Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Apparently it was up to almost 800k players before the servers died earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Never played on mushies, but I swear I play better after a couple of joints. As long as I don't get too high. I think part of it is when you're inebriated the right amount, you don't overthink and just go for stuff that usually you might hesitate with, but still have the mechanical skill to play well.

The problem is that only lasts for a certain amount, then I smoke too many and just go completely to poo poo lol. But I play mainly 1v1 so it's still fun and I'm not loving things up for any teammates.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I found this video quite good for explaining why people are air rolling while they aerial. It sounds daft but it's a lot easier to turn left and right in the air accurately while spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiqp1t7eFs8

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm also poo poo at mechanics. Only just learning to fast aerial and half flip.

Made it to diamond just with decent positioning and being able to hit a hard accurate shot from anywhere on the pitch.

I do feel high diamond is where the lack of mechanics is starting to hold me back a wee bit though.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I can't remember exactly which menu it's in, but have a look for archived items. I was looking for a set of wheels a couple weeks ago that I knew I had, but they weren't showing in inventory or the car design but, turns out there's a button to archive items away into a separate catagory I must have hit at some point and not noticed.

No idea how that many items would end up there but might be worth a look anyway.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

TheDarkFlame posted:

I see a few F1 cars sometimes but not very often at all. There are a ton of different cars in the game but the "car meta" of Rocket League is kinda sad to be entirely honest. The playerbase has largely settled on what is cool and good and it turns out personal taste is heavily frowned upon, and the more you play and the more seriously players take the game, the more you see the exact same three cars.

If you like the F1 car and it feels good to you, keep using it, I just couldn't convince myself to throw that much money into the game for one car. I forget what its hitbox is but as long as you're hitting the ball when it feels like you're hitting the ball you should be fine.

I think the car meta being so narrow makes sense because of the hitboxes, and how the car models match up with them. The Octane hitbox is what people find most comfortable, so they end up just using the Octane, or the Fennec which also has the octane hitbox and matches it well. There are loads of cars now that have the hitbox and it's also close enough to the models, but they don't look as good as the main two.

I think every car should have had it's own hitbox that matches the model, but can see why as a competitive game they've just stuck to 6 hitboxes.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

camoseven posted:

I didn't realize the cars had different hitboxes! Is there a list somewhere?

There's this list

https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029832054-Rocket-League-Car-Hitboxes

I was looking for a graphical representation of them but I can't find a properly updated one that has all the cars that are in the game now.

edit: found a reddit thread that has them, and a bunch of very detailed info on the hitboxes

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/bklp2t/car_specifications_and_hitbox_visualizations_v162/

There's a couple of albums at the start of that post with a pic of every car and how it's hitbox lines up

https://imgur.com/a/eGffdhZ
https://imgur.com/a/LhOsm67

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 2, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm really liking this new mode, I don't usually enjoy them but this one is great!

Learn the grab if you want any chance of winning. If you can grab someone you usually have enough time to jump off the edge and point downwards, then throw them straight to their death with no chance of them recovering.

I do agree the matches can get boring if you get knocked out early though. I usually just leave if I'm one of the first half to die. It doesn't ruin it for anyone else like leaving a normal match and I'm not bothered about the points for rewards.

The only major problem if I have with it is sometimes you do get groups of friends teaming up to take out everyone else before they fight each other, which is just lame. I played a few matches with a mate of mine and we just played normally and it was still fun.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

TheDarkFlame posted:

When you're stunned mashing that recovers you quicker, it might not seem like much but it's particularly bad being stunned in the air, and if you really hammer the button you can get unstunned and flip just in time to save yourself from being thrown directly downwards. You've got more powerful boost and like half a dozen flips/jumps in the air to use freely, so you can recover from surprisingly bad situations until the outer wall is so close that a throw just immediately kills you.

And yeah flip to attack which sends people flying, backlip to block which sends attackers flying, and grab by flipping while holding brake (KBM players might want to change the binding for grab) and then flip again to throw them, which is a bit like the Gridiorn ball throw. It's actually not a bad little game mode, it's interesting but is kinda rough when you end up against a party who are working together.

To add to this the easiest way to kill people is to grab them, zoom to the nearest edge, jump off and point your car straight down, then front flip. It slams them right into the grid and kills them usually before they can break the stun. You have so many flips and jumps that you can recover from it no problem.

Another way to get easy kills is to keep an eye out for anyone who has been flung far out of the arena, and are recovering their way back. Make sure you have plenty of boost then jump out to them when they're almost back to land, and slam them into the grid or just yeet them far away again. They'll have already used most of their boost trying to get back the first time and most of the time you'll finish them off.

I hope they keep this mode to be honest. Get rid of ranked dropshot which has a super low population anyway, and add ranked Knockout where you can't join while partied up. Would be a great alternative to 1v1 if you're playing alone and don't want to play with randoms.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Good call actually, I forgot snow day even existed. It's probably got less players than dropshot and has also been around way longer. Maybe time to take ol snow day out behind the shed.

I am quite confident they'll do more with this mode than just the 2 week event though. Seems to have had a lot of work put into all these new mechanics to only use it for a couple weeks.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone still playing on Steam? I'm trying to play Knockout on a PS5 controller and I can't find the grab button.

Don't even see an option to set it through Steam.

It's left trigger by default. You jump, then hold it before you flip. I believe there's a bit somewhere in the options where you can set controls specifically for the limited mode that won't affect your normal bindings as well.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Unsinkabear posted:

Can someone please explain how to orient yourself aerially, or link to an accessible video that does?

Literally all controls become useless when I'm in the air because there is seemingly no logic or ability to control the way the car rolls in order to orient it the right way for boost/jump/dodge/pitch/etc to work the way you want. You can kind of seemingly slowly roll and yaw it at the same time but that simply isn't fast enough for any of the situations in this game.

Nobody else seems to have this problem and it is extremely frustrating, so any help would be very appreciated. I want to be able to actually enjoy Knockout instead of just suffering through it

Do you have 'air roll' bound? I don't think it's set as anything by default. When you're holding the air roll button, instead of the stick making your car turn left and right in the air, it will barrel roll in whichever direction you press. I have it set to left bumper personally but it's personal preference.

There are also binds for 'air roll left' and 'air roll right', and if you use either of these just pressing the button will make your car roll that way. You can get a bit of extra control using these as it lets you do pitch, yaw and roll all at the same time, but it's not necessary and takes a lot of practice for it to be worth it. If you search for "directional air roll" you'll find videos going into great detail about it.

this video is decent for a general overview of air roll in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_x2UQqQ2mY

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

No worries.

I don't really know of a reliable way to farm assists, unless you agreed to take turns scoring and stuff with the opposing team or something. I usually play enough that they just naturally occur over time, but I play a lot.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I really wish this game had a "don't match me with children" option. It's not enjoyable during the day because you can tell it's just a bunch of kids trying to touch the ball as much as possible, no semblance of teamwork. The difference between playing in the afternoon vs. late at night has always been very apparent to me. I thought this would get better as I ranked higher, but it doesn't.

Also, losing a ranked match when one of your teammates quits shouldn't count against your ranking. Why doesn't it bring in another player like it does for casual matches?

That's the nature of playing on your own in RL. Some team mates you think are playing like idiots but at the end of the day they're at the same rank as you for whatever reason. I think people just tend to remember the bad ones and not the times you instantly click with a random team mate and whoop rear end. Watch some replays of your games from your team mates point of view and I bet you'll notice you make a lot more mistakes than you think you did while playing. I know I do.

Honestly the best way I've found to play solo is to play pretty conservatively, don't commit when your team mate is in a bad position to recover, and try to control the speed of play by not banging the ball away to the other team.

I'm only at champion rank but team mates also do get better as you rank up. Champ is the first rank where I've found that everyone is a bit more consistent with mechanics and you can expect a bit less whiffing and more goals coming from mistakes in positioning. The few grand champ players I've played with outside of ranked are just on another level mechanics and consistency wise.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

this thread is sadly quite inactive for a such a popular game

post your fun clips everyone, like this sick 0 second winner

https://i.imgur.com/rUdEAhv.mp4

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

pik_d posted:

The Discord is much more popular, which I think is why this thread is so quiet. People should join it! https://discord.gg/BGfVqvyR

ah that makes sense. i don't really use discord much but i shall join it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i believe in you jbj, you can do it.

diamond is the worst, I spent over a year stuck in diamond 3, so long that the rltracker graph doesn't even go back far enough to see it all