Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have long wondered why avatars and themes were sale products instead of promotional items for upcoming games but this is yet again different than either of them. I guess I’ll take it though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah ac looks like the same thing theyve been making for a while

I havent played one since 2 and I heard the cookie cutter template had been changed up a little for the last few but it just looks bland as gently caress.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ah, the Destiny approach. I approve.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah Assassin's Creed basically became 3rd person Skyrim with Origins. A lot of people really like that kind of thing but I find it to be a turn-off. Ghost of Tsushima, on the other hand, is the best new AC game since 2!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

I havent played one since 2 and I heard the cookie cutter template had been changed up a little for the last few but it just looks bland as gently caress.

its definitely different than the original design that got old around 2014 but this is the 3rd iteration of the new design and they are just coasting on ideas

^^^
yeah ghosts owns so loving hard the mp mode is like the best thing i've played recently
the loot system especially is perfect. so many broken perks and fun poo poo. hate playing a grindy mp game and the drops are boring % modifiers
here you get poo poo like super armor and mind control dust

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 20, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Are there any worthwhile writeups concerning exactly is the deal with the PS5's APU variable clock trick or is it just people paraphrasing the Cernycast still? I've never heard it explained entirely to my satisfaction.

In particular: they made such a big deal of saying that instead of varying the power, they vary the clock speed. But, I always thought that varying the power was how you varied the clock speed; I'm not really sure what the PS5 is doing that's unique.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not that i've seen. nobody has had hands on.
in summary tho the difference is supposed to be that while ps4 can call for a range of wattage through its psu up to its maximum, ps5 is always calling for a stable amount of wattage and just altering the frequency of the processors as needed.
i am not an expert and i dunno how they are accomplishing this but thats all anybody knows i guess unless they read a paper on smart shift technology or something like that idk.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fedule posted:

In particular: they made such a big deal of saying that instead of varying the power, they vary the clock speed. But, I always thought that varying the power was how you varied the clock speed; I'm not really sure what the PS5 is doing that's unique.

I think the big idea is that the CPU and GPU clock speeds are balanced against each other to fit within a set power target. So like if the GPU is underutilized but the CPU is saturated then the PS5 can downclock the GPU and burst the CPU, or vice versa. That way CPU and GPU can burst when necessary but the cooling design doesn't have to worry about the scenario where they're both running at max speed simultaneously.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fedule posted:

Are there any worthwhile writeups concerning exactly is the deal with the PS5's APU variable clock trick or is it just people paraphrasing the Cernycast still? I've never heard it explained entirely to my satisfaction.

Mostly parodying the cernycast, still. Presumably DigitalFoundry will have a lot to say about this once they have one they can play with.

The way I remember it, normal systems have a linear relationship between clock rate, power consumption, and heat- running the chip faster consumes more power and produces more heat, and you run the chip faster when it has a heavy workload so it finishes faster. The PS5 turns this around- the chip runs at top speed when at low utilization, but when its workload increases its clockrate decreases, so shouldering more load doesn't cause it to produce more heat but does cause it to run more slowly. It seems like a weird bet but devs are getting pretty good at dynamic workload management so there's probably a sweet spot they can target where heat, clock rate, and teraflops are all the best they can possibly be and still run the game as expected.

Microsoft, meanwhile, appears to have designed their console to run at the same clock rate all the time, with a cooling solution targeting the exact amount of heat that clock rate produces.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao at the clickbait sites going "PS5 hAs A COoLinG prObL3M?!" at the news that the fan can get firmware updates.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Next-Gen Cooling Wars

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fedule posted:

I'm just a layman, but as far as I know it's varying clock to maintain proper overall temp and a constant silent fan operation, but also allows ad hoc overclocking at an overall cheaper manufacture cost.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao at the clickbait sites going "PS5 hAs A COoLinG prObL3M?!" at the news that the fan can get firmware updates.

Sounds more like a cooling solution to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The problem is it’s too cool :cheers:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Can't any remotely recent hardware update the software/firmware that controls the fan?.. Hell, that's even one of the ways a malicious program can physically damage a Nintendo Switch. That's no different than calling out they can change how the system status light functions with future updates

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Fedule posted:

Same, I assume it's under NDA.

Fedule posted:

Clock speed alone doesn't fully explain energy consumption, the type of workload the CPU/GPU are executing also matters. Which makes sense if we consider the XSX always runs at full-clocks yet doesn't always draw the same power, same if you set your desktop CPU to a fixed clock, it will draw more power when under load then when sitting idle.

So if there's some CPU intensive stuff going on, presumably it downclocks the GPU in order to keep the CPU at 3.5 GHz (or maybe the CPU, or maybe both)?
It's the sort of thing that for a know-nothing like me would seem like a pain to develop for but so far there don't seem to be any complaints, especially when contrasted to the PS2 and 3 days.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have cancelled my AC pre-order because the previews make it sound like rear end that I’m not paying next gen launch price for.

My PS5 is gonna be a Miles Morales and Yakuza LAD box til after Christmas at this point.

I've enjoyed the AC series but they are never pre-orders or must haves for me. Have to wait until they're out and find out how good they are.

Or I just end up owning them anyway because people who buy me gifts know I like the series.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even outside of the requisite gently caress Ubisoft, they constantly have sales on their games and usually have one after like a couple of months. So just wait.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was reading somewhere that based on all past releases, the very next holiday they knock 10-15 off the price. In this case it's like a literal week later for black friday.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Storm One posted:

Same, I assume it's under NDA.

Clock speed alone doesn't fully explain energy consumption, the type of workload the CPU/GPU are executing also matters. Which makes sense if we consider the XSX always runs at full-clocks yet doesn't always draw the same power, same if you set your desktop CPU to a fixed clock, it will draw more power when under load then when sitting idle.

So if there's some CPU intensive stuff going on, presumably it downclocks the GPU in order to keep the CPU at 3.5 GHz (or maybe the CPU, or maybe both)?
It's the sort of thing that for a know-nothing like me would seem like a pain to develop for but so far there don't seem to be any complaints, especially when contrasted to the PS2 and 3 days.

it think thats the point of the smart shift or whatever they call it, like you leave those decisions up to the ps5 and it like figures it out for you somehow idk

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

power draw scales non-linearly with clockspeed, and variable silicon quality impacts how high a particular unit can go with it taking less voltage to hit, e.g. 2000mhz, compared to a lower quality unit. there's a power draw/performance sweet spot where power will start ramping disproportionately to performance gained, that's generally the gpu's stock clock with power draw limits added for stability

there's no concrete info on the ps5's variable rate, but it is more pc-centric where the driver tunes how fast the gpu can go based on a frequency/voltage curve and sensors for temperature. there's less resistance at lower temperatures, and conversely the hotter it runs the slower it becomes with a stable rate when the unit is fully heat soaked

this is where cooling helps and the LM solution would seem overkill if a higher average clockspeed with lower temps and a more stable noise desirable

the updatable fan sounds really mistranslated, and would be a weird micro-optimisation to be performed outside of certification. polling for ambient temps and avg fan curve per-game will show outliers but you need to account for environmental factors and it won't tell you about the fan"s noise profile

the weird one is xsx claiming they don't vary clockspeed as it's leaving power on the table vs their worst chip in the worst environment. i doubt that's right in reality and marketing jumped the gun - and they'll all downclock to save power anyway. the wattage readings show that's already a bizarre lie imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah how could xsx be at full power but onlu using 2/3rds of its wattage in a power meter test.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doesn't the XBox One's controller get firmware updates or something? I forget if the PS4 does too but we're well past the point of video game poo poo has firmware in it so LOL sites doing this even if they are just for clickbait.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah how could xsx be at full power but onlu using 2/3rds of its wattage in a power meter test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmUrHr9UvMo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol yours is better but it made me think of this, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBc7yQXrP9c

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So let me make sure I have this right (according to understanding of currently known information):

Ordinarily, in a PC situation, you have your chip idling at a low speed, using however much baseline power to remain on. Then when work comes in, you throw more power to do that work, and even more power to up the clock speed to get the work done faster, until either the work is done or everything gets too hot at which point you throttle (and meanwhile a cooling system is reacting to the temperature by making fans spin faster, hopefully preventing throttling). The presumptive kicker being that you can control clock-related power very finely but work-related power less so, making systems susceptible to being overdrawn during worst-case scenarios or torture tests.

The idea with the PS5 is to implement a notional power draw cap that cannot be exceeded, such that when the system is under heavy workload it will downclock itself proportionately in response, possibly (but apparently practically never) all the way back down to the base clock, in order to bring the combined clock+work power draw back inside the limit instead of going beyond it and hoping the cooling can keep up. The numbers for this work out favourably because you can get a fairly large power saving by downclocking a tiny bit.

If I'm understanding this right, the innovation is that, somewhat counterintuitively, rather than never having to get hot and either hard throttle (disasterous for games) or get loud (irritating to gamers), the PS5 is actually throttling a tiny bit all the time. Also, because of [insert AMD technobabble], they can independently control the power going to the CPU and the GPU on their SOC, downclock the CPU when it's not in heavy use, and allow the GPU to use more (and presumably the system can still fully downclock and use less power than the fixed limit when idle).

(I wonder if we'll hit any problems with a game that's both CPU and GPU-intensive, like, say, No Man's Sky?)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fedule posted:

(I wonder if we'll hit any problems with a game that's both CPU and GPU-intensive, like, say, No Man's Sky?)

I've wondered that as well, it must be a challenge to predict what your CPU or GPU budget is when it's dependent on how much power the other one is drawing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't the XBox One's controller get firmware updates or something? I forget if the PS4 does too but we're well past the point of video game poo poo has firmware in it so LOL sites doing this even if they are just for clickbait.

I can't speak for the Xbox controllers, but Nintendo Switch controllers absolutely do get firmware updates at the very least.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The truth is, nobody knows how computers work and it's likely we never will.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't speak for the Xbox controllers, but Nintendo Switch controllers absolutely do get firmware updates at the very least.

Xbox One controllers (the newer ones with Bluetooth anyway) definitely get firmware updates, I had to do one this morning to get it to connect to the iOS app

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thanks, Detective

Thetective

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What are computers? We just don't know.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i demand a 'where is he now' PS5/XSX update of gamekid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWZLOll4cY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm fine , thanks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm looking at his uploads. Recent uploads include:

Raid Shadow Legends Changed My Life
Hong Kong 97 (but it's on an Xbox One)
Why FURRIES are the most oppressed minority in gaming
BAD GAMES: Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) Review!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know how computers work: not very well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

new ps store is very...bright

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-look-at-the-new-playstation-store-website.309355/#lg=_xfUid-3-1603224420&slide=0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm looking at his uploads. Recent uploads include:

Raid Shadow Legends Changed My Life
Hong Kong 97 (but it's on an Xbox One)
Why FURRIES are the most oppressed minority in gaming
BAD GAMES: Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox) Review!

lmao, i thought he was a lost youtube relic but he's actually an imitation report of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
cant believe we lost web ps3 for this

also those loving australian prices. when our dumb gently caress of a PM said we should do a australian brexit, those prices popped into my head right away :negative:

good job im in the north tho and we're about to revolt and secede from "great britain" after todays shitshow. #kinginthenorth #lowerpsnprices