Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Tarnop posted:

I'm going to watch 31 movies that I've never seen before. I'll probably manage more since I have basically nothing else to do, but this is my first October challenge so let's not get carried away.

Ditto! I'm so ready for some Fran Challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

dorium posted:

Challenge time:

Gobble two tabs of acid and watch CATS twice to count it as one horror movie.

Your avatar has become sentient

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I was really trying to wait until October, but the temperature dropped like 30 degrees here and it feels like autumn so gently caress it.

1) Tanny and the Teenage T-Rex

This was so much fun! It's not something I would have ever given a chance if not for you horror goons, and it's movies like this that finally convinced me to join in the October challenge. IIRC the filmmakers had the animatronic T-Rex for a very limited amount of time, and I'll be damned if they didn't do everything they could to build a wild 90's flick around it. That dino's head poking out of the transport truck's top reminded me of a happy pupper sticking his head out of the window of a car on the highway :3:

Besides the robosaur of the film's namesake, I was most captivated by Dr. Wachenstein.
"I feel like Christopher Columbus on the verge of discovering a whole new world."
"He thought he was in Asia..."
"This is much better place!"
I can't even call him the villain when you have deputies Norville and Neville dropping casual misogyny and homophobia willy-nilly. Speaking of which, I love love love Byron and wonder if he was some of the inspiration behind Jordan Peele's character in the Gremlins 2 sketch (This is a stretch but it's the first thing that popped into my head upon Byron's introduction). Between his fashion sense and Denise Richards' Clueless/Blossom wardrobe, I was transported to a simpler time in my life.

I think there are several lessons to be learned from the film:
One: No matter how punk you are, don't fight Paul Walker in a half-shirt; and if you do, grab his nuts.
Two: The best way to ensure a successful booty call to Paul Walker is by calling him on your 1930s telephone.
Three: Some goon needs to make a sequel in one of those inflatable T-Rex costumes.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

WeaponX posted:

That scene is one of the best effects shots in horror history and even if Hellraiser doesn’t sound like your thing it’s worth it for that scene alone.

It’s amazing for the budget the film had but it’s also just the perfect Clive Barker scene...the super goopy effects, the ethereal light shining through the dark room, the swelling melodramatic music. Love it.

This is spot on. The Faculty of Horror podcast praised this scene and its use of basically only latex and KY jelly. It's exactly what comes to mind when reading the phrase "a body reconstituting itself." So drat good.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

1. Alien (1979)

I really do love this film and am one of the few that likes it better than Aliens (both are iconic, don’t get me wrong).

Does the consensus really lean in favor of Aliens? I very much prefer the original over the sequel. Although admittedly, if I’m in the mood for Platoon in space, give me Aliens.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

2) The Loved Ones
Watched on Amazon Prime

As the child of a very messy divorce, I’m a sucker for movies where a person’s previous mental trauma serves as armor against their current predicament, extreme as it may be. I think that’s the case here with Brent’s having to reckon with being the driver in the accident that killed his father and then the fallout with his mom becoming overprotective and possibly blaming him. Those emotional scars I think prepare him for his bugnuts encounter with Lola and her father; a person who hadn’t been forged in the flames of emotional turmoil may not have been as likely to survive being tortured by the girl whose prom invitation they politely turned down.

As with Tammy and the T-Rex, this is one that I would have passed over if not for the recommendation of this forum. Once Brent is in the hands of Lola, it rips. At first I was put off by the side-plot involving Brent’s friend and Mia getting high outside the prom, but upon further reflection I appreciate those scenes as a mini tension release valve in addition to tying together the prior victimization of Mia’s brother and her father’s subsequent (and very short-lived) quest for vengeance. Also I’m not a fan of torture in films, but this one did not bother me at all and I think at least a small part of that was due to the bleaching of Brent’s vocal cords preventing him from begging and pleading and screaming, which always makes the torture more unbearable to watch. Although his banshee howls were very off-putting anyway.

I'm probably being overly liberal with the spoiler tags, but better safe than sorry. That said, watch this movie!

Lessons learned:
A. There is something to be said in favor of not being popular enough to be asked to prom.
B. This I’ve already learned from drywall studs, but it’s important to apply pressure when drilling.
C. Everything is deadlier in Australia and Robin McLeavy is one of them.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

3) Horror Noire
Watched on Shudder

Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire

Horror cat pic as proof of challenge completion

I have been waiting for a while to watch this one, and the wait paid off! What a tight, historically important, and entertaining documentary. It could have been double its runtime and I still would have been glued to the screen; definitely going to have to check out the book on which it’s based.

I don’t really know what to say about it because the film itself is so succinct, but I will say that this should be essential viewing for both horror fans as well as film buffs in general. Hell, it should be essential for all humans period if we’re being honest.

One thought that did pass through my mind that I’m still conflicted about : when they discuss the casting of the leads in Night of the Living Dead and The Girl with All the Gifts, it’s explicitly stated in each case that said roles were not intended to be black characters, but rather the actors who ended up being cast auditioned better than anyone and just so happened to be black. While this is a great tribute to those actors, it made me a little disappointed to learn that those roles were not originally written as specifically black characters. But oh well, a win is a win.

Lessons learned:
A. Ken Foree and Keith David should narrate everything.
B. I think if Get Out had kept its original ending I would have fallen into an inescapable depression.
C. Blacula, Ganja and Hess, Bones…So many more films to add to my watchlist!

Anisocoria Feldman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

4) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Watched on Amazon Prime

Filling in yet another embarrassing gap in my horror CV. Some fantastic performances from Dennis Hopper and Bill Moseley combined with an overall grimy and eclectic aesthetic made for a first viewing that I really enjoyed for the most part. I see why it’s a classic, but I have no desire to revisit it unless I fast-forward through the dinner table scene with Stretch screaming nonstop and the family egging on grandpa to smash her head in. Maybe my ears are more sensitive than most and while I’m sure the movie had its intended effect on me with the cacophony, no thanks.

Lessons learned:
A. Leatherface’s chainsaw-over-the-head wiggle is reminiscent of an NES boss limited by 8-bit animation.
B. Stretch’s screams and shouts of “go away” early in the film are eerily similar to Kurt Cobain’s on "Scentless Apprentice."
C. I see what you did there Rob Zombie.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

5) Maniac Cop (1988)
Watched on Shudder

This is the polar opposite of a slow burn. poo poo gets real in the opening scene and gets realer and realer at a pretty fast clip. Tom Atkins cuts himself shaving as only Tom Atkins can, and the movie read my mind when I thought that it could have utilized Bruce Campbell more during the first half, only to hail to the king much more in the second half. Still could have used more Bruce though.

Given how much love Maniac Cop 2 has gotten in these threads, I’m quite excited to continue this journey. I’m actually still a little shaken at the third act’s big finale as it pertains to Bruce Campbell’s stunt guy’s safety, but I’m assuming everything was fine since I haven’t read otherwise. I can’t wait to see the insanity that is the sequel, but it’ll have to wait until tomorrow because one can only handle so many maniac cops in one day.

Lessons learned:
A. I’m wondering if this counts as a quasi-giallo given how many blade-unsheathings are emphasized as well as glove close-ups (though they’re white cloth and not black leather).
B. I will never tire of the term “paddy wagon.”
C. St. Patrick’s Day parades must go on, even in the midst of a serial killer. They must.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

People really don't like it when you cancel it for a pandemic either.

Tomato, tomato

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Holy poo poo, Sugar Hill looks amazing! Adding that to my list. In the meantime...

6) Maniac Cop 2 (1990)
Watched on Shudder

Well it’s official, I am adding this to my annual Christmas movie watchlist. Listing the highlights of this movie is like watching a Stefon skit on SNL. It’s got everything: a police psychologist handcuffed to a cop car stunting like Marty McFly on a hoverboard, skinny Mick Foley killing strippers, a recycled shower fight scene, Danny Trejo, a firing range that fires back, a closing credits rap. And the fire, my god the fire.

Lessons learned:
A. Watch Maniac Cop 2 if you haven’t. I wish I had sooner.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

7) Bride of Re-Animator (1990)
Watched on Amazon Prime

My first exposure to Jeffrey Combs was in The Frighteners when it was first released and he creeped me the gently caress out. I didn’t know his credentials at the time but he easily was the most memorable part of that movie to me. Years later, thanks to lurking in these horror threads, I watched him in Re-Animator and From Beyond and just fell in love with his manic yet somehow controlled performances. I’m sure this is no surprise to anyone here, but it made me lament the fact that I wasn’t exposed to his oeuvre sooner in my life; better late than never I guess. He really ramps it up in this one and I almost enjoy it more than his other performances because he is just so much fun to watch when he is seemingly unrestrained. I still need to catch Castle Freak and I am all ears if anyone can recommend anything else he’s been in.

Combs aside, I really enjoyed this movie and the rest of the cast. Bruce Abbott kept merging with Bill Pullman in my mind and his droopy blouse during the bride’s reanimation gave those scenes a Victorian vibe that I’m sure they were going for with all the other Bride of Frankenstein allusions. Speaking of which, goddamn the bride. That costume design, from the gauzy gown to the exposed sinew to the metal braces, was so inspired. And then her goopy decomposition was just the cherry on top. The brief view of West’s previous abominations coming back to haunt him was a thrill as well and something that other movies probably would have spent too much time on and thus diminished their creepiness.

Lessons learned:
A. RIP faux iguana, bat, and dog. I don’t even like to watch fake animals die.
B. I could watch a whole movie based around questionable science being performed in a MASH tent in Peru.
C. Suspension of disbelief aside, I don’t think bat wings could actually support the weight of a human head.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

8) Mermaid Down (2019)
Watched on Amazon Prime

My first inclinations were to poo poo all over this. The movie was sold to me as “A mermaid is pulled from the water, has her fin cut off, and is sent to a psychiatric institution when no one believes she is really a mermaid.” I still think someone could make a more interesting movie from that premise. Despite all my negativity towards this though, I had a pretty good time. The mermaid actress gives a good performance given the fact that she has no dialogue.

The Indiegogo page for this film says that 45 minutes had to be cut for distribution purposes, but to cut 45 minutes and leave in the ghost subplot was a big mistake and really accentuated how disjointed the final product ended up being. When the ghost first showed up it triggered so many red flags in my brain that too much was being crammed into one movie that I couldn’t really see past it for the rest of the runtime. What little payoff that subplot leads to did not justify its inclusion and really detracts from the coherence of the rest of the movie.

Unnecessary subplot aside, this movie jumps around more than House of Pain. I’m not sure whether to lay this at the feet of the director, writer, or editor, as everyone involved has a part to play in the choppiness of this. I will give the writer a little leeway, as I actually laughed out loud at the one patient grabbing a floor lamp to light her way into the lower level of the hospital and asking for an extension cord, only to be offered a flashlight. That said, they could have trimmed about half of the side characters who seemed to exist only as pastiches of mentally unhealthy young women, which might be the film’s greatest sin.

Lessons learned:
A. Psychiatrists are physically invincible.
B. Mermaids apparently have situational super strength that ebbs and flows as the plot demands.
C. If someone ever shoots a taser at you and misses, make sure you’re not standing near anything that conducts electricity.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

9) Frailty (2001)
Watched on Amazon Prime

This is the first, and possibly only, of my 31 first watches that I’ve actively avoided. My roommate in college raved about how great this movie was and that I had to see it. He had questionable taste in other films at the time, and so it became cemented in my mind that Frailty was likely not a good watch.

Boy howdy was I wrong. The family drama and religious zealotry are very well portrayed, and while I’ve always been at least a silent supporter of Matthew McConaughey, I now wish he hadn’t veered into romantic comedies in the early to mid 2000s and had stayed on this track of spooks. I’ll forgive him though, as he made bank and went on to stuff like Dallas Buyer’s Club and Mud. His turn here as both narrator and central figure is low-key and totally caught me off guard considering the direction his career would take immediately following this. Also, the child actors were quite good in this, especially young Fenton.

Gushing aside, I’m a little perturbed about the ending and what it implies, but that’s mainly due to my lack of religion I think. There may be one twist too many by the end of this for my taste. I won’t say anything more in case other people haven’t seen it yet.

Lessons learned (which is really just turning into things that stuck out to me):
A. Wow those shots of young Fenton running to the police station were bad.
B. I’m really curious if there were any cuts to the script that explained why the axe was named Otis.
C. Bill Paxton was so good. I miss him.

:spooky: Fran Challenge #2: Short Cuts :spooky:

Apologies for swiping some from other posters, but I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about!

Dylan (11:59)
This one is mostly skippable for unoriginal/unsurprising plotting, although the performances are top notch. Really does a great job of slowly ratcheting up the threat level.

Scratch (14:46)
This one hit me kinda hard. It feels like there’s a mental health and medication allegory here, coupled with a dash of gaslighting and stigma. The ending is somewhat predictable by the halfway point, but I think it’s satisfying nonetheless. I’m glad I blind-viewed this one.

I Feel Fantastic (2:31)
Definitely unsettling, but that won’t stop me from humming this in my head for the next three days. Hey hey heeeeey.

Unidentified (6:11)
A pretty cool idea that I could have spent more time with. This could have been a half-hour Twilight Zone episode.

Catcalls (8:24)
Required viewing for the Harvey Weinsteins of the world, Clockwork Orange style. I do feel bad for the main dude’s wife though; she didn’t deserve whatever happened to her.

Special Day (7:09)
Great ambience, a tight little story, and a creepy ending. Neat creature design that is almost spoiled by showing too much of it.

Oscar’s Bell (12:15)
Extra points for the pupper. The camerawork is fantastic and makes great use of the shadows. I did not see the ending coming, so kudos to that.

Too Many Cooks (11:11)
I didn’t include this in my total time watched, although I feel there are enough horror elements here to probably count it (Fran correct me if I’m wrong). The insidious nature of this one is something I enjoy coming back to from time to time and trying to catch background things that I hadn’t caught before. I didn’t see this when it originally aired, but I would imagine it wrecked the brains of anyone who did.

Total watching time: 1 hour, 3 minutes, 15 seconds

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Bill Paxton definitely would've been one of those guys who would be delivering great performances throughout his 60's and into his 70s(and maybe beyond) so it's a huge loss to film that he's not around to do that.

Totally. I haven't seen him in Near Dark so I might try to seek that one out for this challenge. Also, is Brain Dead (not Braindead) worth a watch? It's got Double Bills!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

10) Hubie Halloween (2020)
Watched on Netflix

I did not have high hopes. I gave up on Sandler movies post Wedding Singer and I haven’t seen much that makes me regret it.

The wife and I were in the mood for some light and mindless fare because 2020, and this was actually a fun little escape. It draws from a lot of Halloween traditions and treats them with respect. Nothing about the plot is surprising or original, and I found that comforting on a Friday night during my favorite month during a pandemic.

What I did not foresee was my nostalgia kicking in for Adam Sandler movies. I grew up thinking that Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were the epitome of comedic filmmaking. All the regulars are here: Buscemi, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, and an ageless Julie Bowen reprising her status as one of the best Sandler double-V-named leading women. This movie turned out to be just what I needed on this particular evening; it was a comfort food that I didn’t know was a comfort food.

My takeaways:
A. I was in love with Julie Bowen in Happy Gilmore. Somehow she’s even more beautiful almost 25 years later.
B. Will from Stranger Things may actually have a nice little movie career ahead of him.
C. Despite my faint praise for this, I think I’m going to go back to not watching new Sandler movies.

11) Audition (1999)
Watched on Shudder

This was part one of a double feature of films I hadn’t seen but knew all about the ending through cultural osmosis. Honestly the torture scene was relatively tame in comparison to the imitators that it birthed. I would love to have been at TIFF when it first screened, before anyone knew anything about it.

The only other Miike I’ve seen is Happiness of the Katakuris, and hoo boy is this different from that. I’m now intrigued enough to check out his other fare, which I hope maintains the same eclectic nature (I’m pretty sure this is the case given what I’ve read on this very forum). Audition’s first 90 minutes really lulls you into a sense of familiarity with a How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days kind of setup; that is, it’s the classic rom-com setup of man obtains woman’s affection through questionable means, woman finds out, man makes amends and they live a happy life. It feels like a gamble to devote so much of your movie to the setup, but man does it pay off. I wish more filmmakers were given the opportunity to totally subvert expectations like this.

My takeaways:
A. To me the auditions themselves were almost more uncomfortable than the torture. Aoyama didn’t necessarily deserve what he got, but these scenes emphasize that he’s not devoid of skeeviness.
B. I thought it was cute that Asami quit ballet because her hip was “damaged.” Clever phrasing given how this turns out.
C. Aoyama’s nightmare visions after being drugged might be my favorite part. That dream logic is intense and so integral to the finale of the movie.

12) Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Watched on Shudder

Part two of my double feature of films I hadn’t seen but knew about their iconic endings. The final shot of this definitely lives up to its reputation, and the movie that precedes it really excels at setting it up. I was never a summer camper, but this portrayal feels true to reality for the time period. Both campers and counselors can be dicks when not overseen by parental authority, and the campers themselves seemed even more realistic from an age standpoint (unlike the “teens” of the Friday the 13th series).

Speaking of the kids’ ages, uuuuughh the sleazy cook. The comments about “they’re never too young” made me wish he met a more horrible end than what he actually did. I guess it’s a cheap and easy way to establish the guy as a heel and thus justify his demise, but gross.

My takeaways:
A. You guys weren’t loving kidding about that gigantic stock pot. Totally impractical.
B. Having seen the Aunt Martha avs from a previous October challenge, I was hoping for much more of her than what I actually got. That just won’t do!
C. I’m almost tempted to check out the sequels, but I just don’t know where you go after that ending.

13) Waxwork (1988)
Watched on Amazon Prime

In which Billy Peltzer plays a redeemable yuppie rear end in a top hat. Also don’t question his masculinity; it seems to be the crux of this whole ordeal. Total 80’s cheese from the effects to the acting. I’m not gonna lie, I was drinking while I watched this and I think that’s the proper setting.

My takeaways:
A. David Warner!
B. Best handicapped character since Silver Bullet!
C. Swordfighting plus guns!

14) The Invisible Man (2020)
Watched on HBO Max

Gaslighting: The Movie. I actually wonder how this would have been received if it hadn’t had the baggage of the title. It has no connection (that I’m aware of) to the original other than the fact that there’s a dude who’s invisible. If it had been titled something like, I dunno, She Sees Things, the tone of the movie is totally different. The problem with calling it The Invisible Man is that all ambiguity surrounding Cecilia’s claims is lost; you know that dude is invisible and that she’s not crazy.

As always, Elizabeth Moss is a goddamn powerhouse. Going into this knowing that it was a two hour affair, I felt in good hands with her being the primary focus of the film. Despite its runtime, I don’t feel that it ever drags, which is a testament to both Moss as well as fantastic cinematography that really sets a tone. You’re always guessing if that negative space is truly empty. This film deserves the attention that it has gotten; shame it was released at the onset of a pandemic.

My takeaways:
A. The comments made by the guy at Cecilia’s job interview were almost more cringeworthy than Adrian’s gaslighting. All beautiful women are required to go to Paris? gently caress you.
B. I mentioned the cinematography, but the sound design is just as effective in forcing you to pay close attention to whether or not Adrian is present.
C. Michael Dorman! I love Patriot and was just waiting for someone to ask him how he was doing so he could answer Pretty Good.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

15) Possession (1981)
Watched on Archive.org

I really don’t feel right writing about this film having only seen it once. I’m going to count it as one of my 31 first watches, so I feel obligated to say something about it. This was just raw emotion and the most honest depiction of a ruined marriage as I’ve seen in cinema. There was a lot of dialogue that I missed either because of accents or ambient noise, but it almost didn’t matter because the intent of the director came through regardless.

My takeaways:
A. This movie is kinetic. Sam Neill can’t sit still; he’s always rocking. Isabelle Adjani wringing her hands in that one scene. It was like watching my own anxiety made manifest on the TV screen. So uncomfortable.
B. “I can’t exist by myself because I’m afraid of myself.” Oh man this is too real to me. See A.
C. The acoustics of the subway tunnel during the abortion scene. See A.
D. Heinrich provides some much needed levity and is just ridiculous. Thank you Heinrich.
E. The different depictions of the creature. In particular when Heinrich stumbles upon it and it appears like a fleshy bloody plant in the corner. I’ve seen reviewers call this film Lovecraftian, and maybe it is, but to me a creature with tentacles isn’t automatically a reference to old HP. This is much more than that.
F. If I meet my 31 new-to-me requirement for this challenge, I intend to rewatch this before the end of the month.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

16) The Changeling (1980)
Watched on Shudder

(Goddamn I did not expect so many Angelina Jolie Google search results)

I went into this expecting a slow atmospheric burn. And it is that to a degree in the first 45 minutes, but it still chugs along at a pace that really holds your attention. Individual scenes gallop along at a relatively brisk pace, and those that go on longer do so with a building sense of tension and dread. I actually expected more drawn out scenes of haunted mansion exploration, but it flips pretty quickly to a cold case procedural. That’s right – George C. Scott, composer, makes a pretty good detective. It’s quite similar to his role in Exorcist 3, and now I want to watch Exorcist 3 again.

The third act is exquisite and ties together the first two acts consisting of haunted house and police procedural so drat well. The titular changeling was not at all what I expected having not seen this until now, but man does it deliver. I’ll probably catch poo poo for saying this, but given the theme of grief and how it connects the protagonist to the history of the mansion, I would be very interested in a reinterpretation of this directed by Ari Aster. Give me more widower’s guilt, more creepy attics, and more 60 year-old men with 30-something love interests. Except for that last part.

My takeaways:
A. Now I understand why that wheelchair is on the poster. Creepy as gently caress.
B. LOL at the police carrying skeletal remains in a giant goldfish bag.
C. Sketchy politicians in 1980 rival those of 2020. This has aged well.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I Know What You Did Last Summer
If you decide to rewatch this again for the next Challenge, apparently the Faculty of Horror podcast recorded a commentary track for it recently, if that's of any interest.

Several Goblins posted:

closing on my first house and packing.
This phrase will give me more nightmares than any movie I watch this month. Hope everything goes smoothly!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Fran Challenge #3: Feardotcom
:spooky: Watch a movie that utilizes advanced technology as a horror concept, but the technology is archaic by today's standards. :spooky:
I saw Videodrome was mentioned as a possibility, but will it for sure count for this challenge? I mean, I'm going to watch it at some point anyway, because shame on me for not having seen it already.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

17) Videodrome (1983): :spooky:Fran Challenge #3:spooky:
Rented on Amazon Prime

My first experience with Videodrome was at a tender young age, I don’t remember exactly when but probably somewhere between five and eight. My dad had rented it and was watching it alone in the living room while I was probably in my bedroom playing with action figures or something. I had no idea what he was watching, but something drew me toward it and all I remember was a man saying “Open up,” and then I saw another man unbuttoning his shirt. For some reason that was enough for me and I tucked into the next room because I didn’t want to see what was coming, so I asked my dad what was happening and his response was “He’s opening up.” I don’t even remember if I caught a glimpse of the stomach vagina because I instantly retreated from the vicinity, not necessarily in terror but with the knowledge that I did not want to see what the hell was going to happen next. End of memory.

Now that I think about it, this may be my earliest memory of being exposed to a horror film. I may have been even younger at the time, as I was born the year this was released. I don’t remember a ton from that age range, but I remember my dad’s response. At some point I found out the name of the movie and I think I’ve had an aversion to it ever since. I’ve since seen a lot of other Cronenberg: The Dead Zone, The Fly, eXistenZ, A History of Violence. But not until now have I seen Videodrome, and it is easily my favorite of his films so far.

I’m relying on personal anecdote because I don’t think I have much analysis to add that hasn’t already been written; besides, I think the movie’s themes are relatively on-the-nose given the era in which it was released. What it did make me think of is David Foster Wallace’s essay E. Unibus Pluram (1993) and to a lesser extent Infinite Jest. That’s right, I’m the white male who just dropped Wallace into the conversation; I am not a proud man. I’m not going to go into detail, but there are a lot of similarities in Videodrome and its commentary on television and its relationship with society that I think are shared in the aforementioned writings. Wallace doesn’t utilize as much BDSM in his analyses, and I think they are lesser for it.

In a nutshell, I loving loved this. I feel a little conflicted because I’m not a fan of what James Woods has become, but I will love Debbie Harry forever and she cancels him out as far as I’m concerned. Also, continuing along the lines of my personal experience, I work in eyecare and enjoyed Barry Convex and Spectacular Optical. I long to attend a trade show like the one at the climax of this movie. I don’t usually do ratings, but this one is 20/20. As with my viewing of Possession, I will try to write up a more intellectual review after I’ve seen it a second time. I’m just blown away.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

18) Knife+Heart (2018): :spooky: Fran Challenge #4 Scream Queen :spooky:
Watched on Amazon Prime

It’s got the colors, it’s got the mystery and intrigue, and it’s got a bangin’ score by M83. I think I’m more a fan of homages to giallo than I am the originals. The killer’s motivation is a little bit flimsy and the forest/cemetery scenes in the middle threaten to slow it down a bit, but the style more than makes up for it. Anne’s compassion for her actors and her quest to track down their killer add a believable emotional core, and the fear that the actors/crew express (particularly Mouth of Gold) after the murders start happening is devastatingly true to the real life fear that the LGBTQ+ community has lived with since time immemorial.

Archie was a fun character and I’m glad he survived to become a satyr at the end. Also split-screen cum shot, didn’t expect that. Definitely will recommend to the more conservative people in my life.

19) L’Inferno (1911): :spooky: Fran Challenge #5 Silent Scream :spooky:
Watched on Youtube

This is essentially a series of vignettes illustrating the different circles of hell from Dante’s Divine Comedy with title cards preceding each vignette that explain what you’re about to see. This is not scary, but some of the sets are relatively unsettling due to the primitive effects and camera work. The demon costumes are surprisingly convincing and effective. Lucifer chewing on bodies is shown for long enough that it becomes uncomfortable. Nude bodies being blown about in droves provide a neat visual.

I recommend it as a historical object, and for a movie over 100 years old it’s quite watchable; the Tangerine Dream score in the version I watched really added an extra level to it.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

20) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): :spooky: Fran Challenge #6 Tomb of the Blind Spots :spooky:
Watched on Amazon Prime

Man what a perfect encapsulation of paranoia and anxiety and the old saw “Just because you’re paranoid don’t mean they’re not after you.” I think I brushed this one off for so long because the Donald Sutherland meme is so ubiquitous that I guess I assumed that that moment was the only memorable thing about this. Nope. I think I’ll remember it most for the rapid escalation and sheer hopelessness that the protagonists face from almost the very beginning. Poor Elizabeth goes through absolute hell for the entire movie.

The dog-man hybrid caught me off guard in the most WTF way, as did Elizabeth’s sudden decomposition toward the end. Sutherland, Adams, Goldblum, and Nimoy all show off their chops as expected, with Goldblum in particular really playing up the self-absorbed rear end in a top hat. And I thought Goldblum’s wife’s hypothesis on how the aliens might be spreading because of all the pollution and nasty things we put into our bodies all the time, coupled with Sutherland as health department employee, provide an undertone of environmentalism.

My biggest takeaway is how much of a testament it is to the film that even when everyone knows the ending through cultural osmosis, it still sent shivers down my spine. Now that I am no longer embarrassed of not having seen this, I can move on to the 90’s remake that I’ve heard decent things about and just so happens to have a screenplay by Stuart Gordon!

21) Body Snatchers (1993): :spooky: Fran Challenge #7 Dearly Departed :spooky:
Rented on Amazon Prime

Of the 21 first-time watches I’ve done up to now, this was easily the most fun. This movie just wastes no time whatsoever; it just moves. I’m glad I watched it right after the 1978 adaptation, because I don’t know how many of the callbacks I would have caught otherwise, including the garbage trucks and Forrest Whitaker screaming into the phone about how they know his name.

Setting it on a military base really puts the themes front-and-center, almost to a fault. Assimilation, conformity, power in numbers; it all dovetails pretty well with the teen daughter and young son trying to fit into a new community. The idea of the stepmother replacing the mother (only to be replaced herself) is great and really taps into that instinctual resentment that a lot of kids of divorce feel when their parents remarry. And speaking of mothers, Jenn’s mom’s transformation from daytime drunk to pod person rings eerily of the Stepford Wives.

Also present is the underlying theme of polluting the environment, this time with an EPA agent vs. a health department inspector. I guess now I’ll have to read the original novel to see if this was intentional or just something that both the 1978 and 1993 movies happened to touch on.

Apropos of nothing, it’s nice to see a Tim on screen as a hunky chopper pilot played by not-Mario-Lopez. It was just one of the many things in this film that brought a smile to my face, which included that bathtub scene (reusing the whooshing sound from ’78 is something I probably would have missed had I not just watched it) as well as Meg Tilly’s brief monologue and shiver-inducing scream that almost reached the level of tornado siren.

I know Gordon co-wrote the screenplay, but I wonder how much of the subject matter he contributed; the aforementioned bathtub scene just feels like him. Just a fun, fun movie that I highly recommend.

Anisocoria Feldman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2020

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

22) Shark Night aka Untitled Shark Thriller 3D (2011): :spooky: Fran Challenge #8 When Animals Attack! :spooky:
Watched on Netflix

I wasn’t aware until after the fact that this was directed by David R. Ellis of Snakes on a Plane fame, and that it was his last film before he died. For that reason, I have to go easier on it than I otherwise would have.

First, I’ll vent about what I didn’t like. It’s a 2011 movie that felt more like a 2000 movie; that is, multiple pop rock montages early on, a “your mom” joke, and male gaze running wild. No one makes a good decision, the local yokels are extra yokely, and a former American Idol is exploited in all the worst ways. Donal Logue is collecting a paycheck and doing the best he can, but the best he can isn’t good enough.

Now, for the good. It looks slick. David R. Ellis was a good director. He had a good effects group behind him as well, as the sharks actually look really good for the most part (with a few glaring exceptions). The actors, despite the illogical actions that the script dictates, do a good job. I was highly skeptical 30 minutes in regarding whether or not I could sit through the rest of this, but in the end I was not disappointed, mostly due to…

The post-credits rap! It’s self-aware, very Lonely Islandish, and apparently the scenes in which the rapping took place were filmed during the filming of the movie itself, which I would assume means that the cast had this prepared before filming even began. I would not recommend this movie, but I would recommend the rap video, which you can’t really appreciate unless you watch the movie, so here you go.

23) Fright Night (1988)
Watched on Amazon Prime

I was relatively bored for about the first hour. The movie tips its hand a little too soon in revealing that Dandrige really is a vampire, and I feel like more tension would have been generated in an “is he or isn’t he” scenario. As it is, there is still some entertainment to be had from Brewster trying to convince everyone around him of what he (and we) already know. If it weren’t for the back half of this, I’d have trouble recommending it to anyone. Luckily, Richard Edlund had just wrapped his effects work on Ghostbusters and swooped in to save the third act with some truly inspired work. Cole’s goopy downfall, the Dandrige bat attack, and the final battle itself all transform this from being mostly underwhelming to actually admirable.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Marcy D’Arcy as a sex pot, and that’s not wrong, but Chris Sarandon just oozes charisma and sex appeal to the point that it overshadows anyone else’s attractiveness. Roddy McDowall is a treat as a Vincent Price stand-in and his character arc is really fun to root for, since Charley Brewster is too much of a wet rag to act as a hero himself. And while I’m speaking of the main cast, Evil Ed’s character could (and maybe should) have grated on me more than he did, but in the end I found myself enjoying him and his transformation was extremely well realized.

I’ve heard conflicting things about the recent remake and have not seen it, but I’m really curious whether Colin Farrell can out-hunk Chris Sarandon and how David Tennant pulls off the role of Peter Vincent. Plus it has Anton Yelchin and Imogen Poots pre-Green Room! How is this one not more talked about?

24) Psycho (1960)
Rented on Amazon Prime

Anthony Perkins is goddamn incredible as Norman Bates. As a first watch for me, having absorbed essentially all the plot, high points, controversy, and imagery about this movie, I was still blown away. The way Perkins alternates between affable manchild and suspicious threat through only facial expressions, all while popping candy corn (which I learned he improvised) holds your attention completely every time he is on the screen.

The shower scene lives up to the hype, but I was impressed even more by the close-up of Janet Leigh’s eye followed by an agonizing zoom-out. Everything is so enhanced by the lighting and the contrast provided by shooting in black and white. I can’t wait to rewatch it.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

But none of that really matters. Because Mechagodzilla is so loving cool. Like, if you haven't seen the movie you're probably thinking, yeah, robot Godzilla, cool. But you have no idea how cool Mechagodzilla is. This is his theme song. Listen to Mechagodzilla's theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYWJDZdLORA

Mechagodzilla is so cool.
This is jaunty as gently caress and you've convinced me to watch this only to see if Mechagodzilla wears a top hat. Please no spoilers.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

25) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
Watched on Shudder

I’m not quite as keen on this as some. I’ll concede that it is competently put together. Obviously Clancy Brown is awesome if somewhat underused. It all just felt so predictable, and didn’t provide anything that Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow or other anthologies haven't provided. It’s four morality tales, and after the first (extremely short) one, you know exactly where the rest are going to go. In better productions, this predictability can be overcome by good performances or unique filming techniques or subversive plots. Here, except for the last 20 minutes or so, everything just felt so reheated and bland to me.

The tone was a bit interesting in that for a lot of it, most notably the Monty Dark and Sam interstitials, there’s a lightness that almost feels like a Saturday morning teen horror special. This is interrupted by fun stuff like exploding dicks and head smashification by way of a TV. I enjoyed these tonal shifts as well as the ending, which packed about three twists into 5 minutes. Ultimately I’d say it’s worth a watch if you’re in the mood for something light that you can give half your attention to. I probably expected too much based on positive reviews, plus I’m still reeling from my first watch of Psycho so drat near anything was going to be a step down.

One thing I did appreciate a lot was in the second segment with the frat bro. When the pregnant guy finally makes his way to the home of his soon-to-be baby-mama, her parents have seen this happen so many times that they are almost numb to it. I appreciated this reversal of how society tends to treat young pregnant women, not just with a lack of sympathy but with a sense of "well you did this to yourself now loving deal with it." The exploding dick was just the icing on the cake.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I would appreciate a wild card recommendation. I'm currently in the middle of Threads, and I'd like something equally bleak; doesn't need to be a docudrama. Please make me regret this request.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Punishment Park
Challenge accepted! Thank you very much!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

26) Threads (1984): :spooky: Fran Challenge #9 TerrorVision :spooky:
Watched on Shudder

Oof.

This starts off like a mix of Cloverfield and the Chernobyl series, and ends up more like a Ken Burns documentary on Pompeii with a dash of Children of Men. I was very engaged at the beginning as the narrative weaved the news reports of US vs. Russia in Iran into the background as we follow the more personal story of boy impregnates girl and subsequently decides to wed her. The awkward meeting of the couple’s parents and the search for an affordable flat contrast so well with the larger global build-up that is always looming within earshot.

poo poo hits the fan at just the right time before the personal drama gets stale, and there’s so much poo poo flying into such a big fan that no one is left unsoiled. The whole thing goes pear-shaped so quickly that I was just left gawking. I mean the first hour is like Here are these two youngsters facing adversity while international tempers are flaring and then loving BOOM have some misery porn and stare at the screen with your jaw hanging agape at the tonal shift. We then come dangerously close to Riddley Walker territory by the end and if they ever make a Threads 2 it might as well be an adaptation of A Canticle for Leibowitz.

I really enjoyed this.

Maybe it’s perverse, but watching something so drat bleak made me feel a little better about 2020. At least our flesh isn’t sloughing off and we aren’t acquiring instantaneous cataracts, he said with two more months looming in the year. I doubt I will ever watch this again, but I came to it at the right time. It also led me to ask for recommendations of something similarly dire, which leads me to…

27) Punishment Park (1971): :spooky: Fran Challenge #12 Ourorboros :spooky:
Watched on Youtube
Recommended by Gripweed and seconded by MacheteZombie!

Oh deary me. I wasn’t as taken aback by the hopelessness here as I was by Threads, but 50 years after it was filmed this is much too resonant. It’s bleak to be sure, but whereas the bleakness of nuclear fallout and the relative improbability of that lent me some comfort, the timeliness of this one left me unsettled. We have an alternate history in which Nixon arrests draft dodgers, war critics, and civil dissenters, and then gives them the option of either federal prison sentences or three days in Punishment Park, an area of the California desert that reaches over 110 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and the low 60s at night. If these “convicts” can reach an American flag that’s 53 miles away (that’s two marathons) with no water or food, then their sentence is commuted. Oh also these hippies are being hunted by Army reserves and police-in-training two hours after being given a head start.

The jump cuts between those currently enduring Punishment Park and the courtroom scenes of the group that will follow them keep things interesting. The politics of this film are not subtle, but the impassioned pleas of those on trial give a human face to the political views. This is 1970 in America: they had police brutality, anti-feminism, overt racism. Praise be that we’ve moved on from that.

Throughout its swift runtime, I did continually ask myself whether I should consider this a horror movie. Horrific events are definitely occurring at intervals here, but its status as a pseudo-documentary kind of helps you keep your distance from everything. Then when we see the documentarian himself becoming so disturbed by what he’s seeing that he begins pleading with these officials who think they’re in the Most Dangerous Game, and the lead-up to the ending that is reminiscent of the end of Night of the Living Dead, in which those who have gone through hell to save themselves are rewarded with bullets to the head, I felt much more certain that this is horror.

Thanks to SA posters Gripweed and MacheteZombie for giving me what I asked for. You have made me regret it.

e: I meant that last part in the most grateful way possible. I love you goons.

Anisocoria Feldman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 22, 2020

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Well I toxxed myself with a tarman tattoo but I happily gave the artist license to just riff on the idea, and walked out with this.

Behold my horror marathon 2020 commemorative tattoo

Goddamn that's awesome

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Catching up on my challenges...

28) Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993): :spooky: Fran Challenge #10 Run This poo poo Into The Ground :spooky:
Watched on Amazon Prime

Curt wants to move to Seattle and be in a band. Can you guess what decade this was made?

There was some really good discussion in the Bracketology thread about this one. I really would have liked more time with Julie before her transformation as I think her fate would have been more tragic with a little more time to develop her as a character. That being said, what becomes of her is still awful and the metaphor of cutting in order to numb the hunger she feels may hit a little close to home for anyone with self-image or addiction issues. If you can get past that, she looks amazing post-zombification and I think everyone of a certain age range has seen this sitting on the shelf at Blockbuster and thought “Boy howdy would I like to see that one.”

The film itself brings the usual Yuzna goopiness, which is fun. But mylanta does the middle of this feel unnecessary or padded. From the moment they enter the sewer all the way through Julie’s conversion, it just draaags. Poor River Man, he popped up just to provide a refuge for the protagonists and wax philosophical for a few minutes only to become a loving horrendous cyborg by the end. Dude didn’t deserve what he got, and what he got was some body horror that Cronenberg might even golf clap at. There’s something about the melding of metal and flesh that gives me the heebie jeebies and has stopped me from checking out Tetsuo.

Overall, it was okay. Probably not something I’ll revisit any time soon.

29) Eyes Without A Face (1960): :spooky: Fran Challenge #11 Öskur heyrðust um allan heim :spooky:
Rented on Amazon Prime

This gave me such a Twilight Zone vibe. It’s a relatively simple story once you learn what’s going on in the first 30 minutes. A grief-stricken father, with the help of Science, wishes to restore his daughter’s face after a vehicular accident that it’s implied the father caused. What is his true motivation? Is it the well-being of his daughter and her future life? Is it atoning for his poor driving skills? Or is it the furthering of the experimentation he’s been doing on the dozen dogs in his secret basement? The answer is yes. The surgery scene is very well done and you can really believe that a girl’s facial tissue is being methodically removed with great care.

Drawing attention to eyes in the title of the film is a good move. Christiane does so much emoting through just her eyes; the mask she wears may be frozen in place the entire time, but you would never know it from watching her eyes. Her evolution through the film from willing participant to revolted with the whole process is portrayed through the eyes, with the exception of the second act in which she isn’t even really herself (or rather, her face isn’t her own). I almost hate to draw this comparison, but the dynamic between the professor and his wife is eerily similar to Epstein and Ghislaine, only they lure in girls for their face rather than…well.

If there’s anything I can really knock here it’s the repetitive score, which just doesn’t properly fit the tone of the film and this is only made more obvious by its overuse. This is a small qualm though as everything else is great. The black and white is gorgeous on the Criterion version. Give this a watch if you haven’t.

And with that, just one more Fran challenge to go and two more movies to meet my 31 new watches goal!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

30) John Carpenter’s Vampires (1998)
Watched on Amazon Prime

I think I’m James Woodsed-out for the year.

Jack Crow is a walking Levi’s ad with a crossbow and a hatred for vampires due to prior family issues. His crew includes Doughnut Baldwin and a bunch of randos who lay waste to a vampire nest, only to then get wasted on booze and then get wasted by a master vampire. Jack Crow asks the Catholic church which raised him why they have forsaken him, only to be further forsaken. Jack Crow succeeds despite this.

My poor Sheryl Lee. She’s given at least a little more agency than she had as Laura Palmer, but most of that is slapped out of her by a lesser Baldwin. I’ll try not to hold that against this movie, but there are too many other things to hold against it, including a horrible score and James Woods. The cinematography, however, is top notch and really makes you appreciate the oppressiveness of the southwestern sunlight. I also can’t hate on Father Adam, who’s just so cute and becomes a badass in a very short amount of time. But still, it’s hard to forgive the way Sheryl Lee is treated here.

It’s like From Dusk Til Dawn with a head injury. I can’t say I wasn’t entertained, but I was also a few beers in when I watched it. Overall, it’s one of those movies that I didn’t regret watching, but I will actively avoid ever watching again.

31) Dial code Santa Claus aka Deadly Games (1989): :spooky: Fran Challenge #13 It’s The Time of the Season For Spook-a-Doodles :spooky:
Watched on Shudder

Young Thomas lives in a rad mansion with his mother and grandpa. He’s not sure whether or not he believes in Santa Claus and his classmates have instilled some doubt in him. As an only child with an endless amount of toys and an apparently genius IQ, he’s well equipped to face down Santa on Christmas Eve…except this Pere Noel is actually a crazy person with a vendetta. After Thomas realizes that this intruder is not benevolent, he goes full Rambo/Macaulay Culkin and brings the pain to protect his half-blind diabetic gramps.

I certainly did not expect a Rocky montage right from the get-go with a Christmas-themed ripoff of Eye of the Tiger. It certainly sets the tone for the eventual face-off between Thomas and faux Santa, showing all of the resources that this precocious pre-teen has at his disposal. These include a portable Simplisafe camera system that he wears on his wrist which I’m sure would have been on the Christmas lists of every US child in 1990 had this been an American release, a la the Talkboy of Kevin McCallister.

Seriously though, the mansion that Thomas and his family live in is geometrically insane; it’s like House of Leaves. Here’s a fridge that leads to a secret passage that contains the toys of all the previous generations of Thomas’s family. Here’s a Pacman-like maze of hallways. Here’s a weight room with a sauna that has the world’s weakest handle. And hidden doors out the wazoo!

The only thing less believable than the house blueprint is the resilience of crazy Santa. Dude takes darts to the neck and immolation and gunshot wounds like a champ and keeps on ticking. The comparisons to Home Alone are apt in that this guy is comically invincible. The third act setpieces in which he just absorbs punishment only to keep on truckin’ are a little disjointed. Well, a LOT disjointed. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the battle between youthful innocence and batshit crazy random dude, and might make this an annual Xmas watch.

And my personal goal of 31 new watches plus all Fran challenges is complete. For a cherry on top, I watched 2020's Host to see what all the hubbub was about. It's not bad! I think as a future historical artifact of the year of COVID it's easy to grant it more leeway than other films of its ilk; that is, this is more or less Paranormal Activity: Zoom Edition. I think the story behind how the actors were directed as a result of the pandemic elevates it and rightfully so. Plus, it's runtime is just right.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

32) Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Watched on Youtube

I am so embarrassed that I hadn’t seen this before today. I almost used it for the blind spot Fran challenge, but wasn’t sure that the Youtube version was legit at the time. My whole goal for this month was to fill in the gaps of my horror knowledge, and this was a big one given its status on pretty much any list you find online. The 2+ hour runtime kept me from taking a chance on the Youtube upload, but I couldn’t find it streaming anywhere else so today I gave it a shot.

Just genius. Zombies as mindless consumers wandering around a deserted mall? I used to be one of those zombies! Having not seen this before, I assumed that 90% of it took place in that mall, but I’ll be damned if they don’t take a little while getting there. The opening sequences may have even been my favorite part; I loved how you are dumped right into the poo poo from minute one. The zombie apocalypse has already been going on for weeks, the government is trying to get a handle on it while also learning the rules of how it works (no relation to current affairs), and there is essentially mass panic. There is a sense of dread and inevitability throughout the whole movie, and those feelings are kicked into high gear from the first scenes in the television station.

There is so much nuance to everything, from the deeply human moments with the main cast to the social commentary to the effects. This might be a perfect film. I already can’t wait to rewatch it and check out the Snyder remake. To top it all off I now know where the Robot Chicken end credits song comes from. And where MacheteZombie got his avatar. poo poo.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

33) The Blob (1988)
Rented on Amazon Prime

This movie is mean. I was pretty surprised when it establishes very early on that absolutely no one is safe.

A meteorite filled with malevolent berry cobbler falls to Earth and wreaks havoc on a small football-loving town. Before the cavalry can be called in, multiple townsfolk are grossly dissolved before the alien being can slip into the sewers and travel unseen beneath the streets. Did I say alien being? Because that’s not quite the truth, as the cavalry of hazmat-suited government scientists soon reveal to a select few of those being forced to quarantine. Can the townspeople thwart the goo? Hopefully an outcast in a leather jacket with a motorcycle and a cheerleader can save the day!

I am so glad I didn’t see this at a young age because it would have hosed. Me. Up. The effects are top notch and gooey and melty and one guy’s lower half looks a little too much like cheese pizza for me to eat one of those again anytime soon. In a way it’s probably good that the movie doesn’t give you much of a chance to get attached to many characters because seeing them meet their end in such gruesome ways could have made this a real downer. As it is, the corroding bodies depicted are the best part.

There are themes of distrust of the government and Main Street mentality and rugged individualism at the end of Reagan’s reign. Those who argue for a libertarian reading of Ghostbusters probably have a case for that here as well. I don’t feel like making that argument because ultimately, to me, this is just a dumb violent movie with a completely expendable cast and it hates you. Outside of the goop and a young Shawnee Smith pre-Saw, there’s probably not much of a reason to check this out.

34) Apollo 18 (2011)
Watched on Netflix

The real horror here is the Harvey Weinstein credit at the end, overlaid with a haunting piano rendition of “We Three Kings of Orient Are.”

Three astronauts in the early 1970’s are tasked with an unofficial mission to the lunar surface, but NASA may not have been entirely forthcoming with the mission details. The two astronauts tasked with actually traversing the moonscape find evidence of a previous Russian operation and eventually come into contact with the alien presence that led to the failure of said operation. This being an unofficial NASA joint, the only reason we have a record of any of this is through footage shot by the spacemen themselves which has since come to light from...someone.

The first-person shots are quite annoying because of a strobe/flash gimmick that keeps you in the dark most of the time and continually sets up the next jump scare. There are moments of genuine creepiness and building tension without jump scares, and I glimpsed what I wanted this movie to be. What it is though, is overly reliant on the grunge verse/chorus formula of quiet quiet quiet LOUD. Found footage in space is such a neat concept that in itself can instill dread through loneliness and the darkness of one’s surroundings. Instead of focusing on these things, Apollo 18 opts to present itself as a quasi-possession story sprinkled with jump scares.

Overall I didn’t hate it, but man this is wasted potential. The first half had me totally on board, but the back half is a total letdown.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

How is that not reason enough?

Basebf555 posted:

Goop is really all I need. You'd be surprised by how many filmmakers don't want to have to work with goop, but it really makes a big difference!

Okay okay you win. 10/10 for goop!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

35) Fright Night (2011)
Rented on Amazon Prime

I can’t decide whether I liked this more than the original or not. From a narrative standpoint it’s based off the original script, but a few plot points are presented in a different order or not dwelled upon as long. Evil Ed’s appearances and much more sparse but concentrated. Brewster is no longer a total wet blanket of a human being. Peter Vincent is a magician cut from the cloth of Criss Angel as opposed to a former horror host. So there are some departures to be sure, but there is enough of the DNA of the original to make it immediately recognizable and that’s part of the reason I think it’s a coin flip on which one I enjoy more. Also I have no nostalgia for the 1988 version because I only just saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago.

In terms of the cast, I have to put 2011 over 1988. As much as I loved Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowall, the depth of the bench in the remake is just too much to overcome. Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, Toni Collette, David Tennant (who is unrecognizable at first), and Colin Farrell all provide good to great performances with essentially the same material that was used in the original. Colin Farrell’s Jerry isn’t quite as suave as Chris Sarandon’s, but there’s a feral nature to him that simultaneously almost makes him more attractive from an animal magnetism viewpoint, but also makes him that much more threatening to those who know what he really is. The “can I borrow a six pack of beer” scene in which he just stands in the doorway talking to Brewster is outstanding. His eyes dart around the inside of the house like a wolf constantly on the prowl for something to pounce on; this scene actually made me wonder what kind of movie this would have been had it swerved from the original and made Jerry a werewolf rather than a vampire. The silver bullet scene later on only reinforced this thought; I think it could have worked, both for fans of the 1988 version as well as newcomers.

In spite of how much I love the 2011 cast, the original version wins in the effects category by a large margin. The final battle of 1988 kicks the rear end of 2011, both in ratcheting up the tension as well as delivering on some gnarly practical effects. I’m not saying that the CGI in 2011 is bad per se, but as I’m sure is the popular opinion here, practical always wins out over CGI with rare exception.

If you haven’t seen either, I highly recommend both. And I even more highly recommend watching the original right before the remake.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

1) Tanny and the Teenage T-Rex (1994)
2) The Loved Ones (2009)
3) Horror Noire (2019): :spooky: Fran Challenge #1 Horror Noire
4) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
5) Maniac Cop (1988)
6) Maniac Cop 2 (1990)
7) Bride of Re-Animator (1990)
8) Mermaid Down (2019)
A bunch of shorts for :spooky: Fran Challenge #2 Short Cuts
9) Frailty (2001)
10) Hubie Halloween (2020)
11) Audition (1999)
12) Sleepaway Camp (1983)
13) Waxwork (1988)
14) The Invisible Man (2020)
15) Possession (1981)
16) The Changeling (1980)
17) Videodrome (1983): :spooky: Fran Challenge #3 Feardotcom
18) Knife+Heart (2018): :spooky: Fran Challenge #4 Scream Queen!
19) L’Inferno (1911): :spooky: Fran Challenge #5 Silent Scream
20) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): :spooky: Fran Challenge #6 Tomb of the Blind Spots
21) Body Snatchers (1993): :spooky: Fran Challenge #7 Dearly Departed
22) Shark Night aka Untitled Shark Thriller 3D (2011): :spooky: Fran Challenge #8 When Animals Attack!
23) Fright Night (1988)
24) Psycho (1960)
25) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
26) Threads (1984): :spooky: Fran Challenge #9 TerrorVision
27) Punishment Park (1971): :spooky: Fran Challenge #12 Ourorboros
28) Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993): :spooky: Fran Challenge #10 Run This poo poo Into The Ground
29) Eyes Without A Face (1960): :spooky: Fran Challenge #11 Öskur heyrðust um allan heim
30) John Carpenter’s Vampires (1998)
31) Dial code Santa Claus aka Deadly Games (1989): :spooky: Fran Challenge #13 It’s The Time of the Season For Spook-a-Doodles
32) Dawn of the Dead (1978)
33) The Blob (1988)
34) Apollo 18 (2011)
35) Fright Night (2011)

35/31 new watches

Biggest Surprise: Psycho, with all of its cultural relevance, still managed to be absolutely riveting. I could not take my eyes off of Anthony Perkins any time he was on the screen.

Most Likely to Rewatch: Possession without a doubt. I felt like I needed a second viewing immediately following the first, but I think it would have made my soul leave my body. One needs to be in the right headspace for the intensity of it all, but I will absolutely be watching this again soon. A very close second would be Dawn of the Dead.

Biggest Letdown: I’d like to say JC’s Vampires, but I didn’t expect much from the outset. I’d probably go with Apollo 18, just because the premise sounded so neat but the execution was just a wet fart. Actually, this is a tie with Mermaid Down for most interesting film description that doesn’t follow up on its promise.

Biggest Lesson Learned: Watching 31 movies in a month is no joke, and writing about all of them is also quite the task. Kudos to all of you for your thoughtful write-ups. It was arduous at times, but I’m glad I finally jumped into the challenge and filled in some horror gaps in my watch history. Tomorrow is the big day, so I’ll probably fall back on an old classic for some comfort food, and maybe throw in some What We Do in the Shadows. Happy Halloween all!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

2 is best for what it did for the burlap industry but I haven’t seen the reboot which may feature even more burlap for all I know

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

the reboot features pot farming jason and one of the most botched breast implant results put to film

In that case I’ll have to reserve judgment on my definitive ranking until this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

Thanks for all your time and energy Fran! You made a lovely year a little less lovely.