Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dioxazine posted:

i'm going to punish myself and watch The Great Wall with matt damon this weekend

i figured he'd be busy as hell, that's cool that he made time for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think he's taller than me, too. just more punches to the gut for me

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

reading Kaiju preservation society and while it's s fun setting and the line by line prose is perfectly fine, the plot and story beats are kinda rubbish. Feels like a lazy job by a good writer, very much a COVID book.
first time reading a Scalzi book?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

first time reading a Scalzi book?

lol it is actually, are they all like that? I assumed the constant exposition dumps were just a "let's chill and have fun" thing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dioxazine posted:

i think he's taller than me, too. just more punches to the gut for me

just give him a grisham novel and he'll pretend to be able to read it for hours

every time i see him at the airport same thing

hell everyone does

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Matt Damon's arc on House of Lies was funny. then he makes Don Cheadle's character give him a hand beezy to keep him as a client

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

lol it is actually, are they all like that? I assumed the constant exposition dumps were just a "let's chill and have fun" thing
I haven't read any of his books recently but my impression is that he's basically acknowledged that writing the laziest stuff possible to maximize the return on his effort is his goal and said that that's how he ended up writing Old Man's War.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dioxazine posted:

i'm going to punish myself and watch The Great Wall with matt damon this weekend

I rewatched elysium with matt damon, has huge plot holes, the metaphors are uranium-dense and a lot of the camera direction is bizarre but it sure is a blogkamp movie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

distortion park posted:

a friend of mine lent me red shirts, and the bit of it i read would lead me to believe that is the average quality of his work, yeah

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i liked old man’s war but it sure is lazy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they canceled los espookys

go watch it, it's good and only 12 episodes across both seasons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Guga Foods voice Fred Armisen is... not good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

Guga Foods voice Fred Armisen is... not good

he's uncle fester in the netflix addams family and it works

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh god and I just downloaded that series. hopefully he's not in it much

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gently caress fred armisen

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
holy crap

i just realized fred armisen is not in This Fool

it's chris Estrada

i knew armisen was part latino so give it a pass but omg goon face blindness strikes pretty hard this time

:beerpal:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

gently caress fred armisen

yeah p much this

he has a bad rep since portlandia and b4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

has he ever actually been funny or does he just act weird as a proxy for humour

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought I was the only person who hated him

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol no i always thought he was unfunny and really weird

but he kept showing up in things so i figured it was just me

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

has he ever actually been funny or does he just act weird as a proxy for humour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYIqBG1v8BY

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
wow normal looking kumail nanjiani even

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I watched Sorcerer last week and it ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejZVhJ6D3Y

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Same only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DREG0dOW8jw&t=5s

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qY3e6KP3TU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

mystes posted:

I haven't read any of his books recently but my impression is that he's basically acknowledged that writing the laziest stuff possible to maximize the return on his effort is his goal and said that that's how he ended up writing Old Man's War.

Lol I loved old man’s war series in my 20s. I should re read it. I do love me some trashy sci fi

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PuKqUNTd0

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

great wall was nothing special, lots of effects and the acting was all over the place. matt damon was solid

unlike some of the criticism levied against it, i don't think there's a white saviour complex or whitewashing in the movie. damon's role was clearly written with a non-chinese in mind and he doesn't espouse any high-minded ideals or ethical reticence. he's just there to kill stuff and get paid, which he does pretty well all things considered

not great, not terrible. enjoyable if you want to watch a big budget bad action movie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

lol i fuckin hated this book and it was entirely because it was just so fuckin dumb and lazy, like starship troopers but with a heaping helping of aging boomer wish fulfillment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

starship troopers but with a heaping helping of aging boomer wish fulfillment.

and you didn't like it?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

and you didn't like it?

it was like YA fiction but written for a rest home audience.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
OA fiction

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, YA fiction, but with less energy is about how i would describe red shirts too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
King Hu's "Raining In The Mountain" is on the criterion channel and well worth a watch imo. it's funny how the trailer makes it look like some full on kung fu fighting extravaganza, but it's way more intrigue and people skulking around a beautiful mountainside temple lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

seconding this. it is by far one of the best court intrigue movies from that era

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

haveblue posted:

they canceled los espookys

go watch it, it's good and only 12 episodes across both seasons

this loving sucks. the show was raelly good despite armisen

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Pccq0DZVc

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/vintagehistoria/status/1598726254043095040

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I watch anime, and I'm not going to watch anymore loving star wars or indiana jones or whatever. how do you guys keep watching endless star trek and star wars TV shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srnyVw-OR0g