Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i would simply put the 1870s farmhouse on the 43rd story of the building in Shenzhen. gotta have the best of both worlds

i bet you could fit one of those on the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like these in zhuzhou

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i bet you could fit one of those on the roof

absolutely

wrap around porch for maximum views too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
houses on top of houses? now ive seen everything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the converted condo buildings in soma has four cute little penthouses [like 800 square feet or so] on top

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

like these in zhuzhou

this fuckin whips lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

this fuckin whips lol

you ever heard of "nail houses" ?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

this fuckin whips lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is probably the most well known pic and it owns

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watch out rolex owners, perfidious french canadian magicians are coming for your veblen goods

quote:

Laurent Mattel recalls his legs turning to jelly when he peered inside an envelope meant to be holding $15,000 and saw a bundle of flyer clippings instead.

Hours earlier, he had sold his Rolex Datejust 41 to a man at his home in Blainville, Que., a suburb north of Montreal.

The man known as Marius, at least according to the Facebook profile which would be deactivated shortly after the transaction, had responded to Mattel's ad for the luxury watch on Facebook Marketplace.

"He told me he wanted to buy my watch to treat his wife. I didn't suspect a thing," Mattel said in an interview with Radio-Canada's La Facture about his experience back in November.

Once in the kitchen, Mattel recalls Marius placing a black pouch on the counter and pulling out a silver envelope with a rubber band around it. He remembers Marius removing the rubber band and handing him the envelope.

"He lets me take out the money and he takes back the envelope. I count out $15,000 in $100 bills. I even make little bundles of $1,000 on the counter," Mattel said.

"Then [Marius] picks up the money and puts it back in the envelope. He puts the rubber band back around the envelope and hands it to me."

With a $100 bill still visible through the clear window of the envelope, Mattel says he handed the man his Rolex and, after exchanging a few pleasantries, Marius left.

A little while later, Mattel decided to open the envelope again. This time, he realized, it'd been stuffed with a bunch of coupons.

"I came undone. I really felt the heat, thinking to myself, 'I've been had,'" he said.

Mattel had just become the latest victim of a criminal magician or magicians who allegedly committed other similar thefts in the greater Montreal area, Radio-Canada's investigation has found.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

like these in zhuzhou

what goes on in those houses. are they single family homes or something else

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

what goes on in those houses. are they single family homes or something else

apparently they were model homes for the real estate developer that built the shopping mall, the idea was pitching similar homes on top of other buildings they were gonna build. idk what ended up happening but its sad that there arent real ppl living in them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

you ever heard of "nail houses" ?

yeah they're amazing. lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
rip joe lieberman you sucked poo poo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bump_fn posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bump_fn posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

watch out rolex owners, perfidious french canadian magicians are coming for your veblen goods

lmao that last sentence

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i hope joe lieberman in fact does not rest in piece, i hope he is constantly disturbed and his remains are desecrated

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he was a public servant

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

writing a character drama where a retired magician gets elected senator and uses slight of hand to get universal healthcare passed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

he was a public servant

no he wasnt. dmv workers are more deserving of the title

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/StateBarCA/status/1773140324027617756

well that only took three years

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson posted:

he was a pubic servant

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The basement ceiling in my house is 5'9" high so I guess that's a reason that it might suck

yeah, having to get a stepladder to change the bulb sucks.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:barf:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bird flu discovered in U.S. dairy cows is ‘disturbing’
Scientist who tracks infections on cattle farms discusses implications of recently announced virus detections

quote:

The bird flu virus that has wreaked havoc around the world appears to have surfaced in U.S. dairy cows, the first time this viral subtype has been documented in any cattle. Three U.S. states—Texas, Kansas, and New Mexico—on 25 March reported cows sickened with what scientists are presuming is the same H5N1 strain of influenza that has killed hundreds of millions of poultry and wild birds.

The cattle infections are spoiling milk and causing limited disease in mostly older animals. Dead birds have also been found on some of the farms, which may explain the source of the virus. Public health officials have stressed that the risk to humans from the virus remains low.

The so-called highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus spreading in birds has already been documented to infect dozens of other mammalian species, but rarely spreads between them. Earlier this month, HPAI was found in a goat in Minnesota, the first case in U.S. livestock.

Gregory Gray, an epidemiologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch, calls the new detections in cows across multiple states a “worrisome” development because it may signal this bird flu strain is spreading directly between cattle, instead of via birds, and has mutated in ways that could allow it to better infect people. But preliminary studies on the affected cows show no signs that the virus has changed, the National Veterinary Services Laboratories said in a statement yesterday.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is not requiring farmers to cull affected herds, as it does when the virus attacks poultry farms. USDA officials stress that pasteurization kills the virus in any milk produced by an infected cow.

Several other of the four influenza virus types are known to infect cattle, but this is the first HPAI to sicken them. Only Texas has officially confirmed that the bird flu found in its cows is the H5N1 subtype, and none of the three states have yet reported whether it is the clade causing widespread death in birds, 2.3.4.4b. USDA said in a statement to Science that “testing from Texas shows consistency with the strain seen in wild birds,” and that federal and state scientists are rapidly trying to complete genetic testing.

Gray, who has an ongoing study to track infections that spread between cattle and their farmers, spoke with Science about the discovery of the bird flu in cattle. The interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.

Q: How serious of a threat does HPAI in cattle present?

A: It’s worrisome. We most recently saw the infections in goats, and we’ve all seen the wildlife being affected with the hotter pathogenic avian flu, including the strange infection of carnivores—bears and wolves. Who knows what’s next? It’s disturbing. We need to figure this thing out, because if the virus continues to change, it could move into other species, including humans. It may be in humans already. We just have to keep a pulse on it. And if we don’t work together with agriculture, we won’t know very well what’s circulating.

Q: Did the discovery surprise you?

A: In some ways. These influenza viruses are changing all the time, and there’s pretty good evidence that all four types have been infecting cattle for a number of years. In fact, there’s a very nice report published in 2019. But in that same report, the authors said that maybe there’s something about the cattle that makes them sort of immune to serious disease and transmission? Well, something has changed, because there’s a multiple state epizootic with animals becoming ill, and the likelihood that the transmission is from cow to cow and farm to farm is much higher than before.

quote:

Q: But to be clear, do we know this is transmitting from cow to cow?

A: We don’t know. I don’t think anybody’s done those experiments. I would think that would be one of the things that people would want to investigate rather quickly.

Q: How does a cow get infected by a bird?

A: That’s a great question. There’s mixing of habitat certainly. There’s a sharing of water. We found equine influenza in camels in Mongolia, and it was probably the sharing of a water hole in in the desert. So there are probably multiple ways that the wild birds can mix with cattle.

Q: What is the virus doing to the cows? Is it a respiratory disease?

A: There was talk that some of the dairy cattle were suffering gastrointestinal illnesses. Has this virus changed in some way that it’s finding new receptors in cattle?

Q: What have you learned from your study that is looking for infections in farmers and their cattle?

A: We’ve been funded now for about 8 months. Initially, we thought we would be able to work with many farms in Texas, because they’re concerned about keeping their animals free from disease. But there’s been a real resistance to collaborating with us. There’s concern that we might find something that would damage their business. Well, now they have something that’s damaging to their business. And we’re standing by ready to assist in a way that would help us identify the transmission pathway. Is a viable virus aerosolized? Is it coming out in the feces? Or is it simply a respiratory pathogen that is moving through direct contact from cattle to cattle? I would think that there’s some indication with this rapid multistate spread that this thing is airborne.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 28, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

fart simpson posted:

like these in zhuzhou

isnt bill ackman involved in a court case against his neighbors who want to keep him from doing this to a new york building (but worse, of course)?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mediaphage posted:

Bird flu discovered in U.S. dairy cows is ‘disturbing’
Scientist who tracks infections on cattle farms discusses implications of recently announced virus detections

can't wait for this to make the leap to humans thanks to some raw milk whackos

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jabor posted:

that would be the most amusing way for the next pandemic for sure but what it probably just means is that farm workers will be the first to succumb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/organizermemes/status/1773159061917208815

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jabor posted:

had an acquaintance of mine nearly kill their second child by giving them unpasteurized milk. kid was in the hospital for months. mom was a pre-goop "toxins!!!" person but dad at one point said if you have a sip of wine while currently preggo it's on you if the kid has fetal alcohol syndrome

typing all that out now it's a goddamn miracle they are still together and have thriving children and good for them i guess but good lord

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I’ve been had by a nefarious illusion!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

hahahaha

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7350799822699367723

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
took me a sec but lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

took me a sec but lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this is kind of a long article that doesn't really ever get to the point so i'll just link it, but lol https://www.wired.com/story/jeffrey-epstein-island-visitors-data-broker-leak/

tl;dr visitors to epstein's island were exposed by viewing targeted ads (just generally, not that the ads were targeted to epstein island freaks)

most of it is about location brokers and how they obtain data. they don't drop any names, so don't get your hopes up

e: perhaps the most salacious it gets

quote:

Now, however, 11,279 coordinates obtained by WIRED show not only a flood of traffic to Epstein’s island property—nearly a decade after his conviction as a sex offender—but also point to as many as 166 locations throughout the US where Near Intelligence infers that visitors to Little St. James likely lived and worked. The cache also points to cities in Ukraine, the Cayman Islands, and Australia, among others.

Near Intelligence, for example, tracked devices visiting Little St. James from locations in 80 cities crisscrossing 26 US states and territories, with Florida, Massachusetts, Texas, Michigan, and New York topping the list. The coordinates point to mansions in gated communities in Michigan and Florida; homes in Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket in Massachusetts; a nightclub in Miami; and the sidewalk across the street from Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fuckin lol