Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i remember liking season 1 well enough also, but never bothered with anything after that. i can't stand teenager sex stuff though it's all too cringe for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I am enjoying shogun but something about the main english dude's acting bothers me. it's not necessarily bad but maybe the whole fish out of water trope and his sarcastic quips don't fit very well with the rest of the drama. I have never read the book for comparison either

also it wasn't clear to me how toranaga initially knew that he could use blackthorne to sow division between his rivals. at that point he had no idea about the portugese deception

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 18, 2024

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

me neither, I have never seen the original

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

watched poor things last night and wowee that was not what I was expecting but still enjoyed it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I watched lynchdune immediately after finishing the first book and I hated it. The sets and costumes were superb but that's it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol it took me all the way through that trailer to twig what the repeated metal riff was from :o:

i had to look it up in the comments. was so familiar but couldn't place it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just got back from dune 2 and it was v enjoyable

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's been a few days since I watched dune 2 but I can't stop thinking about the visuals. everything was so on point and satisfying. so menacing. even small things like how their laser weapons were continuous beams of light rather than the typical PEW PEW projectiles you see in sci-fi. I remember thinking the same thing in the first part, when the bombs were slowly penetrating the ship's shields. just a delight to watch.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

quiggy posted:

villeneuve has a great eye for sci-fi visuals

https://i.imgur.com/XtV5IuB.mp4

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ok my only gripe with dune 2 was casting walken because I can’t see his face and think of anything other than all of his previous roles.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

so the guild is the only group that can travel between planets because of their navigators right, and they need spice to do so. and there was mention of spice quotas not being met because of the fremen attacks. so it makes sense that the guild would happily buy spice from smugglers to fill the gap especially if it was being sold for less than the harkonnens.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sometimes youtube recommends me videos of various celebs taking about their favorite movies, and so far I have seen a few of them with bill hader, and he seems like a big film nerd that appreciates little details that a lot of people wouldn't make note of. here's one where he is talking about the burbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oQvFpQpB4

anyway that led me to hearing about Barry so I decided to check it out because it seemed to have decent reviews and I ended up binging the entire first season last night.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I finished season 2 of Barry. It's the right amount of silly and 30 minute episodes means there is very little filler. The writing isn't perfect but I'll give it a pass because it's not meant to be taken so seriously.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

this spice is too strong for you

lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the one animatrix segment about the kids that discover the weird gravity anomaly was cool and i would watch more like that. it would work better if it was episodic though. like the outer limits set in the matrix

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just remembered that walken is dancing to dune references in the weapon of choice video lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

watched when evil lurks, an incredibly hosed up horror movie with great practical effects and gore. the trailer gives away too much, best to go in blind

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I started re-reading dune this weekend because I wanted to refresh my memory and then start dune messiah which I've had on my shelf for years but never opened. It's been a while but I think in the book, chani is pretty much OK with paul's political move at the end there.

fart simpson posted:

biggest difference is chani isn't a real character in the books

At first I interpreted this post literally, as a troll. But I think I get what you mean now, and yeah.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I read dune in like 2010 or so but I forgot most of it except for the key events, and I am about 25% through re-reading it again now and there's a lot of stuff that would have been neat to see in the movie. unfortunately it would be extremely challenging to cram into a single film (or 2, or 3).

I also re-watched the first movie with a friend last weekend who had never read the book or seen any of the other adaptations and he enjoyed it but still felt like there was a lot of context he was unaware of, and yeah, that's really hard without a lot of forced exposition.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah shogun is fine, I watched like 5 or 6 episodes so far. the white dude is easily the worst part of the story lol - the whole fish out of water trope is tiring.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fallout is streaming a day early

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I watched the first two episodes of fallout and I like it. It's full of fan service of course but it's also amazing how well they captured the look and feel of the games (especially fallout 4). Even down to the little Tato plants in the background of one scene. Seriously impressive attention to detail. The absurdity and silliness is just right. Some things are so unrealistic but it perfectly matches what happens in the game so all you can do is laugh and go along for the ride. The stim pack perfectly healing the dog lol. A Good Show

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rotor posted:

the fallout show contains an UNBELIEVABLE amount of fanservice but somehow its not awful

i think it works because 90% of it is in the background and never mentioned by any characters

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i love that stimpacks work exactly like the game with no explanation

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shaggar posted:

its what my character in the game would have done (altho my speech and/or sneak would have got me out of it)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Shaggar posted:

the fallout tv macguffin being cold fusion is dumb as hell, but otherwise i enjoyed it. thank u todd

yeah it seemed like power was already a solved problem because fusion cores seem to work perfectly fine powering vaults for 200 years? when all the lights in the destroyed skyline turned on at the end it felt like the most pointless "victory" moment ever. I guess fusion cores are supposed to be rare or something I guess but also every BoS suit is using one

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 15, 2024

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm paying my dues now with animal crossing and minecraft, but in a few years it'll be my turn to jabber on about a video game

lol my 9yo already knows more about dark souls than me. i've only finished it once and he has 3 times now. a few months back we were having a lazy games day because it was a blizzard outside and he did a full play through in one day

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the fred armisen bit felt like it was straight out of portlandia and it kinda felt out of place for a gag in fallout, but I still laughed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nah it wasn’t explained

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

indigi posted:

she's obviously a ghoulie or golem or whatever but has a cache of skincare products

a ghoul reversal serum would have been a way better macguffin compared to cold fusion

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

rjmccall posted:

dan harmon is writing a live-action one punch man screenplay

gross

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah that part makes no sense. there’s other fuckery going on later that wasn’t explained yet either. like the other pregnant woman is apparently from vault 31 but she wasn’t one of the original vault tec executives that got frozen. also when they clean up the destroyed vault and make it look like nothing happened. obviously everyone knows raiders took it over. i guess we don’t know why the original vault 32 peeps died yet

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

watched Freddy Got Fingered, and it was worth watching just so I could find out for myself what the deal was. some great absolutely lol moments (for me), but I can see why people would want to avoid it. almost wish I'd seen it in the theatre when it came out just to see what a group reaction would've been like.

i still reference “daddy would you like some sausage” to myself whenever i cook sausage

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

well-read undead posted:

i bought blade runner and fury road on blu ray at barnes and noble for $5 each today. physical media, at the mall. feeling pretty retro

gently caress yeah. watching poo poo offline at peak bitrate owns

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

watched godzilla minus one and it was pretty good

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

https://x.com/anyafolders/status/1786007914790166587?s=46

“I see why you wear stuff like this, it’s completely useless, just like you”

—ST. ALIA OF THE KNIFE AS RECORDED BY THE PRINCESS IRULAN.
MINUTES OF THE EMPEROR IN COUNCIL

im like 70% thru dune measiah right now so I get this reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Carthag Tuek posted:

for sure i will talk up anyone lol. theres a lot i love about interstellar, actually, but imo nolan peaked with memento, which tbf has the perfect cast. most of his movies are flashy and immediate and im not impressed.

the first villeneuve movie i saw was prisoners, which is a very small scale, just some lovely suburb. but man that stayed with me.

prisoners is so good