Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I grew up on pita bread from one bakery in Brooklyn and I've never been able to enjoy any other version of it. It kinda fuckin sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am pleased that I ordered a set, not just picked and chose. Falafel was kind of a wasted effort because when I finished kebab I was full. Nevertheless falafel was sitting on a bunch of pickled vegetables which was a hint from the restaurant that you aught to eat them together. Well, thank you for the hint! Because when I tried that out of curiousity, it is indeed better! The place is called Byblos which is a cool name for a cool food that they make

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dazerbeams posted:

I grew up on pita bread from one bakery in Brooklyn and I've never been able to enjoy any other version of it. It kinda fuckin sucks.

In my hometown there was a guy selling pita döner and it was the best drunk "I need something greasy stat" food ever. He fried the bread and then filled it with gyros, drat its good.

Also if y'all ever get the chance try syrian food, very similar to all of this. My former syrian room are gave me walnut filled, honey glazed mini eggplants once she got from her mother and it was incredible. Middle Eastern food in general is just top notch, the spice mixes are incredible.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqTKA8BxvE

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I was raised on Lebanese food cooked by my wonderful Lebanese American mom and I highly support its consumption.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

it's good

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

levantine food is the poo poo and my uncle's maronite expat mom used to make the best kibbeh I have ever eaten

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

My wife's family is half Lebanese which means I get to eat Lebanese food at every major holiday (also any weekend we go over).

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My godfather is Lebanese-American so every visit with him was filled with delicious kafta and stuffed grape leaves.

My local international food festival was cancelled this year and it's the Lebanese and Jamaican food I miss the most.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Dynastocles posted:

My wife's family is half Lebanese which means I get to eat Lebanese food at every major holiday (also any weekend we go over).

god drat you half lebanese girls
do it to me every time

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A Lebanese restaurant on every corner is what I miss most about Detroit.

There are only a couple here is Orlando and they are either expensive, too far away from me, or don't last long. One opened up near me last year and within a month had rebranded as Greek.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Since I discovered Sumac grows wild in Washington I've been looking high and low for it on all my hikes. It is a superior spice on just abut everything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Whorelord posted:

Hot take: Iranian food > Lebanese imo

One time I went to an Iranian place and asked if they had any tahdig because it wasn't anywhere on the menu and they gave me like 10,000 calories worth from their giant rice pot at no charge!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
the best thing about moving to Sweden is my access to a swath of amazing Levantine (and other non Swedish) food holy poo poo holy gently caress

There’s a fantastic grill place right in front of my bedroom window and every day I resist the urge to barge in and gorge myself.

Holy poo poo and kibbeh???? gently caress

Like Swedish food is ok sometimes but like, I’m going to go bathe in the tub of ful medames??? go ahead call the cops I’ll die here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

god drat you half lebanese girls
do it to me every time

Black Lebanese make you weak in the knees

(I think this lyric is about hashish tho)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

TheAardvark posted:

Oh wait it didn't come up because it doesn't have the word lebanese anywhere

http://beirutdenver.com/menu.html

What should I order OP

My thing with Lebanese is that I’m always happiest when I order the exact opposite of what would normally sound good. Spinach pies don’t sound very exciting, but they’re the best poo poo in the world. Various piles of unappetizing looking, tan-colored slop? Absolutely, dip the spinach pies in them. Stuffed grape leaves sound gross, gimme a half dozen. A salad with like three ingredients? Seconds.

The meat options will probably all own too, there are no mistakes to be made here, but the real stars are usually the things that don’t sound as exciting. At the very least get a bunch of baba ghanoush and extra bread.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

A Lebanese restaurant on every corner is what I miss most about Detroit.

This is one of the best parts of living here, I swear. I have like four wonderful different types of Mediterranean near me and they all have their own specialties and it's all fuckin wonderful

Lebanese is the it tho

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Lebanese rear end

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sekenr posted:

peakled vegetables

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Salty Josh posted:

Lebanese laydees are delicious too, OP. Let's not forget about their superior genes.

Iranian superiority applies here as well, IMO.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Baba ghanoush is so underrated it's criminal. You wouldn't think "smoked eggplant" would be good but man it's almost as good as hummus.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Lebanese food is fabulous. Making some hummus and gallaba for dinner tonight.

Yemeni food is amazing too, but hard to find. Don't pass it up if you get the chance!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I prefer Mexican food to all other forms of food but even al pastor was originally created by Lebanese-Mexican immigrants so in a way Lebanese food is still the best food.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Badactura posted:

I prefer Mexican food to all other forms of food but even al pastor was originally created by Lebanese-Mexican immigrants so in a way Lebanese food is still the best food.

i love spinning meat in all forms

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Sex Skeleton posted:

Baba ghanoush is so underrated it's criminal. You wouldn't think "smoked eggplant" would be good but man it's almost as good as hummus.

From certain restaurants I’d say it can be way better than hummus. Seriously a good dip

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have lived in many places, large and small, but Iowa is the first one where I cannot find authentic Mediterranean food nearby :( the gyros at the local place have cheese sauce I think :( but somehow we have a genuinely good Cajun place so that is nice?

teen witch posted:

Like Swedish food is ok sometimes but like, I’m going to go bathe in the tub of ful medames??? go ahead call the cops I’ll die here.
Mmm, gravlax kebab. I am already excited to pair it with drömmar

(As a third generation Swedish immigrant I think it is accurate that I should have constant lust for the old country?)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

don't you mean Israeli food :can:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Dr. Quarex posted:

Mmm, gravlax kebab. I am already excited to pair it with drömmar

That sounds delicious. Can you email me one please?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My grandfather turns 100 today over in Tripoli :toot:

Dont Touch ME posted:

Feels good being descended from Lebanese diaspora. Every holiday is marked by kibbeh nayyeh, tabbouleh, schwarma, baba ganoush, and spreading toum on freshly baked naan.

Kibbeh nayyeh is the loving best :colbert:

Question for anyone who might know: what's the name of the dish that has minced meat, chickpeas and spinach (served with rice and garlic-laden yoghurt)?

We used to eat it every week when I was growing up in the UK and just called it "spinach".

I cooked it for friends and just called it "spinach".

3 years ago, I'm at my aunt's apartment in Tripoli and ask her what it's called, she says a word in Arabic, I ask her what it means and she says "Des épinards.". Spinach. :cripes:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lebanese food is maybe the greatest cuisine on earth? they have the best salads, it's crazy how good they are. they also have the best style hummus.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My body is jam-packed with parasites from all of the raw kibbeh my wife's sito makes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Captain Splendid posted:

My grandfather turns 100 today over in Tripoli :toot:

Kibbeh nayyeh is the loving best :colbert:

Question for anyone who might know: what's the name of the dish that has minced meat, chickpeas and spinach (served with rice and garlic-laden yoghurt)?

We used to eat it every week when I was growing up in the UK and just called it "spinach".

I cooked it for friends and just called it "spinach".

3 years ago, I'm at my aunt's apartment in Tripoli and ask her what it's called, she says a word in Arabic, I ask her what it means and she says "Des épinards.". Spinach. :cripes:

You would be welcome half a world over in Wisconsin, of all places.

we call them 'cannibal sandwiches'
e: also much love to your grandfather, I hope that he is happy and well. 100 years on this timeline isn't a ride I'm sure I'd like to punch my ticket on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What bread is that

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

fall riv baby

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g41564-d4988376-Reviews-Sam_s_Bakery-Fall_River_Massachusetts.html

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=mideastern&find_loc=Fall+River%2C+ma

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's a weird little rye bread they make and sell in delis here specifically for spreads and little finger sandwiches of whatever sort. The short answer is "It's rye". The longer answer is that it's a tiny loaf of rye with a more mealy consistency almost like a corn-bread with a stronger rye flavor that manages to hold itself together and get all kinds of stuff slathered on it. (Cheese. We're in Wisconsin. It's gonna be cheeses.)

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Klinger ate a Jeep once. Can I just eat a Jeep because there aren’t any Lebanese places within a day’s drive of me.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Growing up, there were often daays where every surface of the kitchen was covered in grape leaves for rolling.

Its like the tamale rule where you have to make 500 if youre making them at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Big Beef City posted:

It's a weird little rye bread they make and sell in delis here specifically for spreads and little finger sandwiches of whatever sort. The short answer is "It's rye". The longer answer is that it's a tiny loaf of rye with a more mealy consistency almost like a corn-bread with a stronger rye flavor that manages to hold itself together and get all kinds of stuff slathered on it. (Cheese. We're in Wisconsin. It's gonna be cheeses.)
You mean cocktail rye like this stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Rubschlager-Cocktail-Rye-16-Ounce-Pack/dp/B004725MLO

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Came in here to yell Detroit! but y'all have it covered. There are so many good places, even here in the white bread suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Honestly most of the best Detroit Leb places are in the burbs.