Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

his point about more cops being at the march for bill nye the science guy made me suddenly remember i marched on the mall for autism research and yeah- there were way more cops

"Congressional security" is probably closer to reality than "capital police". I think a lot of people don't understand the distinction.

The capital police are under the legislature. They answer to the sergeant of arms of the house and senate, and ultimately to the majority. The police you saw at the mall were probably the US Park Service, which is under the executive branch. The capital police are a bunch of bike cops for the most part - you could see them getting their heads bashed in while wearing bike helmets. They depend on the executive and the DC government to contain large crowds at protests that happen off their grounds.

The stop the steal rally was at the ellipse - the fence around the white house. That's what's craziest about all of this. The executive (ultimately the president) deployed no law enforcement or security to contain his rally that started on land policed by the executive. Congressional security (the capital police) was prepared for a few hundred die hards to come over and scream at the doors. After failing to provide law enforcement to keep his rally from getting out of hand, the president, his son, and his lawyer spent all morning winding them up. Then he told them to march on congress and he would join them.

What happened makes a lot more sense when you realize the capital police were probably counting on all those law enforcement officers you saw at the mall, or the DC metro police being in the way of the rioters reaching congress. Congress repeatedly refused to build a perimeter fence like the ellipse, same as they refused to harden the building after 9/11.

If I'm wrong somebody please correct me because I'm an old and I don't read so good anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also - the president refused to deploy the guard after it started. Mike pence had to do it.

It's almost like the president;s inaction... IDK, ammounted to a coup or something. presidential staffers are worried they may have inadvertently aided in sedition or treason.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Like, not only refused to call in the guard, and refused to tell his crazies to leave the building, but was calling senators demanding the refuse to certify the count while they were under seige.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Sorry for the posting firehose, but the other important thing...

Bombs were planted at buildings the capital police provided security for. They probably sent a large detachment out to sweep buildings for explosives and to clear people out of them.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

holy lol. hadn’t heard this part.

sources if you want it.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/mike-lee-tommy-tuberville-trump-misdialed-capitol-riot/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/pence-national-guard/index.html

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
What I can't find a source for but remember reading is that neither the capital police, nor the executive requested a major presence from the metro police department.

I look forward to hearing what the chief of the capital police was told about the rally from the executive branch. We've seen some rear end covering with the "FBI offered help after the fact, and the guard was offered before" - but we do know the guard would not have been issued magazines and may have only been given non-law enforcement support roles (deploying and moving barricades and directing traffic).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"Nice life you've got there, shame if something happened to it"

Same as "I don't plan on attending the inauguration". It's almost like he's got some kind of contact to the rabid, violent true believers (I'd point to flynn). Really puts the "stand down and stand by" comment in a crazier light. Q-shaman said his group was invited by the president. It's unclear if that's a personal invitation or if he is talking about the tweets.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

technically the board consists of the architect of the capitol and the sergeants at arms of the house and senate, but the architect is in charge of the complex as an entirety.

this board supposedly reports to Congress but somehow I doubt a 2020 trump appointee cares about something like that

I doubt the guy had a major role in planning the human security. Congress has repeatedly voted against hardening the building or constructing a fence because they didn't like the optics of a fortified congress. It was previously unimaginable that congress would have the need to protect itself instead of relying on the executive branch to do it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Was he the chief? I thought he was just an officer.

If the guy was depressed it doesn't take much to push someone over the edge.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

graph posted:

boo boo hoo

Probably just reduced the number of flights that have to return to the gate for mask non-compliance by a significant %.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I bet the line is all the way back to the little podium you fill out the deposit/withdrawal slip on.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/FrankieSoupp/status/1348835029984694272

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Agile Vector posted:

its sad but also funny, but not schadenfreude funny just sitcom character funny

A sitcom named "Thaaaaattt'sss Rudy". The melting hair and rally at the four seasons definitely tops the time JFK called himself a donut

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 12, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
this is nice if true (flint water crisis):

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap-learned-michigan-gov-snyder-told-theyre-charged-75204433

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Re: the turner diaries - The vast majority of people who read it today are reading it to understand the origins of the white power/militia movement. It's more or less required reading for people looking to understand white supremacy in America.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

realistically what can either side of the government do to “fix” middle america? or middle anywhere for that matter?

trump could never have bought back those coal jobs but the solution isn’t teaching them to code. is there even a solution that isn’t turn it into a ghost town

I think you're confusing middle America with coal country.

Much of the rot in middle America stems from the degree that wealth is extracted and not reinvested in local economies

Discourage monopolies, encourage local ownership and small business through tax and regulatory code, require living wages, reinstate protective tariffs, etc.

Appalachia is a special case (coal country), and we should be offering federal assistance in relocating entire extended families. Welfare will only ever help people subsist at the maximum of government aid in many parts of Eastern kentucky, Tennessee, and w.virginia. there really isn't a solution other than ghost towning it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The USDA programs that pay agri-business to destroy product or not preduce essentially act as the federal reserve for agriculture. Production can be unpredictable so the USDA stockpiles some things during surplus, and attempts to keep markets from cratering when certain crops overproduce. Along with crop insurance it serves to keep consumer prices predictable and used to function as a rural anti-poverty program.

They used to set a price for certain products, but price setting fell out of favor with Reagan. It's been a boon to some industries and a bane to others. De-regulating airline pricing has been a disaster - they now need constant bailouts because market pricing means they operate on razor thin margins.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

turn it into a holiday resort

like isn’t it pretty or something?

Some parts already are. Some parts like the coal river valley might as well be barred from human visitation they've become so polluted.

quote:

i heard the people there are poor as absolute poo poo

I'm from Louisville. Many churches here don't organize missions to other countries. They organized missions to eastern KY. Medicaid expansion has reduced the need for dental and medical missions.

Hillary Clinton's absolute refusal to admit ending wellfare (cash payments to families with children) was a mistake is monstrous when you see that it led to children growing up in tents, or families that had to beg their neighbors for potable water during the recession. I still cannot believe that the republicans managed to find a candidate so poo poo that I'd have to hold my nose and vote for the D.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
To clarify - vote for the D. instead of third party.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also, a charitable dental clinic pretty much only pulls teeth so people don't have to ask their friends to do it for them or get drunk and use pliars.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

oh it’s ok if i’m the victim

sorry i’m dense, what did clinton do?

was welfare stopped but she wouldn’t admit that it had?

She actively whipped votes for her husband's policy initiatives. One of those was "wellfare reform" - which they openly called "the end of welfare as we know it". Wellfare provided cash payments to families that had children under 18. The clinton's reforms replaced this with TANF - temporary assistance for needy families. It allowed an adult with dependents to get payments for a total of two years over their entire lives. The goal was to get people off of welfare and working.

You can see how this might become a problem if there was no work available for four to five years. Hillary Clinton has never shown an ounce of remorse and still defends the changes to this day.

I don't think you could fake the look of shame on Biden's face when Harris called him out over the crime bill. I can't imagine seeing anything approaching that level of genuine humanity from either of the clintons.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Uh... did you see what those guys were doing for the half hour before that shot? The video I bookmarked was removed.... Those guys were crowded in the east entrance 300 style engaged in a crazy shoving match to hold the door.. No backup showed up, so when they were told everyone inside was safe, they withdrew.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

what an utter fuckup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVZvp-Dv0gg

This lasted for a half hour or more. They didn't just give up the building.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It really is as simple as "the president didn't ask for a permit to have a mass march to the capital".

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's crazy the daily show gave the best coverage of the size of the march.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDJqipoohc

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I mean, that lady basically got executed because in her mind all she had to do was persist and the cops would back down like they more or less had repeatedly done at that point. It’s more or less a kind of fascist ideology brain worm where your opponent is both a tyrant and a weakling simultaneously

My Armchair Boothaver Opinion is that she got executed because when the officer showed his gun to indicate deadly force it was in her blind spot due to the door frame.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

There were like eight guys hiding in doorways pointing guns that you can see in the crappy video of the incident. There's no way she didn't see any of them. She just hosed around and found out

:nms:https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/01/08/newly-available-video-shows-fatal-shooting-of-pro-trump-rioter-ashli-babbitt-in-the-capitol/

I watched it again. I can see the people go into doorways but you really can't see any guns down the hall.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Kid that was right behind her did an interview with her blood all over his hands. Said there wasn't a warning - there was, and the people who saw the gun clearly pulled back and stopped. Pretty bad luck - there were a group of heavily armed officers heading up the stairs to less politely encourage people to leave.

Also kid with blood was there in part because he didn't get a $2k stimulus check - u guys can't tell me that you didn't consider killing congresspeople when they kept it at $600.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

i'm glad you pointed this out, because it really does offer some important context

At first they had the doors secured. They were throwing people off that balcony thing - literally throwing them off at first. Then the insurrectionists figured out they could just kick in the windows because they were just normal wood and glass. They opened some steel fire doors, and the officers at the west entrance were trapped and stopped offering resistance - they moved back to the walls. You could find a video of one of them (looked like farva) shaking in fear as they pour in past him. Selfie cop was with that group of officers standing against the wall.

The crowd on the east side was way, way larger. There is a second where the camera guy pans back and you can see down the steps. If the officers at the east entrance hadn't held, I don't think they could have kept them out of the house chamber.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

it's a good reminder to yours truly to not jump to conclusions based on prejudice.

I'm angry that they've been taking down the longer videos and leaving up short edits. I'm ready for some extreme regulatory violence against the internet monopolists.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So how much longer until boomerbook "discovers" that bill gates is a major stakeholder in dippin dots through a shadowy chain of custody?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the feds finally arrested baked alaska

Probably were waiting for him to be covid negative.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also lolling at all the idiots getting picked up by the feds and falling for the most basic poo poo. those have to be the easiest interrogations of their careers

You don't co-operate with the investigators, you negotiate with the prosecutors - should have been in art of the deal somewhere.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

think about someone whose entire mental model of law enforcement is decades of watching cop tv shows all of the sudden encountering angry feds. they have no chance

You've got four more days till you know that's absolutely true.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

actually refusing to talk to cops without legal counsel is the right move. I don’t expect them to know that

What did I just say.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You don't co-operate with the investigators, you negotiate with the prosecutors - should have been in art of the deal somewhere.

Don't hire an attorney until they actually get an arrest warrant. Unless they've already got a good case they won't ever bother filing charges and you've wasted money.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
For everything under a class B felony, a good lawyer just knows how to get you the best plea deal. At the point you're in court it doesn't matter if you're actually innocent anymore.

Reminder that we could be halfway to a free ross if he'd taken the deal.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

hobbesmaster posted:

didn’t he have a lovely true believer bitcoin lawyer?

Not sure. But he could have done ten years at a prison camp and now he's doing double life plus forty and AFAIK he's still in medium security. He should be thankful it's federal prison. His lawyer probably advised him against trial - they spent wayyyyy more effort on the sentencing portion than they did the actual defense. I appreciate Karples (who did nothing wrong) providing us with the transcripts.

When bitcoin crashes I think I'm going to write him a letter and include a private key for a satoshi.

Sniep posted:

otoh having a lawyer in hand is important if you know you're in jeopardy and you uhhh get your retainer back that's not spent so why not?

Maybe it's a state by state thing, but in Ky the criminal defense lawyers charge a flat fee to start representing you (Think like $1-$2k) and I've never heard of anyone getting a part of it back. Even just to sit down and talk to the police with you. Typically it will cover everything up till the trial actually starts and then they will want more payment up front.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Obv. if you are a criminal doing criminal things, you shouldn't have a problem plunking down that money ASAP. But for poo poo like "Somebody set you're neighbors garage on fire, you don't get along" don't offer to get a lawyer and go down to the station. Just don't talk them.

It's kinda irrelevant to the thread since everyone at the capital riot or who participated in convos online with rioters about killing congresspeople better be saving up because I have no idea how much a federal criminal defense lawyer costs.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

President Beep posted:

does an attorney need special credentials to practice at that level or is there just a price premium?

Licensed Federal Attorney. I've only ever known one person who faced federal charges. He had to sell his house. He did get really good advice to develop a morphine addiction during all the pretrial stuff and plea negotiations. He went to rehab, the prosecutor saw it as a mitigating factor, and instead of going to prison he got volunteer service and a sentence diversion. His partner got convicted for the same crime(s) and did two years.

Edit: Yes people went to prison for mortgage origination fraud that caused the bubble.
Edit edit: maybe it was the judge who signed off on the plea deal that gave the diversion.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Saw so many posts and was expecting to see tiger king got clemency.