Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, done with my work for the day, gonna head into the city and dance to GoGo bands while we see where the night takes us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's literally the same seal what the hell are they talking about

When you entire Patreon support stream relies on explaining how everything is actually the worst, and things are getting better, you gotta stretch for content.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

graph posted:

do not use paper towels even in a pinch

I mean, do not flush paper towels, but if you're a responsible citizen who has a small (lidded) sanitary waste bin next to your toilet where you can throw away the things you can't flush (like those wet-wipes that cause fatbergs), you have a place to safely deposit the paper towel after use that won't destroy your plumbing.

I moved into my new apartment in September, and there was a very specific clause in my lease prohibiting the installation of any bidets. So I'm wondering what kind of havoc they caused here during the first lockdown/toilet paper shortage.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my recollection is that there was at least one night where Kissinger quietly called a couple folks at the Pentagon and basically told them to disregard any orders that came from the President that night

I thought that was James Schlesinger, but yeah things were awfully tense there.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jonny 290 posted:

remember the dork interns on the hill who camped out for the mueller report

Bah! I still remember everyone absolutely losing their poo poo about Fitzmas.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Women who get murdered are majority murdered by sex partners, not so for men, not too hard to figure out.

I was curious about this, and had to look up some stats. Clearly the majority of murders are by intimate partners, but how common is murder in general? (Like, is it one of those things were if you're gonna die from an attack in the ocean it's going to be a shark attack, but overall you're very unlikely to die from an attack in the ocean.)

It lead me to this page, which was really interesting. Homicide ranks 35th for overall causes of death for women, but obviously the age bracket matters. It's the number 4 cause for women aged 25-34, and highest among that age bracket for women. It's about half the number of deaths as those by suicide (and also about half the number of deaths by car crash). The weirdest thing that chart shows, though, is the number one cause of death for women in that age bracket is freaking poisonings. It's well over double the number of traffic fatalities. What is happening there? These are apparently pulled from the CDC's 2018 numbers, so what in the world was going on? Alcohol is broken out into a different category, so they aren't including people who drank to death. How the hell are so many women getting poisoned?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is absolutely just something i vaguely remember but don't women tend to poison themselves more often when they commit suicide?

I definitely remember something like that (that the trend is that they will use less "violent" methods like shooting themselves), but suicide is also a separate category in that chart (and also alarmingly common). Are these mostly miscatagorized suicides/ODs?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, "thanks nato"? I didn't realize that Slobodan Milošević had an account here.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

flakeloaf posted:

for a country that professes the state's active disinterest in religion, they seem to be awfully invested in legislating the ways it's practised

France is what happens when you take one of those internet atheists who get real “Defending Western Culture” when the topic of Islam gets brought up and you turn it into an entire nation-state.

Ugh. I hope that Corridor Digital (who were doing a lot of commercial work with Black Rifle Coffee Company) distance themselves from these guys fast.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

sure, but there are probably some downsides too

Gathering of the Juggalos is the methamphetamines to Burning Man's cocaine.

Hrm... This post actually made me go look and it seems Burning Man raised $1.5 million to make up for the money lost by not being able to happen this year. I wonder if they'll do the event in 2021...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Having spent a tiny bit of time many years ago around Ren Faire workers and volunteers, I think the saddest thing about them is how they really look down on the mere "visitors" who don't camp out and basically make it their lives for the whole 6-8 weeks.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mediaphage posted:

also surprised

He’s started speaking during arguments ever since they went online. I’m guessing it’s because whatever “look ‘em in the eye” poker player technique he was previously using doesn’t work over zoom.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I got the paddle in 6th grade for some some lovely thing or other that I did (I honestly can't even remember). I do remember being given the option of that or in-school suspension for some number of days, and went with the paddling. It hurt much more than I expected.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I know some people who have been to the icp gathering and they're super nice

I have too, and that niceness is often actually junkie niceness. Quick to befriend, quick to be part of the "family", totally ready to help out a new acquaintance at the drop of a hat. It's only when you really get in deep do you see who's beating their significant other, who will steal your car when they get really tweaked out, who has been lying pretty much constantly from the moment you met them. Great people to be around at a party, loving atrocious crowd in the morning after.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mediaphage posted:

my elementary school principal had a giant paddle hanging on the wall in his office but i never saw it used; not sure if he still did or if it was threat only.

Oh man, my grandfather was a high school vice principal in the 70s. He was promoted to that position after being a football coach for many years (he also built up the school's German language program with himself & some of his buddies who had been stationed in Germany after WW2, but the football coaching definitely did more for his career). His primary administrative role was overseeing all of the facilities, but he was also the one called in when it was time for corporal punishment. Thus he was know as the Vice Principal of "Buildings and Butts".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jonny 290 posted:

smug voice: pink floyd died when syd left, sorry for facts

Having strong opinions about Pink Floyd is an extremely boomer practice.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jonny 290 posted:

zeppelin was interesting mainly because john bonham refused to keep time and jimmy page played too loud, but it really does reduced down to LordOfTheRings-core

Only if LordOfTheRings-core is built on a foundation of stolen blues licks.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nah, it was boomer poo poo, 1967 was squarely boomer. The youngest ones were 22 then

It's hilarious how gen x spent almost its entire existence making GBS threads on boomers, only for every generation younger than them to now exclusively refer to gen x as boomers. (Because, from the millennial/zoomer perspective, gen x and boomers are identical.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

no the clickbait hacks that love to write poo poo like “millennials are more interested in wearing silly socks to work than earning a lot of money, why don’t any of them want to buy new cars or own houses??” are going to keep changing it so they can poo poo on young people because that’s what their audience of old people likes to read.

the older definitions were usually something like “people entering the adult world in or around first decade of the new millennium” which would include people from like 1975-1995 or so.

they realized that cohort was pushing 40 and that portraying them as silly children with no agency or reason to be mad was getting less credible.

eventually they’ll have to give it up when the only people under 30 were born after 2000 and the word to zoomers but they love to poo poo on millennials because boomers love to read about how childish and silly millennials are and they’ll keep doing it until all the boomers die off.

I mean, even zoomers hate on millennials for the ridiculous amount of learned helplessness that is so prevalent in that age cohort.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Roosevelt posted:

*all the dads and all the olds in yospos come in to beat the poo poo out of this youngling with their canes and walkers*

C’mon, it’s the ‘pos. All the olds just get back at the younglings by marking them down in annual performance reviews.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Fool posted:

I mean, I'm poo poo at history, but isn't this exactly what caused the great depression?

I think that was more about retail investors buying on margin. At least, as far as what caused the market crash. The greater depression was a downturn that got extremely amplified by environmental factors (the Dust Bowl) and the insanely terrible deflationary monetary policy decisions of the government at the time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fart simpson posted:

anyone else think it’s funny that supposedly a one time payment of $3000 to not even all households is all it takes to wipe out half of child poverty and we didn’t bother doing it until this year?

It will be interesting to see how people start reacting once the child tax-credit payments start going out next month. $300/month per kid under 6, $250/month per kid between 6 and 17. On the one hand, it should be clearly and tremendously popular. On the other hand, since the next big fight will be about trying to make the payments permanent, we can expect people to find every way possible to try and paint them in a negative light.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aren't those payments just an advance on the tax deduction

like they couldn't even just do a straight check to people, it had to be an advance and also couldn't even be expanded without also means-testing the poo poo outta it

It's a refundable credit rather than a deduction, so unlike the previous deduction you will get the $3000 (or $3600) per kid credited even if your total taxes paid is under whatever you could deduct. And while it would probably be better to not do any means testing, starting the taper at $75,000 for single filers and $150,000 for joint filers is still a big enough range to have all the intended effects on child poverty.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pardot posted:

did they do the trick they like to do and only give it to people who filed taxes in the last year, to make sure to exclude the bottom whatever % that don’t bother to file in the first place?

The IRS has a specific non-filer sign-up tool that people who didn't file income taxes can use to sign up and get the payments.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

flakeloaf posted:

if you wanna look like you're extending a benefit to the poor without needing to actually do it, make it an opt-in program

It's not an opt-in program. It applies to every single American making less than $75k individually who had a child under 18. The non-filer tool is just to help make sure the small percentage of people who didn't file any income taxes at all are able to get the money they are owed.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sure but that's still money you were already owed when you file, they're just letting you get it a chunk of it early now

they couldn't even manage to just send people the money free and clear, it had to be an advance on their tax refund, it's loving garbage

I think you don't understand what a refundable credit means. Some of this will come out of the tax refund money that someone would be owed anyways when filing. However, for a majority of people they will be getting more money than they would have gotten. For example, a single mother of 2 kids making $50k would have previously gotten (at most) an income tax refund of $4295 (assuming 100% of her federal income tax got refunded). She will now get $7200 through this program. And even more importantly, the single mother of 2 making $20k a year will also get $7200 through this.

Like, I know this is the hellworld thread an all, but this is legitimately one of the best things that we've done in this country in my lifetime. And there is going to be a big fight coming at the end of the year where the choice will be to make this permanent or get rid of it forever. So when you're launching into the "it's loving garbage" arguments you're doing the Koch foundation's work for them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the child-having benefit has always been a tax credit, it's always been refundable, that isn't new. you've always been able to get that money regardless of how much you owe, even if you owe zero freedom dollars to uncle sam, which is how that tends to help poor people

what is new is that they added some additional money you could qualify for for having a kid, that they even means-tested via the kid's age. and then they said that oh! we'll let you even get half of that child tax benefit early, split up over a few months

this benefit went from being $2k (thanks trump) to $3k, or $3600 if your kid is daycare age, assuming you don't make too much money of course

they could have done straight payments, even means-tested payments like biden's $2000 $1400 stimulus checks. instead they chose to limit it even more harshly, by nudging up the child credit and then paying people out of their own tax refunds. what is that "fight" gonna look like when these payments end, let people get an advance on the other half of their child tax credit? lol

The child tax credit was only partially refundable through the Additional Child Tax Credit. You could get at most $1400 of the $2000 refunded (after 2018, before 2018 it was 15% of earned income and capped out at $1000). This isn't a nudge-up, this more than doubled the refundable amount (tripled it for the pre-2018 credit).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

$2k to $3k isn't doubling, not even at the $3600 you could get if you meet all the means-testing requirements

and giving people the money they're already owed as an advance isn't magnanimous, especially since they're portioning it out over months

I'm talking about the refundable amount, I even specified that in my post. $1400 to $3000 is more than doubling. That is also money that is going to the people who make the least, and thus will have the greatest effect on reducing child poverty. Sorry I'm not concerned enough about the folks making six figgies who aren't going to be able to squeeze every cent out of this program because of the means-testing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's incredibly hosed up to say things like "you shouldn't be bringing new life into this terrible world" or "it's unethical to have your own kids when there are ones to adopt."

Ecofascism is a hell of a drug.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shaggar posted:

in the star track they made genetic modification illegal cause it created a bunch of khans but then parents went and got their babbies gene edited in shady genetics labs and a bunch of them turned out totally fuckin nuts

What always felt weird to me about a bunch of sci-fi featuring the evils of eugenics is that they usually showed that the eugenics actually works and you do end up with these super-people (like Khan in Star Trek). But then they'd say it was wrong because the people who came out of those programs were evil or something. It feels like a much more realistic take would be ending up with someone who is, like, 4" taller than average but whose kidneys are constantly failing due to an unforeseen side effect.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

idk, people who are genetically engineered concluding that the rest of humanity needs to be eliminated to make way for the super race seems *pretty realistic* to me.

like, think of how normal “genes picked by random chance” humans typically view people who are slightly different or slightly more poor or otherwise more unlucky.

if you make a race of genetic super humans and they think at all like normal humans they’ll be 80% assholes bent on destroying the normal humans by default.

My complaint is more the idea that the product of some kind of eugenics-focused genetic engineering would actually be "genetic super humans" in the first place, instead of people with fascinating new genetic disorders who might or might not have the eye color that their parents were shooting for. Like, eugenics isn't just wrong because its fascist, it's also wrong because it is unscientific hogwash based on a bunch of social assumptions about things like race that have no basis in biology.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Anyways, in north-of-the-border hellworld...

In Canada, Another ‘Horrific’ Discovery of Indigenous Children’s Remains

quote:

CALGARY, Alberta — The remains of 761 people, mainly Indigenous children, were discovered at the site of a former school in the province of Saskatchewan, a Canadian Indigenous group said on Thursday, jolting a nation grappling with generations of widespread and systematic abuse of Indigenous people.

The discovery, the largest one to date, came weeks after the remains of 215 children were found in unmarked graves on the grounds of another former boarding school in British Columbia.

Both schools were part of a system that took Indigenous children in the country from their families over a period of about 113 years, sometimes by force, and housed them in boarding schools, where they were prohibited from speaking their languages.

A national Truth and Reconciliation Commission, established in 2008 to investigate, expose and document the history and consequences of the residential schools, called the practice “cultural genocide.” Many children never returned home, and their families were given only vague explanations of their fates, or none at all. Canada had about 150 residential schools and an estimated 150,000 Indigenous children passed through the schools between their opening, around 1883, and their closing in 1996.

It is unclear how the children died at the church-run schools, which were buffeted by disease outbreaks a century ago, and where children faced sexual, physical and emotional abuse and violence. Some former students of the schools have described the bodies of infants born to girls impregnated by priests and monks being incinerated.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The funniest part of this whole comedy of errors is the immense amount of takes-havers who have had to sit back and bite their tongues while we all wait for the results to come through. They've clearly got very strong opinions about what this election means for the direction of the Democratic Party and future US elections, but without results on which to hang their justifications, they're left blowing in the breeze.

EDIT:

akadajet posted:

post a video of you doing more than 22 push ups

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiVrydqh42T/?utm_medium=copy_link
(Old video because I look far too hideous after 13 months of quarantine to release any images of my face. Also, 20-25 push ups is perfectly fine for a non-active adult of a reasonable fitness level. It's not super-impressive, but it's not some embarrassment.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 30, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kitten emergency posted:

adams has been the actual favorite for a while, I’d be surprised (somewhat pleasantly) if Garcia pulls it out. I’d be thrilled if Garcia pulled it out strictly due to RCV

Of course we don't really know what is up because of the sample votes in the initial count, but I was really surprised that Wiley got the smallest share of Yang votes after he was eliminated. (Garcia overtaking Wiley in the 9th round was also an absolutely wild turn of events in that initial count as well. I can only imagine how upset her campaign must be right now.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kazinsal posted:

and another catholic church in alberta burned down. needless to say, the catholics are only outraged about one of these

It's happening fast enough that news articles about it are having to be very specific about when they went to press as the count might be higher by the time readers see the piece.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Afghanistan war just barely managed to outlive him.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The guy at 0:10 had me googling for a few minutes to see if Vin Diesel had a bit part in Tales from the Hood 2.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

austin’s new ballot initiative ban doesn’t allow permanent camping anywhere in the city, like, you can’t set up a tent and just stay there. but it only bans sit-lie in a small part of the city: the downtown central business district. that is *probably* legal according to the scotus ruling (in my non expert opinion) because the scotus ruling was on a boise law banning sit-lie anywhere in the city. in austin right now you can still find places to sit or sleep on the ground, you just can’t set up a less temporary tent/campsite.

it sucks but i don’t see it getting struck down at a federal level soon, if the city had acted a little bit more proactive in tackling the super visible campsites in parks i don’t think it would have passed, it was a ballot initiative in an off-year non presidential election (which means way more conservative voters) and it only passed by like a 60-40 split, mostly from voters who are from the suburbs and would have seen the camps in parks but not even notice camps in other parts of the city.

when i voted against it my ballot didn’t even have city council members or school board members or any state wide or national races. it was literally just a vote for 10 local ballot initiatives about small changes to firefighter collective bargaining and other things most people just do not care about.

The whole "only the suburbs voted for the camping ban" was based on a poorly-labeled map that caused a lot of people to misread some locations. The measure won by a huge margin in downtown and also carried every voting district adjacent to downtown, but lost by a big margin in and around the UT Campus (an area that never saw any of the encampments since UT didn't allow them) and North/Northeast of there. There were just as many uninvolved suburbanites in areas like Mueller and Hyde Park voting against the ban as there were uninvolved suburbanites from Tarrytown and Northwest Hills voting for it.

Part of the problem was also that Austin has a really bad volunteer and charity culture that isn't able to effectively work to fix problems. There is often a lot of goodwill and desire for solutions that immediately get squandered on superficial bullshit. For example, I've got a friend there who makes a little care package once a week with some water, a few sandwiches, and some toiletries that he takes and drops off at an encampment. And doing this makes him feel really good and gives him something to post on social media. But he also has a six-figure job. He makes those care packages rather than donating any money to Caritas or any other charity because he "believes in direct action". (Oh yeah, and he protests his property tax valuation every year, taking money out of the city's pocket.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jonny 290 posted:

except they don't. straight up giving people free housing and transportation and medical care is way cheaper than letting them live on the street and get arrested over and over and have ambulances dispatched if they OD

the cruelty is the point, but it must be remote cruelty.

I will say, Austin is doing some work along that front. They've purchased a few former hotels around the city that they are converting into housing specifically for the homeless. Part of the deal was that there would be one of these in each city council district (and naturally, the one they are buying in the city's reddest district is facing some intense objections.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

are they the sovcits who steal people's houses?

Yes. In fact, they did it to somebody on TikTok recently…

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdHaW1Cc/

(That is the first video, and then she does a whole series of videos breaking down the whole story.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

President Beep posted:

boris johnson: prime minister of england (and some other countries)

Boris Johnson tips his hand about the long game he's playing to completely dissolve the UK and have England finally stand alone as its own country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It is pretty lovely for a bunch of high-earning computer-touchers to gas up a bunch of significantly less well-off goons by talking about how everything is so terrible and is clearly going to collapse any minute now and then ~~~the revolution~~~ will finally arrive (especially since they are often personally doing extremely well and would never actually participate in the revolution if it were to happen). I personally know a few folks who have made some extremely poor life decision because they were convinced things were on the precipice of revolution, so why bother trying any long-term projects to improve their station in life.

That said, I think revolution/collapse-of-capitalism talk is going to go out of style as things continue to get better for more and more people. Which is already happening because, y'all...

...It’s Morning in Joe Biden’s America

quote:

Last Tuesday President Biden’s Council of Economic Advisers published a blog post warning everyone not to make too much of any one month’s employment report. It presumably released this in advance of Friday’s report to fend off possible accusations that it was just trying to make excuses for a weak number. As it happened, however, the report came in strong: The economy added an impressive 850,000 jobs.

The job gain was especially impressive given widespread claims that businesses couldn’t expand because generous unemployment benefits were discouraging workers from taking jobs. (Recent benefit cuts in many states came too late to have affected this report.) Well, somehow employers are managing to hire a lot of people anyway.

[...]
We’ve gained three million jobs since Biden took office, or 600,000 jobs a month. This compares with gains of 340,000 a month in the year leading up to the 1984 election.

To be fair, Reagan-era job gains took place from a lower base, so it may be more appropriate to compare growth rates. But this still gives Biden the advantage: 5 percent at an annual rate, versus 4.4 percent in 1983-84. And the disparity grows if you compare jobs with the working-age population, which was growing around 1 percent a year in the 1980s but has stagnated in recent years.