Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're just a few hours away from what could be the weirdest NFL season of the 21st Century. They talked a big game about controlling the virus, and training camp test results have been mostly encouraging. But the real challenge is coming up as teams start traveling and some are even allowing fans into the building. There's definitely no way this can go wrong, no sir.

But despite all the uncertainty, we can at least count on some teams making GBS threads the bed and firing their coaches. To be honest, I wasn't sure how much mileage I'd get out of a hot seat thread this year, since it seemed pretty gauche to fire people in the middle of a pandemic. But the NBA has canned multiple people in the bubble and college football already fired a guy, so it looks like it'll be business as usual, for better or worse.

So welcome back to my annual hot seat thread! As always, I rank every coach in the league on a scale of Cool (nothing to worry about, at least for now), Mild (things can go sour quickly if the losses pile up), Moderate (they're in big trouble if they don't turn things around), and SPICY HOT (update those resumes!).

WEEK 17 FINALE

I was planning on getting this out earlier, but whoops, New Year’s day and a hangover happened, so better late than never. There are five jobs we know for sure are opening up, and potentially up to seven, though that’s more doubtful based on recent reports. Now that the firing is mostly done, we’re heading into the real interesting part of the coaching carousel. Once again, thanks to everyone for following this thread with me, and happy hiring season.

BACK IN 2021

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Mike Tomlin, PIttsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Jon Gruden, Las Vegas Raiders
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Ron Rivera, Washington
Joe Judge, New York Giants
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

FIRED!

Bill O’Brien, Houston Texans (interim coach: Romeo Crennel)
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons (interim coach: Raheem Morris)
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions (interim coach: Darrell Bevell)
Adam Gase, New York Jets
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles

New Head Coaching Jobs

Atlanta Falcons: Arthur Smith (Titans OC)
Detroit Lions: Dan Campbell (Saints TEs coach)
Houston Texans: Dave Culley (Ravens WRs coach)
Jacksonville Jaguars: Urban Meyer
Los Angeles Chargers: Brandon Staley (Rams DC)
New York Jets: Robert Saleh (49ers DC)
Philadelphia Eagles: Nick Sirianni (Colts OC)

New GMs

Houston Texans: Nick Caserio
Denver Broncos: George Paton
Detroit Lions: Brad Holmes
Carolina Panthers: Scott Fitterer
Atlanta Falcons: Terry Fontenot
Washington: Marty Hurney
Jacksonville Jaguars: Trent Baalke

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BOB is never moving on this list just lmao

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If there's one thing Jason Garrett is good at it's kissing the owner's rear end, I fully expect him to at least get interviews again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Gase even make it to October at this rate

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just as a reminder, I'll be updating this list every 2 or 3 weeks, depending on my schedule and more information as the season goes on. For instance, the Broncos have enough talent to potentially overcome Fangio's brainfarts, but that's very much a "wait and see" situation.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/PFN365/status/1306740630769590274

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well it's definitely time to talk about Pederson now

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1307738791436857349

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Patricia survive the bye week at this rate

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, SOMEONE from the Falcons is going to be fired.

Start with the special teams coach

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/1307779948913061888

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Get this nerd poo poo out of my thread, we're here to talk about Real Football Men who do Manly Things like run up the middle on 3rd and 9 and not knowing the onside kick rules

(I'll have an update later tonight)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 3 UPDATE

Two games is admittedly a small sample size, but that’s already 1/8th of the NFL season in the books, so let’s take a quick look at where teams stand heading into the midseason grind.

COOL
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Bill O’Brien, Houston Texans

It’s a good thing I didn’t write this earlier in the week because I was ready to bury Lynn for waffling on the QB starter, but we’ve since learned that the team doctor accidentally recreated that scene from Pulp Fiction, so it’s understandable that he doesn’t want to permanently demote Tyrod under bizarre circumstances. I’m still not high on Fangio, but the Broncos’ injury apocalypse likely bought him another year. The Vikings have been putrid so far and Zimmer will be trending in the wrong direction if he can’t get that young defense coached up.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES
Ron Rivera, Washington

Fat Mike is drat lucky that he’s not the biggest story of the week -- the Cowboys are 0-2 if they play any other team that’s interested in holding a big lead. Everyone else here is more or less playing to expectations -- we already knew the Panthers and Washington were writing off 2020, the Browns showed signs of life in Week 2, and the Giants have a Saquon-sized mulligan.

MILD

Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles -- Now five years in, I think it’s fair to wonder if Pederson’s tenure peaked too early. The Eagles have seen diminishing returns since that magical Super Bowl run, and now they look almost directionless with an 0-2 start and Carson Wentz playing the worst football of his career. At some point the injury excuses only go so far, and when you take an honest look at this roster -- which is quietly aging and loaded with bloated contracts -- it’s hard to see how the Eagles salvage a contention window that may have been shorter than they want to admit. They play the Bengals this week, and boy could they use a convincing win. If there’s any other result, the murmurs will turn into outright revolting, and I can’t say it will be undeserved.

Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears -- The 2-0 start is an obvious mirage to anyone with eyes and ears. I still need more evidence that Nagy has truly righted the ship before I’m ready to cool off his seat.

MODERATE

Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- The Jags were surprisingly feisty the first two weeks, upsetting the Colts and nearly pulling off a comeback over the Titans. It’s easy to get caught up in Gardner Minshew’s backyard style and think this team might be more interesting than expected. But as always with the Jags, they threw cold water on their hype with a dreadful Thursday performance against a Dolphins team that’s not much better on paper. This ranking is mostly a hedge based on the Khan family’s notorious loyalty and hands-off approach, but Marrone can’t have many more games like this if he’s trying to sell himself as a motivator.

SPICY HOT

Adam Gase, New York Jets -- Does Adam Gase even like football? That’s a serious, legitimate question I’ve had for years with this guy. The dull, joyless teams he’s coached, the gameplans that are so cowardly they barely even qualify as “risk averse,” and the weird habit of feuding with his star players before shipping them out -- this all seems to answer my question. Not since the Art Shell Raiders “reunion” have I seen a coach and locker room so clearly checked out at the same time. Rich Kotite famously never coached again after his disastrous Jets tenure, and Gase could easily repeat history. For the sake of Jets fans, let’s hope he doesn’t completely ruin Sam Darnold in the process.

Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions -- Let’s ignore the weird rocket science derail that took over this thread for a page and get to the important stuff -- Patricia is sitting on an 11-game losing streak going back to last year, and he’s had a healthy Matthew Stafford this year so you can throw out that excuse. The Lions were kind of a trendy darkhorse this year, and I’m baffled as to why since nothing about the coaching has changed. They blew a 23-6 lead to the Bears. They took a 14-3 lead on the Packers and then got outscored 39-7 the rest of the way. Patricia got the job on his defensive credentials and he still has one of the worst defenses in the league. For the love of God please rip off this Band-Aid already.

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- Speaking of ripping off Band-Aids, what do you even say about last week’s game? What is there left to say about the entire Quinn tenure, which is defined by 28-3 and very obvious that they never mentally recovered from that? The Falcons are barely even a football team these days. They only exist for Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley to fill up your fantasy stats. The rest of the energy is sucked up by Quinn firing everyone but himself while he keeps coaching a bad defense and not teaching the onside kick rules. Very few teams in the league need a reset button harder than the Falcons do.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You know your franchise is in a sad state when "give the reins to Greggggg Williams" sounds like a good plan

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Peyton was basically his own OC and Tom Moore was just smart enough to know who buttered his bread

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Vikings' problem is that they went all-in on a contention window that didn't really pan out, got stuck with a bunch of aging talent on bloated contracts, and had to spend an offseason playing cap gymnastics instead of trying to make the team better. Now they're in this weird purgatory where they're not good enough to contend, but not bad enough to get a meaningful draft pick, and they're stuck trying to do a "mini rebuild" while paying out $20-30 million to like the 17th best QB in the league.

Maybe it's not enough to get coaches fired, but it's a whole lot of missed opportunities.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1309988974342086656

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hey remember when I said this about the Eagles?

quote:

They play the Bengals this week, and boy could they use a convincing win. If there’s any other result, the murmurs will turn into outright revolting, and I can’t say it will be undeserved.

Yeah, about that ...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah that Titans defense was legit and it's what got Jim Schwartz the Lions HC job a year later

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hope everyone's enjoying the final hours of Adam Gase's head coaching career

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1311882130809671681

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Jets had the perfect opportunity tonight to news-dump firing their coach and chose not to take it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I guess there's something to be said for punting on the season with a poo poo coach if you're actually committed to firing him after the season. They're set for a top 5 pick with Gase and you can pitch to whoever your favored candidate is that they get to mold Trevor/Fields/whoever else emerges.

That requires being committed to actually firing the gently caress though.

The problem with this mindset is that the players are human too. You think they want to be stuck with 12 more games of a lovely rear end in a top hat coach they can't stand? What does that tell the locker room, other than that everyone is held accountable except for the coaches? It's bullshit and it just makes a team tune out even more. And I promise you that nobody in the building gives a gently caress about draft position when they're all about to be out of jobs, the players included.

People make way too much of a fuss about midseason firings and "welp who else are you gonna hire???" when it barely even matters at that point. Gase has built a toxic atmosphere that needs to be cleaned out as soon as possible. And even with a generic nobody as interim coach, maybe the players will be happier with that cancer gone. Maybe they'll have a spring in their step, and be motivated to put on good tape for the next coaching staff that comes in. And who knows, maybe they rattle off a few wins and have something to build on for next season. There are good reasons to do a midseason change that have nothing to do with the current season or win/loss record.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Black coaches get so few opportunities, and in many cases just one shot at HC, that guys like Saleh and Bieniemy would be smart to stay far the gently caress away from the Jets

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1311859238831099904

This was across a span of at least three GMs. The Jets' problems go far deeper than having a crappy coach.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Patricia and blowing double-digit leads, name a more iconic duo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith/status/1312853557742370816

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think anyone expected the Caldwell Lions to be an actual Super Bowl contender (other than maybe the owners), but the lowkey best part of his tenure was that he brought stability and a happy locker room after literal decades of turmoil. Even the Jim Schwartz years were stuck with his hardass tactics as they tried to rebuild from 0-16, and he never got over the hump. Caldwell inherited a solid talent base, built a great locker room culture, went to the playoffs and barely missed it the next year ... which got him fired as his GM chased the next Great White Belichick Wannabe Savior.

I mean, what do you even do at that point?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
loving incredible

https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1313223050410766341

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1313250095111041024

Philbin, Allen, and Linehan never got HC jobs again. Kiffin hosed off back to college. Shanahan won two Super Bowl rings and built a borderline HOF resume.

I guess 1 out of 5 isn't bad?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RealMattlanta/status/1313329521236619264

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nodoze posted:

They have been alluding to some kind of blow up in the locker room that turned everyone against him

Supposedly they wanted nothing to do with Earl Thomas and BoB brought him in for a workout anyway, which may have been the final straw in losing the locker room.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I got a new update coming soon and don't know where to rank Nagy lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 5 UPDATE

Not much change in the rankings this week, other than the obvious one we’ll get to in a minute.

COOL
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears

I had Nagy in Mild before Thursday’s game, and they’re still in a really weird spot right now -- it’s not often you see a 4-1 team in a QB crisis, after all. They’re clearly due for regression sooner than later, but one area that’s not a fluke is the Bears’ defense, which shut down Tom Brady and has been saving Nagy’s bacon all year. If they’re still in the playoff picture come December, Nagy can thank that defense, because Lord knows his offense won’t get it done.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES
Ron Rivera, Washington

I’ve always been very cautious in predicting one-and-done coaches -- usually it takes a total team collapse that exposes the coach in over his head, like we saw with Jim Tomsula and Freddie Kitchens in recent years. But keep an eye on the Giants, because if they bottom out and decide to move on from GM Dave Gettleman, his hand-picked coach (already an unpopular hire) shouldn’t feel safe at all.

MILD

Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- The Jags were pretty feisty in the first two weeks and looked like they might surprise people. Weeks 3 and 4, however, showed us the team we mostly expected, competing for a top-5 draft pick. Whatever your feelings on Gardner Minshew, he clearly isn’t good enough to elevate a roster short on talent, and Marrone has never proven he can rise to the occasion. Another losing streak might finally force the Khans to take notice.

Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles -- Somewhat ironically, the dismal state of the NFC East might actually heat up Pederson’s seat. They currently sit in first place at 1-2-1, just barely beating the 49ers’ B-team on Sunday night. Getting in the win column is nice, but they showed the exact same problems that plagued them in Weeks 1-3. Pederson could be in real trouble if he can’t win what might be a historically bad division.

SPICY HOT

Adam Gase, New York Jets

Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons

I’ll be honest, there’s nothing new to say about these three chumps. They all lost yet again, everybody knows they’ll be fired soon, their locker rooms are as checked out as I am. Barring an unexpected turnaround, I’ll leave blank entries for Gase/Patricia/Quinn until Black Monday, if not sooner.

YOU’RE FIRED

Bill O’Brien, Houston Texans (interim coach: Romeo Crennel) -- I’ll have to check my old threads to confirm, but this might be the first time a coach went from Cool to Fired in just one update. By this point a ton of ink has already been spilled on BoB’s failures, so I won’t dwell on that stuff and instead talk about the big picture. In the long term, this is a weird, misshapen, expensive roster that’s not good enough to win now but doesn’t have any draft picks or cap space to leverage into a quick turnaround; whomever takes charge will be racing the clock to untangle BoB’s mess while Deshaun Watson is still in his prime. In the short term, however ... don’t be surprised if they start stringing wins together. Romeo Crennel is very well-liked and respected with years of HC experience -- he’ll get players fighting for him in a way that BoB never could -- and Watson is simply too talented to sit at the bottom of the standings all year. Whatever happens next, this is the most interesting the Texans have been in a long time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dan Quinn's gotta be next right

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1315358462415695873

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/JeffSchultzATL/status/1315393961901531136

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Good night sweet princes

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1315469861812924416

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're due for a new thread title but I can't think of any good Quinn puns right now :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Magicpants posted:

gone with the quinn

Winner

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Chargers are a dropped lateral and doinked FG away from 3-2 in what everyone expected to be a rebuilding year. Lynn is probably fine.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 13, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Weird that people keep coming up with increasingly vague reasons to get rid of one of the literally five (5) Black head coaches in the league

(the number was 3 before Crennel and Morris got impromptu promotions this week)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When do we start talking about Frank Reich