Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

trailers are often really nice, shame they have the rep they do

would rather just live in a large building with others though

They have the rep they have because, as "temporary structures", they're not held to even the same flimsy standards of safety or workmanship that residential construction is. They're mostly known for burning down and getting blown over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I'll admit my trailer-hate may be misplaced. It's a sore spot for me because a ton of the people I know/knew who live in substandard housing happen to have had wheels on it but now that I think of it a lot of the poo poo was the same sort of poo poo that happens to any other building when you either can't afford to maintain it or neglect maintenance for other reasons. Like "getting old while your manufactured home falls apart around you" is something I've seen happen a lot but the word "manufactured" there is not pulling a lot of weight. I'm sure any house that's had lights that flicker at random for a quarter century is a fire waiting to happen.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
It's also easy sometimes to become the person in the family who receives guns when people die. I've never purchased a gun but boy do I own some. It doesn't help that my grandfather was exactly the chud gun hoarder everybody's imagining (with a little dementia/delusion to spice things up too).

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

UCSC also went super hard on squashing a potential graduate student RA/TA union a couple years ago, to the point of calling students' parents and scolding them for throwing away their education

I'm pretty upset about the infantilization of undergraduate students by universities already. This is some next-level bullshit.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Jesus, I went looking for examples and when was the phrase "infantalization of university students" adopted by right wing idiots to be about safe spaces or whatever? The thing I hated is that every step of the process of becoming a university student was directed squarely at middle-class parents who presumably hold the purse strings, and there's absolutely no expectation of autonomy on the part of the student. Being a first-generation university student involved a ton of reading documents with language like "your student" and a lot of bullshit like "ok that's your dorm but what's your permanent address?", which led to a ton of important documents being mailed to my mother, who had no idea what to do with them (or how to distinguish them from the metric fuckton of junk mail universities also send).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

why would anybody care what the kid says. a university education isn't about them, they're just the people who provide the upfront cash for the school's real estate portfolio

Oh it's about them too. You forget another absolutely infuriating trend in higher education: the attempt to turn curriculums into trade schools to provide fodder for *top* *employers*. What even is the difference between learning a technique and learning how to consume a product, anyway? You want marketable skills, right?