Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol that owns especially the cap getting launched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Valt posted:

Other buddy: "I had no idea an ironhead could even rev that high!"

Not for long anyway

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That's hilarious and terrifying. Hilarifying.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Sigh I swear this poo poo never ends and its almost always self imposed. So in my rush to get everything painted and assembled apparently a paper towel got dropped into the oil tank. I looked at it and blew it out with air but somehow missed it. I rode the bike for like a week without any real problems. But I was riding down the highway the other day and when I exited I noticed the bike acted like it was down on power. So I started down shifting and when I clutched in for first the bike died. So I dumped the clutch thinking that this was a stupid carb issue. But when I dumped the clutch it locked the back tire up. After I got it off the road and into a parking lot I tried to kick it and no dice. Completely seized.

I finally got around to getting the top end off (which is a pain when you can't rotate the motor). What I found was sort of what I expected. The top end was totally fine (thankfully) but #2 rod is seized on the crank. So yay I get to split the cases yet again. Thankfully I have another crank and rod assembly that I can swap in. While I'm doing this I'm going to remove the alternator rotor since I'm not running a charging system so there is no reason to have it on there. I ordered all the gaskets so it should go back together this week. Then finally I can get back to working on my loving truck and just ride the honda.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So since I have to change the stupid crank I decided to go ahead and remove the charging and electric start gear. Cycle X makes a block off plate for this but while its a nice piece I think it looks a bit weird. But I talked to Ken to make sure that I could remove it and mess with the balance of the rotating assembly. What he told me is that drag racers would just cut the end of the crank off and weld the oil hole shut. But his block off plate has a sleeve that covers that oil hole. He also said you can just weld the hole shut and that is fine. So thats what I ended up doing, the reason this has to be done is that if nothing is there you would lose a lot of oil pressure. Since the starter gear normally rides here and it has a bushing much like the main and rod bearings. Taking this stuff off probably shaves 5 pounds off the end of the crank so I expect to much more rev happy now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh poo poo you're doing the cycle-x crank mod.
careful with the throttle. I threw a tappet screw revving to somewhere just south of 11k accidentally after doing this. I was shooting for a 13 second quarter mile and I dumped the clutch too hard going into 3rd. It kicked right back out of gear and revved to the moon.

Also I highly recommend new crank bearings , properly fitted. That means Plastigauge, not just put all blacks and hope for the best or check the case stamps and use calipers on the crank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

put all blacks and hope for the best or check the case stamps and use calipers on the crank.

Lmao do people actually do this? Fucken sickos

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Lmao do people actually do this? Fucken sickos

I worked at a repair shop where people didn't even know that crank bearings came in different sizes. But yeah the all blacks and "hope for the best" thing is unfortunately common.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh poo poo you're doing the cycle-x crank mod.
careful with the throttle. I threw a tappet screw revving to somewhere just south of 11k accidentally after doing this. I was shooting for a 13 second quarter mile and I dumped the clutch too hard going into 3rd. It kicked right back out of gear and revved to the moon.

Also I highly recommend new crank bearings , properly fitted. That means Plastigauge, not just put all blacks and hope for the best or check the case stamps and use calipers on the crank.

I checked bearing clearances with plastigauge and verified it was within spec.

Out of curiosity does the motor rev easier without all that stuff on the end of the crank?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

I checked bearing clearances with plastigauge and verified it was within spec.

Out of curiosity does the motor rev easier without all that stuff on the end of the crank?

I would say it's a bit snappier, yes. It revs up quicker but also RPMs drop off faster too.
Low RPMs were a bit of a slog for me to get through still though because I was running CR 29's. They're too big for that motor and there's no accelerator pump to help get them going, so if you try to grab a handfull of throttle too quickly, you'll stall out.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would say it's a bit snappier, yes. It revs up quicker but also RPMs drop off faster too.
Low RPMs were a bit of a slog for me to get through still though because I was running CR 29's. They're too big for that motor and there's no accelerator pump to help get them going, so if you try to grab a handfull of throttle too quickly, you'll stall out.

Well that is one thing that won’t be a problem on my bike with the webers. I still need to put a actual cam in the thing. But cams are like 350 for these silly things now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Well that is one thing that won’t be a problem on my bike with the webers. I still need to put a actual cam in the thing. But cams are like 350 for these silly things now.

I know. I got the email about the CX-1 cams last week and that hurt a little. It's making me reconsider re-working the F2 top end in lieu of just getting the K7 and K2 motors rebuilt.
I should call and see what a regrind costs because I have some extra cams

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know. I got the email about the CX-1 cams last week and that hurt a little. It's making me reconsider re-working the F2 top end in lieu of just getting the K7 and K2 motors rebuilt.
I should call and see what a regrind costs because I have some extra cams

The regrinds are more expensive then if they have blanks. I think thats why the prices went up at cycle x. I talked to webcam a while back when I wanted to do this and they told me they were not sure when they were going to get cam blanks again.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Alright finally got the thing back together and running. It is DEFINITELY more snappy, the motor is much more responsive especially in the lower gears. I rode it around a bunch yesterday and it all seemed good until my rear tire decided it was going to be flat like a block from my house. I was at a coffee shop and someone happened to have a little portable air compressor and I was able to put air back in it. Now it seems to be holding air just fine?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well the excitement never ends. I went to start it the other day after cleaning the carbs because it was only running on one bank for some reason. Bike started and ran without issue, I shut it off to close the garage door. When I came back out I kicked it one time and it bucked back a bit, then the kicker wouldn't engage anymore. I had my suspicion that something broke in the kicker assembly. Which is 100% a case splitting adventure. So once again out with the motor and cases split. What I found was that the kicker assembly was worn and it caused the pawl to slip under the spring clip. Thankfully I had already pulled out another kicker assembly out of another motor.

While it was apart I wanted to clean some stuff up to get it ready for the Handbuilt show next month. The oil lines have been kind of a pain but I realized that I could get weld on barb fittings. So I cut the honda ones down and welded on US sized fittings. I also built some nice cloth spark plug wires with new boots and everything. I'm replacing the footpeg rubbers and the grips since the footpegs were just cut down and had a bare end on them and the grips were all torn up.

I also went ahead and ordered a SX-1 camshaft from cycle x as thats what Ken recommended.

"SX-1 Camshaft
We are proud to reintroduce the SX-1 to our variety of camshafts.
This camshaft has been known to run low 12 second 1/4 mile times and a winner on short or medium road race tracks.
With its "not to big not to small" numbers it is right at home on the street or touring applications.
One of the best ... Well rounded camshafts in our inventory.
Intake .358" / 248 duration.
Exhaust 350" / 258 duration.
Overall lobe center is 107.5
Note:
Best performance for most applications ... Set to 105.5 intake lobe center."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
haha that thing is gonna feel like a rocketship with that cam.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

haha that thing is gonna feel like a rocketship with that cam.

Since I took the stator off the end of the crank it already feels insane. Ken has repeatedly told me that a stock cam with the 836 kit is basically a waste of time which I agree with. I want to see if I can get it to smoke the rear tire with the new cam lol. I don't think its possible for the thing to pull the front wheel up since its so long.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well the bike is going to be in the hand built show this month. If anyone wants to come check it out and is in the Austin area I recommend it. I’ve been going to it since they started doing it and it’s always a good time.

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/handbuilt-motorcycle-show

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I've been fighting with the bike the past couple of nights. It seemingly didn't want to start at all which is odd for it since its pretty well dialed in at this point and generally starts within a kick or two. I pulled the accelerator pump jets and cleaned them, pulled the valve cover and verified cam timing. Then I realized that I had the mag on 180 which I had forgotten was even possible to do. After changing that the bike literally started on the second kick. It seems even more snappy with the big cam in it. It also seems like it needs some idle adjustment since it didn't want to idle really. But hopefully I can finish with the little stuff tomorrow and take it for a ride.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well got everything on the bike today and adjusted the idle so it would actually idle now. I'm very surprised that the bike sounds like a race bike now lol. It has a real nasty idle it sounds like a big drag bike now. Speaking of that I rolled into it really hard in first and it immediately smoked the back tire! I will get a video of it idling here soon, it sounds super good.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Valt posted:

I will get a video of it idling here soon, it sounds super good.

Please do. I’ve been idly (lol) following this thread and your bike is sick.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I just took a very short video of it idling but you can definitely hear the difference.

Here it is with the stock cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOY9TNgkn50

Here it is with the big cycle x cam. I need to take a longer video of it after I've run it a bit as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teSrDNhv64

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Valt posted:

Well the bike is going to be in the hand built show this month. If anyone wants to come check it out and is in the Austin area I recommend it. I’ve been going to it since they started doing it and it’s always a good time.

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/handbuilt-motorcycle-show

Nice there are some really cool bikes at that show, yours included.

I have no idea how you have the fortitude to keep splitting that engine but hats off to you

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sounds great. I’m looking forward to a longer video.

Just went back to remind myself how this thread started (“It’s not the kind of thing CA cares about”). Great work Valt. I’m glad you’re getting appreciation in a show.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I got the bike loaded up and dropped off and every part of getting the bike in and out of the truck was EXTREMELY sketchy. They just had us stage the bikes so that they could put them where they wanted them in the show. There is a party tonight for the builders so I'm going to pick up my friend from the airport and head over there tonight!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Lmao this is a great pic. Congrats man, this is such a cool project and it’s been a delight following along in the thread.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think the guy from Classic Octane on youtube was at that handbuilt show

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

mewse posted:

I think the guy from Classic Octane on youtube was at that handbuilt show

Oh yeah did he have a bike in the show or was he just there?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright here we go picture dump! It seems like my bike was pretty well received. I made it a point to talk to all of the other 750 builders and actually rode around a little bit with one of them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Valt posted:

Oh yeah did he have a bike in the show or was he just there?

I think he entered a bike - your photo of the black honda with flat seat looks like his work. He's just restarting his channel after (my impression) working a normie day job for a year or two

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

mewse posted:

I think he entered a bike - your photo of the black honda with flat seat looks like his work. He's just restarting his channel after (my impression) working a normie day job for a year or two

If you are referring to the black 750 that was not him. I met that guy and he is definitely not the dude from that YouTube channel.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'd really like to go to that show one day. I like the stuff that Revival puts out. Was Max Hazan there this year?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Unsure if he was but maybe? Well handbuilt didn’t post any pictures of my bike on social media but apparently jalopknick liked it!

https://jalopnik.com/coolest-bikes-2023-handbuilt-motorcycle-show-austin-1850352062/slides/2

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:lfgoo:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
They finally posted the pictures they took online.

https://revivalcycles.com/blogs/the-handbuilt-show-blog/2023-builders-bikes

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/8562/files/Handbuilt_Motorcycle_Show_2023_bldr_bike_00024.jpg?v=487161583834974391

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
drat that's a great pic of your bike. What are your plans for it now?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I'm probably going to keep chasing down little things. I would like to have my front end and the head lights re-chromed sometime soon. I actually just had someone at work use the CNC lathe to cut out the front spacers I made in fusion the other day.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I have finally decided to fix the head on the Honda. I had Ken at cycle x build me a ported and rebuilt head. So tomorrow I’m throwing it on, ported intake and exhaust ports, larger intake valves. It’s got new valve springs and guides as well. Hopefully this solves the small amount smoke I get from the left bank of cylinders which I think is coming from the valve guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Here are some pictures of the ported head. I actually went out there to do the head swap today and after getting the old head off. I realized that the new head doesn't have the oil jets in it. None of the heads that I have, have oil jets that fit it either. So now I have to call Ken tomorrow to find out what year this head is so I can either find the correct ones from my stash or probably just order some. because they have a tendency to get stuck in their bores and they are a nightmare to get out.