Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

For some reason I felt like trying the 'becomes the master' trophy from Titanfall 2. Well I got it this morning so I went on to finish Titanfall 2 on master, thus getting my first platinum of 2021.

What a coincidence, I just finished the Titanfall 2 platinum about 15 minutes before midnight, NYE with that exact same trophy! It took me about 5 hours over the course of two days, it was seriously one of the hardest trophies in my recent memory.

This is a neat thread, and trophy/achievement hunting has become a fun little way to engage in gaming for me. I love the little checklists and feeling more engaged, and it helps me prioritize titles I have in my library where I would otherwise spin out and not play anything.

I juggle between two accounts - Steam and Playstation. The PS4 is my first trophy tracking Sony console and I started playing it 2 years into the gen. I waffled between maining that or PC/Steam. Historically I've been a PC gamer. For a time circa 2015 I bought both a Steam and PS4 copy of major multiplat releases I enjoyed, either due to bad PC ports (Deus Ex Mankind Divided), or indecision between playing at a desk versus couch for games that played best with controllers (Mad Max, Witcher 3) or because my kitten (now cat) wanted to be on my lap (Fallout 4, Wolfenstein TNO).

That triggered some major weird OCP episodes having multiple copies of the same (unbeaten) games, but I focused on the copies I liked best (generally PC for performance issues) and slowly but surely chipped away at the PS4 trophies later when I felt like revisiting the games to quiet that little voice in my head. Games I disliked (Fallout 4) I didn't bother beating on either platform.

I've evolved a system that now works well for me deciding on Steam vs. Playstation for future purchases.

A) is it available on Steam?
B) does it offer tangible improvements in gameplay or technical performance over Playstation?
C) is it a FPS, where KBM is most comfortable for me?

Balance these between playing on Steam or Playstation. These aren't hard and fast rules but mean as gentle guiding principles. For example, I have Titanfall 2 on PS, where it was a freebie on PS+. I would objectively be more comfortable on the PC version, but at the time this was pre-EA-coming-back-to-Steam and it looked fun, so there we went!

The biggest rule I have for myself is seriously consider not having copies of games on multiple accounts per my explanations previously. And obviously, if the game sucks don't play it. Trophy/achievement hunting is meant to be a fun, rewarding challenge and hobby. If it's not fun move on to something else!

So...all that said, some of my recent milestones I'm proud of.

-Earned the platinum trophies in Witcher 3, Wolf TNO, and Mad Max (also earned 100% steam achievements for this title). These were previous double-dipped titles that I really really wanted to close the loop on.
-Earned 100% steam achievements for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor in anticipation of the WB servers closing down and locking out a couple cheevos.
-Earned the Demon's Souls PS5 platinum within the release window. By the time I get a way's into a game I'll have a good idea if I want to chase the plat/100%. If so, knock it out while the momentum is hot! I did that with DS, and will do so moving forward.

2021 Goals
-Increase my Steam profile Average Game Completion Rate up to 70% (currently 54%)
-Attempt the Platinum for Last of Us Remastered. I have a stretch goal to earn platinums in Sony-exclusive titles I really enjoy, and the big roadblock here is the arduous multiplayer.
-Platinum FF7R

Should be a great year for gaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Wow that's pretty cool! I'm not trying to brag, I did the trophy in under a hour of practice (I already knew how the run should go so it was a matter of nailing down my timing.

But I have 200+ hours of multiplayer practice. Titanfall 2 has been on my profile for over four years so it's kind of relieving to get it after all this time.

When did you get the demon's souls platinum? I did mine within one week (I've done the ps3 one three times on the same profile so I had a lot of experience).

I'm more likely to just buy a game on Playstation given my massive trophy record. But now with the Playstation 5 and Playstation 4 existing and allowing your account to be active on both, I am more likely to buy it if it's available on Playstation (I still have my ps4 so anytime I buy a game digitally, I get two fully functional copies!) and my ps4 is set up in my home office (I work from home currently) so I can do a little bit here and there every day before getting back to my ps5.

My platinums I will always remember is my trilogy of trilogies:

Dead Space 1-3

Dark Souls 1-3

Mass Effect 1-3

All dlc as well so they're all true 100%.

And of course being the first goon to hit level 600 (gold rank) on Playstation.

Im still going to aim for my next three milestones but they'll happen when they happen.

Trophy (achievement) hunting is a marathon not a sprint/grind. Yes you can grind individual games when right in the thick of them and you're super enjoying them because God knows there's dozens of games where we wouldn't have finished 100% if we didn't sit down and force ourselves to grind out the last bit. But you definitely can't be going from 60+ hour 100% games to the next 60+ hour 100% game the very next day. It really helps to break it up with smaller/easier games or even something like multiplayer where you'll just have fun and such.

I don't generally play FPS games on console so Titanfall 2 was pretty tough. Also, I played through it in February of 2020 (and beat it on Master) in prep to get the platinum and just...never got back to it. I cleaned up some single player trophies and the multiplayer ones before tackling the gauntlet and it still took an age because of fat fingers.

I got the Demon's Souls platinum December 29, 2020. So a little over a month after I started it. Pretty good for me as I'd never played the original and so it took me many runs to get everything. I purposefully went blind on my first NG run, ignored world tendency, and then started looking up guides. I avoided save scumming for all the miracle/spell achievements on one character. I had a STR/FAI character in NG++ and a MAG character in NG+ when I popped the platinum. Something like 70 hours over both toons.

Yah, my Steam history is much larger than Playstation, so that's why I just navigate to that platform in general. A lot of my conflict between the platforms is I just like Playstation's trophy system so much more. Especially now with PS5 and the little videos it takes. Steam achievements, while fun, are not the focus of that platform. Like how in Playstation you level up your account with accumulating trophies for points, Steam has a completely different metagame to engage in; achievements seem like an afterthought and are in play to be in step with the consoles. In fact it's comically easy to just unlock trophies using SAM, and I have many goons on my friends list I've snooped who have obviously done that.

For reference, my tags

https://psnprofiles.com/DrunkenEngineer
https://steamcommunity.com/id/drunkenengineer/

I would definitely plat/100% Mass Effect & Dead Space if they were available on current gen hardware. The PC copies of those have no achievements for ea. first two entries, which I own on Steam. Souls games I have on Steam and after Demon's Souls am seriously considering trying to work through the series again, and that's an approach that would contribute to my Steam AGCR goal.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 5, 2021

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Steam as you've said kinda doesn't matter much as an overall profile thing and people cheat anyway. Xbox achievements are pretty decent but no unique identifier for doing 100% and they mix up dlc achievements into the regular list all the time. What is cool is their unique notification when you get a rare achievement.

Xbox achievement trackers (the one that tells you that you're 50% of the way to completing an achievement) is cool but in practice it's actually not supported across the board and most serious hunters don't need the tracker that much. Playstation will have that starting with PS5 but like I said it isn't actually going to be used as much as it should be.

At least recently Steam added some options in your profile to showcase your achievement completion percentage, and even your "perfect" (what steam calls 100% achievements) games.

Also, Steam games do support achievement trackers; I'm about to finish up Control, which tracks. Mordor did, as well.

Oh, and I just changed my PSN ID to be inline with all my other accounts. (I edited my earlier post with this information).

https://psnprofiles.com/DrunkenEngineer

When I created this account in 2014 the tag "engineer" was blocked by Sony. It's unclear why, but there was some conjecture in Google results that it was to prevent folks from trying to impersonate Sony personnel, e.g. "PSNEngineer" or some such? All I know is when PSN ID changes went live I was still unable to get the tag I wanted, but checked it last night on a lark and lo and behold!

Anywho, I did some rough math on PSN level last night based on information Ineffiable provided earlier.

A typical trophy list on my profile provides about 1350 points for the base game with the Plat (are these values standardized like Xbox?)

At level 228 each level up is 450 points, so a single base game platted is ~3 levels. The first silver is level 300, and would take an additional 24 platinums if I left my existing progress as-is. Whew, that's going to take awhile, and pretty much impossible if I only played Sony exclusive titles.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Thanks for reposting the math!

What do folk's trophy hunting flow look like? Those of you on console, do you have your setup in the living room and use a mobile device to reference guides? Or is your console perhaps at your workstation desk and you can look up guides from a desktop PC?

Personally, I have my PS5 in the living room using the big screen OLED. I often use my phone to look up guides, and I'll shamefully admit that trophy/achievement difficulty has factored into some of my purchases as of late.

Upstairs is my deskbound PC using a single monitor. Of course looking up guides and hints is pretty straightforward there. I've been considering a couple things to make everything more comfortable/efficient.

1) Relocate the PS5 upstairs with it's own TV and play both it and PC from the same office space. Get a second PC monitor and use that for guides rather than alt-tabbing when playing PC.
2) Buy a larger mobile device (ipad? MS surface? laptop?) and use that in the living room.

Leaning heavily towards (2) for less expense and more comfort.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 29, 2021

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Pretty consistent with how I do it.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm constantly building up my library and probably have several dozen potential games available to start anytime. On top of this, I try to keep about 3-5 games actively rotated at most. These are games where I've started a playthrough/trophy hunt of some form and either finishing the campaign/as many trophies as possible/platinum is when I wrap it up and remove it from rotation.

This is where I have typically ended up stopping...or saying "I'll come back and get the plat soon". I've learned I'll lose momentum if I wait too long.

I'm considering picking up the Darksiders games on PSN rather than Steam purely for comfort of sitting on the couch...and the trophy system. I'd technically be violating my "don't buy two copies of a game" as I have Darksiders 2 in my Steam library and started it when it launched, but never made it past a couple of hours and now at least one achievement is unobtainable due to server closure. (The offending achievement was removed in the remastered versions).

Anyone have thoughts on those games? I'll pick up my Steam copy again and tootle around a bit and if it interests me enough considering grabbing the titles on PSN and cranking through the relatively straightforward plats.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm considering picking up the Darksiders games on PSN rather than Steam purely for comfort of sitting on the couch...and the trophy system. I'd technically be violating my "don't buy two copies of a game" as I have Darksiders 2 in my Steam library and started it when it launched, but never made it past a couple of hours and now at least one achievement is unobtainable due to server closure. (The offending achievement was removed in the remastered versions).

Anyone have thoughts on those games? I'll pick up my Steam copy again and tootle around a bit and if it interests me enough considering grabbing the titles on PSN and cranking through the relatively straightforward plats.

I proceeded with this plan! :toot:

So far Darksiders 1 is very engaging. Storyline is schlocky but the gameplay is excellent and I can see where a lot of it was aped by later games.

The fast traveling and loot system seems heavily borrowed in God of War 2018, for example.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I got the platinum trophy for Darksiders last night. I really enjoyed it, except for the grinding for weapon level ups and the hilarious trophy for "riding 100 miles on the horse" that you will never ever get by playing naturally.

I went old-school and used a rubber band while I played Doom Eternal on my PC. :thumbsup:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Just finished Jedi Fallen Order platinum and also picked up overcooked 2 platinum.

Man Jedi Fallen order really has potential to be better. It is annoying as hell to do the trophies when there's no fast travel and you have to collect 100% everything (except some scans) and you also have to fill in the map 100%.

Anyways if you've seen the ps+ for February, it's a great lineup for trophy hunters. Control and concrete genie are nice plats and destruction all stars might need a bit of time but it looks pretty manageable. I'm not gonna try to buy any games during February and work on all three of those plus another few games in my backlog.

I came back to Jedi once they added Steam achievements to fill out my 100% and agreed, the lack of fast travelling was a pain. Luckily there were Metroid-style shortcuts on most maps but even then it was hard to come back to. Great game, though. Hopeful they make a sequel.

Control is fantastic. I got 100% on Steam and it's pretty straight forward save for two issues:

1) The second DLC collectable achievement requires 100%, so you'll need a guide.
2) The "Vending Spree" achievement, where you destroy possessed vending machines, can often bug out. I had to restart the DLC post-game in order to get spawns and then it was relatively straight forward.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Post your shameful hours played.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Several Goblins posted:

Out of curiosity, how do our resident completionists feel about various platform's trophies? I loved me some Xbox Achievements back in the day, but somewhere along the way I stopped caring about them. And yet, for whatever reason, I still love Playstation Trophies and go for the platinum on games I love.

And Steam achievements are absolutely as valid as any other, but I've never cared about them at all, which I think was in part to that program that can unlock them for you making them feel less legitimate. Which, they are, OhFunny, keep rocking towards that Persona 4 100%. And then there's the outlier of games that have in-game achievements like Smash Bros - is the compulsion the same to get those when there's not as much of a front-facing way to show you've earned them?

Just wondering what everyone's various weird hierarchies for achievements are in comparison to mine.

I maintain a Steam and PSN account, and struggle to balance the improved technical performance of PC gaming versus (in my opinion) the much better implemented achievement systems in consoles.

In a vacuum, I like the PSN trophy system the best, for basically all the reasons Ineffiable stated. And with the PS5, I appreciate the little video vignettes that are snapped upon earning a trophy. Sony exclusives are what attracted me to the system (I was one of those snobby PC >>>> console folks when I was much younger) and the Trophy system has retained me.

Likewise, I agree the Steam achievement system is valid but clouded by the potential for folks to cheat and use an unlocker. There is a serious Steam achievement hunting community out there with 3rd party tracking sites that will absolutely ban you if you get caught, so moderation does exist but it's not going to ever come from Valve.

I have an Xbox 360 Gamertag but it's pretty much abandoned and I never paid attention to it's achievements.

I never pay attention to in-game milestones/achievements unless it contributes to an outward facing system achievement.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Does steam not have an achievement tracker?

Xbox (since Xbox one) and ps5 games now can track progress within an achievement/trophy so you can see how many you're missing.

This isn't directed to me, but does the console versions of Persona 4 have progress trackers? Steam has this capability but it's game-specific and not application wide.

In other news, I'm still cranking away on the Darksiders 2 platinum. The collectible system in the game is pretty annoying, and I would absolutely recommend anyone who attempts this to at least track their own collectible progress as they work through the game. Had I been noting which collectibles I picked up, and generally where, it would have made my clean-up stage significantly easier.
Collectibles in the game are tracked globally, so if you have 34/35 mystic stonebites, and you didn't note where you picked them up, you literally have to follow a guide and check every spot mentioned.

Also, playing through with a guide open the first run is acceptable. But this isn't a Sony first party title like GoW or Spider-Man where collectibles are easy to find, so buyer beware.

Still a really fun game and I'd been meaning to check out the series for some time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Y'all steam achievement hunters need to manage your expectations.

That'll get you banned from most 3rd party leaderboard sites. And it defeats the spirit of the hunt!

fake edit: But yeah, this is a big reason why Steam achievements aren't viewed as "legit" in most people's eyes. Though I understand you can still hack console trophies/achievements, but it's likely more obscure than SAM.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

PS5 version of FF7 Remake announced. Glad I held on to my disc copy! I hope there's a separate trophy list.

I still have a hard mode playthrough on the PS4 version to do, though, so I can plat that one. Not sure if I'll finish that off first or jump right into the PS5 one.

I'm in the same boat, and I think I'll finish up the PS4 copy before tackling the PS5. I imagine going PS5 -> PS4 copy will be disappointing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Speaking of PS4 -> PS5 upgrades, are most of those title's autopopping trophies when booting up the PS5 version?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Nioh 2 pops like 80% of the trophies (Nioh 1 is the same way) but it takes only takes like two hours to pop the missing trophies.

The big factor in the auto pop is if the game supports save transfer. Yakuza Like a Dragon won't, so I held off playing that game until the PS5 version. Crash 4 does have a save transfer so it'll probably auto pop.

So that being said, would the auto-pop go the other direction?

My dilemma is for FF7R and the announced PS5 update; I was about to do my hard mode play through in the next month on the PS4 version and put that platinum to bed.

Assuming I plat the PS4 version that would presumably auto pop in PS5, but my broke galaxy brain wouldn’t do much playing of the PS5 version if I had all the trophies. However, if it works the other way around I’d gladly hold off and get the PS5 plat if it will pop the PS4 trophies. I kind of doubt it, though.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Again it even depends on the game. The spiders men's games only transfer from ps4 to ps5. Same for No Man's Sky.

Nioh 2 allows for transfers in either direction. So I was able to play ps5 then backport to ps4 and pop it.

I would say there's a good chance that ff7r only goes from ps4 to ps5 and it probably will auto pop trophies.

The reason is the ps5 ff7r is the only one with yuffie dlc. Maybe they don't want to risk that invalid data going back to ps4.

If you're not gonna do multiple playthroughs I think you should port your ps4 ff7r to ps5 and then get the platinum there. If you're only getting the platinum once, why not double up on the rest of the trophies and get ps5 plat?

Ideally I want to get both Plats, while maximizing "fun"; it's conceivable that if I get the PS4 plat, and autopop the PS5, I'll have little incentive to investigate the improvements the PS5 version holds (besides the Yuffie DLC). Likewise if I just get the PS5 plat from my PS4 progress, I'll absolutely want to go back and clean up the PS4 trophies, and I'll probably be disappointed with the PS4 version after the improvements in the PS5 copy.

BUT, as I understand it the autopop is dependent on importing a save, so I could just work on the PS4 plat and make that save state import decision when the PS5 version drops, right?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’m being dumb and chasing the plat for a multiplayer game. A dead one, too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've got a lot of irons in the fire.

PSN - Finishing up the platinum/100% for Star Wars Battlefront (2015). Doing this has required a lot of boosting & coordination with a Discord community and it has been great experience, though challenging. I only have 2 online trophies left and a slew of offline ones to go!

Steam - Hades (going for all cheevos), Rise of the Tomb Raider (just a playthrough at least), Doom Eternal (DLC2 just released so I need those to keep my 100%).

After these titles I will work on The Last of Us (PSN) multiplayer for the plat, and then work on the FF7R (PSN) plat before the PS5 update hits in June.

For my two platforms I have the following goals for 2021 that have evolved:

PSN - chip away at multiplayer trophies so I don't have to worry about any server closures. It's why I popped back in to Battlefront, which I've been told is the hardest game on my trophy list just because of the server population. The other games to tackle will be the aforementioned TLOU, GTA5 (heard it's relatively easy to solo), RDR2 (ditto), and Rocket League (just a fun game I never gave a shot). I reserve the right to abandon any of these if they suck.

Steam - Get my global achievement rate up to 60% (currently 55%). Many ways to tackle this as I've got about 100 games in my library contributing to this. I'm really interested in getting the 100% in the Dark Souls games on Steam, of which I have the original Prepare to Die Edition of DS1, vanilla DS2, DS3, and DS1R. I beat PTDE DS1 back when it was on windows live, but missed the window to get achievements moved over to Steam so I have plenty to unlock. I never beat DS2.

Also, I have been tinkering with an Nvidia Shield for Steam Big Picture mode on my couch and it works wonderfully. Now I can play controller-friendly Steam games comfortably from the couch!

And finally, if any new titles release of course those take precedent; I won't be adding games to my backlog unless they are free (looking at you, PS+).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

A question for you Anti-hero.

Does steam count games you bought but haven't played, in your achievement % rate?

For Playstation it only counts once you launch them and oddly enough psnprofiles.com only counts games you've earned at least one trophy in

Steam is like PSNProfiles - only counts once you've earned a single achievement.

So I have 159 games in my steam library, of which 102 count. I have a slew of games with sub 5% achievements earned (Rise of the Tomb Raider) so at least getting a playthrough of those titles will improve my AGCR (Average Game Completion Rate).

Also, if you gently caress around with the unlocker and decided to relock any cheevo after you earned it, it still counts in your rate. If you buy a Steam game, unlock some achievements, and then decide you want a refund, those achievements still count, too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Gotcha. And if you do play a game that was at 0% before, if you can get it over your average completion rate, then it's still helping your average. But you don't wanna start a game and only get to 25% which will hurt that average.

Once I catch up on some more of my backlog I want to take another look at my ps3 games and see where I can do the most improvement.

It's really difficult at my level though, I have a 63.41% rate (aiming for 70%) but this is over 734 games (counting 0% ones too) it's going to be a very slow grind but I keep working at it day by day. It really helps me stop from just hopping around from game to game and I'm more likely to focus on a few games until they're mostly finished.

For those 0% games, can't you delete them from your trophy list?

I was originally aiming for 70% on my Steam account this year, but ran the numbers in a spreadsheet and I'd have to 100% over a dozen started games in my calculation and starting with 60% for me is more manageable. Gotta have little milestones!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

To be honest I view trophies as a scrapbook of gaming memories. I won't ever delete anything. For good or bad, it stays. I won't ever regret getting any platinum or trophy.

I really, really like this sentiment. Thanks for sharing it. It’s great to keep this little hobby in perspective.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Absolutely, that's the fun of it for me. I can go back and say 'I beat the poo poo out of bloodborne with 100%' and I've got proof for anyone that doesn't believe me. And it's fun scrolling through what you recently played.

In the end as long as you're enjoying it and having fun, that's all that matters.

The only rule I have with trophies is I won't let anyone do the work for me or hack in trophies. That's the only ones that are invalid to me. If the game let's you unlock them (nier automata) or you can do a glitch that anyone with the same copy of the game can do, then it's fair game.

What's this about nier unlocks??

I also don't feel like "boosting" is cheating, either. I still have had to work hard to get a group of people together and all the challenges represented in herding cats, it's still a valid completion.

It's a bummer that hacking achievements on Steam is so trivial, so it loses some of that validity, but again this hobby is just for me and we don't answer to anyone but ourselves (and spouses, hah). And while Steam achievement hacking is the most visible, it's apparently almost as straight forward to hack trophies on PSN.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Oh speaking of, finished up overcooked all you can eat (ps4), and Sly 2 (vita) platinums to (Un?)officially become the goon with the most Playstation platinums.

I'll keep on gaming! Loading up Sly 2 on the vita while still working on DBZ: Kakarot.

Sounds like you are motoring along!

I figured it would be good for me to post a quarterly update. I only popped into this thread during the New Year, and now feels like a good time to reflect on my progress.

Checking my spreadsheet (neeeeeeeeerrrrrdddddd) I can see I've met a lot of milestones, and it's been a ton of fun! My nature and work habits reinforces my tendency to spin my wheels and overthink things, and having this thread as a planning outlet has been pretty helpful.

To reiterate, trophy hunting is really a small aspect of my gaming habit and a way to provide direction in which and what games to engage in. If a new release comes out, or another title in my library piques my interest, those breadcrumbs should be followed on a whim!

Here is a little copy/paste from spreadsheet.

code:
Date		Title		Platform	Notes
12/31/2020	Titanfall 2	PSN		Platinum/100%
1/2/2021	GRIS		Steam		100% cleanup
1/6/2021	Control		Steam		100% cleanup
1/15/2021	Carrion		Steam		100% playthrough
1/21/2021	Darksiders	PSN		Platinum/100%
1/25/2021	Monkey2		Steam		100% cleanup
2/19/2021	Doom Eternal	Steam		100% cleanup
2/21/2021	Darksiders 2	PSN		Platinum/100%
2/26/2021	Darksiders 2	Steam		90% playthrough
2/27/2021	Maneater	PSN		Platinum/100%
3/27/2021	SW Battlefront	PSN		100% online
4/3/2021	Doom Eternal	Steam		DLC2/100% cleanup
While it looks like a pretty big lull in March, in fact I was cranking away at the multiplayer trophies in SW Battlefront, of which I'm very pleased that I got them all. I've also sprinkled in Hades (Steam) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (Steam), of which the latter I beat the campaign yesterday.

Rise has a huge huge huge DLC list, but for now I'm going to focus on "Platting" the base game, even though Steam has no such thing, and the Baba Yaga DLC. This requires clearing the map (98% currently), running through Score Attack mode, and cleaning up misc. achievements. The endurance mode achievements are lowest priority at the moment. I should be sitting at 60% achievements after this, which is inline with my overall completion rate goal.

This weekend I need to sit down and get the platinum in SW Battlefront. I've lost steam at the home stretch, in having some pretty boring offline mode trophies left that are frustrating. Luckily the really hard ones can be done coop. Once that's done my next MP project will be Last of Us Factions mode; I've wanted that plat for years!

fake edit: It's been said in this thread that trophy hunting is a marathon, not a sprint. Oh how true that is. I average about 15-20 hours/week gaming, which is probably not as much as others, and it's great to look back and appreciate how much progress I can make in that time.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 5, 2021

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

saltylopez posted:

Almost finished with the plat for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I just need to finish the game on its version of hard difficulty.

It's been frustrating so far as the checkpoint system is removed and if you die you restart at the last camp you found, which could have been 40 minutes in the past in some parts of the story. Further sources of frustration are that load times are really bad and you have the ability to skip cutscenes but only sometimes. Bizarrely the longest cutscenes won't let you skip because the game is hiding a loading screen behind it.

I did this on Steam for the previous game, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and it was very frustrating losing progress to dying in a poo poo platforming section. Easily added a half dozen hours to my completion time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Man, I'm really burning myself out juggling two achievement platforms (Steam, PSN) and trying to make progress on both. I need to rethink my approach here.

Out of the two, PSN trophies are more fun for me, and honestly a more feasible account to make progress on. On Steam I have ~160 games in my library, of which ~100 have achievement progress and currently at 56% completion rate. PSN I have 35 games and a 62% completion rate and I feel more motivated chasing platinum trophies, especially in console exclusive games, rather than my Steam account where I have a good deal of "meh" games I've built up progress in. Several Steam games have unobtainable achievements, or just aren't interesting at all for me to revisit.

It makes the most sense for me to accept the accounts as I've been treating them - PSN for trophy hunting, 100% chasing, and Steam for just playing games and tackling achievements if I feel like it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I've been following your progress and absolutely, I have to agree, you can only focus on one platform. I used to try and mix Xbox(if I ever retire, I may try to pick up 100% rare replay) and Playstation but it was taking too much time.

I play nintendo/exclusive/some indie games on switch.

On xbox I use my free gamepass to demo games and see if I want to buy those games on Playstation.

On Playstation, that's where I actually make an effort to have high completion rates, get every trophy, platinums as I can.

For my Steam account I've been thinking of scheduling some kind of "grab bag" session, where I pick up a random game from my profile and play it for the evening and see if it interests me. Save the goal focused, trophy clearing OCD for my PSN account where it's more rewarding.

Steam is where I play shooters/indies/PC exclusives, PSN for everything else.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I decided to join this and the leaderboard. I'm very much a poor achievement hunter, but what the heck. At least right now, I default to being the runner up!

poo poo, I shouldn't join this so I can focus on one gaming platform, but it's so tempting...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Alright I've cut my backlog down enough that I've ready to 100% another game.

I've selected Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. (LucasArts sure loved em some colons back then)

I had completed a play through of the game a week before Aspyr brought all those updates to it so I didn't have the motivation finish the game again so soon.

Loved me some KOTOR1 - been holding off on replaying it on Steam in the hope it gets the same treatment KOTOR2 received.

I just got the Platinum & 100% for Darksiders 3 this afternoon. Overall I'd say it was a mixed experience. It's a poor Dark Souls clone, and a disappointing follow up to Darksiders 2. It was still fun, and pretty uncomplicated to play, but there are better titles out there I'm sure. I wouldn't play it again.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Glad I could be of service!

The collectibles in Darksiders 3 are MILES AND MILES better than 2. You don't need to collect all of them, and the progress carries over into NG+.

Darksiders 2, oh drat was that a pain.

I really loves Souls games and really want to revisit Dark Souls 1-3. I have the plat for Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, and the Steam 100% for Sekiro. Souls are on Steam and I'm musing about just picking them up on PSN when I see a sale next for the sweet trophies.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I think the game with the most individual achievements is probably still the halo master chief collection. It has 700 individual achievements.

To be fair that's split over halo 1, halo 2, halo 2 anniversary, halo 3, halo odst, halo 4, halo reach.

I believe Binding of Isaac on Steam rivals that with about 600 achievements, for one title. It's the most I know of for a "legitimate" (i.e. non-achievement farming) game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have two new milestones to report.

I earned the platinum & 100% for Star Wars Battlefront 2015 and for Ratchet and Clank.

The former was very special for me, as I was a huge SW nerd growing up and really love the aesthetic of the original trilogy. Battlefront was my first, and really only, attempt to play a competitive shooter game on a controller (besides OG Halo) so I have a lot of fond memories. The playerbase now is pretty much dead and it required a lot of organizing through a community Discord to even get lobbies going for the DLCs, and it honestly burned me out a bit on tackling any other multiplayer games for awhile, but it was very rewarding to get that platinum to pop.

R&C is just a nice palate cleanser of a game. Nothing hard, nothing serious about it. I have no familiarity with the R&C franchise so I played the game blind a couple years ago, and just revisited it last week to clean up the trophies, which annoyingly required a second playthrough. I wouldn't say this is a Sony exclusive that people should absolutely play, as I found it pretty shallow, but what you see is what you get and I don't regret spending some time on it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I popped open my Steam Rarest Achievement showcase (level 2) and this is what it reports:

Dishonored - Harm's Way (2%)
RAGE 2 - Zipper (1%)
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - Not So Fast (1%)
Rise of the Tomb Raider - Extreme Survivor (1%)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Tablet Collector (1%)
Doom Eternal - Truce between Demons (1%)
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Ring (1%)
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor - Beyond Epic (1%)
Doom Eternal - 1-Upmanship (0.9%)
Doom Eternal - Blood Bath (0.9%)
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor - The Hunt is my Mistress (0.9%)
Doom Eternal - Weapons Expert (0.8%)
Doom Eternal - Live Die Reload (0.6%)

The only ones I would considered difficult/time costly are the Tablet Collector for DXMD (super missable, needs a guide), SoM time trials (especially Hunt is my mistress) and maybe the Tomb Raider difficulty level. The Doom Eternal achievements in particular aren't that impressive.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just started playing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition after playing a ton of the original (admittedly I didn’t 100% it, but I did go out of my way to get a lot of the achievements over a couple of playthrus). Turns out that a lot of people are having issues with broken achievements in the Enhanced Edition, and it might have something to do with the way save data carries over from the original game.

But even if I start a brand new game in a new save slot, the game has wonky ideas of your progression. So some things unlocked way too fast (like running over x enemies in the van, or using 500 chemical units to clean weapons) while others appear to be impossible to unlock (like the kaleidoscope and “kill 90 cannibals” achievements).

Something tells me this is a pretty low priority thing that isn’t going to get fixed.

:negative:

I've been holding off on that for many reasons, including the buggy achievements. Same with Returnal on PS5, was reading it had lots of problems at launch with trophies bugging out (not sure if that's been fixed?)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

the latter number counts people who have never launched the game once, which is part of why I was saying the site's numbers are more representative of actual rarity

I’m not sure that’s true. Steam doesn’t count achievements against your account until you earn at least one, so I imagine the same holds true on the calculated rarity.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

this is one of several games that has an achievement for launching the game: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/341500/achievements

steam has the rarity at under 50%

Huh, I learned something today.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Looks like FF7R Intergrade will repop your trophies.

https://twitter.com/MakoSOLIDER/status/1400253568674848768

Can we go the other way? PS5 back pop PS4 trophies?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Rats. So yeah I’d need to finish up my FF7 PS4 plat before playing the PS5 version. Once I pop the PS5 I’d likely never go back to PS4.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm working on GTA5 Online trophies and found a good boosting group to get through the DLC heists. What an absolute pain in the rear end. Once I'm done with cleaning up multiplayer trophies on my PSN profile I vow to keep MP titles to Steam where achievements mean less, so I never have to worry about a server shutdown again.

Also likely getting sidetracked on this since I'm going to pop in to WoW Classic soon.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Pretty sure some of those games have unobtainable cheevos, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

rock band 2 has one discontinued achievement, but i already have it. the rest are still 100% achievable for anyone even if they start it right now.

Nice, glad you caught it early. I’m doing the same thing on my PS profile - taking care of online trophies that might go bye-bye.