Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
FTR vs Dinosaur Express 1 0.89%
Kaz vs Hangman 3 2.68%
Ivelisse vs Rosa 1 0.89%
THE PARKING LOT FIGHT 107 95.54%
Total: 112 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I completely forgot to watch last night like a big stupid idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

The Stroker Ace posted:

Late Night Dynamite also makes for great Early Morning Dynamite

Watching Ben Carter reminds me of mid-00's Brian Kendrick so much I'm half expecting Paul London to join in and make a tag title run

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Stroker Ace posted:

It's only 44 mins!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Pretty good Dynamite hour last night! Ben Carter was amazing and Sydal looked great. Spears' gimmick continues to be more stupid the more he overuses it.

For how much I like Tully, I really hate his entire stable lol.

Also, n'thing what some goons said a few pages back, if you haven't seen Ben Carter vs Lee Johnson on Dark, do that immediately.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-7v0vjX5Y#t=4296s

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Miro making his in-ring debut tonight

https://twitter.com/tonykhan/status/1308624857060577280?s=21

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Holy poo poo I just realised I know Ben Carter, he's from my local fed.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Sweet! It’s already on TNT’s app and I don’t have poo poo to do today!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Watching the Carter / Johnson match on Dark and I've figured out what is working about it so much. Both of these guys are just going for it. It's not a match against a veteran where you might be able to get your stuff in for 3 minutes. It's a showcase of you. Reminded me of when you see two guys on the undercard of an indie show who have decided to get noticed. They both went for it, and as a result we got something remarkable.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think there should be discrimination among the wrestlers like some of you are suggesting

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Johnson has a lot of potential but he needs to work on his personality - he's not very expressive and seems like he's thinking really hard about everything. He's still very bland as an in-ring persona, but no doubt the skill and ability to put on good matches is there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cavauro posted:

i don't think there should be discrimination among the wrestlers like some of you are suggesting

I think all wrestlers should be discriminated against, personally.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

She’s gone full carny, and it’s great.

https://twitter.com/sueshulo/status/1308810575259017217?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

need a Sue World Order

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This company is so loving wholesome.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Things I’m excited for tonight:

1) AEW Dynamite is on. So I have to tune in.
2) What if Retribution shows up? That means I have to watch Dynamite to see if they do!
3) Miro’s new gear. Genuinely, I want to see it. I haven’t seen him wrestle since his debut as Rusev when he didn’t wear boots.
4) The 6-man tag because Ricky Starks is my best friend. He is very supple, not a filibuster and he is my friend, not yours, mines.
5) Just continued progression of all the storylines. I’m super invested right now and I feel AEW has been making strong moves with their talent.

And Thunder Rosa. She rules. She can be my 6th reason to tune in tonight.

I’m really enjoying this show and I’m going to help them in the Nielsen ratings because Tony is nice.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

All of this rules so much. Best Friends have a 5 star match, Sue's making some cash, and AEW (much like Best Friends in general) is giving the people what they want!!!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

WWE: Nobody gets to be over, the brand is the star!

AEW: Our wrestlers are so over even their moms have have their own PWT stores.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

A Fancy Hat posted:

All of this rules so much. Best Friends have a 5 star match, Sue's making some cash, and AEW (much like Best Friends in general) is giving the people what they want!!!

Trent getting his mom a merch contract and multiple paydays is some Carny of the Year poo poo. I love it.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
5 and 10 were really good as a team on dark. I think it's neat that the dark order have three legitimately good tag teams they can throw out there.

both dark and late night dynamite were great. and we get more tonight!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

five and dime is a real cool tag team name that i made. jusht tremendush

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cavauro posted:

five and dime is a real cool tag team name that i made. jusht tremendush

When I was a teenager and we did back yard wrestling stuff we had two guys, Jake and Bonzi. Bonzi was a larger fella. So I always thought they should team and be Jake and The Fat Man, but the joke would be the roles were reversed. No one understood this reference because this was like 2002, and the police procedural of the same name ran for one season in 1987 so no one knew what the gently caress I was talking about. Thank you for your time.

E: I was 17, they just used to play reruns of that poo poo on... USA or TNT. Before or after some wrestling show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Silver Sue is loving MONEY

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
hopefully this will lead to Greggie dropping the terrible TRENT? name and just be Greg Marasciulo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ben carter was fantastic last night. sydal looked really good but i dont really get having him lose to spears straight away tbh.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

shiksa posted:

ben carter was fantastic last night. sydal looked really good but i dont really get having him lose to spears straight away tbh.

Matt Sydal does not have a long term agreement with AEW, so like Jeff Cobb before him he gets to look cool and lose.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

shiksa posted:

It's so he can have a feud with Sky, which Sky will win.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Reality Protester posted:

hopefully this will lead to Greggie dropping the terrible TRENT? name and just be Greg Marasciulo

I love that he's TRENT? so I hope this doesn't happen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is there a reason Trent can't use Beretta? Did both WWE/NJPW claim his last name or something?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Is there a reason Trent can't use Beretta? Did both WWE/NJPW claim his last name or something?

He just randomly dropped it back in NJPW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
(Normal Time) Dynamite Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941558

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love that Chuckie and Trent will just call each other Greg or Dustin sometimes they just have no regard for kayfabing their names at all and it rules

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

karmicknight posted:

Matt Sydal does not have a long term agreement with AEW, so like Jeff Cobb before him he gets to look cool and lose.

oh gotcha. i had kinda assumed otherwise w him being on bte and getting booked on dynamite shortly after, that makes sense tho. he did look cool.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I have to agree that leagues just kind of aren't feasible with a promotion structured around two hours of weekly tv. I guess NXT did that dinky BOSJ-alike but that was 2 blocks of 4 guys and at that point you can just do an 8 man tournament because you basically get the same use out of it and you don't have to worry about doing block math. If AEW decided to do a King Of DARK league where Will Hobbs, Ben Carter, Shawn Dean, MUSA, Janela, The Butcher, Angelico, Megabyte Ronnie, Griff, and Sydal composed the single block, that would still be 9 shows of 5 matches each, and they don't have the New Japan multiple shows a week touring structure to make that fit into a reasonable amount of time.

They've shown that they can make tournaments work, and I'd love to see more of those. Maybe an end of year tournament where the top 16 guys in the singles ranking are seeded by record and whoever wins gets a title shot on the New Year's Dynamite would be cool.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think they could do a tournament but it will be a while. But a couple years down the road I think AEW could absolutely get its audience to buy into blocking off a series of shows to be about a G1 style tournament. But it's going to be a while until they're in a spot where they could make that pitch to the audience.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

585k, 9th in the DEMO

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
12:38 a.m.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pylons posted:

585k, 9th in the DEMO

That's way better than I thought it would do, for a one-hour off time slot show that started that late.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pylons posted:

585k, 9th in the DEMO

Wrap it up

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ninth is good considering the thing started nearly three hours late when most sane people would be in bed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think they could do a tournament but it will be a while. But a couple years down the road I think AEW could absolutely get its audience to buy into blocking off a series of shows to be about a G1 style tournament. But it's going to be a while until they're in a spot where they could make that pitch to the audience.

The problem is less getting the audience to buy in to having a bunch of matches, it's that when you have one show a week, what takes a month maybe in New Japan turns into two months at the very least over weekly Dynamites.