Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm only a pint of jack and coke in but guys i'm feeling a little optimistic here:

https://twitter.com/vanitaguptaCR/status/1307153104941518848

GUYS WE GOT HIM

:lol: because this won't matter to anyone :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if god wins, why are there still wiccans and satanists killing babies?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Zurtilik posted:

The Second Civil Was wasn't about presidential power it was about the lack of religious freedom.

The second civil war was about states' rights like you wouldn't believe, the best rights, from the standpoint of states. Beautiful states' rights.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the 2nd half is me presenting my design slides at work

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mexico is part of America. Is this radical communist offering health care to illegal immigrants from Mexico??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

It was an off duty cop wasn't it?

no a pre-hire cop, this was the job interview

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah! Remember that first Next Generation episode? Where Q takes them to the worst part of their past, which is still our future? There were violent, drug addicted guards, a totalitarian judge, and a crowd of people who were clearly destitute and sick but also very eager to see the judge make some other people suffer.

We're right on track.

we're actually cruising straight into the bell rights right on time for 2024
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bell_Riots

in DS:9, this was one of the pivotal events that steered earth (or at least the US) away from hands-off-the-wheel capitalism backed by a fascist police state and toward a more equitable society.

the setup for the episode is that in the early 2020s, the unemployed, mentally ill, and other undesirables were herded into concentration camps "sanctuary cities" where they were left to rot while being brutalized by gangs of cops outfitted like soldiers who viewed them as subhumans (except, LOL, modern cops are even more militarized than what the costume designers imagined in that episode.)

a protest in one of the camps turned violent, and in the original timeline (which the DS9 crew has to fix in the episode after it gets disrupted), police shot and killed a black man who led the protest. someone was able to live-stream the police murder squad as they stormed the protest and the general public was forced to confront the ugly truth which was normally kept comfortably out of sight and out of mind.

every single thing in that episode could easily happen by 2024, except that last part. LOL!

edit: although, a lot more boomers are gonna stroke out in the next 4 years, so maybe even the last part about the average voter finally finding the tiniest shred of empathy for the poor and disenfranchised could fit

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 25, 2020

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

An insane mind posted:

What is the deal with that orb anyway? Is it supposed to be some relic?

we have top men investigating the orb right now. TOP, from the perspective of males, MEN

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, that clip is probably the most i've ever liked joe biden

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Grondoth posted:

Hillary was up 2 in this poll at the same time. The numbers were closer than we remember.

Hillary in Nov 2016 vs today.

LOL!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my favorite part of the debate drugs thing was when trump announced that biden got, specifically, a big shot in the rear end before his debate with bernie, so now we all know that whenever trump needs a brain boost before a rally or debate, he's pulling down those huggies elastic bands for the needle.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

vaginite posted:

Any occupation that involves some kind of engagement with Trump's bare rear end would require a massive salary

Millions of people would do it for free. Exhibit A, born to wipe and already equipped with the required safety equipment:

Exhibit B could probably be every single boomer where i work :smith: (but nevertheless, lol)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm not getting my hopes up that this guy's breakdown was over some brewing story that's going to blow the lid off another huge scandal any day now. it just reads like an ordinary rear end in a top hat domestic abuser that just happens to be a former trump campaign guy instead of a police officer this time.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Batterypowered7 posted:

Do you think Georgia is more or less likely than Florida? I'm really hoping the dong goes Blue this time.

FL will go red, I'm absolutely sure of it. Biden has a 1-2% polling lead right now, but it's less than the lead that the democratic governor and senate candidates had the week before the 2018 midterm, and both lost. The polls were off by about 4%. I live in suburban FL on the east coast and it's always leaned conservative (like 60/40), but it's never felt as lopsided as it does this year. I see flags, signs, stickers, and hats for our wet american president everywhere and almost nothing for Biden. The urban areas will vote for Biden, but I don't think it will be enough to counterbalance the suburbs. And that's assuming the governor, a man who ran a TV ad of himself reading The Art of the Deal to his toddler, doesn't gently caress around with the results (which he will if it's close).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Batterypowered7 posted:

Think Bloomberg's gambit will change anything by election day?

I haven't really looked into how it works. I read he started some fund to pay the fines / restitution that the FL legislature and supreme court enacted to undermine the amendment that voters passed to restore voting rights to felons. But I'm sure the state won't just accept a lump sum from a fund like that, they'll probably make every single person go through an individual process to pay the fees and apply to get their rights restored, and make it as hard and time consuming as humanly possible just like they do with any other programs the state has to legally provide but doesn't actually want to (e.g., unemployment). Then once that's done, they'll have to register to vote. The deadline for that is October 5th. So if Bloomberg's thing is actually guiding people through that and trying to expedite the process of getting 10s of thousands of people with felonies in their past actually registered, then yes it could make a difference. But if they didn't actually follow through with anything other than money, then no it probably won't.

I guess you'd also have to assume that a significant majority of felons with outstanding fines would vote against trump for it to matter. That very well could be the case given the racism in the justice system and demographic voting trends, but I haven't seen the numbers to know how big of an effect it is.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, that veritas video claims individual votes were sold for $200 and $800. how many votes would someone need to buy to flip just a house district? at least several thousand even in a very tight race, right? you can just outright buy a congressman for $10k-100k campaign contributions depending on how important they are. only a truly presidential brain could believe someone would spend that much and take the risk on thousands of individual fraud cases to directly buy votes for a single house seat.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

same energy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Someone's been spending timing with Pence this week. It sounds like he's describing a horse.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

bees everywhere posted:

I check CNN and Fox News every morning

LOL

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

biden should bring a few fish delights to the podium and a little fan to waft the scent over to the other podium

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Remember when presidential candidates rode trains across the country and gave speeches from the caboose? Forget car drivers and boaters, I want to know who the rail crowd endorses.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hope the next tweet is a video of biden's piss streaming into the backstage toilet followed by him walking out without flushing, taunting trump that if he really wants some piss he knows where to find it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

So you're saying... even the Republican establishment is sick of Trump and ready to cut their losses.

*looks at Rick Snyder endorsement*

*looks at Tom Ridge endorsement*

Hmmmmm....

Or American conservatism is regressing so fast that their lifetime appointments from prior election cycles are already noticeably less reactionary than the overt fascism of 2020

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ug, the stand back, stand by thing isn't just bad because he's yet again refusing to disavow white supremacists, he's acknowledging out in the open now that they take their orders from him

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Frank Frank posted:

"I totally have no idea who the Proud Boys are which is why I mentioned them by name during the debate out of nowhere when I was asked about white supremacists (not Proud Boys)".

Hmmm yes.

In the clips, I'm pretty sure the moderator mentions them first, not Trump, although he certainly reacted like he recognized the name. The weird part about him denying he knows who they are this afternoon is that he's had all last night and morning to look up the group to whom he issued a standby order, which became the biggest story of the debate. He's obviously lying about not knowing who they are, but the excuse they went with is that the bigly president with his even biglier brain and his whole team of the best people haven't been able to figure out the mystery of the proud boys yet in the last 16 hours.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I keep seeing Right Wing POC say that the Proud Boys can't possibly be white supremacists because they have a number of non-white members.

I know that's a bullshit excuse but it does make me curious about the psychology of the minority members.

oh no it's :effort: time, please bear with me:

I won't pretend to know the full story here, but I've seen this unfold a little bit in my family. I have racist boomer parents. It's pretty common where I live in suburban FL. They're an older school of racists who don't openly march with hoods, but also aren't afraid to share their tier list of races to anyone who will listen, at least in the privacy of their own home -- not so much in public anymore as when I was a kid. My brother never really escaped this mindset, but I think it became clear to millennials and maybe some younger gen-X that they just can't get away with that anymore in most public spaces. You can't just say the N word at your office job or in the classroom anymore. In the 90s when I was in middle and high school, I remember hearing slurs all the time. Contrast that with now -- I work at an office in the same area where I grew up with a lot of 50+ year old suburban chuds who listen to conservative talk radio half the day, and I've never heard one of them drop a classic™ racial slur.

They've derived a new form of hate that isn't explicitly based on "brown, therefore bad". They won't condemn a whole race. Instead they've turned to dogwhistles about "culture" and couch it in mostly nationalistic terms. Two years ago at Christmas my brother, for example, got drunk and went on a long rant about how he's a "western chauvinist" or some weird term like that. His message was that white western capitalist culture is the best there is, and we owe all of the great accomplishments of the last millennia to Europe and its colonies that adopted "european culture". And based on that premise, he believes that the rest of the world must adopt the same culture because it's the only way forward, but it's especially important to defend it and promote it in the US. He said he has no problem with any race as long as they basically white-wash themselves and fall in line as good capitalist workers, and if they do they will achieve economic and social equality with good old fashioned bootstraps and elbow grease. And anyone who doesn't want to do that must be forced to for the greater good.

So basically, it's the most naive and narrow world view combined with a complete lack of empathy and perspective about others (probably due to a privileged life that's never faced any hardship from the power structures of society) with a dash of white-man's-burden and "hate the sin not the sinner" horseshit, plus a weird outlook that there is some end-game that the human race is working toward which we need to maximize our economic output to achieve at any cost. And if that means gay people need to stay in the closet because only atomic families with a mom and a dad can raise a good worker (and yes, my family tells me they don't hate gay people, yet they still preach this), so be it. As far as I know, this is essentially in line with the proud boy beliefs, along with the no-touch-wiener stuff -- which I think my brother also believes, but he hasn't said it directly, just vague hints here and there and I really don't want to ask.

That's just one anecdote, and I can't tell you whether those beliefs are held in bad faith because they know they can't get away with out-right white nationalism and nazi flags anymore so they stick to crypto-racism instead -- or if they truly did decide that racial discrimination is wrong and indefensible, but still can't escape the feeling of superiority they were programmed with from birth, so they decided "well if it's not because of my race, it must be because of our great culture and my great upbringing" or something along those lines. And that feeling of superiority is obviously attractive to more than just white people, so they are able to recruit non-white and LGBT people who want in to the, uh, "master-not-race"? club.

I know Trump supporters at work, and they bristle with rage anytime they hear something about all Trumpers being racist. I believe to them that racism is simply a matter of not letting the N word escape like it's some kind of magic smoke. If you hold in the N word, then your'e not racist. So only the farthest right fringe groups like the ones at the unite the right rally are racists and white supremacists, and your average chud to them is not racist by their strict definition. It doesn't matter if you can see right through the veil of culture and nationalism they maintain that by pure coincidence leads to policies and attitudes the preserve the blatant racial economic and social divisions, because they have plausible deniability.

Sorry to bring this into a thread that's supposed to be LOLs about the president's poopy diapers, I'll try to do better.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 30, 2020

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

If European culture is the greatest culture, then where's my drat socialized healthcare and month-long vacations?

yeah, i spent some time picking apart all his dumbass ideas about what defines western culture, all of the atrocities and horrors that culture was also responsible for, his lack of historical knowledge about any other areas of the world, how the world isn't some game of civilization where we just need to ramp up production for a few more turns and then we'll reach the victory condition, how we can always do better than the past, etc etc etc. i don't think it made any difference, because i don't think his views are based on a set of logical steps that reach a conclusion, but rather a conclusion that he (or more likely the facebook groups he reads) worked backward from by cherry-picking bits of evidence from here and there. in other words, facts aren't the foundation, the conclusion is, so when you take away the facts the structure isn't threatened.

now i just block him on all social media and don't talk to him. :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah i bet the police are gonna be really quick to removing their off-duty poll watchers

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo they get to wear a safety helmet

They pummel him so lightly and delicately but he sounds like he's about to poo poo his pants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPABaFF1pD0

:lol:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Zurtilik posted:

HOPE HICKS KILLS HICK'S HOPE!

:trumppop:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we’ve always been at war with the fine people

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a real nostradamus here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I said come in! posted:

They wont be able to hide it, that poo poo will knock him on his rear end hard assuming he isnt asymptomatic. And considering his age, and health issue, it'll likely kill him.

can’t wait to see don jr or eric restrained and tubed to dad as a blood bag, fury road style, behind him at the next rally or press briefing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

smoobles posted:

Uhhh I kinda agree that the Melania tapes make her look cool and normal

what's wrong with me

Yeah, I kinda have the same opinion. I think CNN believes it's a gotcha for two reasons. One is because she obviously doesn't care about Christmas, when part of the conservative culture war is forcing Christmas on everyone and pretending like they're the most oppressed group in history because someone said "happy holidays". And the seconds is, even though she's right about being basically powerless to do anything herself about child separation and that concentration camps were also a thing under Obama (albeit not as intentionally cruel), she does come off as callous about the whole kids disappearing and being sent back home with no one to take care of them, or worse sold to the Epstein-Maxwell Foundation Orphanage For Disadvantaged Youths, while their parents were imprisoned.

I don't think it's going to turn any supporters against her though, because I don't think conservatives actually care about the Christmas thing at all, they just like any excuse to roleplay a victim. So they're not going to be offended when someone on their side says something bad about Christmas. And conservatives definitely don't give a poo poo about imprisoning undocumented people from Mexico and Latin America or what happens to their kids, so when she says "give me a loving break", they're gonna bow their maga hats solemnly and say "amen".

She's still a garbage human who has had ample time to speak out or leave, but in this recording she comes off as pretty normal and grounded in the context of the company she keeps. Or at least that's my read on it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

It's nuts to think that the first lady is powerless.

Yeah, you're right. When I said that, I was thinking along the lines of her having no direct power to change ICE policy, but she could've at least said something publicly or threatened divorce or used whatever behind the scenes pull she had. But I still don't think it's an effective gotcha for anyone who still supports her, because we already knew that the Trump admin didn't give a poo poo about the separated kids, so this isn't a revelation to anyone left in their fan club. Like, they went to court to fight to not have to reunite them. It was their goal to be as cruel as possible to immigrants (and still get away with). So if the story is supposed to be "Melania said give me a loving break when asked about child separation", well, we already knew that. This isn't a case where they put on a big show publicly and then said the exact opposite stuff in private.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

At his age, he's probably got an 80-90% chance to recover, plus he'll have access to the best possible care, but even Boris Johnson had to spend a few days in the ICU. But for now, all we can do is LOL about this turn of events.

LOL

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Diorama posted:

Who was the largeish man who did press conferences in the early days? he would get worked up and apparently ate like a pound of cinnamon gum a week

I didn't know Sean Spicer chewed spicy gum. What does this mean for Matthew Calamari.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pixaal posted:

what there's 100 senators? So 10 dead?

given their average age, if every senator got it, that outcome isn't too far off

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

i've been rewatching ds9, theres an episode where sisko, odo, jadzia and garek are transported back to the bajoran occupation on ds9/terek nor and jadzia (as a bajoran) becomes dukat's "friend"... so like they pretty much had sex too right? but in the end it was some weird projection of odo's molecular structure that caused them to end up in one of his nightmares or something so i guess dax only had sex with dukat in odo's dream? but dax remembers it (but not dukat cause he wasn't real).

and yet jadzia had the nerve to slap sisko in the mirrorverse for making love to her under false pretenses, what a hypocrite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

smoobles posted:

74 year olds have a 94% survival rate ON AVERAGE, everyone keeps forgetting that Trump is massively obese, and that's the primary factor in dying

covid is a heart & vascular disease

he is going to die

this also describes about 2/3rds of the 70 year olds in the US, and the death rate is still under 10%. even so, exiting times. it's not often an unforced error leads to a 1 in 10 slow-mo diceroll on the life of a sitting president.