Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Matt Patricia has convinced me that rocket science must be really easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Jed York 9ers were thought to be poison but they still landed Shanahan. The Browns were in similar territory but hired then hot commodity Hue Jackson. Washington was the dud last year and they still got Rivera.

The Jets will still get access to top tier coaches.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It was the right move because, you know, sunk cost fallacy.

But man, so weird to implicitly trust a man enough to allow him to trade multiple firsts for Tunsil and give up Hopkins for a second round, but not to right the ship after a four game stretch against a ridiculous schedule.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

I don't even care about Brady's performance but him screaming at his fellow teammates the other day really pissed me off. poo poo leadership right there. Leadership baby style. Put Brady on the hot seat imo

Yeah it's always been obnoxious but it looks particularly lovely now that he's on a new team and is playing like a league median starter.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shouldn't really weigh in on how well a team is coached until you see them in practice.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you heard the way Gannon was teeing off at Lynn during the broadcast, you knew Lynn would be toast without a win. A winnable game fir the Chargers completely mired by coaching chaos.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

This has just about gotta be on Herbert though right? Like, either he checked to that and no one got the message or he didn't get the play call right if it wasn't a check?

I mean Anthony Lynn probably needs to go at this point, this just doesn't seem like it's his fault specifically.

I think you're correct but still a hilarious detail among an absurd sequence.

The biggest blunder came about two plays earlier, when down 10 with like 45 seconds left and no time outs and like three yards short of the end zone the Chargers called a run play. Didn't spike the football or anything.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Here's why Lynn will be fired.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1333426087163006979?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It makes sense, just like Pat Shurmur deserves a lot of credit for taking a practice squad WR and turning him into a starting QB.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Simplex posted:

Yeah honestly the playcall is fine. The problem is the defensive back has atrocious situational awareness, and that's what seems like the fireable offense.

So you're saying the problem is that they didn't execute?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Feel like Vrabel has done sone pretty cagey/clever things as a coach. I wanted him to be a Schiano-grade meathead dumbass but he seems pretty sharp.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lynn's background is in the run game. Maybe Chargers fans know better, but I have a hard time believing he was a key ingredient in Herbert's success.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The more vacancies being filled with not-Brian Daboll's the better.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Wait THIS is the charismatic dynamo that was able to ascend to the highest ranks of the NFL through sheer force of personality?

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1347367860029566977?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sean McDermott - got the loving Bills to the playoffs. Twice.

Thrice. Three times in his four years.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

He was aggressively average to below average before Josh Allen, and it's generally agreed that Allen's progress is a best case maybe freak scenario.

This is the first year he's really had a lot of talent as an OC, though. You can only do so much when you have Derek Anderson/Matt Moore/Matt Cassel throwing to Mohamed Massaquoi/Brian Hartline/Dexter McCluster.

Ehud posted:

according to our resident bills fans, daboll is a poo poo play caller even though his offense is first/second in points and yards :shrug:

I'll contest those Bills fans. Last year he drove people crazy because he kept insisting on calling Frank Gore runs despite Singletary clearly outperforming him, and this year fans are in denial about how big of a piece of the Bills' offensive puzzle he is based off some bad calls from really just Saturday's game.

I don't know if he'll end up being a good head coach, but he architected quite the offense this year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tbf if a black coach gave an introductory presser like that we'd be having a pretty different conversation today.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Would we? No ones saying he's a coaching genius it's just amusing that he's a loveable doofus. And he isn't Matt Patricia so really that's all you can ask. I think everyone is aware he's probably gonna not work out

The closest comp I can think of is he's a buff Jim Tomsula lol

I meant less about how TFF would react and more about how it would play out in mainstream discourse.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

My guess with McCown is that the Texans are giving him the interview solely as a résumé builder. It's still insane, but I doubt there's any serious chance McCown will land the job.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Really just an outstanding gif all around. It was thoroughly enjoyable when I thought it was just a terror face run; did not expect the Rosencopter ending.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

Seems extremely unlikely. He's still interviewing while Miami hired two offensive staff today.

Miami is either promoting an internal candidate or have a deal in place with somebody that hasn't been announced yet. I've seen speculation on everyone from Ken Dorsey to Tom Herman (lol), but that's just speculation based on the offensive staff we hired. There haven't been interviews announced with any of them AFAIK.

Ken Dorsey was the rumored heir apparent to the Bills' OC job if Daboll left. Buffalo beat guys at least all felt like he'd be a good OC.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Strong Democratic primary candidate second stage debate vibes here.

https://twitter.com/AdamLefkoe/status/1355234085870956553

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Being a coach means working 100 hour weeks for way less pay than you did as a player.

Not if you are one Ryan, Rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Obviously there are NFL teams ran by racist front offices and racist owners, but I think the biggest "ism" preventing the hiring of black coaches seems like it isn't racism but rather cronyism and nepotism. But maybe I'm just being naive.

I feel like you can't really excise the role racism plays in the particular makeup of the cronyism, though.