Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
My friend is obsessed with the Xbox Series backwards compatibility, but doesn't the PS5 do that also? I mean I can probably play my whole PS4 game library at launch. Does Xbox do that any better maybe with older gens like Xbox and Xbox360, which the PS5 does not with PS3 and PS2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Lumpy posted:

So thanks to all the good press in this here thread, I picked up an LG CX today. :woop:

I'm on the fence between that one and the Samsung QLED Series QE55Q95T (or 65, have not decided).

I agree that under ideal circumstances the CX is probably the better choice, with Dolby Vision, OLED for true blacks and 4xHDMI 2.1. However, my living room is pretty bright and there is sun directly on my screen during the day. I mostly play games during the evening night, but for casual daytime gameplay and TV I think in my situation the Samsung will be better with more brightness and no chance of the sun's UV light damaging the organic material in the OLED display. Sucks to lose out on Dolby Vision and some more HDMI 2.1 for more flexibility, though. I have not decided yet and will buy during Black Friday.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

between this and the X900H's issues with 4k 120hz it doesn't seem like it's been a good time for people on the bleeding edge of tv's

you sit on the bleeding edge and your butt gets cut

I think I might just go for the Samsung QLED QE65Q95T around Black Friday.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

My order got processed finally

At least I dodged the yodel bullet but gently caress you GAME, give me my £11.99 back

Did you get an additional controller for free or what kind of package deal is that? I was kinda counting on console + 2x controller for 560 or so.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

PowerBeard posted:

But his son is also a brat so him not having a PS5 kinda fills me with joy.

Ahh yes the Christmas spirit :)

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

It feels like only 10 people when I only know a single person IRL who has one, and the stores here don’t even mention them since the lottery stuff is all online.

If you are like me and have 500 goons in your PSN list, you will still see quite a few with a vertical console icon meaning they are using a PS5.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

ted dongle, the inventor of the dongle

why did I google that i am such a dumbass

Sioux
May 30, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I enjoyed the gently caress out of RDR2 but it’s not a game I would play through again. It’s very much take your time but one and done.

I kind of feel like the game has earned being a Plat in my account, but honestly I think I only have like 2 gold missions or so because I'm bad I always take my sweet time. I'm currently just playing RDR Online like I always played the campaign, just kind of moseying around and doing odds and ends and sometimes a race or a free roam event, just sometimes with a friend.

edit: king of offtopic page snipes, sorry all

Sioux
May 30, 2006

I'm your neighbor in the Netherlands and I haven't bothered with pre-ordering or waiting lists. Like with PS4 I'll just go to Mediamarkt or another store whenever I know they have some stock. But for PS4 this was like a month after release... for PS5... I hope I can get one within two months.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

bowmore posted:

that’s why you never buy at full price

But apparently many people are, or the publishers wouldn't be doing this to us.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Speaking of headsets, are there any alternatives that are more... compact? It seems like gaming headsets are all huge and honestly I don’t want to put on a massive headset at the end of a long work day. I’m guessing I’d be sacrificing sound quality to go for a smaller pair of headphones?

Sorry about the late reply, but I'm using the HyperX Cloud headset. It's pretty small (not bulky) and it feels really comfortable. It's Playstation certified which I don't really know what that does, but I just connect it to my controller and the PS4 immediately recognizes it and switches over, microphone and all. The mike can come off should you need to and you can replace the earpads. I bought felt pads for it on amazon, but I haven't tried them yet because the stock PU leather pads are really comfortable. Check which version you buy though. I have the blue "Playstation" one (Cloud gaming), but my friend bought a red Cloud II (no Playstation logo). He says they work just as good, but they lack a volume dial and mute switch on the cable. My Cloud I cable is nylon by the way, I'm not sure about the Cloud II.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

My PS5 media remote paired with my TV instantly and I think it was very definitely worth the money for that

Hey those do look nice. They aren't expensive either, I can get one here for 33 euros (less than 40 bucks US). Do they work with the apps on your TV too, or only on the PS5? How about PS4?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Replacements. They came with a vinyl sticker for the front and the controller but I can't be arsed to put those on

I like it. Where did you get those plates? Amazon?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Man at this rate it's beginning to look like a toss up what comes first. My vaccine or my PS5.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

infraboy posted:

Once you see perfect blacks on an OLED T.V. you can't really go back

People always say this, but isn't there something to be said about the really high brightness of a LED panel as well?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

FallenGod posted:

It's a great game.

Ride the trial until the end of Heavensward before buying it, though, as once you own the game your free trial ends and you have to pay the monthly fee.

Ugh yeah I found this out lately, when I was asking Squeenix to unlink my Squeenix account from my PSN. They said it wouldn't help and the only way to do it was play the game on another PSN account. I subscribed a few years ago and played about month, until losing interest at level 30 or so. Just let me delete that char/account and start a new one to see if this time I get into it.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Day of the Tentacle has a lot of sexual harassment jokes

GOTY!

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Yeah I might do that too. I bought my PS5 in april or so and am 100% loving it, especially since I am waiting on some exclusives but also because of the loading times and improvements on some of the PS4 games I was playing anyway. But my friend bought a Series X and I now have his Series S and GamePass is such a great service. I've been trying out games left and right, installing some sweet co-op games to play with my friend, Sea of Thieves is also awesome. It's great.
Still gonna stay with Sony for any dual-platform, non-GamePass games that come out, though.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

And another thing that loving sucks about the ps5 interface, I have to switch my library to alphabetical every. single. time.

Or trophies to "date earned" instead of "game default".

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

As a Digi PS5 owner I am mercifully priced out the super deluxe editions but yeah they got me for an extra $10 with that “bonus gesture” lmao

I was very impressed. No spoilers from me, but I was like “WHOA awesome NO WAY that’s so SICK!” literally the entire time.

As a Disk PS5 owner I am still going to get a digital BF2042 version, because I just can't be arsed with a disk for a game I will play almost every day for months and most likely reinstall a year or two after I stopped playing. Kind of wondering why I shelled out 10x :10bux: more for then still buying digital ugh.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

You guys are all bitching about PS+ but I'm having a blast with last month's Deep Rock Galactic and still with Hell Let Loose from months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

KingSlime posted:

I'm extremely happy that they can patch things now. I wouldn't be surprised if they do account for upcoming patches in the dev cycle now but that's what you should never buy a game at launch. Six months to a year down the line is usually a sweet spot for me.

From soft games are always day one for me tho!!!

I kind of agree, but then again how many games would be published if everyone stops buying them at launch? Not sure if this is a chicken and egg kind of thing though.