Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's gonna get so much worse too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

oldquotin but this is an Australian sign so not your particular hellworld.

i feel much better knowing that everywhere on earth is also insanely hosed up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

Meanwhile, one time i flew from denver to sfo with a backpack full of ham radios, battery packs, a multimeter, loose circuit boards, and a bundle of wire, and sauntered right through.

gently caress tsa

my uncle, also a ham, did this once and TSA was NOT HAPPY with his suitcase full of bundles of wire and metal boxes covered in electrical tape.

he also looks sort of like a crazy person though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
not thinking through literally any consequences of your actions is pretty american. freedom means being able to do absolutely anything you want and then also having the best possible outcome occur as a result.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Legalized sports gambling here has completely destroyed my enjoyment of sports. It’s just so tawdry. Everything , absolutely everything, can and will be monetized.

yeah capitalism rules

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i hate the democratic party so loving much

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i sure am glad that the democratic party exists!! who else would spend all their time and energy poisoning the waters about a widely popular progressive candidate??

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Fool posted:

a story in three images

lol the last panel

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stringent posted:

i mean they're right and cars have to go away. but pretending ppl who can afford massive pickups are adversely affected is dumb and incorrect.

they absolutely are adversely affected. they aren't disproportionately affected. they might be worse off than the dude with the nissan leaf (though probably not because your electric bill is also going up), but they're also better off than poor people who can't afford giant obnoxious vanity dump trucks

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"people who walk or bike to work" is such a fringe minority in america that it isn't even worth mentioning

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

the big thing to me about the feds is they get (and give) SO MUCH loving MONEY yet for 97.2% of things that we want them to do, there's nothing, but they are totally capable of paying for hundreds of millions of dollars for lawyers and rocket launchers. like the FCC is loving defunded (and i know it's not Strictly a federal org) and is basically toothless, but i still dont start up a pirate commie FM station because i have this mirage in my mind that they can still gently caress me up. idk man.

i think about building a giant 96.0 MHz transmitter all the time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
because it's 69 backwards

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

of course theyre all pedo orgy people.

what do you think pizzagate was?
it was cover for epstein island

they whipped up the stupidest, most irrational tale about child sex orgies so that when epstein dropped, everybody would go "Oh no, haha, we're not falling for this again"

they literally do this for everything and have been doing it for decades. most people in america don't have any critical thinking skills, they're completely unable to discern something that is true from something that is false, and so everything just becomes a muddled confusing mess. then they just go with their gut, which is that their pastor is right.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what the hell is a concierge doctor

basically an old timey house call doctor that you pay directly. much much more expensive, so only the rich have them, but also much more willing to prescribe whatever you want and since they have less patients you'll get far more attention.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"why doesn't everyone just get a nanny" except for doctors

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

so we're talking in slack about my incredible lacroix habit (8pack a day) and i was wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for a nice carbonator that isn't a party of the state carpet-bombing Gaza. i'd love to find something that takes external big co2 tanks.

i googled "carbonator co2 tank" and you can make it yourself

https://www.seriouseats.com/pros-cons-diy-carbonation-rig

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also i bought a costco 24 pack of lacroix and yeah i can absolutely see how you can drink 8 of those a day. they're super good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

oh god you mean i can mcmaster this up and hahahaha okay i'm gonna do this. thanks. i didnt realize the carbonator cap (probably the main glue piece to make it a real thing) is readily available. ok ok

fun fact: you can build basically anything yourself. i feel like our whole society has a learned helplessness where the only way anyone knows how to do or get anything is by going to a store and plonking down a few hundred dollars. unless it has some colorful sleek stamped plastic and comes in a cardboard box with some brand name, recognizable or not, it isn't a viable option apparently. no one knows how to build anything.

quote:

when my super unhealthy ex was around we would go through a 12pack of mt dew a day. i switched to lacroix after she moved out, and yes, i do spend $4 a day on fizzy water, but it's just nice and also im not pumping 8 grams of sugar a day into my body

better than the self-amplifying vices me and my ex had, which were cigarettes. we would both smoke two packs a day when we were together. now i only smoke one juul pod a day, much cheaper

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

goddamnit why is youtube recommending me matt walsh videos? I didn't know who he was and clicked one and he loving sucks

conservative ghouls spent like a billion dollars inundating every social media platform with inane perpetually-wrong "cool" conservative media people. i've also been seeing a ton of crowder poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i can't tell if anyone actually likes or listens to anything that matt walsh or ben shapiro says or does except their billionaire oligarch benefactors. i have however seen someone with a "louder with crowder" mug and i've talked to several people who listened to him, and he is just as bad if not worse.

the moral of the story is that you are living your life surrounded by people who are being rapidly radicalized into not just accepting but embracing fanatical conservative tyranny

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so like 15 years ago my first real girlfriend's dad was a pretty cool dude, i liked him. he started his own landscaping company, first just doing stuff by himself then slowly adding more and more employees and getting bigger and bigger contracts, and it ended up being extremely successful. just incredibly progressive too. when he left the company he distributed ownership to all the employees, returning the means of production to labor whom it rightfully belongs.

anyway he once told me a story that he was talking to a dude he had known professionally for decades and the dude started just being insanely racist. just out of the blue he learned that this dude was secretly a firm believer that some races of people were inherently inferior and then acting accordingly in society, he just hadn't ever brought it up to him specifically. I'm not sure why he told me, it had just happened so maybe he was just shocked and we were pretty close. it was like he had just realized that there are super poo poo people like that all over. people who are in many ways working directly against you in making the world the way you think it should be. you probably regularly interact with a bunch and you don't even know it.

i think about it a lot for some reason. it sucks that the world is like that honestly

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i dress in extremely comfortable clothes all the time and write it off as "physicist formalwear"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
experimental :shobon:

sometimes i have to dress up a little nicer but the nicest i'll go is an aloha shirt. i'm never wearing a tie again in my life

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
in fun news: a bunch of people claiming to be native hawaiians apparently occupied an entire pot farm on oahu 8 months ago and are still having armed standoffs with private security forces lol

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/06/standoff-in-waipahu-hawaiian-rights-army-has-illegally-occupied-a-private-pot-farm/

so you know, society is going great and the government and laws are definitely not collapsing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

im the llcs and trusts involved that i totally feel sorry for

my favorite part is that the cops are just like "we aren't dealing with this"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hawaii is just so much cooler than the mainland. on the mainland you have chickenshit conservative cowboy cosplayers squatting on big empty tracts of federal land in the middle of nowhere for a few weeks before slinking off to jail, but in hawaii you have an armed indigenous paramilitary group taking over an active pot farm miles from the state capital from a huge mainland property management group and then just continuing to occupy it indefinitely.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i feel like american society as a whole really makes a point to hammer learned helplessness into the populace. the only way to change things is to vote! go hold up a sign at a rally! call your senator! oh no the thing happened anyway? well shucks maybe next time, that's just how things go. you gotta trust that the system worked and this is the best possible outcome, no matter how lovely and miserable it is.

but in hawaii people never really got that message. they tried to cut down a bunch of trees at a park to build a softball field (it was actually to make it more difficult for people to camp there) and after weeks of protests that didn't seem to be working someone just burned down all the construction equipment. after TMT protesters didn't seem to stifle the forward momentum of the project they constructed an elaborate roadblock village at 9kft elevation and shut down all access to the observatory for over a year. at a recent town hall i went to an 80 year old woman who lives near me told me she was going to chain herself to a tree if she saw construction equipment roll up to a forest some ghouls want to rip down and an elected representative said "it would be great if we could solve this without violence." on big island there is a lot of pushback to mainlanders building big houses in puna and the near universal story is that they'll just drive up to new construction sites in a pickup and just steal everything

people here do not gently caress around.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

well i mean to be fair it is really loving far away lol

i've flown from nyc before, that poo poo killed my back

HNL -> BOS is the longest domestic flight in the world i think. the worst part about the flight is that when you land you're not in hawaii anymore

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i visited lana’i and lemme tell you, the guy who lives there and drove us around, i have never met someone who spoke so positively of larry ellison in my entire life

the guy in the van?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah he kept pointing out all sorts of good stuff that ellison was doing for the inhabitants of the island

lol yeah it's just the one dude who does that and he's been doing it for years. i also remember him saying very nice things about larry. i'm not sure if he had to say that or if larry actually is a better owner than rupert murdoch. i assume he is

if you didn't go to the cat sanctuary you missed out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we did go! such good kitty kitties

nice! i thought it was the best part of lanai lol, but i get to experience beautiful hawaii scenery every day.

Beeftweeter posted:

i have no idea what lana'i's deal is but i'm kinda high and initially thought about it being a tiny island where larry ellison has a massive estate and barely pays taxes but people worship him as some sort of oracle because before that they had near zero funding

of course i'm probably wildly off the mark here but i am not going to look it up because lol

yup that's basically it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

well I'm happy for the people of lana'i. ellison is still a piece of poo poo though

i mean the owners have been Dole Plantation -> Rupert Murdoch -> Larry Ellison so honestly he is basically a saint in comparison to what they've had

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

i learned slippahs in hawaii and its da kine so i still use it.

yeah i call em slippahs

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my favorite hawaii turn of phrase is "talk story," which is just like hanging out talking

for example "i saw auntie yesterday and we just talked story"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just don’t understand what the goal is. republicans tried to overthrow the government. they are continuing to agitate for that exact thing right now. they want to rule the nation as a authoritarian hyper religious ethnostate. if that’s what you believe then the actions you must take are quite dramatic, and I see no evidence that any democrat in power is going to do anything at all.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
like yeah guys I loving know. I am well aware that we live in a dystopian hellworld. i entirely expect authoritarian fascists to continue to consolidate power and continue to succeed in oppressing everyone and getting rich while doing it.

what the gently caress am i supposed to do about that? why are you telling me?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

eschaton posted:

they’re saying “lol you’re a rube for paying attention or caring” because they have nothing else to offer

maybe they’ll throw in a bit of “you shouldn’t have negative opinions about the people who support trump because they’re victims of propaganda” for flavor

rime was right, we should nuke all the white people.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
like if conservatives are only insufferable garbage people who deserve to be imprisoned and kept away from society only because of propaganda, then maybe we should stop the propaganda??? fox news doesn't even air real ads anymore, they're funded entirely by shadowy billionaire villains and enormous telecommunications companies. same goes with pretty much all conservative commentators. if i'm supposed to feel empathy towards the people working as hard as they can to destroy everything good about the world then at the very least i should be able to get upset at the thing that made them that way. but apparently that's too much too

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stringent posted:

this is getting to the point where lol isn't enough

yeah you gotta lmao too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
well at least when fascists start rounding up and executing people i can smugly say "i told you so"