Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

First impressions of Spirited Away from someone who's interests do not come close to Anime.

For context, I am a 6ft 260lb Strongman who likes Quentin Tarantino films, drinking good quality IPAs, Bourbon and Rum. I like tech-metal and heavy electronic music. I have never had any interest in anime before, it has never appealed to.me, nothing about it.

I had surgery on my arm last week and am signed off work for the next 6 weeks, can go for a walk, but can't drive. I cannot use my right hand so am fairly limited in what I can do.

Today, I decided to out my prejudice behind me and give Spirited Away a go, I had heard of Studio Ghibli and thought, 'why not?'

I have to admit, I absolutely loved it. I had no idea what to expect, but I love how the story evolves constantly. The whole film escalates continuously in a dream like world that kept my attention the entire way through. I'm prone to drifting during films, but I was watching properly the whole time.

The plot, characters, storyline and setting kept expanding, so rapidly, that before long I wasn't concentrating on the 'why's', just accepting what was happening for the sake of an adventure film and going with it.

Don't get me wrong, I have so many questions that I'm happy to leave unanswered, such as:

Why are they all animals?

Why are there some humans that noone is questioning?

What is No-Face?

Why does the bathouse business need to exist?

Why is there suddenly a Geisha house?

Why is there a disproportionate amount of frogs?

Why does the bird lady look identical to Margaret Thatcher?

Why is No-Face eating everybody?

What on earth is this giant baby doing?

Why does Alice in Wonderland look like a day trip to the beach after this?

Why does No-Face go completely back to normal after leaving?

I think No-Face is absolutely fantastic for reasons unbeknownst to me.

I was dreading that there would be a 'she woke up and it was all a dream' ending and was glad to see there was a subtler, more clever ending to it than that.

Highly impressed, never thought I'd watch an anime film yet alone enjoy it.

look at the scorn she has on her face for that really loving lovely year 12 formal tie knot and crease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

First impressions of Spirited Away from someone who's interests do not come close to Anime.

For context, I am a 6ft 260lb Strongman who likes Quentin Tarantino films, drinking good quality IPAs, Bourbon and Rum. I like tech-metal and heavy electronic music. I have never had any interest in anime before, it has never appealed to.me, nothing about it.

I had surgery on my arm last week and am signed off work for the next 6 weeks, can go for a walk, but can't drive. I cannot use my right hand so am fairly limited in what I can do.

Today, I decided to out my prejudice behind me and give Spirited Away a go, I had heard of Studio Ghibli and thought, 'why not?'

I have to admit, I absolutely loved it. I had no idea what to expect, but I love how the story evolves constantly. The whole film escalates continuously in a dream like world that kept my attention the entire way through. I'm prone to drifting during films, but I was watching properly the whole time.

The plot, characters, storyline and setting kept expanding, so rapidly, that before long I wasn't concentrating on the 'why's', just accepting what was happening for the sake of an adventure film and going with it.

Don't get me wrong, I have so many questions that I'm happy to leave unanswered, such as:

Why are they all animals?

Why are there some humans that noone is questioning?

What is No-Face?

Why does the bathouse business need to exist?

Why is there suddenly a Geisha house?

Why is there a disproportionate amount of frogs?

Why does the bird lady look identical to Margaret Thatcher?

Why is No-Face eating everybody?

What on earth is this giant baby doing?

Why does Alice in Wonderland look like a day trip to the beach after this?

Why does No-Face go completely back to normal after leaving?

I think No-Face is absolutely fantastic for reasons unbeknownst to me.

I was dreading that there would be a 'she woke up and it was all a dream' ending and was glad to see there was a subtler, more clever ending to it than that.

Highly impressed, never thought I'd watch an anime film yet alone enjoy it.

lol

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

By what bloody power does Nathaniel Andrews think he has to try to stop a magical non existent virus that literally started in Wuhan, china?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remember when Morrison was against asylum seekers being able to go to a funeral?

Apparently they must be more dangerous than Coronavirus.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Senor Tron posted:

Remember when Morrison was against asylum seekers being able to go to a funeral?

Apparently they must be more dangerous than Coronavirus.

We are at risk of losing our humanity, says man proudly displaying a trophy for indefinitely locking up children.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I am very pro border restrictions but that case was one in which Morrison was right and Palaszcuk was wrong. The bereaved in question was flying in from the ACT, where there's no community transmission. What was the risk?

edit - I'm not saying Morrison wasn't politically motivated, obviously he was. But so was Palaszcuk. Taking a hardline "no exceptions" rule to "send a message" is lovely when we do it for international migrants and lovely when we do it to our own people too.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-11/live-blog-nsw-government-liberal-national-stoush-over-koalas/12652672

NSW Nats double down on being craven little shits.

KM was one of three people from the Northern Territory's Ntaria community, or Hermannsburg, killed when a car rolled on Larapinta Drive on 22 December 2012. The car was being driven by her husband, who was intoxicated and ignored pleas from her and others to stop. The driver pleaded guilty to three counts of dangerous driving causing death. The coroner did not consider them to be deaths in custody because police only made a brief attempt to stop the car before falling back, and had lost sight of the car when it crashed.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Spirited Away is good

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lmao they backed down

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

PICTURED: A man who is not mad, or owned.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

lmao they backed down

Yup. One of the Nationals MPs is reportedly still going to sit on the crossbench, taking the NSW government majority down to one. Some change, but not much.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-nationals-back-down-after-berejiklian-s-ultimatum-20200911-p55ult.html

There's mention of "concessions" that the Nationals are going to get, whatever they might be.

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 11, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

I am very pro border restrictions but that case was one in which Morrison was right and Palaszcuk was wrong. The bereaved in question was flying in from the ACT, where there's no community transmission. What was the risk?

edit - I'm not saying Morrison wasn't politically motivated, obviously he was. But so was Palaszcuk. Taking a hardline "no exceptions" rule to "send a message" is lovely when we do it for international migrants and lovely when we do it to our own people too.

Indefinite asylum seeker detention and hotel quarantine during a literal pandemic are not even close to the same situation.

Palaszcuk didn't make the call, they passed on Morrison's info and let their CHO make the call.

There was an exception. The bereaved was offered a private viewing but not exempted to attend the funeral proper to mix with other people.

Yes, hard borders/no exemptions rhetoric is a political tool, it shouldn't be (and wasn't) applied. Limiting movement and contact between people is the most effective measure to control covid.

It is absolutely awful for that person, for that family, but poo poo sucks for a lot of people right now. It will suck a lot more if too many exemptions are made and they go full victorian.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pikehead posted:

There's mention of "concessions" that the Nationals are going to get, whatever they might be.

Just the one sack of dead koalas

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Nats are cowards

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I've become convinced that the Nats are literally the most destructive political force in the country. Dinosaurs with a tiny (<6%) voter base who wield enormous power, ruining the country.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

I've become convinced that the Nats are literally the most destructive political force in the country. Dinosaurs with a tiny (<6%) voter base who wield enormous power, ruining the country.

Tony Abbott has joined the chat

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

There was an exception. The bereaved was offered a private viewing but not exempted to attend the funeral proper to mix with other people.

Yes, hard borders/no exemptions rhetoric is a political tool, it shouldn't be (and wasn't) applied. Limiting movement and contact between people is the most effective measure to control covid.

There's more COVID in Queensland than in the ACT. She would literally be more at risk from the other funeralgoers than they would be from her.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pikehead posted:

Yup. One of the Nationals MPs is reportedly still going to sit on the crossbench, taking the NSW government majority down to one. Some change, but not much.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-nationals-back-down-after-berejiklian-s-ultimatum-20200911-p55ult.html

there are none. they took a new proposal to gladys and got told no, get hosed.

quote:

The Nationals had earlier resolved to push for early talks in September and had compiled a list of changes that they wanted. But the premier insisted on normal processes and declined to offer concessions.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ed-as-untenable

and now his leadership is being condemned as untenable.

if they weren't all a bunch of dropkicks you'd think someone set him up to get rid of him. (no, they're too loving stupid)

hambeet fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 11, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
His leadership is being deemed untenable from the same brain genius who got themselves into this mess so given that standard of competence he might end up being Nat Leader for Life.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

freebooter posted:

I couldn稚 go to a funeral either so yeah it loving sucks but don稚 get sucked into the LNP points scoring game here.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It isn't just a point scoring game though. It's families being separated lol.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Amethyst posted:

It isn't just a point scoring game though. It's families being separated lol.

Okay cool I値l let the asylum seekers know that they値l be reunited with their families now too

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Recoome posted:

Okay cool I’ll let the asylum seekers know that they’ll be reunited with their families now too

Maybe both the asylum seeker stuff and this case are bad

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That痴 not how arguing on the internet works Tommu you jerk.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tommunist posted:

Maybe both the asylum seeker stuff and this case are bad

Makes you think

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Knobb Manwich posted:

E: also absolutely want to shove Scotty in a blender. "It's not about politicians. It's not about elections. The only thing that matters today is that Sarah can be with her 11-year-old sister and her mother while they mourn the passing of their father and husband at Mt Gravatt today."

No you absolute useless fuckwit, gently caress off back to Hawaii and don't come back.

Right? "It's not about politics" say the LNP, as they post on their official feeds every few hours that Queensland ALP should step down because 'this is bad leadership'.

My understanding is people are upset the premier has let some high profile people into the state while not making an exception for this woman. Then the health commissioner/chief health officer (whatever the title is) said something like 'these individuals were allowed in because they make money for the state', which ironically, is perfectly in line with Scomos goal to get the Australian economy going again as fast as possible.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 11, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

There's more COVID in Queensland than in the ACT. She would literally be more at risk from the other funeralgoers than they would be from her.

It's no risk to travel from a lower risk area to a still-low-but-higher risk area?

Edit:

TheMostFrench posted:

Right? "It's not about politics" say the LNP, as they post on their official feeds every few hours that Queensland ALP should step down because 'this is bad leadership'.

My understanding is people are upset the premier has let some high profile people into the state while not making an exception for this woman. Then the health commissioner said something like 'these individuals were allowed in because they make money for the state', which ironically, is perfectly in line with Scomos goal to get the Australian economy going again as fast as possible.

Yeah that's absolutely fair to be angry about.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 11, 2020

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
a Herald Sun report in Liberal internal polling by MediaReach of five marginal Victorian state seats, showing devastating swings against Labor. The Liberals are credited with leads of 70.6-29.4 in Bayswater (50.4-49.6 to Labor at the 2018 election), 68.0-32.0 in Hawthorn (50.4-49.6 to Labor), 54.5-45.5 in Monbulk (58.6-41.4), 54.9-45.1 in Mount Waverley (51.8-48.2) and 57.9-42.1 in South Barwon (54.6-45.4). Daniel Andrews is nonetheless said to have preferred premier leads over Michael O達rien of 46-37 in South Barwon, 43-37 in Mount Waverley and 39-29 in Monbulk, with O達rien leading 46-33 in Hawthorn and 37-33 in Bayswater. The polling was conducted on Tuesday from samples of between 523 and 694.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

and from twitter, apparently MediaReach did the polling for NT election and called it a safe victory for the Libs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

a Herald Sun report in Liberal internal polling by MediaReach of five marginal Victorian state seats, showing devastating swings against Labor. The Liberals are credited with leads of 70.6-29.4 in Bayswater (50.4-49.6 to Labor at the 2018 election), 68.0-32.0 in Hawthorn (50.4-49.6 to Labor), 54.5-45.5 in Monbulk (58.6-41.4), 54.9-45.1 in Mount Waverley (51.8-48.2) and 57.9-42.1 in South Barwon (54.6-45.4). Daniel Andrews is nonetheless said to have preferred premier leads over Michael O達rien of 46-37 in South Barwon, 43-37 in Mount Waverley and 39-29 in Monbulk, with O達rien leading 46-33 in Hawthorn and 37-33 in Bayswater. The polling was conducted on Tuesday from samples of between 523 and 694.

Ah yes the famous marginal seat of Hawthorn.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hildebrand is gone

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Hildebrand is gone

Good. gently caress Joe Hildebrand.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

someone post the gif

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hambeet posted:

someone post the gif

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Hildebrand is gone

i'm glad of it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lmao

not that one but noice

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Hildebrand is gone

What?! How!?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8716385/Joe-Hildebrand-QUITS-Studio-10-Tearful-host-breaks-air.html

Lol

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Recoome posted:

Okay cool I値l let the asylum seekers know that they値l be reunited with their families now too

Sorry mate but these types of snarktastic responses help exactly two people: Jack and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I made this six years ago. I pray this is the last time I will ever be exposed to his idiocy such that I feel the need to use it.

So, I say, optimistically, for the final time