Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i will probably never watch the nurse ratched show because why. why would anyone

that was instantly where my brain went when i read that tweet too. i am totally baffled by the idea that anyone could ever want that show.

imagine the meeting where a bunch of trust fund baby hollywood producers with room temperature iqs all agreed that NURSE RATCHED ORIGIN STORY???? was the best concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's literally this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJBmKQpZ02k&t=27s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey gottem!

(dab)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as far as i can tell the only contact graph has with this forum any more is posting baseball videos that no one cares about and periodically putting smoka in jail for anime

regime change now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't like most anime but i do like akira and redline.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anime movie: full of frog and dog people driving hyper jet rocket cars
Me: wow, what a crazy world, I wonder who the main character is going to be
Anime movie: also one white guy with a pompadour and leather jacket driving a classic muscle car
Me: oh okay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the EPA investigates the ghostbusters because they are storing ghosts in the basement and they think that might be like storing barrels of toxic waste.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

It's true. This man has no dick.

well that's what i heard!!!

(seriously a super weird bit of ADR)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

and iirc they do all get out in one of the movies, which is, like, exactly why it’s irresponsible

in the first movie dickless shuts down the containment and they escaping ghosts create all the events that take place in the third act of that movie, but it could be argued that the ghosts were just pissed off at being locked up in the first place.

in the second movie it becomes apparent that psychic energy can directly affect reality, because all the new yorkers' aggregated bad moods manifest as a river of pink goo under the city. so the EPA was probably correct that storing the psychic energy of 1000 imprisoned ghosts in the basement of the firehouse was akin to storing toxic waste, at least on a spiritual level

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dunno if it's just covid but it seems like movies are dying off. the only ones i'm looking forward to are dune and top gun 2.

everything is just a tv series now. let's have 8 hours of nurse ratched origin story!!!

e: planning to see new bill and ted too i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you actually watch a neil breen film

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm a fan of Elan Sleazebaggano™, a male Balosar slythmonger who was present on Coruscant, the capital of the Galactic Republic, during the Separatist Crisis. He tended to tour Coruscant's nightclubs to sell his addictive death sticks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

star trek is about riker boning everything remotely boneable in a 10,000 light year radius.

guaranteed he's done it with every alien on the ship, including data

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Data is a really crappy name for an android, it's like naming your cat fluffy or some poo poo

did data name himself that or did soong decide?

also you know that all of the soong androids were built as sex-bots. the fact that there's no lady bot just tells us that soong was gay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah okay. soong is also bi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

christopher nolan movies, not counting batmen:

memento: a noir-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
inception: a action-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
interstellar: a sci-fi-ish pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!
tenet: reportedly some sort of pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

now do dunkirk

good point! a war-themed pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry, this isn't 3-4 characters longer than the preceding line

dunkirk: a second-world-war-themed pseudo-thriller involving changing timelines!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's really nice when they get the details right like that

the movie K-19: The Widowmaker is not very good overall, but the part where they go in to fix the reactor is the most accurate welding i've seen in a film. they actually use two different rigs to do the cutting and the welding! first they haul in an oxyacetylene rig with an actual cutting torch fitted and use it to remove the broken pipe. then they pull that out and go in with a stick welder to fit it back together, even properly scratch-starting the arc.

after 10000 films where no distinction is made between welding and cutting, and both are just a blue propane flame that shoots sparks everywhere like they're welding with a sparkler, it was quite wonderful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay, but when the genre has things like the hunt for red october and das boot, ehhhhhh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can never put as much thought into the reproductive behavior of the Cars cars as people on the internet already have

i got probated for posting objectively hilarious rule 34 of a pregnant prius

e: lol i forgot that the reason was "toyota prius vagina" as if that's actually a thing that could be offensive. humans don't have the ability to comprehend whatever it was

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 1, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i googled around to find it and the image link led me back to...the something awful forums, where the pictures are still posted on page 1 of a gray forum thread, unspoilered and with no nws tags. the OP is even a yosposter. this is a witch hunt

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685620

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i watched that episode the other day and it is so good

the zoidberg planet national anthem being the kirk/spock fight music is a nice touch

Schadenboner posted:

Is there a definitive watch/skip list for Futurama?

I feel like I've tried to do watch-throughs of it but once I get to the ones where they make "Movies" (that were p.clearly just three or four epis taped together) I get real :flaccid: real quick?

just watch up to the opera, which is a really nice and sweet ending for the series.

all the other stuff is bonus features

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

Benders Game, probably the best of the movies

https://i.imgur.com/QIBBUWo.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

I like the bit where Bender is apparently shot dead but it turns out he's fine because he had a bullet-proof vest hanging on a coat-hanger inside his chest cavity??

I like the recurring gag where we're reminded that robots are effectively immortal

"We thought you were dead!"
"Nah, they just shot us a bunch of times and buried us in the desert as a warning"

"Boy, I'm glad you got that beam off my head when you did. Another few hundred years and I'd be done for"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh get hosed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i remember seeing this movie and wondering what the gently caress jack nicholson was thinking but it turns out he got an absolute barrelful of money and made that sequel to Chinatown with it so idk its sorta a wash

i fully support "serious" actors doing dumb poo poo cartoon movies where they get to ham it up

when the latest star trek came out a bunch of people i knew were like "ohhhhh what a WASTE of idris elba, putting him in dumb monster make up to play a star trek villain"

and i was like man. idris elba plays the painfully cool handsome classy guy in every other thing ever. let him dress up in a rubber suit and stomp around growling that he's gonna DESTROY CAP-TAIN KIRK for a while. i bet it's fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning" is a wonderful turn of phrase, indeed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

this sucks poo poo

your monitor
turn it on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i have tried to read walden like SO MANY TIMES but i just cant get past like 30 pages of talking about how to stay warm

walden pond is literally less than a mile away from the center of concord, MA

thoreau was "roughing it" within shouting distance of his local general store

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay so we had discovery then short treks then picard then lower decks and now this? all in like 3 years? gently caress's sake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zeno's paradox works because a distance is infinitely divisible into smaller fractions without affecting its character. this "paradox" is invalid because at some point you are going to get down to one xeno and it can only be alive or dead. you can't half-kill it. sheesh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:eng101: :tipshat:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

the entire genre of the wacky sadbrain self hating rich person who selfishly abuses everyone around them is regressive and should go away imo

i agree, it's extremely masturbatory

see also: movies about young scriptwriters/actors/filmmakers, who are smarter/better than everyone else but misunderstood, just trying to catch their big break in hollywood. gently caress off

e: also movies about middle aged businessmen having a crisis trying to figure out why their mansions and cars don't make them happy. especially in hollywood. gently caress off

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 13, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

my favorite: literary novels where the main character is a college professor who is having a midlife crisis and sleeps with one or more beautiful students

did you steal my manuscript???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the all-time best ending to any show ever was Newhart and if you disagree, you are cordially invited to kiss my lily-white rear end

actually 30 rock had the best final season and finale, and will forever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oh drat people watch that poo poo?

it's a really good show with a good heart. idk if it's your style though.

e: there is an episode where tina fey dates james franco and he has an anime body pillow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgUFcxIR4o

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it won like 15 emmys

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it also has a shitload of star wars references because donald glover was a writer on it and he loves star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

cool I'll check it out after the next episode of young sheldon

this is equivalent to you saying "you should watch the wind rises" and people responding "lol yeah i'll check it out after secret toilet pantsu shaming xviii" so fair enough i guess