Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
What do you think happens to us when we die? Do you believe in heaven and hell? Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you think we simply cease to exist? Do we go to the great comedy forum in the sky where we post for eternity?

Thoughts about what happens to us when we die..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
someone is going to have to explain lardroom to me.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Lardroom. Lardroom is an EP by the American noise rock band Barkmarket, released on August 8, 1994 by American Recordings.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Kind of prefer Barfmarket.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCzepV_pdI

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Dear Watson posted:

I’m hoping I just end. I’m terrified that my consciousness will create an incredibly long fever dream during our last moments. You know something like Jacobs ladder.

I used to have this daydream that I missed my own death somehow and was living some kind of solipsistic afterlife that I was not aware of. Like my brain activity in the last few minutes of my life somehow surpassed the constraints of time and what was perhaps 7 minutes of activity was perceived as an eternity by me... or just an endless string of time where I think I am still alive.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Frank Frank posted:

In the afterlife, you could be headed for the serious strife. Now you make the scene all day but tomorrow there will be hell to pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS2IBMQIjDo

Literally A Person posted:

*terrible trumpet solo mouth-noises*

beat me to it.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
All i know is i've petted A LOT of cats. So either im super ok or super hosed.

Who What Now posted:

You get reincarnated as yourself but with a slightly bigger or smaller dick depending on multiple factors but primarily based on how many cats you pet.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Who What Now posted:

Depends on how you feel about having a massive hog

Well I don't want to be a freak in reinforced underwear.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Earwicker posted:

you go into spectator mode and become an invisible orbiting camera tabbing between the various humans that are still left

I would enjoy haunting the poo poo out of everyone I know. I will be the whispering laughter you hear in your ear every time you fall down.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

What happens in the afterlife?

This.

Give me one good argument as to why this isn't Hell.

This goes back to my whole theory that I am already dead and somehow missed it.

Anyway, if hell is but the absence of God, I can't think of a good argument for how we are not already in hell.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Moon Atari posted:

I bet that daydream would be even more compelling if rather than missing your death you had clear memories of experiencing it yet are still apparently alive. For instance, if at age 17 you had made a suicide attempt that should have been extremely damaging even in the event of its failure, but then you woke up the next day in your bed completely unscathed. Especially if your bed was nowhere near your final location the night before. If you were sure you did the thing and didn't hallucinate, dream or memory error it up, since those don't ever involve real pain and as crystal clear a recollection. I bet it would be especially compelling if there was some concrete evidence that bed wasn't your final location, for instance if your car remained in the distant location you had left it in with no realistic path to you making it home and into bed without it. All that would for sure make you question your reality, I imagine.

I feel like I am tripping right now.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Agent Escalus posted:

I once worked with a guy who, on the third or fourth day of training, casually brought up that years prior he had clinically died and been resuscitated twice from misadventures (once was drowning, I think) - and it changed him, big time. Or should I say, the first time did it, the stuff he saw and experiences while he was gone. He wouldn't go into specifics because "a lot of it was personal and hard to describe"* but talking to him about it wasn't like talking to a believer; it was like talking to someone who knows something, who (pardon the pun) lived through a major event. This would be one thing - as would the fact that those who also worked there for years with him before it happened would easily and readily testify how everything about him changed after he returned to his daily life - but the real kicker, I think, is when it happened the second time. He said that it was pretty much the same thing as before. Kind of akin to when you visit a city you've never been to, and then go back years later, the fundamentals of the place that make it what it is are all still there.

Now, what are the odds of it being a vision, delusion, or otherwise internal brain fantasy, when it was more or less the same thing the second time around? You hear of those on their deathbeds seeing visions of light, you also hear dismissive types chalking that up to the brain's synapses misfiring before shutting down. I think if it were the brain misfiring, it would be random stuff both times, and certainly not a tangible experience he could recollect.

You should have seen this guy - nothing really got him down. There was a spring in his step, an inflection in his voice. He'd try to have friendly chats with everyone he met. There was nothing about him that was "questionable", you know? Like he wasn't mentally ill or foolish or whatever. Just like the rich don't fret about paying their bills, he didn't really worry about anything because he knew that in the end, it's all good (and not really a total "end"). Which brings me to the * part:

"Fair enough," I said when he declined to go into the personal details about what happened to him on the other side. "But it was good, right?"
"Oh yeah. It was very good. I think all of it was good. And the second time confirmed that it'll still be good when I go back."

How many testimonies of near-death experiences are there? How many people do you know personally who've gone through something like that? Let alone TWICE in a lifetime? Here's one thing you CAN be sure of:

I wouldn't have wasted my time typing all this out if I were making all that up. That's literally the story of someone I once met.

That's super cool and made me have nice thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There is clearly an afterlife im currently in it

Living in the time of COVID is a kind of afterlife..

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

The White Dragon posted:

mods permaban this deadposter

I thought we had discussed doing something different with dead posters other than permabans.

I think dead posters should be moved to their own subforum that we cannot participate in. And the dead posters continue to post. They just have ghost writers.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

There is a difference between a man being a abusive oval office period and a man being abusive oval office and claiming the moral high ground and the support of law.

Woah Elaborate please. Sounds like stuff I get all huffed up about.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Earwicker posted:

from a more traditional perspective i think if you accidentally got sent to dog heaven it would actually be a lot nicer than if you got sent to christian heaven

Oh put me down for dog heaven!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Are all atheists extremely moral and ethical people?

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

No. 6 posted:

That is a ridiculous question.

It would seem so. It is based on wondering if you prescribe to any existential philosophies though. I just wanted to see your reaction which tells me youve read little about it.

Me too!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

A lot of the ways you can go are indescribably awful and you should avoid those like the plague.

What is the worst way you can think of to go?

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Who What Now posted:

In your sleep and surrounded by loved ones

Wtf?! Lol

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

GreatGreen posted:

It’s hard to imagine an afterlife when death means losing your physicality. What kind of eternity could exist for any entity without a physical body, without sensory organs, without any biological needs to satisfy? Life is a cascade of innumerable parallel and interweaving streams of tension and relief, ebb and flow, desire and satiation, almost all of which are based either directly or indirectly on having a physical body with needs. What is left once we have no needs to fulfill?

Would an afterlife then be your consciousness injected into another simulated body, set in another simulated place and given an infinite series of goals to achieve or needs to satisfy, spanning from “I’m hungry/horny, time to eat/gently caress” to “I want to have fun, time to do” to “I want to feel meaning, time to achieve” etc.? Because in the context of eternity, those ideas seem quite human-centric and narrow in scope against the potentially infinitely broader spectrum of possible experience.

Maybe there’s more to it though. I’ve always been drawn to the mystery of the idea that the afterlife is totally unfathomable to humans because to properly understand it, you’d first need the additional, foundational layer of understanding of what it’s like to exist in a non-physical state without a body. However, this is basically impossible to even begin to imagine as a being with a physically evolved brain and body, bound to physicality, hunger, sensory perception, time, etc.

For example, imagine what it would be like to exist, consciously somehow, but not be physically located anywhere. It’s almost impossible in the same way it’s almost impossible to imagine having an extra set of eyes in the back of your head in addition to the set of eyes you have now and picturing what that new field of view would look like and how your brain would interpret it. Where would your brain place that new stereo stream of information relative to your current one? Farther to the left or right? Above or below? “Behind,” whatever that might mean in this context? If it’s hard enough to imagine simply that, now try to imagine existing non-physically altogether, and that there’s some entire afterlife that goes along with that on top of it. Can you? Because I can’t even begin to.

So, basically you are saying that you do not presume to speculate about the afterlife because the human mind isn’t capable of understanding it. Fair enough.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I've said since I was a young kid getting beaten by my dad (the Christian) that when I die, if God is real, I'm punching Him in His face for this hosed up poo poo. I assume He knows already and is cool with it.

I’ll be right in line behind you.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Ocean Book posted:

consciousness is a giant blob of spirit that little blobs separate from in order to experience material reality like a roller coaster ride and then at the end your spirit returns to the big blob. little bits are always breaking off to experience different perspectives and different realities.

Smoke salvia to experience this first hand it’s terrifying but worthwhile.

You should reach Baruch Spinoza.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Moon Atari posted:

I like that one because it solves the problem of not wanting to cease to exist entirely while also knowing that an eternity limited to my own consciousness would be unbearable. Plus it also provides motivation to act more kindly or moral towards all the other little blobs of consciousness, without relying on the threat of post-death judgement, reward or punishment. Instead the negative or positive consequence to you that results from your actions towards the other little blobs is your actions towards them: since their experience is ultimately your experience too.

You and Ocean Book are describing pantheism popularized by 17th century philosopher Baruch Spinoza who outlined these ideas in his book Ethics.

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 21, 2020

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

When I die I hope I go to flavortown

Well you do you. I'm going to pleasuretown. Its about 15 miles east of there though so I will visit you.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Who What Now posted:

Life make a lot more sense when you accept that there is no intrinsic meaning to anything.

Especially this post!

(i'm sorry. It was right there, though.) :)

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
What if i never cease to exist because time is an infinite cycle on multiple dimensions instead of something linear? What if there are infinite me's across multiple dimensions and everything that could happen, is happening, has happened, and will happen is all happening right now and for eternity? + reincarnation.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
If Musk has anything to do with my death just shoot me now.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

You are dating yourself PSP. :)

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Motherfucker posted:

DISSOLVE ME IN THE SEA OF BLOOD THAT FLOWS BENEATH THE ROOTS OF THE EARTH

That might be a lot to ask of your loved ones in your last will and testament.

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 22, 2020

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

kntfkr posted:

I wanna smoke DMT to find out what happens when we die. I think that whatever the trip is it plugs you in to the plane where our souls go!

Dude, I was just thinking about this. I want to do DMT as well, but I would be v particular about the who/what/where of it all.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Solvent posted:

I am God in the body of a man, the way the worst people imaginable are, the way Jesus is advertised as being, just as you are god God in the body of whatever.

I want more of your thoughts.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Solvent posted:

Please put money in the collection plate first.
This meat gotta eat!

e: lol gently caress it. We're getting into more serious and effortful stuff. I think that took me an hour to write. We can discuss things for free or I can GURU at anybody in exchange for a donation to Plinkey's goon fund. Homegrown charity on Something Awful really gives me a tickle. For the cost of a donation of any amount to the Goon food fun, I will happily answer any questions you might have. I have zero qualifications and am completely untrustworthy. I'll happily invest all the free time I have into answering questions in earnest, even if the questions are not in earnest so long as you give Plinkey a buck or two. I'm better at tarot than guys on the beach, and I don't get any of your money so I'm not invested in what you want to hear. I do not receive any money from this fund and am in no way affiliated with it outside of being a goon that wishes he had money to give.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318

I just thought we could talk but now you're making it complicated bro! :)

Nice effort post. For real though.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

kntfkr posted:

OK - let's smoke DMT at the off-season seaside ghost town of lavalette, New Jersey this coming weekend. You get the DMT. I'll get the firewood and skateboards.

Yes to everything but NJ. Not New jersey. Never NJ.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Ocean Book posted:

no one else can give you spiritual truths, it’s like reading a book about a concert. You have to go live it. the only thing I can offer you is you have to be open to discovery and also ok with finding nothing and ok with being wrong and ok with looking stupid and ok with feeling stupid. if you question everything with thoughts of confirmation bias or magical thinking you won’t find anything.

Do yoga, take drugs, pray, get your heart broken, swear your service to a goddess, shuffle a tarot deck and ask for guidance, channel a spirit while you masturbate, meditate while touching a tree, go to church and take everything in with sincerity, ,ask an earth spirit to bring stability to your friend, gently caress your partner like you mean it, channel healing light into your chakras, stand out in the rain and really feel it, lay your weakness out before god and beg for help.

just please don’t read a nice string of words and feel like that’s spiritual growth. the world is scripture and you read it with your life, don’t miss your chance to do so.

e - words aren’t worthless, by all means go on witchcraft tumblr to get ideas for spiritual exploration, just make sure to do the exploration yourself and don’t just read the results someone else got.

Nice post. For the record, I don't think anyone here is asking for spiritual truths to be given to them though. We are just sharing ideas here -sometimes seriously, sometimes to be funny, and sometimes incoherently--if you feel like getting off your pedestal and joining us.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
You know what I love? When people do something lovely and stupid to someone else and then act surprised when it has lovely repercussions. LOL.

Constantly being called by other posters' names and using that as excuse to come after a poster who has no loving idea what you are talking about is ridiculous.

Star Me Kitten fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 22, 2020

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

YeahTubaMike posted:

I sincerely hope there's no such thing as reincarnation. I don't want to be reborn into some hosed up overbearing weird family that makes me feel guilty for masturbating or something.

As far as other types of afterlives go, I want to be cremated & scattered somewhere, because I have this worry that if I get embalmed & buried in a coffin, I won't be able to decompose properly and my body will be "stuck" forever.

The only reason I've never tried a drug harder than marijuana is because I want the circumstances to be more perfect than is probably possible. After freaking out on weed, I got extra careful -- TOO careful, maybe.

I like the idea that you reincarnate until you learn all the things you come here to learn and then you are done- return to the infinite whatever.

I am completely and thoroughly repelled by the idea of being embalmed. Just throw my body into the ground and cover me up with dirt. I'm good with it. If I get a bougie option, cremate me, and infuse my ashes with the rootball of a tree and plant me somewhere.

As for the DMT/harder drug issue -- it is your mind your tampering with-- you are smart to be cautious.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's a desert of black sand and at the end there's everything you expected afterlife to be, personalized just for you. If you think you go to hell, you do :)

drat, I am going to have one sexy afterlife.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
It'd be cool if hell existed and the rest of us good expired folk that are no longer bound by space and time could just watch what goes on down there like it was a primetime television drama. I'm just saying it'd be a cool way to pass the time on a Thursday evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Literally A Person posted:

Then they give you a condo and put you to work in the souvenir shops.

Condos. That is ~so~ hell.