Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's possible that the biggest failings of modern america is that we have turned prison into a literal parallel hell dimension where you have a high risk of being sexually assaulted or murdered and so whenever someone even remotely relatable does something that clearly merits their removal from society a bunch of people are like woah that's too harsh maybe we can just do nothing instead.

like white collar crime should get some prison time, but it never does because prisons are for black people and poors. that leniency seems to extend to white terrorists now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

what I love is r/poltics are showing “damning, undeniable evidence” of trump causing inserection, but /asktrump is like “the is only circumstantial rubbish, democrats have nothing whatsoever” and it’s great. no way to tell from where i’m sitting what’s true or not lol

republicans don't argue in good faith and lie about everything. if you want the truth the safest bet is to entirely ignore them. there could be a video of trump telling a large angry crowd of his supporters to "go to the capital and fight for your nation" moments before they did just that and republicans would ignore it. also that video exists because he literally did that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
civil wars are incredibly lovely, especially in modern times, but it's definitely the road we are on right now.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm not sure how ironic it is to say "we need to use violence to stop the people intent on using violence"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was a mass assassination attempt, which is sort of what a coup is

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the goal of the protesters was to break into the capital and murder all the democrats. if they had succeeded then both the house and the senate would have changed to republican control until someone was appointed or a new election was run. they only needed to kill one senator! you think mcconnell would have sat around not doing things because he had gained power through a violent extremist mob murdering his political opponent? no way, he would confirm more trump judges or something. it was a loving coup attempt.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
imagine if a democratic politician had been killed. i bet you'd still have like 45% of the country saying poo poo like "wow way to overuse the word coup don't cry over spilled milk stupid libs it's not such a big deal"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sniep posted:

it's only a coup d'etat if it's from the brown region of rest-of-the-world, otherwise it's just spicy patriotism

i was trying to think of how to make this joke so thank you, now i don't have to

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
like seriously though just imagine if it had worked. their goal wasn't like to get a big "President USA" hat and sit on a throne and poof now they are the government, their goal was to murder democratic politicians. that's plenty for a coup, it doesn't all happen all at once, assassinating a major opposition party figurehead creates a power vacuum and can collapse a ruling coalition which would allow the opposing party to gain and wield power, which they can then further consolidate.

They openly stated that their goals were to kill the leaders of the opposition party. Like what if they killed Nancy Pelosi, or AOC? or Bernie or Schumer and flipped the senate? Or like a dozen random no-name dems and flipped the house for a bit?

like seriously guys we got way too close to that because it only has to go wrong once

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nomnom Cookie posted:

what an amazingly shitbrained take. the most horrifying consequence of domestic terrorists murdering congresspeople would the flipping the senate? what the gently caress. is there even a brain in your skull or is it just packed full of DNC fundraising mailers

are you saying the most horrifying consequence is the loss of life? i already mention the power vacuum of losing an ideological figurehead as a horrifying consequence, and it encompassed three of the five examples i gave.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
he probably got crushed. that was a huge crowd in some very constrained spaces and people can get crushed super easy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also someone died climbing a wall right next to a set of stairs

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I tried to watch an avengers movie and turned it off when the start of the movie was literal ubermensch just throwing people into trees and running them over with motorcycles and poo poo

those dudes aren't superheros, they're just trying to feed their families, and the superheroes just murder the poo poo out of them for no reason. they could literally just ignore them most of them are bulletproof and poo poo

i always have a bit of a problem when a ton of "bad guys" get killed in movies. like, there's no way any of those guys know what is going on in the big building that they are guarding, but it is the biggest employer in town and ever since the steel mill closed there hasn't been a whole lot of work and their kid just got sick and they're behind on their car payments.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if we're thinking of the same movie Iron Man does let a guy go who says "dude i just work here" and drops his gun and runs off, but only after he killed like 3 people

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fortaleza posted:

Every now and then the marvel movies show hints of making a good point but then don’t. They wouldn’t be allowed to, would jeopardize returns on the massive investments.

Like the antagonist in black panther is pretty much right, they have to add in a nonsensical thing about how he’s trained to cut of the royal line and destroy the power-giving flower thingy to make him bad and give the impetus for ousting him.

Or the long subplot of them destroying a big city and killing thousands of people. That was bad and wrong and maybe they shouldn’t have done that?? But no they def should’ve otherwise robo James spader would run amok

The Taika Waititi one was funny at least and didn’t take itself so seriously.

Ragnarok saved the entire franchise because they were getting dirtier and grittier with each movie and it wasn't fun anymore. it remade thor from a stiff boring space cop into a funny and relatable star.

it also further pulled the MCU towards "funny goofy" stuff and away from the gritty depressing nihilist realism of the first set of movies. i think guardians started that trend, and then ant man and homecoming kept it going, but ragnarok really cemented it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

because these forums have been dead for like a decade

they actually have about the same amount of traffic as always i think, it just seems dead because all other online communities are like ten million people now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's going to happen again in May and all the crops in the entire nation are going to die

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

that has to be parody

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
twitter can be the best website sometimes

https://twitter.com/_blutgang/status/1361136874908098692?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

during a disaster like this specifically is one

saying you can’t raise prices during a disaster disincentivizes companies from preparing for disasters. admitting that price gouging is a bad thing is admitting that capitalism itself is bad (it is, for reference).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

you can raise prices to cover added costs, you're just not supposed to raise them extortionately like 1500 / night hotel rooms at best western

disasters don't happen very often and the cost of preparing for them is high, so you have to charge a lot during the times when your preparation is worthwhile.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

this is why the language of the law an enforcement is often flexible, to acccount for that. hotels charging 1,5k are not just covering costs, they're profiting immensely off of a disaster

no they really aren't. if they have 200 rooms and are able to increase their prices by $1400 per room for 2 nights that only gets them $560k, which is really not very much money if you're talking about doing a major infrastructure investment at your hotel that you might have to maintain for years without seeing any benefit.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just whistling past that graveyard

if we're talking about price gouging then anything that happens often is by definition not a disaster

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

the hotels didn't spend money to prepare for this. they've been propped up for the last year with free money from the fed. this is just greed. are you doing a bit here?

i guess you can call it a bit. separating "price gouging" from just normal capitalism is incredibly difficult or impossible because they are the exact same thing. if you hate price gouging then really you just hate capitalism. lord knows i do.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
what i'm saying is that america is stupid because we are both like "we don't have to pay taxes to prepare for disasters, private companies will do that! free market baybee!" and also "hey private companies :mad: you aren't allowed to freely set your prices :mad::mad: i don't care if that means you've lost any incentive to ever prepare for a disaster, it isn't nice"

like either we collectively pay to prepare for disasters or we create a system where only those who can individually pay wildly inflated prices during the disaster get any benefit. having anti-price-gouging rules just makes it so someone still has to pay wildly inflated prices to get that warm room but also they have to have connections and do it sneaky. it's dumb. the problem is that they are able to raise the prices that high and that people really legitimately are willing to freely pay those prices.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

have you seen the movie brazil?

good movie

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hey what was that podcast thing where they talked about marketplace and kai rizdahl?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
no i don't think that was it, it had like a bunch of increasingly dystopian oepning lines from the npr show marketplace

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

and then, the state did literally nothing about anything i. that report and 10 years later the power infrastructure is even less robust and all corners have been cut for 20 years and there was a worse cold snap and here we are. who could have predicted it???

predicting things is impossible. you can't see into the future, you'd have to be a wizard or something.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Honolulu has had a ton of pedestrian fatalities inside crosswalks recently and their solution was to get rid of the crosswalks so now it is the pedestrians fault.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol society is collapsing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I lived in Palestine Texas for a few months which at one point was a prosperous Train Town where they switched the cars or whatever but now it is dead. It's just a bunch of sad buildings slowly collapsing and dumb racists who refuse to leave. Some random guy had bought the local jail and lived there, which was sort of cool.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Yeah, when I see people say they’re moving to the countryside for a “quieter lifestyle” I usually just assume it’s racism since there is absolutely nothing in most rural areas except gas stations and Walmart.

Once me and a girl were walking home super late from the Private Club (it was a bar that could stay open after 11pm because it wasn't a bar, which have to close by 11pm, it was a private club. you had to "join" when you got there by writing down your name, or just like any name if you wanted, which meant that it didn't have to obey the law) and a big loud F150 pulled up next to us and was like "hey you better watch out for all the mexicans out tonight, i've seen some around" and it's like what the gently caress are you talking about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

some of these are ridiculous

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1362500384154030080

saw another one earlier where a main broke at a big apt complex, and water was just streaming out the front steps

can't even imagine dealing w/ that, best of luck to you all

im sure insurance companies are ramping up to deny a bunch of claims for weird reasons. oh thats water damage and you don't have flood coverage sorry d.e.n.i.e.d

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if demand for power goes up people will simply build more power plants. the system works

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Wow it's worse than I thought.

You guys aren't prepared for weather at all huh.

I forgot people used to have phone lines in the air it's been so long since I last saw that outside old cartoons.

its expensive to put them under ground

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i forget where i read it but apparently they’re gearing up to sue the poo poo out of the state of texas and ercot

there are a huge number of things where the only real force for good in the world is insurance companies and it is extremely hosed up.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

You’re welcome, glad to be a force for good.

medical insurance companies don't ever do good things though because they actively want their subscribers to die. like if your car gets wrecked then the car insurance company has to pay for it, but if you die the medical insurance company doesn't have to do anything.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

That’s not true, end of life care is super expensive

yeah and they don't wanna pay for that so maybe people should just die a little faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

We put them underground with the water, sewage and heat pipes as regions got rebuilt.

Having power underground but not data is, if anything, weirder.

in america everything is run by 10 different companies who all hate each other so they never do anything together. if one company will rip up a street to put in a gas line and then a different company will rip up that same recently repaved street a few weeks later to put in something else.