Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

The most popular true crime podcast, with 35 million monthly downloads, literally has the catchphrase "Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered." The idea that the true crime genre listeners are somehow smarter and better able to avoid violence is baked into the genre.

i hate that fuckin podcast in my blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
genre: true crime / comedy :stare:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Casual Encountess posted:

long story short i showed up to a woman who had been repeatedly stabbed by her boyfriend from jealousy issues and i had to try to get as many parts of her closed as i could to stop the bleeding and i just couldnt. so i watched her die, trying frantically the entire time to stall long enough for the paramedic to arrive and get her more blood. but she died. there was literally nothing else i possibly couldve done. thats just it. thats the job. that woman, like many of my patients was having a totally normal day. until they werent.

:stare: ya I can see why you got out of it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The true crime convention sounds pretty gross

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hmm I wonder if there's some connection between our epidemic of violence against women and the fact that the audience for true crime is like 95% female. I'm sure it's nothing and advertisers love it because it makes the podcast ads easier to target

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

post hole digger posted:

i dont understand how you can into true crime stuff and NOT be a cop lover. theres something to all of that stuff that seems very reactionary to me. like you said, it necessarily traffics in trauma and fear, and i dont know how you can consume all of that stuff without arriving at the opinion 'we need more cops to protect me' or 'i am buying several firearms'

idk one of my friends is semi into that poo poo (she recognizes there's really tasteless and even harmful people involved in the true crime poo poo) and she seems to be morbidly fascinated in part because she spent over a decade trapped in an extremely abusive relationship with someone who was likely going to eventually kill her, and she's definitely not pro-cop by any means.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like those videos of police interrogations on youtube. Really hits home that if you ever find yourself in a small room being read you rights, you really just need to ask for a lawyer and then shut up.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
edit: lol nope

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 1, 2022

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

edit: yeah not the place for that poo poo lol

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 1, 2022

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my only opinion is “lol flautist”

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it’s a funny word

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

do kids still do the skin flute joke to the school flautists

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
tonight is the T*xas gubernatorial debate for people who hate themselves and might want to watch it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would quite literally prefer to jump into a volcano

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

I like those videos of police interrogations on youtube. Really hits home that if you ever find yourself in a small room being read you rights, you really just need to ask for a lawyer and then shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo5RYOp4nQ

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm always pretty amused by just how awful cops are in most true crime dramas. just doing dogshit bad police work, if they even do any at all, and only solving the case after the criminal essentially just walks up to them and confesses or someone else hands them so much evidence that they can't ignore it. usually there's a side thread of them agressively hassling some suspect they lazily latched onto despite clearly not committing the crime and only begrudgingly letting them go when their pathetic attempts to frame them keep failing. the cold case files are the best because they clearly immediately gave up whenever the case happened because they couldn't be bothered to collect any evidence, and then the case "broke" when someone contacted them and said "this dude confessed to a murder from ten years ago to me, figured you might want to know." then the pigs jack themselves off and pretend they're sherlock holmes for figuring it out

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stereotype posted:

i'm always pretty amused by just how awful cops are in most true crime dramas. just doing dogshit bad police work, if they even do any at all, and only solving the case after the criminal essentially just walks up to them and confesses or someone else hands them so much evidence that they can't ignore it. usually there's a side thread of them agressively hassling some suspect they lazily latched onto despite clearly not committing the crime and only begrudgingly letting them go when their pathetic attempts to frame them keep failing. the cold case files are the best because they clearly immediately gave up whenever the case happened because they couldn't be bothered to collect any evidence, and then the case "broke" when someone contacted them and said "this dude confessed to a murder from ten years ago to me, figured you might want to know." then the pigs jack themselves off and pretend they're sherlock holmes for figuring it out

this isn't just in true crime dramas. this is every day real life.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

this isn't just in true crime dramas. this is every day real life.

the police cannot solve or prevent crimes and never have been capable of either task in all of history. they are a paramilitary gang whose role is to enforce a rigid socioeconomic order and private property rights of an oligarchic ruling class. it seems pointless to call them about things that effect your life because it is. you will be lucky if they don't make everything worse. also the pigs leech almost all of most municipal budgets, they're a cancer of society.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the only person who can prevent a crime is another good guy with a gun

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Casual Encountess posted:

i am a little frustrated with the proliferation of interest in true crime. a lot of folks I know who are balls deep in it absolutely use it as a trauma tourism tool and i dont understand how people can be pro cop with the bulk of most of these podcasts being "the police received information, but deemed it not important to act on" and how generally ineffective the police are at their loving jobs. over and over and over again. idk i spent 3 years as an EMT and i had ptsd over it i am full up on trauma in those ways and i think its really fuckin uncomfy that other people love to go to the Bad Place for fuckin shits and giggles.

most true crime is garbage but it always has been around and also has always been pretty bad on the whole

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

qirex posted:

hmm I wonder if there's some connection between our epidemic of violence against women and the fact that the audience for true crime is like 95% female. I'm sure it's nothing and advertisers love it because it makes the podcast ads easier to target

it's not really new, people where going "oh did you hear about this scary murder, by the way our sponsor is selling anti scary murder devices" back in newspapers in the victorian era and well before

i like the last podcast on the left because they hate cops mostly and their ads are for stuff like coffee and weed not alarmist garbage

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
the one yeardley smith does definitely sells car window bustin multi tools but i can’t resist a show hosted by lisa simpson that takes place in my awful birthplace

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh also here’s the actual video of lizzo playing the flute.

https://twitter.com/imposter_edits/status/1575549255393349632?s=46&t=MN3rCD_AGyQdKivjNUhrnw

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

oof. i'm sure she's great at the flute or whatever but how do I apply for a hall pass on having to pretend this is not viscerally offputting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

listen to the actual performance at the loc?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

RokosCockatrice posted:

oof. i'm sure she's great at the flute or whatever but how do I apply for a hall pass on having to pretend this is not viscerally offputting

what

it sounds fine, i'd not want to do much more on something like that either

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RokosCockatrice posted:

How do you mean?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

i'm not talking about her ability to play flute I'm talking about the imminent threat to all nearby folding chairs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you’re supposed to shame the file system my dude

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

her rear end must be an cint cause it's so big it's clearly overflowing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

RokosCockatrice posted:

why would you post this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

raminasi posted:

why would you post this

he’s obviously only working with Int8’s up there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

be better

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

RokosCockatrice posted:

uh. did you actually watch?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

uh. did you actually watch?

roko's point is "eww, fat people". thats it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm just geniunely shocked, i was vaguely aware of lizzo before but seeing her in a swimsuit or whatever is a different story. I'd point out that she's got chins that go beyond her collarbone but it looks like it's chins all the way down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

he’s obviously only working with Int8’s up there

the low nibble

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

RokosCockatrice posted:

I'm just geniunely shocked, i was vaguely aware of lizzo before but seeing her in a swimsuit or whatever is a different story. I'd point out that she's got chins that go beyond her collarbone but it looks like it's chins all the way down.

i had no idea that you wanted to gently caress her so badly that you were applying your personal beauty standards to her in the first place

just wild coincidence, pardon us for asking

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

RokosCockatrice posted:

you've got a lot of stupid opinions, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

you've got a lot of stupid opinions, dude

if that lady ain't fat then ok I'm stupid, but on the off chance she's got more rolls than a cinnabon then I've got some bad news for you man