Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of

Fran Challenge #8: When Animals Attack!
suggested by Basebf555

The film must be new to you.

:spooky: Watch an animal attack movie. :spooky:

No fantastical creatures (like The Ritual, Annihilation). Only real-life animals, within reason; something like Deep Blue Sea still counts, because while they're super smart sharks via experimental mutation, they are still just sharks.

or

:spooky: Watch a film in which Man vs. Nature is an explicit theme/part of the text. :spooky:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Franchescanado posted:

Nope. One movie can only count for one challenge.

Also Bride of Frankenstein isn't a silent movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spook-a-Doodle Double Feature #19: I Always Feel Like Somebody’s Watching Me…

Ok, look, I don’t know why I paired these two films. I needed a tech film for Fran’s challenge. And I needed an “invisible person” film for Hooptober. And I couldn’t figure out what to pair either of these films with. And then for some reason Rockwell popped in my head and hasn’t been able to get out. They both kind of sound like obsession and personal space and stalking? I don’t know. Does every one of these really have to make sense? Sometimes you just watch two random movies? I went and found two posters that look good together. This is harder than it looks. Does anyone read these anyway? I’m not a creative guy. But this is a pretty freaky song and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

33 (37). Demon Seed (1977)
Directed by Donald Cammell, Screenplay by Robert Jaffe & Roger O. Hirson, Based on “Demon Seed” by Dean Koontz.
Watched on Tubi.

Fran Challenge #3: Feardotcom

Its the age old story. Boy meets girl. Boy builds super computer. Boy gets caught between girl and super computer. Super computer rapes girl.

Apparently that dude who imagined an AI designed to help mankind would decide the best way to do so would be for it to kill people wasn’t thinking big enough like Dean Koontz. What if the AI just cured cancer in a week, got bored, and decided it wanted to go all Rosemary’s Baby on someone?

Oscar winner Julie Christie works her rear end off in a really humiliating performance. Humiliating both because she has to get naked and sexually assaulted and brainwashed by a robot but also because this movie is real bad. But its also deeply uncomfortable and Christie really does do everything she can to try and sell this terribleness. I may never watch or read another Dean Koontz thing but I should go watch some Julie Christie movies. Ideally ones where she’s not raped by a computer.

When I was a kid I went to Disney World and we went to Epcot Center. And Epcot Center was like half these areas designed like other countries and I thought that was really cool. And the other half was this weird stuff designed in the 60s and 70s to what they thought the future was going to be like. It was weird and kind of lame and this movie reminded me of that. Except with rape. Much more rape.

What the gently caress was this?

There’s also some really twisted “you gotta carry out your rape baby by her husband” poo poo in here but I don’t think this movie is even good enough to dig into that.

Ugh.

Reader’s Note: It was at this point that it was 4 AM and I was not willing to spend the next two hours watching another movie about a woman being abused by an unseen force because it turns out my pithy intro and instinct about these films was WAY too accurate. So this was not technically a double feature as I slept between them. Actually I slept twice between them and didn’t watch anything for over a day. I am a fraud.

34 (38). The Invisible Man (2020)
Written and directed by Leigh Whannell.
Watched on HBO Max.

Hooptober Se7en: 1 Invisible Person film

Holy poo poo.

Wow.

That movie literally left me breathless. Not even left me. That was one of the tensest, most physically affecting 2 hours of media I’ve ever personally experienced. It starts from the word go with Whannell brilliantly creating an entire pre-story and world for the movie to enter into midway through that was evident without a single word being expressed. Elisabeth Moss is brilliant and nothing should ever be taken away from her acting performance and what she brought to this and how invaluable she is to a film that features her in nearly every second of its runtime. But I also think a ton of credit has to be given to Whannell in the way he built tension and anticipation right from the word go. All the lingering shots, the long shots, the tense moments. As we watch Moss escape from this prison without having any details at all of what she’s been through or what her name even is its readily apparent how terrified she is and what a fortress she’s escaping from in multiple layers. Before the first big jump scare of the film happens a few minutes in we’ve had so much fear and dread built up waiting for it that it crashes through the screen at us.

“Jump scares” get a bad rap in horror. Yes, some films use them cheaply and some films have nothing but them. This is not one of them. Realistically there’s probably only a handful of legitimate jump scares through the entire film but when they happen they’ve been built up so effectively and with so much tension that they’re almost a relief. Yes, my heart leaped out of my chest when it happened but after spending so much time holding my breath at least I could breathe for a moment until the next big of tension builds.

If there’s a criticism to make or a nit to pick its that there’s almost too many parts to this film. Like after 90 minutes of just a fist wrapped around my heart and a shocking moment that literally brought me to shocked tears and my hands over my mouth unable to collect myself for a minute or two… at some point I was kind of burnt out. I stopped feeling that intensity in part because I just couldn’t anymore. But a lot of that is actually in the design of the film too. Somewhere around the 60 minute mark I was wondering how the hell the movie was going to keep this up for another hour and how it wasn’t gonna just string things along or burn out. But actually pulls that off by basically having 5 acts instead of the usual 3. The film follows the natural course of the haunted house story it kind of is and then basically shifts into a slasher film and then shifts again into a psychological thriller. Or maybe juggles all of those elements at different times? There’s so much there and it easily could have collapsed under the weight of all of it but it all manages to work for me.

The “haunted house” thing is a big part of my focus because I think it does such a great job taking the elements of the classic haunting story and combining it with the abuse story its telling. All those elements of gaslighting and isolation and stalking and abuse are there but they’re enhanced by the ghost nature of it all. The hopeless feeling of all of it. Yes, any abuse victim is isolated and afraid and may not have anyone they can count on or call on who will believe them. But Cecelia does have people but even they have their limits when she’s telling them that a dead man is doing these things. Its impossible to believe or understand and its so heartbreaking and isolating. I found myself in tears wondering “What the hell can she do?” I felt completely hopeless and lost with her. You can’t call the cops on your husband. You can’t call a priest on the ghost. What the hell can you do? There were moments where I as a viewer was almost contemplating the worst case option for Cecile just because it seemed like the only one available. It was that emotionally exhausting a journey. The abuser broke ME down as a 3rd party observer.

I feel like I could talk about this film forever. I feel like I’m not talking enough about how great Moss was and how she carries the nuanced and impossible ordeal she goes through. I feel like I’m not even mentioning Aldis Hodge who I love and was so pumped to see for the first time in awhile and who I think added a very nice bit of stability and decency to the nightmare even to the point of his character blaming himself when everything went to hell that he could have done more. I haven’t mentioned how relieved I am that no dog was hurt in this. I haven’t even touched on the ambiguity of the ending fo the film. Like… there’s a real unresolved question of what exactly happened in this film and who was gaslighting who. That answer will never be given to any of us and its genuinely lingering with me. On rewatches I’m definitely going to be watching elements of the film closer looking for clues to that but I’m betting I’ll never have a real answer to that key final question of the film.

That was just a great, great film. I am blown away and its gonna be really hard for any horror film to top that for me this October.

Letterboxd List
October Tally - New (Total)
1. Eaten Alive (1976); 2. The Hills Have Eyes (1977); 3. The New York Ripper (1982); 4. Five Dolls for an August Moon (1970); 5. Life After Beth (2014); 6. Child’s Play (2019); 7. Blacula (1972); Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire: 8. Bones (2001); 9. The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1985); 10. Two Evil Eyes (1990); 11. Creature with the Atom Brain (1955); 12. Night Monster (1942); 13. Vampires vs. the Bronx (2020); - (14). Attack the Block (2011); 14 (15). Spirits of the Dead (1968); 15 (16). Tales of Terror (1962); 16 (17). As the Gods Will (2014); - (18). Gothic (1986); Fran Challenge #2: Short Cuts: 17 (19). Tim Burton’s Doctor of Doom (1979)/Vincent (1982)/Hansel and Gretel (1982)/Frankenweenie (1984); 18 (20). Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride (2005); 19 (21). The Mummy’s Hand (1940); 20 (22). The Mummy’s Tomb (1942); 21 (23). The Mummy’s Ghost (1944); 22 (24). The Mummy’s Curse (1944); 23 (25). Rabid (2019); 24 (26). The Crazies (1973); 25 (27). The Curse of Frankenstein (1957); 26 (28). The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958); 27 (29). The Mummy (1959); 28 (30). Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968); 29 (31). The Evil of Frankenstein (1964); 30 (32). The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb (1964); - (33). Crimson Peak (2015); 31 (34). Cronos (1993); - (35). The Babysitter (2017); 32 (36). The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020); Fran Challenge #3: Feardotcom: 33 (37). Demon Seed (1977); 34 (38). The Invisible Man (2020);

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For those that have Shudder, a solid under the radar choice for an animal attack movie that you may not have seen is Boar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

dorium posted:

I’ve never seen Cannibal Holocaust... time to fix that.

Franchescanado posted:

Just a heads up, there are several edits for this film.

Two of the edits keep the actual animal deaths--which are genuinely graphic dismemberments of animals the cast and crew ate--intact.

One edit removes them.

All of the edits are relatively accessible, but I do not remember which is which. Someone else can clarify.

No judgement on which you watch (I have only seen the film once, with the animal deaths in tact), I just think it's polite to know your options for that film.

You are looking for the UK edit of Cannibal holocaust if you want to avoid the animal deaths.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of

suggested by Basebf555

No fantastical creatures (like The Ritual, Annihilation). Only real-life animals, within reason; something like Deep Blue Sea still counts, because while they're super smart sharks via experimental mutation, they are still just sharks.

or

:spooky: Watch a film in which Man vs. Nature is an explicit theme/part of the text. :spooky:

Karma gives and taketh away. I've got the perfect film for this that I was going to watch tonight (and I bet at least three other people watch, too).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

17. Hausu
Watched On: HBOMax
Fran Challenge #6: Tomb of the Blind Spots (Watch that essential horror / thriller movie you haven't seen)

I've been told to watch this movie since I was in college and am finally getting to it. God drat, but it is an experience.

I've been seriously watching movies for 20 years or so and I can honestly say I've never seen anything that is shot like Hausu. The cinematographical and directorial choices that are made in this movie are both baffling and intriguing: the circle zooms, the greenscreen effects, the dreamlike quality of the set design. Even if you don't have any interest in a movie about Japanese schoolgirls getting attacked by a haunted house, it's worth a watch solely for its artistry.

On top of that, you get a movie with murderous pianos, flying heads and a bunch of sinister kitty cat paintings. Special shout-outs to Kung Fu and Melody.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#88) Night of the Damned (1971)

Journalist Jean Duprey receives a strange letter from his old friend, Guillaume, saying that his health is deteriorating. Duprey and his wife go to visit, and find that Guillaume has a strange new wife of his own, one who's overly protective of Guillaume. Then there's an underground funeral for Guillaume, because you get to do that sort of thing when you own your own castle, and Duprey and his wife are left alone to dig into the mystery of the widow.

Nice Gothic autumn atmosphere (the characters specify that it's October), with the gloomy candle-lit castle, its billowing curtains, foggy chambers, and sumptuous furniture enriching the presentation. The acting out of the plot is less compelling, but the performances are good, with spots of body language communicating character's thoughts towards each other. The investigation comes off kind of haphazard, but there's enough fun effects (shout-out to the skull fade) to keep things enjoyable along the way, right through the abrupt finale. Good Halloween vibes, if a little nonsensical in spots (though, honestly, that adds to it).

“Did you ever mess around with anagrams?”

:spooky: Rating: 7/10

Watched on digital copy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of

suggested by Basebf555

or

Gives me a excuse to watch Day of the Animals or Food of the Gods. Can't decide.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of

suggested by Basebf555

While preparing lunch I thought of an even better pick and I thought I'd ask if Gyu: Tokyo Fish Attack counted since the fish are dead and being animated by cybernetics.

Then I remembered I watched the movie.

Note: it's better for being able to rip into it for being awful. Not actually "better".

Hollismason posted:

Gives me a excuse to watch Day of the Animals or Food of the Gods. Can't decide.

Third option: Night of the Lepus. :v:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

dorium posted:

I just realized I put Cannibal Holocaust instead of Cannibal Apocalypse which John Saxon is actually in lol. Thanks for the reminder about the poor tortoise. New proposal for scale of animal deaths in movies. Is it Friday the 13th (relatively quick) or Cannibal Holocaust (severely long and drawn out).

For me it depends on a few factors.

1. Is the shot learing?
2. Is the suffering prolonged?
3. Did the filmmakers engineer the death of the animal, or are they merely documenting an already occurring event?
4. How many takes were involved?

I'm not sure as to the veracity of this, but Friday the 13th also fits into a special category of hosed up because:

quote:

Also, the snake - which was a harmless bull snake - was accompanied by a handler who didn't know about the snake's intended fate. There are some unclear details about the handler's involvement, but by many accounts, he was incredibly upset by the snake's death, had to be held back by crew members after it happened, and some even say he can be heard crying off-camera following the snake's death, as he was inconsolable.
https://screenrant.com/friday-the-13th-movie-controversy-real-snake-death/

IMHO filmmakers should, as far as it's possible and practicable, avoid causing harm and suffering to human and non-human animals alike, and that even one preventable death is too many. But let me put away my soap box.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I hate snakes. They are terrifying. I think they’re horrific. And I find the Friday the 13th snake story abhorrent and grotesque. It’s completely negligent on the filmmakers , it’s animal abuse, and it’s a psychological attack on a pet owner.

Edit: having re-edited the film myself, it’s also completely unnecessary. The sot is .5 seconds long and the moment is sold by the setup and the reaction.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 15, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

No animal should be intentionally harmed for the sake of a movie. When I see it, I cringe.

But I also don't lose sleep over it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly there aren't a ton of examples of animals being purposely murdered on-screen, and that Friday the 13th situation is one of them. It's pretty egregious. Like, yea there are many instances of animals being abused or even killed out of negligence(i.e. the director wanting to get their shot and the safety of the animal is completely secondary), but specifically setting out to kill an animal is way way over the line. Throw in the distraught owner who had no idea what was going to happen and it's just straight-up evil.

Is there one or two specific people that we can say were responsible for that? It's something that rarely gets brought up when discussing Sean Cunningham, and I've never heard him address it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ok well now the background of the snake in F13 makes that hosed up even more, but without that knowledge I still think the scale works because hoo-doggie that tortoise scene is B_R_U_T_A_L to sit through. i still get flashes of it getting hacked up and it looks like a lot of it just went to waste in the movie as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

22. The Invisible Man (2020)

This one was a bit frustrating, as it's very much a film of two halves - and I would've enjoyed it more if they either made the second half closer in tone to the (frankly, superior) more metaphorical first half, or revealed more in the first 45 minutes which wouldn't have set up my expectations for the remainder of the film which, frankly, gets a little silly.

Moss carries it almost entirely, and the absolute dread her character feels during the opening sequence in particular is translated to the screen perfectly. Music is used sparingly, adding even more to the effect.

It's worth a watch, and for me I regret not knowing more about it going in - a rare feeling - as I would've set my expectations appropriately then, and probably enjoyed the last hour more.

***˝ (adjusted score after discussion, there's only one sequence I really didn't care for but it negatively affected the movie as a whole for me).

23. Friday the 13th Part 2

It's been 5 years since the Pamela Voorhees murders at Camp Bl.. I mean, Camp Crystal Lake... and boy has Jason grown!

From a retrospective viewpoint, where everyone knows that Friday the 13th as a franchise revolves around the hockey masked entity that is Jason, Part 2 is simply a better film than the original. Following a similar path as the first, you could essentially skip the original and rely on the flashback sequence and folktales told by the characters to know what came before.

The increased budget is clearly visible on screen, the expanded cast works better, the introduction of Jason as the killer and a better (albeit not perfect) final sequence just make it a more enjoyable watch than the original. The kills for the most part aren't particularly wild, not having Savini at the helm probably accounting for this, but it doesn't matter too much. A fun ride for sure, and we're one step closer to getting the Jason the world knows and loves.

***˝

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

ok well now the background of the snake in F13 makes that hosed up even more, but without that knowledge I still think the scale works because hoo-doggie that tortoise scene is B_R_U_T_A_L to sit through. i still get flashes of it getting hacked up and it looks like a lot of it just went to waste in the movie as well.

If your talking about the tortoise or turtle in Cannibal Holocaust then that was actually eaten. Doesn'tmake much difference .

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

If your talking about the tortoise or turtle in Cannibal Holocaust then that was actually eaten. Doesn'tmake much difference .

yea it looked like it was actually being eaten and I hope all the parts found some use, but the footage we got is what we got and the lady playing Faye is taking those child bites you do when you hate something.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

A series of gruesome deaths leave the police baffled, but all the victims have one thing in common - they all visited a mysterious website called "feardotcom.com" (yes, really) exactly 48 hours before dying. Meanwhile, a serial killer known as The Doctor is broadcasting his murders over the internet. I spent most of the movie thinking The Doctor was running the creepy site but by the end I couldn't tell at all because the plot to this makes no sense and it's just generally awful.

I can answer this! I watched this piece of poo poo too! Spoilers I suppose but it doesn't make that much sense anyway.

The Doctor livestreams his murders, but the trick is he changes his website every time, so the police haven't been able to catch him. Because that's how websites work.

Anyway his *first* kill was streamed at feardotcom.com, of the lady who becomes the ghost. Going forward SHE controls that website, and seeks revenge blindly through it. All of the footage there is of her or her murder.

Meanwhile The Doctor is on his next victim on feardotcom.biz or something. We don't actually see his new website just occasional viewership numbers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

graventy posted:

I can answer this! I watched this piece of poo poo too! Spoilers I suppose but it doesn't make that much sense anyway.

We don't actually see his new website just occasional viewership numbers.

I loved watching the spinning visitors counter on his website. Right at the moment when even the general public was making fun of hit counters on websites.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

graventy posted:

The Doctor livestreams his murders, but the trick is he changes his website every time, so the police haven't been able to catch him. Because that's how websites work.

Anyway his *first* kill was streamed at feardotcom.com, of the lady who becomes the ghost. Going forward SHE controls that website, and seeks revenge blindly through it. All of the footage there is of her or her murder.

Meanwhile The Doctor is on his next victim on feardotcom.biz or something. We don't actually see his new website just occasional viewership numbers.

I wonder how an entity handles the billing for a website. these are the kinda questions I was left with after watching feardotcom

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I loved watching the spinning visitors counter on his website. Right at the moment when even the general public was making fun of hit counters on websites.

I loved those too! Plus I watched part of The Cleansing Hour beforehand, and the main character there was worried about peaking at 50,000 viewers. It was great to see this serial killer at like, 1500.

The internet has really changed, man.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How much is Max Von Sydow actually in the Exorcist II? Thinking about that for challenge #7 but if he's only in a flashback or something I'd rather pick something else

graventy posted:

ah ok, I missed that feardotcom.com was his first site. I think that raises more questions than it answers though...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eaten Alive (1976)

AKA The Texas Crocodile Massacre AKA Does Tobe Hooper Hate Marilyn Burns?

Tobe Hooper's first film after the original TCM was a film that is somewhat similar in someways to that classic. People come upon a run-down house (in this case a hotel), the owner attacks/kills them. Only this time Judd (who'd fit in fine with Leatherface's kin), feeds them to his giant pet croc.

Some familiar faces show up, like the afore mentioned Marilyn Burns, who once again is put through the ringer from Hooper. A young Robert Englund plays a sleazy guy named Buck who just wants to gently caress. Morticia Addams herself, Carolyn Jones appears in two scenes as a Madam of the local whorehouse, and for some reason is wearing really bad prosthetics on her face.

Neville Brand as Judd gives the only decent performance. William Finlay, playing Burns' husband, gives some sort of performance, but as what, I have no idea.

The decision to film this entirely on a sound stage is an odd one, since a lot of the scenes come off as looking like a stage play, as is the choice to often bathe the "outside" in red light.

'tis an odd film, but one I couldn't really recommend.

One out of Five Poor Dead Monkeys

Watched on Amazon Prime

1. Deep Rising 2. The Night Stalker 3. The Car 4. Land of the Dead 5. Bug 6. The Addams Family (2020) 7. The Gorgon 8. The Initiation 9. Sweet Sixteen 10. The Addams Family (1990) 11. Addams Family Values 12. Hubie Halloween 13. Trucks 14. Eaten Alive

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 15, 2020

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
30.  Return of the Living Dead III (1993)

The ol' government is still doing experiments on zombies, hoping to weaponize them. Luckily they're doing this in the most unsecure facility on earth! Curt sneaks in with his girlfriend Julie, sees some freaky poo poo, and after a shocking accident, decides that maybe zombie girlfriend is a good idea. Curt is dumb.

This is Julie's movie, and I wish she had more of a character arc and wasn't constantly being rescued by the bumbling Curt. I think the changes she goes through would be a lot more interesting if she was given than being 'Curt's cool (Nazi) girlfriend' and I wish she had some agency at all in the ending. 

That said Julie is an incredibly designed character, and I think I learned some new things about myself in her reveal. It's a very flawed movie but a lot of the imagery will stick with me. 
4/5

31. In Search of Darkness: A Journey into Iconic 80s Horror (2019)

Just four hours talking about the horror movies of the 80's, featuring a number of the biggest players in the horror scene.  

It'd be a much better documentary if it were more focused. The 80's was a huge time for horror, which means every movie they talk about gets like, 5-10 minutes of time. This doesn't allow for much insight, and instead is basically just a series of extended previews with occasional good stories from Barbara Crampton or John Carpenter.  

I found it particularly frustrating when their topic switch would pan from the poster of the movie just discussed to the poster of the next movie to talk about, over several iconic and influential films. Also you really don't need to end your four hour documentary with 15 minutes of 'our fans are so great'.  It's not preaching to the choir, exactly... sucking the choir's dick? Just find a more interesting way to talk about cool cosplay if that's what you want to show off. Or don't! You're movie is unfocused enough without it.
3/5

32. Relic (2019)

After Sam's grandmother disappears, she returns home to help her mother manage affairs and try and track her down. When grandma just as unexpectedly returns with no knowledge of where she was, they have to decide what to do with her as her dementia worsens. Oh and there might be something in the house.

Dementia is a scary and traumatic thing to deal with, but it has been handled better in horror before (The Taking of Deborah Logan). This was just, too slow, and maybe too dark. At least I couldn't tell what I was supposed to be terrified of. Are they upset at the creepy sounds, or is there some sort of image in the black mold? Kind of a weird extraneous side plot with the neighbor too.  

I did like parts of the ending, and just the general dark feeling of the inevitability of death and disease. An upper, really!
2/5

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Eaten Alive (1976)

this movie is so much grimy fun you're the first person ive seen who doesnt love it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How much is Max Von Sydow actually in the Exorcist II? Thinking about that for challenge #7 but if he's only in a flashback or something I'd rather pick something else

I had forgotten he's in it, if that helps.

The focus and tone is very different than the original.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#89) Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

Dig those crazy teens! Some rebels throw a 'black mass' in a graveyard for kicks, resurrect Dracula, and loose him on London. One of the kids is the great-grand-daughter of Van Helsing, though, what luck! Fun atmosphere, great samples (good to finally know where Pig pulled that invocation from), sharp camera-work, and Peter Cushing as a Prof. Van Helsing for the modern era. Good times, a little corny, groovy fashion time capsule. Lee doesn't get much time on-screen, but he's excellent when he is, and there's one heck of a showdown between him and Cushing. I can see why this one is so fondly remembered.

:spooky: Rating: 7/10

Watched on digital copy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ah ok, I missed that feardotcom.com was his first site. I think that raises more questions than it answers though...

BTW, everyone who watched feardotcom has been going to feardotcom.com, right?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

moths posted:

I had forgotten he's in it, if that helps.

The focus and tone is very different than the original.

thanks, I'll hold off on that. I thought of a different one that fits better anyway.

also I looked through a list of celebrities that died this year and now I'm bummed out :(

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

BTW, everyone who watched feardotcom has been going to feardotcom.com, right?

hahaha yeah we went to it immediately when the address showed up in the movie, I love it.

I just tried to click on it from my office though and our firewall is blocking it. TSFW (too spooky for work)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Fran Challenge #5: Silent Scream
suggested by Dr. Puppykicker

:spooky: Watch a silent horror / thriller film. :spooky:

#22. Nosferatu (1922) (Criterion Channel)

A slightly tweaked version of "Dracula" - real estate agent Hutter travels to Transylvania to sell a house to the mysterious Count Orlok, who turns out to be a vampire. Orlok ships out to his new home, bringing a plague with him, before he is ultimately defeated by a good woman and her love.

I'd seen Nosferatu back in high school and again in college, but it had been about two decades since I last rewatched it. Looking at it again last night with fresh eyes, and an improved HD transfer with a proper score and color tinting, it was almost a revelatory experience. I knew the famous, iconographic shots from the film, of course - Orlok rising up out of the coffin, prowling around on the ship looking down on the audience, the elongated shadows coming up the stairs, his famous death scene - but I didn't realize how good the rest of the film was capable of looking.

I found it interesting seeing the discrepancies between this and the far more famous (and official) Universal Dracula adaptation. There's a lot more scene setting in the beginning of Nosferatu than in the Universal movie, showing us far more of the Harker/Mina couple (here renamed to Hutter and Ellen) and their life pre-vampire-encounter. It's interesting that the Renfield analogue, Knock, is the one that puts the film's events in motion, since it seems he knows Orlok is a vampire prior to sending Hutter off to sell him a home in town; doubly interesting that I can finally see the print well enough to see all of the physical similarities between Knock and Orlok's physical appearances. (It's funny that, even 100 years ago, old rear end in a top hat wealthy real estate types are the real monsters who end up unleashing plagues on the unsuspecting poor, all for a subservient devotion to a gaunt rodent-like "master" in another country.) It's also funny to realize that this is where vampires being killed by sunlight ends up originating in popular culture, since they are only weakened during the day in the original book.

That said, I do think there's some extraneous padding in the film. There's an overlong period of getting Hutter from his home town in Wisborg to Orlok's castle, and while it's nice to establish his relationship with Ellen I don't know that it's necessary. I also think that the extended period where Hutter and Orlok are in the castle together, which is set to take place over several days, ends up being a little overlong and repetitive. The film plays it up like he ends up being tricked into letting his guard down by the daylight hours, which is why he never seems to take anything seriously until it's too late. However, when the situation is never in doubt, it feels like the film is spinning its wheels. The film picks up immensely once Orlok finally ditches Hutter and moves towards Wisborg, but those first two acts really feel like kicking the tires over and over again.

Still, I'm probably just quibbling. The film remains an important, foundational horror experience, it looks better than it has since release these days, and it can still move surprisingly well (when it wants to). It's worth seeking out, even almost a century after its release.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Watched so far: The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Happiness of the Katakuris, Rabid (1977), A Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Blacula, Night of the Demons (1988), The Phantom of the Opera (1943), The Mummy (1959), Over Your Dead Body, Halloween 4, Frankenstein (1931), The Ice Cream Man, multiple shorts and specials, Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Blood Quantum, The Hideous Sun Demon, The Raven (1935), Final Destination 2, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man (2020), Countdown, Nosferatu (1922)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hahaha yeah we went to it immediately when the address showed up in the movie, I love it.

I just tried to click on it from my office though and our firewall is blocking it. TSFW (too spooky for work)

I'm getting a certificate error, so it's possibly that that's causing the block.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hollismason posted:

Frogs! and Prophecy come to mind also, for that 70s eco-horror trend

(former was boring, haven't seen latter)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really recommend Alligator 1980 with Robert Forster for the Animal Attacks challenge. Its actually really good. I'm watching Day of the Animals right now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
26. Homicidal (1961)
Castle's spin at Psycho style thriller was pretty great! I'll have to think more about it, but I think I like it more than I did Tingler and 13 Ghosts so far.

Joan Marshall/Jean Arless turns in a great performance which was vital to the movie's success. I'm glad we spend a good chunk of run time with the character. There is a lot of nuance in the Emily and Warren characters.

Castle's intros and gimmicks continue to make me laugh and are enjoyable, though this one could have been dropped with no changes made to the film's story. I really appreciate how he makes these movies. There's some element of camp and they have a stage play sense to them at times yet there's plenty of sincerity to all the characters and the tension he builds can be very effective.

4/5

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 16, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

I really recommend Alligator 1980 with Robert Forster for the Animal Attacks challenge. Its actually really good. I'm watching Day of the Animals right now.

Seconding this one. A hell of a ride. Easily one of my favorite animal attack movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#45: 1970 Taste The Blood Of Dracula

Yay I'm in the 70s

I've watched a lot of dracula movies for this challenge, and in all of them the plot is basically oh no there's a dracula in town, he's doing dracula stuff, we gotta do something about this dracula. But in Taste the Blood of Dracula, for the first half of the movie dracula is just blood dust in a tube. So they gotta do something a little different. And that results in something actually really different and interesting.

The plot is driven by character's desires. They want to break out of the restrictive and boring Victorian rules, and that leads straight to draculas. The old men want to experience new heights of debauchery, and what could be more debauched than tasting the blood of dracula? Alice wants to go to parties and talk to boys and wear dresses that show off the top half of her titties, but her hypocritcal father won't let her. But once she gets mincontrolled by dracula, she's able to put her dad in his place.

I don't want to go too crazy and say that that's what the movie's "about" or anything. But it is a more nuanced dracula movie than I've seen so far.

Also, the guy who sells them the dracula blood played Clapper in How I Won The War, so that was pretty fun to see.

But I gotta say, the actress who played Lucy was terrible at playing dead. They open her coffin, and the camera is on her while the guy says "she's dead" and you can clearly see that she is breathing deeply and regularly. I can't blame her too much on that because that dress was designed to show off even the smallest movements of her chest. But later on when her lifeless body is carried out of the lake, her lifeless body wraps her arm around the guy carrying her, realizes what she's done, and then drops her arm back down again.

I really enjoyed Taste the Blood of Dracula. I think in a vacuum Horror of Dracula and Dracula has Risen From The Grave are better moves, but in this particular instance of me having seen so many similar draculas in such a short span of time, Taste the Blood of Dracula was a welcome breath of fresh air.

45 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2, Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy, Horror of Dracula, Psycho, King Kong vs Godzilla, Blood Feast, Mothra vs Godzilla, The Creeping Terror, Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster, Orgy of the Dead, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Ghidorah Horror of the Deep, Berserk!, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, All Monsters Attack, Taste The Blood of Dracula

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m finally gonna watch Shakma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Same, and I'm excited about it