Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

in the same boat here, and i still can't believe this got published

this pisses me off. thats not how pregnancy works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Supposedly someone did once ask him what he was thinking when he made that comic, and he said that it was supposed to be prenatal vitamins for dogs, which he assumed existed because he knew they did for humans and that's sort of the level of effort Jim Davis puts into his work.

It's baffling that he didn't consider the other interpretation though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

thats just retconning. jon is drinking a big cup of cum and jim davis wrote it because he's a certified freak 7 days a week

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

thats just retconning. jon is drinking a big cup of cum and jim davis wrote it because he's a certified freak 7 days a week
nah only six days a week (excluding mondays)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it was a silly joke. i was implying that "triangle of sadness" referred to the apollos belt region instead of whatever the title refers to. then sagebrush kinda stepped on it and threw me down a well actually, as he is wont to do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My apologies. I don't read :justpost:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PokeJoe posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the prenatal vitamin excuse doesn't work either cause 1) they're pills 2) why are they just out in a mug 3) garfield is a boy

it's dog cum

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't apologize!!!! :justpost: is right

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

this pisses me off. thats not how pregnancy works

how do you know? because you learned it in health class in high school?!? do your own research, get educated.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:roll:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

smooth post ex-lax

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
e: oops

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 27, 2022

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/msmegalodon/status/1596948733165711360

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its true.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, somehow, despite spending hundreds off millions of dollars to make them, these movies look like absolute poo poo

i've even watched them with my monitor on

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i've not watched an MCU movie after the first iron man.. no inherent interest in superheroes, but i would much rather rewatch Heat or Hard Boiled over any of them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im just gonna go out on a limb here and say most movies centering around someones innate superhuman powers are not great.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
related Under Siege was on tv last night and man tommy lee jones loving kills it in that movie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

people have started mistaking worldbuilding for storytelling and I need them to stop

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

one other thing with those movies that has always bothered me. they're usually high on violence, but it's pretty clear that none (or very few) of the actors know how to fight

the way the action shots are cut don't leave me with a sense of impact from hits

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

dioxazine posted:

one other thing with those movies that has always bothered me. they're usually high on violence, but it's pretty clear that none (or very few) of the actors know how to fight

the way the action shots are cut don't leave me with a sense of impact from hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8om1X4RMtA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in celebration of this current topic i just deleted my mcu archive and also law and order and SVU. cause gently caress all of that. it doesnt deserve space on my NAS.

if i get the flu and am stuck in bed and wanting to watch L&O there is always some 24/7 channel on plutotv or whatever. and i will never ever rewatch any of those comics movies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
under siege is one of seagal’s best movies

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

in celebration of this current topic i just deleted my mcu archive and also law and order and SVU. cause gently caress all of that. it doesnt deserve space on my NAS.

if i get the flu and am stuck in bed and wanting to watch L&O there is always some 24/7 channel on plutotv or whatever. and i will never ever rewatch any of those comics movies

:doink:

probably for the best. slow train on plutotv is really nice to have on in the background when i'm writing templates or something similarly rote

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

under siege is seagal’s best movie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
law and order is just lenny briscoe going "and i'd have the collar already, chief, if fuckin' IAD would stop breathing down my neck and these hippies would stop crying about PoLiCe BruTaLiTy"

svu is, well, l&o but oops! all sex crimes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like l&o, or at least used to. idk if it'd still land for me after a trump presidency etc, but unless the thin blue line crap is way over the top id prob be ok with it. then again why revisit it when i could just watch ds9 or frazier or something instead

svu has always been too dark for me though. i prefer zero rapes in my entertainment. im weird that way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for dinner we had a picnic in the living room while watching the newest muppet movie, 2014's muppets most wanted

it was really fuckin good. i strongly recommend it if you at all like the muppets. and if you don't like the muppets i'm lookin at you with some serious side-eye right now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

related Under Siege was on tv last night and man tommy lee jones loving kills it in that movie
i don't think I'd seen a Segal movie before, but when Under Siege 2 came out I dragged my friend who was visiting from out of town to go see it, because a) it was at the best scene downtown (Uptown 1), and fargin Eric Bogosian was the bad guy, and just from the commercial I could tell if nothing else there was a villain to root for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Achmed Jones posted:

for dinner we had a picnic in the living room while watching the newest muppet movie, 2014's muppets most wanted

it was really fuckin good. i strongly recommend it if you at all like the muppets. and if you don't like the muppets i'm lookin at you with some serious side-eye right now

it was enjoyable
i really liked the obvious joke that in the prison for the worst criminals, danny trejo was playing himself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

people have started mistaking worldbuilding for storytelling

boy is this ever true

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
l&o is great tv. it also pushes a very consistent narrative that cops, while personally flawed, are trying their best to protect decent people against the predations of criminals despite the irrational limits layered on them by feckless prosecutors and the contemptible interference of defense attorneys, and as such it is a pillar of american carceralism and police oppression. but, y’know, if you’re willing to overlook all that, it really is great tv. especially in those seasons with lennie briscoe; none of the other cops are ever quite the same

oh and anyone who starts to undermine that narrative gets quickly killed off or otherwise neutered

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 28, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

people have started mistaking worldbuilding for storytelling and I need them to stop

to be clear i agree, i just think it's an interesting distinction. from their perspective i suppose worldbuilding could easily be mistaken for storytelling

consider the way these movies are being made. disney obviously decreed that all of the properties should overlap, spin into sequels, have a billion things you can turn into toys, theme park rides, couch pillows, cruise ships — whatever, it doesn't matter, just shove some poo poo in there we can sell as a special edition easter egg or we'll find someone else that will

the part they're missing imo is that when this was done previously, it wasn't mandatory before the script was written. i'm going to use these two as examples because pretty much everyone knows them (if not one, then the other) and have a well-defined universe: for star wars, lucas came up with a bunch of toys and poo poo after they were released, not contemporaneously, and even then would have had zero impact on the characters or plot if they didn't make them at all. for star trek, gene roddenberry made a bunch of ostensibly tied-in crap and wrote it into a few scripts, but that was basically so he could grift off of it, not because he saw an opportunity for mr. data's cat (socks) cat socks or some poo poo yes i know he was checked out by then. it's a joke, nerd

so the setting essentially becomes a character in its own right. how do you spin something off 280 times if the world the characters inhabit is undefined?

you don't, you pretty much need to spend some percentage of the story fleshing out its surroundings. the problem is that they focus too heavily on this. the stars war and trek universes are very well defined, but they weren't at first: if you go back and watch a new hope or any early episode of TOS, you're just thrown into that universe without explanation. it naturally fleshes itself out and is built upon incrementally

and it works

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 28, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nice wide-ranging interview with george takei: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/nov/28/star-trek-george-takei-on-william-shatner-love-and-life-as-an-enemy-alien

i liked this story about leonard nimoy who, as always, comes across as an absolute mensch

quote:

"I didn’t realise what a loyal friend Leonard was till the latter part of our lives.” He cites the 2014 premiere of the documentary To Be Takei as an example. He had invited Nimoy, but assumed he would not make it because he was so ill. “Leonard came in a wheelchair. He was suffering from COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease], and had a tank of oxygen to breathe in, and he parked in the back of the theatre and watched it. I was so touched. I went to thank him, but he was gone by the time I got there. This was just months before he died.”

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cape poo poo I watched BLACK ADAM last night and it was one of the better supe flicks of recent years - not a great movie in itself, but better than stuff I've seen previously. Had that awful brown 'middle-east' filter on nearly the whole thing, and whatever you might say about Dwayne Johnson he has charisma, which was 99% forbidden to shine in this movie.

Pluspoints I liked Pierce Brosnan here, I can't think of a single cape film that has had an Old hero in it up until now, and it was a fun change. Also good to see Sarah Shahi again after a long time from Person of Interest, even if her role here wasn't very exciting.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ImSmilingRn/status/1575910600269406210

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rjmccall posted:

l&o is great tv. it also pushes a very consistent narrative that cops, while personally flawed, are trying their best to protect decent people against the predations of criminals despite the irrational limits layered on them by feckless prosecutors and the contemptible interference of defense attorneys, and as such it is a pillar of american carceralism and police oppression. but, y’know, if you’re willing to overlook all that, it really is great tv. especially in those seasons with lennie briscoe; none of the other cops are ever quite the same

oh and anyone who starts to undermine that narrative gets quickly killed off or otherwise neutered

in the early seasons the show pretty explicitly depicts the cops as loving up at times, and i'm pretty sure that's the intended read, too; they got way too eager/aggressive/sloppy and it hosed the prosecution's case. though honestly i think it's often basically a crutch for the writers to pad out the episode/ratchet up the tension: the cops hit the streets, they question some folks, they make an arrest, the prosecutors start the case - oops, case fell apart, the crook's about to go loose, go find more evidence! - just in time, back to the courtroom, let's make a deal, etc.

i'm the weirdo who really prefers ben stone over jack mccoy because ben stone is an unrealistically compassionate prosecutor and thus a much more sympathetic character; he is a very moral person who is, among other things, extremely unhappy about the prospect of sending someone to jail who didn't commit a crime. jack mccoy, on the other hand, is a much more realistic character, a mercenary rear end in a top hat who basically gets off on the exercise of his official power as executive assistant district attorney, and really just wants to rack up his score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

nice wide-ranging interview with george takei: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/nov/28/star-trek-george-takei-on-william-shatner-love-and-life-as-an-enemy-alien

i liked this story about leonard nimoy who, as always, comes across as an absolute mensch

when they were getting ready to do the animated series, the initial plan was to basically just hire Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, and then Doohan and Barrett as well; and then Doohan and Barrett would impersonate the rest of the cast that hadn't been re-hired. Doohan because he had done a bunch of voice work in the past, and Barrett because... well, because Roddenberry was loving her (and married to her by this point).

when Nimoy found out, he flipped out and refused to work if characters weren't played by their original actors. he knew they couldn't do it without Spock and they couldn't get away with recasting him, so Roddenberry conceded and hired most of the cast back. they didn't have enough money to get Walter Koenig back as Chekov (though they did have him write an episode), so in came Lt Arex voiced by Doohan. i think M'Ress was for episodes where Nichols couldn't make it in? or maybe they just didn't have enough money to have Nichols on every episode.