Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Doyle's Holmes is a volcel who seems to feel disdain or indifference towards women, with the exception of Irene Adler in A Scandal in Bohemia. Watson says that Holmes doesn't feel attracted to her, just admires her wit, and most people who write about the original Holmes say that the canon doesn't support a romantic connection.

quote:

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. [...] And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory.

But I wondered if that's actually true. The only payment he requests from his client at the end of the case is a photo of her. That seems like a pretty clear indicator that he feels some sort of love or attraction that surpasses mere respect. Like if Adler were a man I doubt Holmes would have said "oh no need for payment, let me just keep this dude's headshot"

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU