Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I paid minimal attention to the Lions this offseason, and might not even watch them this fall, but I'm like 90% sure Martha Ford will give Patricia another free roll due to pandemic chaos unless he goes 0-fer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

LabyaMynora posted:

But what if he’s literally the worst rocket scientist? Like, so bad at rocket sciencing that he could only get a job as a football coach?

:thunk:

Wouldn't surprise me lol. Then again lots of people end up with careers pretty far removed from any degree(s) they might have.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to see the graph of % of people who bought into "the Lions are a dark horse team this year" as a function of the number of Lions games they actually watched. It's a right triangle at best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Honestly unless Quinn is also on his way out I'm not getting my hopes up. I just don't trust him to not go back to the Belichek tree for Patricia's hypothetical replacement.

VV I thought that was the case, but the reassurance is nice.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 27, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dan Quinn isn't on fire he's turned blue

Are you suggesting that Dan Quinn is undergoing black-body radiation?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ches Neckbeard posted:

More that he choked to death but let's pretend I'm this smart

I was going to correct you and say that he's turning white due to heating, but I had to double-check and it turns out blue wavelengths can be emitted by black-body radiators, so let's both pretend we're this smart.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey at least they didn't blow a fourth-quarter lead this time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Lions are going to hire BoB after firing Patricia.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Parallelwoody posted:

You monster.

Dump your coach and GM, hire one person to fill both roles. Downsizing!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

This feels like the most activity we've had before week 6 of a season in a long time

Detroit beating Arizona last week definitely saved Patricia's job for the time being, we could have had three coaches fired before week 6. Alas!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/1322997188897759232

This is what I get for being too generous with my rankings

Real Lions fans knew this was going to happen as soon as everyone two-bit sports reporter (and you :v:) said "Hmmm the Lions are .500, maybe there's something there?" There's never something there.

This will probably be the first Thanksgiving in a while that we don't have the Lions on at home, or at least the first time I don't watch it. What's the point?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't know the longer I'm down here the easier it is to just quit paying attention to the Lions and become more interested in the Titans. At least they can win a playoff game.

Yeah I've been living in Philly since 2015 and if (when?) my wife and I have kids I'm going to at least give them the option of becoming Eagles fans. Perpetuating cycles of abuse is never healthy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cavauro posted:

i just want everyone to know and then forget that the saints went 33 years without winning a playoff game while the bengals will have 30 after this season

Detroit coming up on 29 this year.

I'll always remember that 1957 was the last time they won a title because it was also the year in which my mom was born lol. Literally a month before the title game (which until now I didn't realize was still in the same calendar year as the regular season back then).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like how you just didn't write anything for Gase lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Didn't watch the Lions today, but I saw new posts in here immediately after the 1 PM games finished up and thought "I'll bet they're talking about Matt Patricia". Man I'm good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It would be dumb as hell for both the Jets and Fitzgerald, based on my cursory knowledge of both parties involved.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1332772058724491266

Sayonara you fuckers, I can say without a doubt that you left this team worse than you found it, a low loving bar even for this trash-rear end franchise.

I don't even know who I'd want to be the next coach or GM, just gut this franchise from the ownership down and start over expansion team-style.

E: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1332774621272268809
:shrug:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 28, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

Is Lions ownership entirely absentee? Do they just whiff bad on a GM hire, let it sit until fan revolt, then clean house to make another bad decision?

I think there is a genuine desire among the Ford family to field a winning team, at least in recent years. Not sure what I'm basing that one other than their name being tied to the city going back a century (and on the drat stadium!). The problem is that they have no loving idea what they're doing and it shows.

If Neodoomium still posted here he'd tell you how the Ford family bought the Lions in the 60s and gave it to William Clay Ford (grandson of Henry, owner until his passing a few years ago) to keep him distracted so that he wouldn't gently caress up the motor company. I still remember his son Bill Jr going on local news a month into the 2008 season and saying "Matt Millen sucks and my dad sucks for not firing him four years ago". They've been the laughingstock of the league the entire team the Ford family has owned them, and that probably wears on you after a while. Then again bad sports teams still make money :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

If they immediately go back to the Belichek tree with McDaniels after three awful years of Belichek flunkies I will burn every piece of Lions paraphernalia that I own :toxx:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hizawk posted:

Saleh or Harbaugh and the Lions are going to the Superbowl

Harbaugh feels like a logical, perhaps even reasonable, choice on paper. But he's going to be despised by a large chunk of the fanbase from the get-go and that feels like a huge misstep for a team that desperately needs to rebuild some goodwill towards itself. How quickly are people going to call for his head after 1.5 seasons with a crap roster?

adaz posted:

Was never sure why anyone wanted McDaniels after Denver, double unsure after he left the colts at the alter and triply unsure why you'd want him after watching the patriots this season.

I will admit to thinking that McDaniels deserved a second shot somewhere right after leaving Denver, albeit solely as HC rather than HC + GM. But I feel like Patricia had a lot of that same McDaniels energy in dealing with the team so no thank you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Asproigerosis posted:

harbaugh would be wild considering he's been poo poo at michigan.

I wouldn't say poo poo, more like "a huge letdown".

I said it on the previous page but Harbaugh feels like a pick that all of the ESPN talking heads would say is solid and would talk about what a great opportunity it is for Detroit, but it would be hated by a large part of the fanbase pretty much from day 1. Have to imagine that a majority of Lions fans are also Michigan or Michigan State fans (because who the gently caress grew up outside of Michigan and likes the Lions?) and they all hate him for various reasons. It would be a disaster for a team with currently zero goodwill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How has Harbaugh been a disappointment at Michigan? I don’t follow college much but in SF he was a winning coach and loved by his players. Seems like a Michigan fans would like him?

They're merely good when people were expecting and promised greatness based on the hype around getting him in the first place. Namely, zero wins against Ohio State, only one apiece vs Michigan State and Notre Dame, and no(?) bowl wins. This from one of the highest-paid coaches in college football.

Like I said, he would be a fine hire for Detroit on paper but he would be loathed by a large part of the fanbase from the get-go, and that's probably an own-goal worth avoiding.

E: we're veering away from NFL chat, but I think Harbaugh had the same or very close to the same record after three years with Michigan as Brady Hoke did lmao

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 29, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Benne posted:

I think most of the Harbaugh-to-Lions talk is just troll Michigan fans begging him to go away

He also probably still has a good enough reputation that he's going to be in the conversation for every NFL opening this offseason if he wants to be, assuming that Michigan lets him go. I think just about any other HC gig would be better than Detroit and if he gets fired from Michigan I don't think he'll want to be within a hundred miles of Ann Arbor.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Neodoomium posted:

This is all correct

I don't watch the NFL anymore because the product isn't interesting to me

Oh what's up bud

I'm not watching any football this year but I still like to complain about it :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

gently caress that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Meanwhile the Lions are interviewing another apple off the poisonous Patriots tree, after the last two gave them diarrhea. So it goes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As decent as Caldwell was he still lost to the loving Bengals when the playoffs were on the line, and also made the mortal sin of hiring Joe Lombardi as his OC. The firing really wasn't the mistake, the hiring of Patricia (And Quinn as GM two years earlier) was.

I still can't believe that game. Everybody on both sides either wanted Detroit to win or Cincy to lose, yet they blew what should have been the easiest lay-up in the world.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Urban Meyer feels like he's in that Nick Saban tier of "college coach whose strengths and style don't translate well to the NFL". As much as I'd like to see him flop I think he's smart enough to stay away from the pros.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Who actively dislikes the Jags

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Urbz to Jacksonville still feels like a trap for both sides. As a Michigan fan I hope they pick up Ryan Day instead so we can maybe possibly catch Ohio State on an off year for once lmao :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I would not take a job with the Lions, especially if anyone else offered me a job, but men with more ambition than sense are what drives history so :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

lol drat I forgot how few draft picks the Texans have for 2021.

really queer Christmas posted:

This, qb prospect, no matter how lauded, is such a crapshoot. Lawrence could be the next Ryan leaf and that'd be on the new GM despite the fact that everyone knows you're gonna take Lawrence and basically have to.

Chargers then Houston would be my 1 and 2 since they have the hardest positions locked up. Then jets, jags, and falcons last. I only put jets above jags because I'm gonna bank most of the problems being on gase and not the talent, so if you can get a good coach there they should be OK. Jags have just... nothing there, while the falcons need to be completely burned to the ground for a season before the rebuild can even start in earnest.

I'm guessing that you left the Lions off your rankings on accident but I think I would take any other opening over them right now so whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

The Lions are probably the worst job simply due to the talent glut and Stafford's age. Falcons at least I think a coach could come in and unfuck their situation and have them competitive near immediately theoretically. I mean, probably not, but at least it's possible there.

Yeah the Lions are looking at a complete rebuild if Stafford is gone and a near-complete rebuild if he sticks around (with a QB crisis on the horizon). Hard to think that this team controlled their own playoff destiny just three seasons ago. What a loving terrible job by the former management.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If Jason Garrett's 8-8 aura can overpower this lovely Lions roster I want him on a plane to Detroit tomorrow. At .500 he'd be the second-winningest Lions coach of the last 20 years, maybe even longer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

The texans ownership group is bad.

like, one of the worst in football bad.

This would be a hell of a debate.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nodoze posted:

The only close ones are uhh the Jets and Chargers?

Lions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

really queer Christmas posted:

Does pederson get another HC job? He didn't seem terrible to me, or at least I always felt like there was much worse out there

A Super Bowl win in recent memory gives him a better resume than just about anybody on the market right now. If he doesn't have a job next year I think it will primarily be because he wants to take a break.

Also isn't he part of the Andy Reid tree or am I thinking of someone else?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

He's completely lost control of the team since then and destroyed his franchise QB with a huge contract. His offense has also regressed every year since Reich left. He's not a good coach.

Bad coaches get hired all the time. You and I should both know that!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm here for Urbz crashing and burning. Something about that guy has rubbed me the wrong way ever since he was at Florida. Nothing personal Jags fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't remember anything about his interim(?) gig in Miami other than his players loving him, which I guess would be refreshing after Patricia drove multiple players away by being a dumb rear end in a top hat.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 15, 2021