Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

PokeJoe posted:

Guillermo del Toro directed it

queued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm lookin for something good to watch tonight, any suggestions/recommendations? i'm just not feeling paddington 2, maybe i'll watch it with little jones tomorrow though

rise of skywalker

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PokeJoe posted:

Guillermo del Toro directed it

yeah and it shows

i wish there was more of a magic training sequence with like cool ominous stuff from the old guy

instead of straight to hey i built an electric chair

but overall the karmic justice was amazing if a little hard to stomach

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Oneiros posted:

kung fu hustle was so damned good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finished up Die Neue These 3rd series last night. good stuff

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Chris Knight posted:

finished up Die Neue These 3rd series last night. good stuff
die neue these nuts!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

die neue these nuts!!
not good stuff

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

ive been pushing people to watch forgotten 90s movies like pump up the volume and reality bites

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Casual Encountess posted:

ive been pushing people to watch forgotten 90s movies like pump up the volume and reality bites

are they not forgotten for a reason

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nightmare alley was pretty good. it won't change your life or anything, but it was worth the opportunity cost

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what other things wont change your life. can i get a list?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I loved the sets and production design in nightmare alley

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

fart simpson posted:

lmao no both of those movies are very good, sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J831znGSz78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlyNhT2fbM

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

nightmare alley was pretty good. it won't change your life or anything, but it was worth the opportunity cost

yeah compared to a lot of stuff coming out it's downright watchable

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how does it compare to Lightyear

because that's the only movie I've watched recently

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man whos only seen lightyear: hmmm, getting a lot of lightyear vibes from this

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I get a lot of zurg vibes from your posts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i have only seen peter sellers' 1968 biopic "the party" please relate the plot in terms i can understand tia.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The entire idea of the buzz lightyear movie makes no sense

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the premise is explained with two sentences of text on screen in the first 10 seconds

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

the premise is explained with two sentences of text on screen in the first 10 seconds
good thing I haven't watched it and don't intend to

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah i get its supposed to be the movie that the toy in toy story is merch for, but i DONT get why, if thats the case, it looks like a modern day animated movie rather than a 90s movie

i mean i know why (asses in seats, lowest common denominator, etc) but i dont know WHY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

hbag posted:

yeah i get its supposed to be the movie that the toy in toy story is merch for, but i DONT get why, if thats the case, it looks like a modern day animated movie rather than a 90s movie

i mean i know why (asses in seats, lowest common denominator, etc) but i dont know WHY

no

it’s the movie about the REAL GUY, who had an animated series made about him, that the toy was a product of

it’s like how Jackie Chan had a cartoon made about him and you could buy a Jackie Chan Cartoon action figure. it’s not a Jackie Chan action figure, it’s a Jackie Chan Cartoon action figure.

the movie Lightyear is equivalent to a Jackie Chan documentary

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
its a childrens movie with a veneer of "complexity" because the people that were children when the original came out and want to see it because of nostalgia are like 40

theres not much more there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i haven't seen it, but outside of wiki nerdery is it actually set up in a way where it matters what the broader continuity is supposed to be?

i'll catch it on a plane one of these days i guess.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i haven't seen it, but outside of wiki nerdery is it actually set up in a way where it matters what the broader continuity is supposed to be?

lmfao

i was going to ask if you're serious, but of course there are toy story continuity nerds

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no

indigi posted:

no

it’s the movie about the REAL GUY, who had an animated series made about him, that the toy was a product of

it’s like how Jackie Chan had a cartoon made about him and you could buy a Jackie Chan Cartoon action figure. it’s not a Jackie Chan action figure, it’s a Jackie Chan Cartoon action figure.

the movie Lightyear is equivalent to a Jackie Chan documentary

this is wrong, but was a hilarious bit when the movie was announced

Beeftweeter posted:

its a childrens movie with a veneer of "complexity" because the people that were children when the original came out and want to see it because of nostalgia are like 40

is this, but my son likes it and i'm tired of encanto

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

but of course there are toy story continuity nerds
I think it's even worse than that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fwiw, this is the opening text:

quote:

In 1995 Andy got a toy. That toy is from his favorite movie. This is that movie.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

toy story continuity nerds will immediately notice that the buzz toy is from a tv show not a movie

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

fwiw, this is the opening text:
OK, I have to admit that I do kind of appreciate how it's like "fine you want an explanation? here's a one line explanation. happy?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Fool posted:

no

I wonder how much more sane parents were when home video didn't exist so kids just had to watch what was on tv instead of the same movie literally hundreds of times

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

I wonder how much more sane parents were when home video didn't exist so kids just had to watch what was on tv instead of the same movie literally hundreds of times

lmao my parents usually blamed VHS and i think that was part of my transformation into a codec warrior

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Fool posted:

no

holy poo poo that’s an amazing bit

if I’d have known that was a joke I might have been less disinterested in the movie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Please don't ruin another thread hbag.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Please don't ruin another thread hbag.

god forbid i talk about movies and books in the movies and books thread

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

when I was a kid we had very limited broadcast tv but watched the poo poo out of the same 4 vhs

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Last night; Oh I don't want to stay up late watching a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0krUthYxF4

At least I had it on 1.25x speed. Fairly interesting, goes over a bit of difference between Book Dune and Film DUNC, though there's no huge insights here that you won't have twigged yourself if your're remotely curious about the story. Well produced video anyrate, and the guy doing the voice work doesn't have one of those youtube voices you can't temper past five minutes.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

35 but yes

as a 40-year-old, i guess my childhood nostalgia movie was the live-action beauty and the beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

they are not forgotten by me, mostly because of the soundtracks