Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

fsif posted:

Matt Patricia has convinced me that rocket science must be really easy.

It's crazy that he has a degree in essentially problem solving and has no ability to solve problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Mr. Nice! posted:

rocketry isn't necessarily difficult - it just requires understanding of a certain type of calculus and time series equations. modern rocket science is just a form of engineering. nothing more special about it than any other calculus based profession.

interesting note, some of the calculus for rocket trajectory is used in the pricing of options on the securities market. The Black Scholes Merton formula uses Itô's Lemma which is a calculation to determine the derivative of a time-dependent function of a random process as a part of the model. It was developed by Kiyoshi Itô back when rocketry was a relatively new field of study in the 1930s.

Rocket science isn't difficult. *Proceeds to say a bunch of stuff I don't understand. *

My point was engineering, at it's heart, is about problem solving. So how the hell does Patricia have a degree.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am pretty sure you are being facetious but the problems and solution sets are much more clearly defined and structured in engineering. if anything his background probably makes him a worse coach.

I'm being very much tongue in cheek

LabyaMynora posted:

Engineering is about applying math. Engineers are stereotyped as being dumber than scientists. They apply the things that scientists discover. Stereotypically, not literally.

My mother had a degree in Chemistry but spent her career as a medical device engineer. She said people who they hired from engineering schools had no critical thinking skills. An anecdote of hers was that, in lead up to the 2016 election, she overheard two young, white, male engineers discussing slavery. They came to the conclusion that slavery couldn’t have been that bad, because it was in the slave owners’ interests to treat their slaves well so they’d be more efficient workers. Abusing slaves would make them less efficient.

My mom retired in 2018.

Holy poo poo. Now that I think about it, I'm totally crossing scientists and engineers in my head when it comes to critical thinking. It should be obvious, as it's called the scientific method for a reason.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

sean10mm posted:

Also I for one have no concept of how good Stafford is because Lions.

Are his stats inflated because infinity garage time because Lions?

Is he massively held back by *waves in general direction of everything Lions not Calvin Johnson's career*?

Matt Stafford has managed to put up really solid numbers despite never having good people at the following positions

Running game
Defense
Offensive line
Head coach

I firmly believe there is a circle of hell for professional athletes where they have to play for the Lions FOREVER!!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Darth Brooks posted:

The defense being putrid makes more sense that what's going on with the offense. The defense has the most hope of being better next season assuming everyone comes back and the rookies turn out decent after having a year under their belt. It's the listlessness on offense that confuses me. The O-line is getting no push at all. I wish there was a way to get Mike Tice out of retirement.

Stefanski was a big deal. The only times that offense has really looked competent during the Zimmer regime was under him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Stefanski's rise coincided with Kubiak taking over as "run game coordinator" if memory serves. There's been debate over who really deserved credit

Two games into the Vikings offense, I'm willing to give him the credit

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ghosthorse posted:

Zimmer or at least the defensive coordinators are going to have their seats warm up a hell of a lot if the vikes go 0-4 but absolutely it's the offense's fault not theirs. Kubiak and especially Dennison as the oline coach are probably the first to get fired if this season keeps trending south.

I still think hiring Dom loving Capers was the worst move they've made and he needs to be fired, preferably out of a cannon.

Nah, he's safe. They just extended him and now they are in a mini rebuild. My worry is they somehow lose out and get Lawrence.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

We're arguing about who loves you more.

YOU LOVE HIM MORE! NO YOU LOVE HIM MORE!!!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

For McCarthy to be fired, two things would need to happen.

1) Jerry Jones would have to pay McCarthy $30 million for one year of service.

2) Jerry Jones would have to admit he was wrong

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Declan MacManus posted:

stefanski has done okay and the browns are 5-3

unless the wheels fall off completely (and they might if baker's out long term) i doubt they fire him after one season where he goes .500 or better, unless you mean long term

If the Browns actually fired Stefanski, I can't imagine any serious candidates ever going back there. Still wouldn't put it past the Browns

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

tinstaach posted:

Stafford's had a pretty pedestrian 2020 so far, which could be due to a number of things: COVID, breaking his back last year, missing his best receiver for most of this year, being coached by a dead man walking/egomaniac, or just being 32 years old.

Eli Manning is going to the Hall of Fame despite being an objectively worse QB.

I posted this in the NFC North thread a while back, but I tried to make a list of the best NFL QBs to never win a playoff game, and assuming Lamar Jackson wins one at some point, it's

1. Stafford
2. Trent Green
3. Carson Wentz (who could still win one)
4. ...Doug Flutie??
5. I stopped at this point cause it was a bunch of no-names

Technically, Trent Green's got a ring.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If you put Matthew Stafford on the Bears or Vikings instead of the Lions he probably would have won multiple playoff games at the very least.

With their defense two years ago, they win a Super Bowl.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bucs were so incompetent, they screwed over Bo Jackson, trying to force him to play for them and ended up making it so he'd never sign with them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I always forget this story. And it always makes me laugh when I see it

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

indigi posted:

he won’t be, don’t worry

Yeah, the idea that nine years and one super bowl later somehow makes him right would be the most laughable argument and now I want him to make it

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Probably losing to the Broncos, as if good teams don't have random, dumb, inexplicable losses.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Parallelwoody posted:

Based on the past results of the Lions on-boarding process we can at least conclude the background check will go by fairly quickly and without issue, no matter who is chosen.

This is the most hilarious ineptitude of the whole thing. The beat writer who broke the story didn't even do an intensive investigation. He just put dudes name in a database and it came up rape. But the billion dollar franchise that is supposed to be doing an extensive background search couldn't be bothered.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SolusLunes posted:

a good thing about firing patricia is that bob quinn is probably gone too, and then the thread title is still correct

e: or it'll be gone with the quinn, again

Gone with the quinn 2, electric boogaloo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It's always a bad sign when your better players are traded away for legitimate grips. I also suspect that Burrow being on board is more the product of being a rookie. Dude's a competitor and if he doesn't see this team improving, he's going to become a lot more vocal.

Of course, good management would recognize that they have a window of three years to win a Super Bowl and not waste a year with a bad coach. I suspect Taylor will have a contract extension announced any day now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Because keeping him makes your lives better?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Eifert Posting posted:

Can you fire an owner? :ohdear:

Depends. How many bullets you got left?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

While we're on the topic of GMs... it's interesting that the buzz around Gettleman needing to go has quieted way down.

Truth be told, the Giants are exceeding expectations. They have a decent defense. They are in line to win the division. Hard to fire a guy after he makes the playoffs, regardless of how ridiculous the circumstances

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't imagine quality candidates are falling over themselves for that Texans GM job. No draft picks until the third round this spring and a messed up front office structure.

One year without draft picks is a small price to pay to have Deshaun Watson. Franchise QB solves a lot of problems.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I would take him on the Bears in a heartbeat. He regularly made the playoffs with &e. He has always done less with more.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

SA2K is posting in this very thread and knows exactly how wrong this take is.

I won't say it, but we all know.

Lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Bears couldn't allow the...*checks notes* the Bears to land Mitchell Trubisky before they did!

The most insane part of this is they did everything covertly to ensure they got their guy and still traded up!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Fantasy football players?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Recruiting well is the single most important factor to sustained success in college and it’s a skill that is completely useless in an NFL coach.

College coaches have basically unchecked power. They don’t have to work with a GM and they don’t have to work with players who often have more power than them.

Establishing a “culture that doesn’t accept losing” isn’t a skill. Most coaches don’t accept losing, they just don’t have a choice because they are bad at their jobs. That’s not to say that poisonous cultures aren’t a thing, but Matt Patricia or Adam Gase weren’t poo poo because they “accepted losing,” they were poo poo because they were poo poo. They don’t like losing anymore than Bill Belichick but the only way they were going to fix that was by firing themselves.

Hiring good assistants is basically the only thing that I think legitimately carries over other than x’s and o’s and a guy like Pat Fitzgerald isn’t going to have a clue who to hire because he’s been at NW for 20 years.

I think you're understating a lot of the traits that make up a good coach at both levels. There is 100% a recruiting aspect for NFL coaches. Free agency is a thing and coaches and GMs work hand in hand on that stuff, just like Athletic Directors do at the collegiate level. And how you run the day to day operations are critical to the success of all football teams.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

gently caress the Bangals for making my formative years a nightmare!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Eifert Posting posted:

As a 90s kid in Cinci, hard same.

Unless you are Egyptian, you won't truly understand how annoying it is

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Eifert Posting posted:

There was an Egyptian American kid in my ele I ended up going to college with too as a coincidence that was a massive Bengals homer. Steve is that you? :downs:

I'm a Bears fan and a college drop out. I'm not sure if those two are related

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

really queer Christmas posted:

Congrats texans fans, say how are they doing these days

*Camera cuts to a man hanging from the ceiling twisting in the wind with a Watt jersey.*

Watson was here

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The new CBA shafts players holding out.

If he decides to sit for a year, what are they really gonna do? Most players don't have leverage, but quarterbacks do. Cutler was able to force a trade.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

By who? Nobody is calling Belichick or Reid. He got to a super bowl with Jared Goff. He’s pretty good.

I'd say he's rated just right.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Man, the Eagles seem dysfunctional as all hell

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Narrator: They didn't score another first down

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

really queer Christmas posted:

How involved was that guy in getting cousins, if the answer is anything but not at all then bad hire imo.

Vikings draft well and I don't think you can really blame the front office for signing Cousins. It was an all-in move while they were in win now mode. Now, whoever extended him....

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

I have no idea if he would end up as a good head coach but this would seem insane given all the interest

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1349420953332305932

From everything I know about him I cannot imagine that he's a bad interview guy. And the Reid coaching tree isn't perfect but if we're still hiring Pats guys that seems like bullshit.

I don't trust that Reid tree. *Hires Belichick discipline. *

I think the real reason he won't be hired is because his past is a PR nightmare. If he whiffs, you open yourself up to a ton of media scrutiny.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nodoze posted:

Bienemy has kind of a checkered past doesn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else

He has a very well documented history of problems. Some of them seem like bullshit, but the poo poo that went on at Colorado when he was there is more than enough justification for him never getting a head coaching job. Frankly, I don't understand why people seem surprised he isnt getting hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

This part isn't quite Patricia bad since he was just the slimy coach involved in recruiting not particularly interested in looking too closely if I remember right but yeah. It's real bad.

Gary Barnett ran a hell of a program. Also join promise keepers.

The difference between Patricia is that his poo poo came out after he was hired, which showed its own problems on the Lions hiring process, but they could at least claim ignorance.

Imagine the first time a player beats up his girlfriend after hiring Bieniemy and the questions you'd field. As a GM who will only get one chance to hire a coach, why would you take that chance?