being for naught.

... and now I'm at 138. Lot of indoor time this year.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

So I've been in the mood for Diablo / a Diablo clone recently, and I've already played through the major ones (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest). Because I am apparently incapable of playing a game through again without getting trophies for it, I now have a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS3 coming to me. Hopefully the performance still holds up decently.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one. I did briefly look into Warhammer Chaosbane, which people say is basically a Diablo clone, but reviews weren't fantastic.

Diablo 3 actually holds up pretty well on the PS3. There's a little bit of screen tearing here and there but overall the performance is good. Graphics aren't anything to write home about, but it does the job.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

man nurse posted:

I’m embarrassed to say I would play a lot more games on switch if I got meaningless good job stickers for playing them.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it seems arbitrary and pointless to care so much, on the other hand there are some legitimately good things that they inspire, and the meta-game of collecting them is fun.

I do find it strange that Nintendo didn't implement them, but considering they're even still just figuring out online services, maybe you can't have expectations too high.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one. I did briefly look into Warhammer Chaosbane, which people say is basically a Diablo clone, but reviews weren't fantastic.

Diablo 3 actually holds up pretty well on the PS3. There's a little bit of screen tearing here and there but overall the performance is good. Graphics aren't anything to write home about, but it does the job.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/torchlight_iii_comes_to_ps4_in_just_two_weeks

welp

Ineffiable posted:

I'm tired of neon pink.

Having gotten an HDR TV, I want super bright Neon everywhere.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm trying to figure out if you're bragging or embarrassed. Maybe a little of both?

Though I definitely have more embarrassing games, I think my most embarrassing trophy is Flight of the Bot in The PlayRoom. Super easy to get, but like six months ago when trying to kick one of the AR bots I accidentally kicked my table leg and am pretty sure I broke one of my toes.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oh, and I forgot how grindy some of the trophies were in Diablo 3. Most aren't too bad since they're stuff you'll do normally, but 500 bounties? Ugh. Since there's another trophy for getting one of each class up to level 70, I guess I'll just use them to level up after the story is done. Took me ~100 to get from 60 to 70 after beating the game on my first character.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I just came to post that!

Looks like they're going to be weighting platinums even more heavily in the new scoring system. I'm interested in seeing the effects this has.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oh man, I'm way more excited about this than the score reshuffle:

Allegedly that leaked on a PS blog site (translated from French) before they deleted it.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 7, 2020

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

EorayMel posted:

The one I want most of all is "Enemy Of The Physical Realm" where you must "Bang up 5 inanimate objects" by basically talking to random objects and picking the dialogue object where you scream and/or swear loudly before trying to kick it, usually resulting in damaging yourself, which can also lead to dealing enough damage you have a heart attack and it is game over.

This game has always sounded absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait until the PS4 version comes out.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

The gap will just get wider between us Dr E!
:negative:

quote:

* Every level after level 26 takes 10,000 points per level

So once you hit level 26, you're looking at about 8 full games per level, not including DLC.

Oh interesting, I didn't realize it stopped increasing. I thought each additional level took more than the last. Guess you weren't as far away as I thought you were. :P

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

Even though we're like *checks notes* 5 levels apart that means 40 entire games worth of trophies in difference. Kinda crazy to think about sometimes. And if you average like 75% per game that's more like 50 games then. Assuming those are all games with full trophy lists/platinums.

assuming you made no progress that's like, what, half a year of quarantine gaming

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

who knows if we'll progress past the first gold tier which requires 225,000 points, which is equal to half our lifetime progress getting from 0-600 which was helped by that we did ps3, vita and ps4 generations (and with the help of a bit of ps5 maybe)

Barring huge life changes, I don't think it's that unreasonable, though it'll definitely take a few years. At the beginning of this generation I was only at level 7, which may as well be nothing, so another 50-60% seems pretty doable.

Also, I wonder how many more trophies I would have if the progress tracking were in place on older consoles. I'm sure there have been quite a few where I saw that there was no way in-game to track how many widgets I found or whatever, and just didn't bother.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 8, 2020

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

And don't forget the ps3 had like... Almost two years without trophies?
Yeah, I'm still mad I got nothing for Heavenly Sword and Valkyria Chronicles. At least with the latter I was able to plat the remaster.

I was almost exclusively 360 last gen, though, so most of the PS3 trophies I've gotten still fall within the dates since this gen started. Would be nice to have a cross-platform tracking service.

Edit: I wonder if https://metagamerscore.com/ is any good.
Edit2: not really
Edit3: maybe just a coincidence but I think syncing my trophies/achievements to it broke the site

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 8, 2020

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

As of yesterday, I have gotten at least one trophy every single day for the past half of a year. (183-day streak, 1934 trophies)

Unfortunately, I've had to slow down recently due to some wrist issues, so I've mostly been "playing" games that play themselves, like clickers and visual novels on auto.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Archer666 posted:

I love the kind of games where you can get 60-70% of the achievements just by playing the game. Had Nioh 2 cleared up to around 70% after finishing the story, so over the week I decided to just grind out the last parts to get the plat trophy. Gonna see if I can 100% the DLCs over the weekend.

Yeah, story should be at least half of the total IMO. I was pissed when I played Disgaea 3 and there were zero story trophies.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

YES, that's another one, I have a whopping three trophies in it. And I didn't really like it, so I didn't feel like playing it a ton more just to get trophies. :mad:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ineffiable posted:

Just bumping this thread to let you guys know I achieved my 200th Playstation platinum and my 1st PS5 platinum with....

Demon's Souls.

(ps3 demon's souls was also my first platinum)

Awesome, congrats! Nice to have a pattern. Hopefully PS6 will have another remaster for you to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm still mostly out of commission and it makes me sad because my huge PS5 is basically currently just a Netflix / YouTube machine.