Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Jonny 290 posted:

yall know they're 100% on lasers and LED lights now? the LED panels are loving brilliant and amazing even sober. I went to a Kacey Musgraves (hippie espresso drinker country music) show down in ABQ and they were working the LEDs and lasers HARD.

She's also totally a huge stoner and knows her crowd. But yeah, light shows are pretty amazeballs anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

My wife's a big fan. It's not the kind of music I listen to on the reg, but I still think she's great. Merry Go Round in particular is a perfectly unflinching narrative of growing up in rural America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfj2Ir3GgQ
It's nice to have someone in country music cutting through the bullshit mythology that country music tries to build up.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Man remember when Yahoo had a lovely Java app for chat and it had voice.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

(it was called slack, hey-oh)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Sorta been wanting to make sad posts ngl

Merry Christmas to everyone, esp those of you nursing emotional hangovers from dealing with family today.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

this is literally the best joke brexiters can think of

I was kinda afraid that was the gag.

Pending food shortages but at least he owned the libs on twitter.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

idgi, post mgs5 spoilers please, I will never play it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That is an immense cut in financial support in a relatively short period of time.

In 2011 there was actually a Republican budget proposal to literally cut funding in half for PSU. I'm not sure where it ended up exactly but news reports for the time said the final number was still devastating. They've been trying to systematically dismantle the higher ed system. (Meanwhile allowing shale natural gas extraction to come in and rape the land and pay 0 excise tax for profits that end up in Texas. But public universities are too much a burden on state tax revenue.)

loving Pennsyltucky.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

when they were first working on this a reporter came to campus and was asking students their thoughts on this stuff. i told him that they'd probably "compromise" by only slashing a third of the budget and a decade from now everyone would be wondering why higher education was so expensive and our economy was in the gutter because everyone is insane debt.
laffo

Leopards will never eat my face.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

President Beep posted:

oh boy. ohio...

when i was in high school i went on a field trip to the big ford plan in Lima and it was the most drawn out, boring drive i've ever been on. runner up was taking highway 20 across northern indiana.

I grew up near there! It's not as bad as it seems!!!

(that's a lie)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The best part of growing up in the Midwest with family that lives a very Midwest lifestyle is that there is no way to expand their horizons whatsoever. They can travel outside of the Midwest and will just reproduce their Midwest life no matter what other options are available. My parents would drive 8 hours to visit and still insist on hitting the local goodwill and bargain outlet stores and eating at Cracker Barrel and spending the whole time watching the same TV they watch at home.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Really worried about Biden not finding a way to extract profits from a global pandemic.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

I told the Americans that the private sector is the most equitable and efficient way to distribute healthcare and they believed me. the absolute madmen

At a congressional hearing on healthcare: it was just a prank bro!!!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

lament.cfg posted:

Radiohead has

:golfclap:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Wishing we had more clips of chuds getting beat and teargassed. Please post clips.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Salt Fish posted:

I'll make you deal. I'll admit glenn is sometimes right even though it annoys me if you admit that russian influence over trump is too real to be 'the lefts version of qanon'

:same:

Also re the Russian influence campaign, I don't think it can be argued it didn't happen. The effect it had can be debated. But I clearly remember seeing "WHITE GENOCIDE" trending on twitter in the middle of the work day by thousands of Just a normal patriot mom who's tired of the left's lies! back in the summer of 16, and poo poo like that was being astroturfed on the daily for months. I was also living in rural PA and hearing my neighbors repeating the same conspiracy bullshit that was popping off on r/the_donald like days after seeing it vote manipulated to the frontpage with 75,000 upvotes.

Like, yeah, if you go full Louise Mensch with the 70000 sealed indictments, it starts to get qanon-y. But the basics of the quid-pro-quo between Russia and Trump and the involvement of the IRA in pushing misinformation is just established fact at this point.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Every large world government has a vested interest in the US as our dumbass country is hellbent on carrying out imperialism across the globe. It felt like people just learned this in 2016? It's only fair after the boys and girls of the company interfere in theirs.

Also it was revealed that Michael Flynn was literally an undisclosed agent of the Turkish government operating in a high position in the US government.

Like most things in the Trump era, it's just bringing the corruption to the forefront. Saying the quiet part out loud. It's always been a problem, but the powers that be have always been fine when there was a veneer of decorum about it.

Dark money groups post-Citizens United running dogwhistling anti-crime ads aren't that much different from state-sponsored Russian hackers gaming social media to rile up racist grievances. It's just the latter doesn't have any semblance of plausible deniability.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

qirex posted:

the russia thing is vastly less important than the 2+ century legacy of disenfranchising people in the us but trump won by so little there's not much doubt to me it was important
I mean, yeah, there's that, too. It's just that every other republican pres candidate had the same advantage of the former. The latter was what made up for the "enthusiasm" gap.

I guess I don't think it's a zero-sum game when you're talking about all the ways republicans will lie, cheat, and steal to win. Again, Trumpism is all about saying the quiet part out loud and removing any plausible deniability from republican strategies.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I mean he's not wrong, but I assume he's interpreting it from a "think of the rich people being hurt!" perspective and not a reaping/sowing one.

Edit: the sex point specifically is dumb but the "young men without opportunities" thing is on point

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

really? my recollection of the galloway videos i saw in the past doesn't leave me thinking he's wringing his hands about all the rich people and their hurt feelings/wallets. maybe i'm misremembering/mistaken though.

I have no idea who the guy is and did zero research for my hot take. Basically, I'm pro at posting.

Also I had some guilt about renting out my old house on airbnb before selling it and thanks to that video I am guilt-free. Holy poo poo those guys are trash.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm just.... so happy seeing these people so upset. My god it's beautiful.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

infernal machines posted:

if you thought that last recession was great, wait 'till you see what we have in store for you this time!

gr8.depress.io, powered by GameStop

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Stereotype posted:

i thought this was the best article about it today https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-28/knowing-when-to-sell-gamestop-stock-at-the-top-is-impossible

I really recommend reading it (copy and pasted because they can have an annoying paywall)

Good journalism!!! About investing!!! What!!!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I had to take my wife to a surgery in Manhattan the other day, and on the way back we saw a giant billboard advertising Ohio as a cheap COL state to move to now that everyone is WFH, and it was just super hilarious to me. (And not wrong, but I have zero desire to move back)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

big TechTV energy here, except someone is probably taking this seriously

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Look, this is a politics thread, you can't really expect me to "read" for "context"

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I always wonder how people feel about their weird novelty zeitgeist purchases like 20 years after it was relevant for all of 30 seconds. The closest I can think of having something like that was the Princess Di beanie baby that my parents bought.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

fart simpson posted:

people still collect those. that beanie baby might be worth a cool 3.5 figgies now

What the actual gently caress

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Real timecube energy from that seller.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

quote:

***EBAYS Copy Right IMAGE AND TEXT Policy:
Any wording (text..Including the word Ghost Version), photo, or video used on my page(s) is for my personal use only. The use of my exclusive text, video, or photos without my permission is against Ebays Image and text policy.***
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=261541425266&category=440&pm=1&ds=0&t=1496714077000&ver=0&cspheader=1

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

hbag posted:

can't remember how i found it since i think the first time i heard about it was back in 2012 and i signed up due to my terrible terrible fiscal responsibility

Hell, same.

Actually I read the frontsite in the mid 00s and lurked the forums when I was in college. Just never signed up til 2020 when I was bored and lonely cuz covid.

Everywhere else on the internet is a flaming dumpster fire and is getting worse by the day. At least the cost barrier here keeps out most of that. (Not to mention the fact that it's actually community funded, and not 90% data harvesting to 10% community engagement)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Truely rip in piss on that one

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm definitely at the "cranky old man bitching about being cold and tracking in mud from the slush" phase of winter.

But I have reliable electric and heating so it's hard to actually complain rn.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

lmao @ the fools not killing at least 6 fat tires a night

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

That's been the market within like a 2 hour drive radius around NYC since covid. I don't know that it's development though as much as city peeps making 150k+/yr suddenly being wfh and realizing they want a yard. There's bidding wars everywhere.

Which super sucks for me, not making city salary, but having a spouse with a natural resources job at a nature preserve that's just an hour's drive from the city.

I don't know what the solution is, but the government (state or otherwise) has got to do something to prevent all this property from being treated purely as an investment vehicle to reduce price pressure.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

being able to find ANY home sub $100k in a city people have heard the name of is amazing imo. why hasn't pittsburgh become extremely unaffordable like the rest of the country

They put fries on salads.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Whenever I have to summarize how hosed American healthcare is, I just say that you can go bankrupt from medical bills from your dead kid's cancer treatment.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I went to a weed store in Seattle on a work trip and it was fine. I proceeded to get way too high and realized I get panic attacks so I stopped smoking with them on work trips. That's my cool weed store story, thank's for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how can i trust someone who won't smoke the weed

Iirc that automatically means they're a cop