Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Oneiros posted:

man i want some barbacoa

Barbacoa is right and good, but for me there’s nothing like adobada sliced fresh off the trompo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i think the obvious conclusion should be that people from san diego are dumber than the average

As a proud San Diegan, I can't really argue with this logic. It's too complicated.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

mediaphage posted:

back when this all first started i read a poo poo ton of papers about hand sanitizer. one that stuck out to me was a setup in an elementary school where they had kids use it upon exiting and entering the classroom every time.

it resulted in a kind of shocking reduction in student and staff absences. might want to try that too tbqh.

yeah, I'm not convinced it helps with 'rona or flu as much as masks, but the assorted noroviruses are just as worth getting rid of as respiratory viruses.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

our dumbass governor got rid of ours a little over a month ago, along with this color system

(this is from yesterday)

I’ve been making my own artisanal graphs, and I can tell you that San Diego county has a case rate worse than last summer, and are back up to early February numbers of new cases.

Better yet, San Diego county stopped publishing numbers except on Wednesday. Ugh… fucks up my prediction models.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Fortaleza posted:

But cases have gone up but deaths and hospitalizations went up and back down and have stayed down. It’s different because the vaccines are working.

I hate to be a bummer but things have gotten better

mediaphage posted:

there are not going to be an extra six million deaths between now and christmas

My amateur models are pointing towards it being about as bad as last year... but we only have four weeks of spiking cases to work with. Deaths in my county seem to lag over a month as far as correlating increases go. Hospitalizations are beginning to rise too.

So yeah... I'm not going to be as doomer as to guess millions, but I think another 400-500k is within reason at the moment.

My models are amateur hour though, and are only reasonably predictive a week or two into the future.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Jonny 290 posted:

There's a term for the good chiropractors that just do some joint popping and teach you posture and how to more efficiently use their body and don't claim that they can cure your gout with an 'adjustment'. i forget it at the moment tho

Osteopaths?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
PEOPLE VOTED FOR THIS PERSON:
https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1442487744069083136?s=20

thats_not_how_this_works_thats_not_how_any_of_this_works.gifv

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1452752299558846470?s=21

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

What's Goku's thoughts on immigration?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

he's an immigrant from planet saiyan OP

Sounds like a communist to me.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Jonny 290 posted:

ill die in america, theres no nation i want to live in that will have me

lets hope im able to ease some suffering on the way

:same:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
holy poo poo, the crumbleys tried to run to Canada.

https://twitter.com/local4news/status/1467023575131557891?s=21

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i mean yeah but running to one of the five eyes is kinda dumb when you could have run to mexico instead

i guess we know why they didn't go with that option lol

maybe they were trying to get to Mexico, but they forgot that going south out of Detroit gets you to Canada.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Imprisonment is violence.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

NGL, I unironically thank you for posting this, because I've got a couple hundo left over in my fsa and I didn't know I could buy CPAP cleaning poo poo. I mean... what else is an FSA good for if it's not good for that... but I just don't think about it most of the time!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Don't forget having to fight off charges from the doctors who don't technically work for the hospital but looked at your chart anyway, and oh by the way they are out of network.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

AlbertFlasher posted:

the us healthcare system sounds like trash imo

(satire) But if we're given universal healthcare, then we won't be able to choose our doctor!

It's a land of contrasts.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

shoeberto posted:

Whenever I see criticism of the concept of health care rationing meaning you have to wait, I think about how I waited for 4 months for a non-emergent procedure and still got stuck with a $4k bill.
Hell, just getting a new Psych meds scrip requires at least 2 week lead-time.
Pediatric cardiology has like a month waitlist minimum to get a non-emergency EKG done.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the way it should work is that the hospital and clinic and pharma manufacturer should each be owned by the public and be entirely funded via taxes

But then who will do research and hire good doctors when CEOs of non-profit corporations are no longer able to take home 8 figure salaries?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Jonny 290 posted:

that bit from Smug Mom who Despises Us Jen Psaki was just insane

More Smug Mom

https://twitter.com/BidenTracking/status/1469405376256876546

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

akadajet posted:

Chicago might be different, but there’s plenty of video evidence that parts of California right now are hosed wrt personal and retail theft.
Got a link with a trend graph? As a southern CA resident, I'm only seeing videos published by the Nextdoor pearl clutchers.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
so you’re saying that retail theft stories are bullshit? https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-15/organized-retail-theft-crime-rate

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if I saw elon musk I would stab his boer emerald rear end

can I say that
Only because we know you mean "in minecraft"

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1487276246509654020?s=21

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I’m still kinda shook how far between everything was in the north Houston exurbs… and how featureless Texas is in general on the El Paso to Houston slog.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I use MacOS, the only good linux.

:argh:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I use viM because I’m old, OP.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm confused, who is this D&D/CSPAM reject that we're lighting up? This is more pointless than the usual depths we plumb here in the hellworld thread.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this is the designated bad posting thread and you're still managing to come in below average. good job?

I mean, not everyone can maintain the sheer tankie power of our posting here in the ‘POS.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
My tiktok is mostly spanish language cooking videos of various quality. I... uh... don't speak Spanish.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
When I want an authentic Mexican experience I first have to search the depths of my soul and decide what that means today. Then I head out to whatever place has that.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Build more housing and also disincentivize landlording, you can fix a problem with multiple approaches.

I can spend all day long browsing houses for rent in my lovely chain link fence neighborhood for $1800+ a month and pulling up property records to show some LLC bought the house out of a non-public estate auction or whatever for $80K.

When I first rented in this neighborhood I had a 1BR for $325, back in 2004 or so. There's nothing in my entire neighborhood now for less than $1000.

Yeah, it seems like a vacancy tax would be a good start. Pumping property tax on non-primary residences should be another fairly "easy" step.

But it needs to come with some strong laws about maintenance/tenant rights or you just encourage slums as landlords to "recoup their investment" by neglecting repairs.

Also, decoupling school funding and property taxes might help even things out a little more at the local level, too... but that's a different property tax/classism/segregation problem. (Maybe outlaw charitable foundations from providing direct aid to individual public schools? I dunno, it's obvious to me that these entities are just a way to get around funding the poor-neighborhood schools more.)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

I’m no fan of JB but the man legit has a speech impediment that he works around.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

it's like the old axiom: quick, cheap or well built, pick two

okay i choose

health care

nope

not the military industrial complex

nope

not legal slavery via racist policing

nope

well we tried nothing and we're all out of ideas

https://twitter.com/DEVOPS_BORAT/status/289782091250532352

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

aren’t you a pharmacist

joke/actual point

your head

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is rough when echi posts jokes too subtle for you

to be fair, the best homeopathy jokes are almost entirely devoid of humor

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

really you should tell a really bad joke and then beat it to death to dilute it

endlessmonotony posted:

Turn on your monitor.

my brain found this infinite meta humor loop so funny I chuckled out loud

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1521531063075491840?s=20

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

post hole digger posted:

that's why these midterms are The Most Important Election of Our Lives.

Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Stringent posted:

going back to gun control chat, there's a really easy and obvious way to get gun control passed which afaik i'm not allowed to post

Not even in Minecraft?