Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I've been plugging away at the Hooptober challenge on Letterboxd since it started last week, so I figure I'll just make finishing that my challenge on here.

Here's my list. https://letterboxd.com/moonsmilk/list/hooptober-777-danse-macabre/
I'm five films in on Hooptober and I'll probably watch one or two more before challenge starts here, so let's say 25, maybe? I'll hopefully manage more, but we'll see how it goes.
As I've been doing previous years, I'll be focusing on films that are new to me (with a few exceptions).

No idea how often I'll be posting in the thread. Might end up posting reviews in bulk this time. For reference, here's what I've watched so far:

1. Funny Games (1990s version)
2. Species II
3. The Witch That Came From The Sea
4. Paganini Horror
5. Silent Hill: Revelation

gey muckle mowser posted:

Going for 31 again this year. No specifics beyond that, other than to work towards filling in the movies I haven't seen from some various Top 100 lists (Edgar Wright, Slate, TSZDY). That's only around 22 movies for me so it's doable, but a couple aren't real easy to find to I'm not going to commit to that.

Speaking of - anyone know where I can watch Possession, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, and/or Brotherhood of the Wolf? I don't even see physical copies easily available.

Can't help you on the other ones, but I remember you used to be able to rent Possession on MUBI. I'm not sure if you can still do this.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Ditto! I'm so ready for some Fran Challenges.

Are we doing those this year? Ready to have some real curveballs thrown at me

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

moths posted:

Just to clarify - we're not limited to films we've never seen before, right?

That's not an official limit, no. I put that constraint on myself every year to force myself to watch new stuff, but it's not a requirement.

I may branch out to stuff I haven't seen in a long time, depending on how much I get done this year.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Technically watched these two yesterday, but I’ll put up reviews anyway since I’m running some errands and am not likely to watch anything today.

1. The Beach House (2020)

Dir: Jeffrey A. Brown

It feels like there's not enough of a transition from "oh, things are getting weird here" to "oh gently caress, oh gently caress everything's on fire", but still enjoyed my time with this! When it does have body horror going, it's really effective for its budget and scope. Kinda wish we got to see more into the characters' psychology. Strong ending, at least.

2. The Psychic

Dir: Lucio Fulci

This is probably my first encounter with giallo-era Fulci vs the “mind-bending eye trauma” era I’m so used to by now. Might not have been the most representative example to start with, but I was still into it! Probably the “classiest” film I’ve ever seen from him. Shockingly little gore, but it’s still as rife with dream logic as his best work. Another very strong ending.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

God, The Boxer’s Omen is so good. I would kill for a high-quality Blu of that film. Last time I watched it, it looked like it was streaming from a potato

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

3. Ginger Snaps (2000)
Dir: John Fawcett

Been meaning to get around to this for years, but for one reason or another, I was never quite able to make it work. Very glad it finally happened! Lots of elements here that are extremely my poo poo: light body horror, chain-wallet period angst, and great practical work. Despite being filled with intense melodrama, the characters still feel very well-observed and I found the sisters' relationship very engaging. It's absolutely not subtle about lycanthropy as metaphor for puberty but hey, subtlety's for chumps. I will say it's a bit too long, but otherwise, one of the best horror movies from the 2000s. It feels incredibly of its time but hasn't aged very much on a tonal level.

Side note: was it law in the late 90's/early 2000's that every "alternative" horror film has the same Fear Factory riff from Demanufacture? I heard it in Faust: Love of the Damned last year too.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 28, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

4. Bones (2001)
Dir: Ernest Dickerson

This film just loving goes for it, man. I love it! Early 2000s horror mixed with Gothic horror, German expressionism, blaxsploitation and Hellraiser. Dickerson clearly has a deep appreciation for the genre which shows itself pretty clearly. One of Bones' biggest strengths is that it's never really afraid to get silly (which it does on several occassions), so that stuff never really detracts from the experience. Gorgeous cinematography an practical effects.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 29, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

5.The Platform (2020)
Dir: Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia

The imagery of a platform that descends every day containing less and less food as it goes down isn't neccessarily subtle, but it's still an effective to base your film around. Clearly influenced by Bong Joon-ho (particularly Snowpiercer), I don't think it quite pulls off the thematic mastery of his work. Still a pretty neat film! The single set they use is amazingly thoughtful use of a low budget, and it's fun trying to work out the geography of this tower.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Saw it opening night on my 18th birthday. Wasn’t a fan, but I was still a burgeoning horror nerd, so I should give it another shot

Probably would be in the same boat if I had seen it when I was just starting out watching horror. It's very goofy, but you can see a lot of love for the genre.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

6. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Dir: Joe Berlinger

One of the strangest sequels in recent memory. I'm not sure how any sequel to the Blair Witch Project would have satisfied people, so I guess I'm glad that this doesn't even try to recreate the formula of the first one. It goes for an exploration of the cultural phenomenon the first film inspired, and also maintains a much more cartoonish tone. For better or for worse, I don't think there'll ever be a sequel to a film that takes this much creative liberty with the source material again. This is an extremely dumb movie and the editing kinda ruins the film (at least in the cut I watched), but can't really bring myself to hate it. Something about this era of nu-metal cinema really speaks to me. It just completely swings for the fences and even if only a quarter of the choices it makes work, it was still enjoyable for me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Does Ax 'Em count towards this challenge? I'll probably watch a good film for the Fran Challenge regardless, but still.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 2, 2020

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

7. Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992)
Director: Shinya Tsukamoto

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a film that I love with all my heart and one that's had a huge influence on what I make, so this one has been on the backburner for a while. I hadn't heard great things about it, but pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Body Hammer is for sure worse than the original, if only because the decision to add a storyline to a film that primarily worked as a grimy, queer body horror abstraction absolutely takes away the mystery and strangeness that made the first so iconic. It's still a great time because it keeps all the madcap visual design and gnarly nightmare effects and scales them up to suit the bigger budget. I really need to dig into that Tsukamoto box set that just came out one of these days.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

8. The Cremator (1969)
Dir: Juraj Herz

This doesn't seem like a horror film at first, but I'll be hard pressed to find a more legitimately disturbing film the rest of challenge. It follows a cremator in Czechoslovakia on the cusp of World War II who reads the Tibetan Book of the Dead and begins to see cremation as a way to help people move on to a more pure existence. As that belief begins to mingle with Nazi ideology, it begins to endanger his Jewish family. One of the best attempts I've seen in a film to explore what drives fascism. By honing in on a miniscule aspect of fascist government, it effectively demonstrates how it spreads through middlemen and bureaucrats while also remaining respectful to the human cost. The fluid editing gives the whole thing a very disconcerting nightmare logic, distorting as he keeps going further and further in his delusion. As far as I know, it's one of the only films about Nazism I can think of that was made by a Holocaust survivor, so there's also that. I may be completely wrong about this.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

9. The Lost Boys (1987)
Dir: Joel Schumacher

Very potently of its time, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. This is a film that's obsessed with its own glam rock/Billy Idol aesthetic and having never seen it before, it absolutely nails this look and feel. I'd say it works better tonally than it does structurally, but this was still a very dumb enjoyable film. It latches on to something real about being othered, even if I don't think it follows through on exploring it. Just be prepared for a lot of cheese. RIP Joel Schumacher.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

10. Messiah of Evil (1973)
Director: Williard Hyuck and Gloria Katz

This was such a deeply weird film. Ostensibly, it has elements of cult and zombie films, but it occupies a bizarre dream logic that feels like a distant relative to Lynch. The only thing I can think of that feels even remotely similar is Carnival of Souls, but even there, it diverges pretty heavily from there. The acting is somewhat amateurish, but like you see in a lot of survival horror games, it's amateurish in a way that only makes the things happening on screen seem that much stranger. You can tell something's off when no one's acting quite right. I kind of loved this?

11. Cargo (2018)
Directors: Ben Howling and Yolanda Ramke

This is not bad or anything, just feels like the same kind of disposable made-for-Netflix horror. Part of it might just be zombie fatigue, but even effectively done zombie films don't hit me the way they used to. It's intriguing that it barely shows said zombies, focusing on how an outbreak affects society. I guess it's nice that the film tries to include Aborigine representation and tries to reckon with Australia's history of discrimination against them.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

12. Dolls (1987)
Director: Stuart Gordon

The gentleman's Puppet Master. Stuart Gordon does some absolutely wild work on this one, turning the Charles Band Formula (killer puppets/dolls that are rude to people) into something representing equal parts Gothic haunted house story and body horror. Feels like a lesser Gordon film, but definitely good stuff.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Bruteman posted:

16) Paganini Horror (1989)
Trailer
Seen on: free on Tubi and can also be found on YouTube

A female rock band is looking for a new hit song to revitalize their fortunes. When they come into possession of sheet music for an unperformed song authored by composer Niccolò Paganini - who signed a deal with the devil for fame - they decide to use the song as their next hit. While shooting the video for the song at a mansion with a dark secret, they become trapped by devilish forces and have to figure out how to survive the night.

The Wikipedia article for the film has a lot of info on its development, and it's kind of comical - director Luigi Cozzi planned this movie based on the release of a more serious film on Paganini that was supposed to be successful, but the original producer bailed and the one that eventually ended up producing it wanted the gore removed. They made the poster (shown above) before the script. Cozzi also had actress Daria Nicolodi contribute ideas to the story. As the Wikipedia article summarizes, "In his book Italian Horror Film Directors, Louis Paul retrospectively noted that 'nobody likes Paganini Horror, Cozzi included.'" It really feels like it was messed with, because Paganini Horror is all over the place - it does have its moments but Cozzi was clearly throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck. The girls' band performs what sounds like a legally distinct version of Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name"; they namedrop Michael Jackson and "Thriller" as the inspiration for their video and song. There's a dream sequence that turns out to be them filming the video, which works a little, I guess. Oh yeah, Donald Pleasance is in this for five minutes and, man, does he look rough. There's one or two moments of gore and grue here that are pretty good but mostly people are just stabbed to death or die off-screen. In the last 20 minutes, Cozzi tries to introduce some sci-fi elements into the film involving music, mathematics and time loops but it's too little, too late and not integrated well.

Oh hey, I watched this before I started this challenge! The funny thing is they were trying to bank off the assured success of a loving Klaus Kinski film. That just adds another level to it.

13. The Mummy (1959)
Director: Terence Fisher

Nothing really out of the ordinary here, this film mostly follows the conventions of the old mummy films. It executes on these conventions pretty well, if that's what you're into. It's always fun seeing Christopher Lee play roles where his physicality is more at play than his hamminess. The makeup work is phenomenal, making him look dessicated and decrepit. It is somewhat interesting seeing the villain of this film address colonization and the pattern of white folks stealing artifacts for their own gain, though the film still comes out on the side of the colonizers.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

14. Scanners II: The New Order (1991)
Director: Christian Duguay

This leans a little closer to a thriller/police procedural than I expected, but it's a sequel to a Cronenberg film, so I'm going to count it anyway. It obviously doesn't hold a candle to the first one, but for what it is, the film's reasonably enjoyable. It's filled with tons of hilarious scenes of people overemoting to show telekinesis. The middle absolutely drags, but the beginning and end have some reasonably solid beats. The effects are honestly more impressive than I expected when I heard this went direct to video. They know you can't make a Scanners film without a head explosion and the ones that show up here are pretty decent. Shoutout to the cartoonishly evil guy playing the evil lackey Scanner. He rules.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

15. Contagion (2011)
Director: Steven Soderbergh

Solid film, but watching this with the hindsight of being deep in a real pandemic does show how it's maybe a mistake to take fiction as predictive. The science is reasonably solid with some obvious caveats for dramatization, but in some ways, I think it's too optimistic in assuming the federal government would take serious precautions to stop the pandemic.

Don't know if this is the film's fault, because I don't think we had a way of predicting things would get as stupid as they have in real life. He did at least do a good job predicting the kind of hucksters who tried to coopt the virus to sell their own cures. Contagion does do a good job of framing the pandemic around the individual oddities and tragedies of the people living in it, using montage style to its advantage. It has some of the most brutal editing in a film from the past decade.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire:spooky:

16. Ax 'Em (1992)
Director: Michael "Mfumay" Mfume

Oh boy. The worst-rated horror film on IMDB, let's do this. This probably isn't the worst horror movie I've seen (in my defense, I've seen some real trash), but it might have the worst audio mixing I've ever heard in a film. It feels like they recorded it without any kind of amplification, so what they're saying in real life is what you're hearing in this film shot on an early 90's-era camcorder. Whenever there's a crowd, god help you if you want to make out anything anyone is saying. Even when there's just one or two people in the shot, it's still a crapshoot. Just staggering incompetence all around, but there's still a certain kind of charm to it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Got busy around here, so I have a big backlog of reviews I'm going to dump here:

16. 964 Pinocchio (1991)
Dir: Shozun Fukui

The most goop per capita. There's basically no plot, but it scratches that anarchic, scummy body horror vibe Tetsuo: The Iron Man left in me. Not really scary so much as it is gross.

17. Phantasm II (1988)
Dir: Don Coscarelli

This film suffers hard from studios trying to make it bigger without really understanding the source material. A much bigger budget and honestly a more professional film than the first, but there's lots of attempts to make it like all the other slashers out there. Don Coscarelli infuses the film with some of the same kind of dream logic that made the first Phantasm iconic and Angus Scrimm is back, so it's still a decent watch.

Panos Cosmatos absolutely lifted the chainsaw fight for Mandy, right?

18. House of Wax (2005)
Dir: Jaume Collet-Serra

Honestly, one of the stronger entries in the remake craze of the early-to-mid 2000s and some sterling nu-metal cinema. Expanding the scale and creating a town of wax sculptures frozen in place overlooking a literal house of wax is such a smart move, lending to lots of haunting images and surprisingly strong body horror.

Because they threw entirely too much money into this one-off concept, the set dressing is gorgeous and feels like it's stuck in time. It's ironic for a film that's otherwise as firmly planted in the mid-2000s as can be. Of course, as was the style of the time, the characters all make the exact kind of bad decisions everyone keeps ragging on slasher movie characters for. And yes, Paris Hilton is some incredibly rough, timely stunt casting.

19. The Oily Maniac (1976)
Dir: Ho Meng-Hua

Wildly, wildly problematic and filled with some VERY questionable gender politics, but like most of the Shaw Brothers movies I've seen, this was a wild ride. The hero having to douse himself in oil to become said oily maniac is such a funny gimmick, as is the ripoff Jaws theme he's scored with. Best name of the challenge for sure.

20. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Dir: Jack Arnold

Shockingly dark and morbid for the time, especially given the concept. It does a better job of giving the tropey "oh no, things that seem perfectly fine at normal size are terrifying when you're small!" set-up a kind of danger and gravity. The effects work is wildly ambitious in trying to sell the changing scale of our titular shrinking man, and it mostly works when bolstered by great cinematography that sells the scale and equally strong set design.

21. Invaders from Mars (1986)
Dir: Tobe Hooper

Tobe Hooper has got to be one of the GOAT directors to ever work within Cannon's weird restrictions. His films with them aren't neccessarily high-art (except for Texas Chainsaw Massacre II), but they absolutely know how to leverage the low budget and cavalier whims of Cannon's often-awful business decisions. He knows exactly what tone he's trying to go with in these films, and for the most part, nails it. This doesn't set out to be much more than an entry-level b-horror movie that kids can watch, and doesn't go much further than that. I'd rank it pretty low as far as Hooper goes, the adult acting is often bad (and not in the intentional way Hooper seems to be going for). But I could imagine a kid in the 80's watching this and having their minds blown. The practical work on the aliens is lovingly crafted and a few scenes do give off the kind of paranoiac vibes the film seems to have intended.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

22. Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)
Dir: Andrzej Sekula

Bold move to replace the grit and grime of the first Cube with exposition for concepts the film doesn't understand. Bad, but not even really in an engaging way. The genius of reusing the one set in the first one gives way to laziness and overambitious CGI effects that don't really work.

23. The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
Dir: Joe May

Hiring Vincent Price for your film and then making him invisible for most of the runtime should be illegal, but it's a testament to how much of a legend he was that he still has a commanding screen presence while being mostly ADR. Still a fun time, all things considered.

:spooky: Fran Challenge 12: Ouroborus:spooky:

24. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)
Dir: Robert Aldritch

This recommendation came straight from Fran.

This was a big blind spot in my horror viewing, and I'm glad I finally watched it! There's this really fascinating thing the film does where it takes the tropes and signifiers of melodrama and warps them into something completely wicked and mean. One of the meanest films I've seen from the era. It feels inextricably tied to the real-life, decades-long feud Bette Davis and Joan Crawford had between each other, which had many of its most infamous moments occur during the filming of this movie. The malice and scorn in this film feels real because, well, it pretty much was real. This one is a new favorite of mine.

And with that, I think I've done all the films on my Hooptober list. I think the goal I listed in the thread was 25, but I should be accomplishing that soon. Now I gotta do all the challenges here! Gonna take a breather and watch some shorts.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

:spooky:Fran Challenge #2: Short Cuts:spooky:

Since I finished the list of movies I had to go through for Hooptober, I'm doing a palette cleanser in the form of some shorts before I move on to the rest of the challenges.

Possibly In Michigan (11:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJNSD3H5sg

This short feels like a cryptid. I can't even begin to figure out what's going on, but I found this one the most fascinating of all the shorts I watched. This comes from a video artist named Cecilia Condit and it inexplicably went viral on TikTok last year. I want to look into more of her shorts from this era.

Geometria (6:29)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-kXjzssBaI

One of Guillermo Del Toro's first shorts. I'm not sure if he dubbed over the voices in this, but I liked this! Has a pretty decent punchline and doesn't overstay it's welcome. The Creepshow lighting is very nice too. Strong shitposting energy.

My house walkthrough (12:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

An intentionally kind of vague ghost story, but it's really helped along by the gorgeously grungy production design. The set built for this short looks really gross and tactile in a way that really sells the cursed feeling of the short. Good stuff!

The Strange Thing About The Johnsons (29:06)
https://vimeo.com/155016328
This Ari Aster short has a degree of infamy to it because of the incest and sexual assault. As you'd expect, it's a brutal watch. Really effective short, but obviously I can't recommend it sight unseen.

Run (1:17)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2YF1J6jxg

My runthrough of the first four ended up being 59 minutes rather than the full 60, so I put this one on for good measure. Not entirely sure what you can do with a fully fleshed-out horror story in a minute, and I'm not sure the creators of this short did either. It has a simple enough setup and punchline, guy runs from something and it gets him. The jump scare at the end is kind of lame, but I'm not going to get too mad about a short that's only a minute long.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

:spooky: Fran Challenge #6: Tomb of the Blind Spots :spooky:
25. Ringu (The Ring) (1998)
Dir: Hideo Nakata

I've seen the American remake, but not the original (or any of the notorious J-horror films, come to think of it). Good stuff! It really builds up a lingering sense of unease and dread. I will say That Scene is probably done a little better in the remake, but I think I like this one more overall.

:spooky: Fran Challenge #13: It's The Time of the Season for Spook-a-Doodles :spooky:
26. Haunt (2019)
Dir: Scott Beck, Bryan Woods

Shoutout to the extremely dumb acoustic cover of Dragula in the credits. I have a bit of a soft spot for the subgenre of "haunted house movie, but it's in a fake haunted house". I suspect the subgenre's become popular to make because it's an easy way to sell the authenticity of the setting on a very low budget. Plus, it's fun to play around with artificiality! This was probably a really fun film to make. As for the film itself, it's a perfectly functional slasher. Nothing remarkable, but nothing particularly heinous. If you've seen something in this subgenre, you pretty much know how it's going to go, beat for beat. There's a bit of a theme of trauma/surviving, but I don't think they really go anywhere with it. Surprisingly well-shot.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #7: Dearly Departed:spooky:
27. King of the Ants (2003)

Dir: Stuart Gordon

This has a whole lot of black marks against it (shot on handicam, being put out by The Asylum, featuring Daniel Baldwin), but leave it to Stuart Gordon to sneak one of the meanest films I've ever seen under their radar. It starts out as a neo-noir, but quickly gets really intense and viscerally unpleasant. Much credit to Chris McKenna for being so willing to commit to the degradation his character is subjected to. I do wish it was more stylishly shot, but in a way, the bland shooting makes it feel a little nastier

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

28. Runaway Nightmare (1982)
Dir: Mike Cartel

Accidentally has a bit of a strong Lynch vibe. There's a whole lot of moves where the director (who is also the writer and editor and lead actor and) knows a film needs certain things like stunts or sound design, but doesn't know how to accomplish them. So you end up having multiple dinner scenes with people moving their lips, but minutes upon minutes of awkward silence.

On a similar note, the stunt work is stunningly irresponsible. There's a scene where they have to show that the bulletproof vest is in fact bulletproof, so the director gets someone to shoot him with a shotgun while he's wearing it.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #3: Feardotcom:spooky:
29. FearDotCom (2002)
Dir: William Malone

Someone had to actually do FearDotCom.

The website that kills you being named feardotcom.com says just about all you'd need to know about it's understanding of newfangled internet technology. Lots of overestimating about what can actually be accomplished through the internet, which gives the film a sense of (accidental?) magical realism. The film makes some strange visual connections, like tying early Flash aesthetic to Joel-Peter Witkin/German expressionism and throwing a noir filter over the whole thing. Actually looks pretty great for the time, but the plot is nonsense. If you're willing to buy into the absurdity of a website being programed to hold conversations with you and make bugs crawl out of your hard drive, you'll probably get a little bit of enjoyment out of it.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Was hoping I wouldn't have to do another review dump, but I keep putting off writing reviews this year.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #4: Scream, Queen!:spooky:
30. Spiral (2019)

Dir: Kurtis David Hacher

Very hard to pin down what I think about this one. On the one hand, I guess I'm glad the film tries to handle queer representation in a thoughtful manner, but it's otherwise a very dry film. Not very interesting stylistically and while it does tackle otherization pretty well, it doesn't go as hard as it needs to to sell the central mystery. Also, it just ends kind of abruptly.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #5: Silent Scream:spooky:
31. L'Inferno (1911)

Dir: Giuseppe de Liguoro, Francesco Bertolini, and Adolfo Padovan

The first Italian feature film ever made! Also one of the earliest feature films that still survives fully intact. It doesn't really have a whole lot to say story-wise, it's mostly just a straight retelling of Dante's Inferno. A lot of the allure of this film comes down to seeing how it adapts some of the iconic imagery found in the poem, using Gustave Dore's engravings as an inspiration. The film still looks incredibly gorgeous and atmospheric today, at times looking like a direct recreation of those engravings. Beautiful stuff and highly recommended.
:spooky:Fran Challenge #9: TerrorVision:spooky:
32. Cast A Deadly Spell (1991)

Dir: Martin Campbell

Kind of surprising we don't see more horror movies playing with the 50's noir setting, seems like mixing and matching pulp genres should be a natural fit. There's some fun beats and strong effects, but sadly, there's a lot of very uncomfortable bits that hold it back from being something I can recommend in good conscience. Now, I don't expect a TV movie from the 90's to have a nuanced take on trans folks, but it's still very uncomfortable seeing a trans character get belittled and beat up by the protag. The film also introduces the idea of zombie slaves as cheap labor or bodyguards, and it just so happens that a majority of the zombies we see on screen are Black. I think it's meant to parallel real slavery, but the film doesn't really comment on or even really challenge the idea. Not a good look!

:spooky:Fran Challenge #10: Run This poo poo Into The Ground:spooky:
33. Hellraiser: Inferno (2000)

Dir: Scott Derrickson

Oh joy, I finally watched a direct-to-video Hellraiser. Honestly, not as bad as you'd think given the circumstances (and how much worse I've heard these get). Still pretty bad, though! This has the stink of "promising first-time director being handed a thankless job" all over it. You can see Scott Derrickson try to introduce flourishes of noir and Jacob's Ladder into the mix, but either because of budget or clash with the source material, they don't really go anywhere. I haven't watched the rest of these (except for Judgment a couple of years ago), but it feels like in the DTV sequels, Doug Bradley just shows up for five minutes and lectures the camera about the morals of the film, like the Crypt-Keeper with a theater degree.

:spooky:Fran Challenge #8: When Animals Attack!:spooky:
34. Lake Placid

Dir: Steve Miner

It's fine? Absolutely filled with stock characters and tropes, but there's nothing particularly egregious about it other than the late-90s "women, am i right?" themes it gives one of our only named female characters. It's probably worth it, if only to see Betty White cursing some dudes out and Brendan Gleeson try to pull off a Maine accent.

:spooky: Fran Challenge #11: Öskur heyrðust um allan heim:spooky:
35. Save The Green Planet!

Dir: Jang Joon-hwan

Really into this one! It keeps up a very madcap pace throughout, shifting between tones and genres very fluidly. It's never afraid to let itself be goofy, but packs a punch when it needs to.