Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'd mostly like a bit better movement in VR, the stick movement makes me throw up but the teleport is soooooo slow
the school in particular it took me several minutes to slowly step-step-step back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The big thing to know is that once you start to do Intermediate and Professional difficulty contracts, you will start raking in money. Higher difficulties provide a money multiplier, letting you make some real bank if you get a bunch of pictures.

The "Identify the ghost" objective though seems very jank in terms of sometimes making you $10 and sometimes you get $60. No idea why with no real thing to point at. Maybe it has to do with getting the acutal evidence yourself? I dunno.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Now that I think about it, Id settle for Dragula being added as an adversary

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What does difficulty do?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Communist Thoughts posted:

What does difficulty do?

reduces the safety timer (Intermediate to 2 minutes, Professional to no safety time), provide a multiplier to the cash you earn and make the ghost more aggressive.

During the safety time provided by Amateur and Intermediate, the ghost cannot start a hunt. It also tends to be a bit more inactive sometimes, with the closer to the safety timer being up the more active it can become.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dogstile posted:

I don't like them just because it takes loving forever for anything to happen. Really wish you could bring at couple extra people to those maps.

The obvious solution for the high school and asylum is to have multiple ghosts.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Indeed,

This is the solution we all want.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Actually yeah this would be good to.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I absolutely had nightmares after playing this. Nothing that woke me up, but definitely unpleasant dreams.

I also nearly poo poo myself when a ghost started hunting while almost on top of a crucifix. For reference, the crucifix was at the foot of a bathtub and it started hunting at the head of the bathtub. Maybe if I actually die in game it would make further play less spooky?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

I absolutely had nightmares after playing this. Nothing that woke me up, but definitely unpleasant dreams.

I also nearly poo poo myself when a ghost started hunting while almost on top of a crucifix. For reference, the crucifix was at the foot of a bathtub and it started hunting at the head of the bathtub. Maybe if I actually die in game it would make further play less spooky?

I don't know if it makes it less spooky, but its definately much less stressful. Before I died I was dreading getting caught by the ghost because I was expecting a whole bunch of cheap jumpscares and loud noises, which is not what I want late at night playing video games. But its not that at all.

So the game is still spooky as poo poo and still fun to argue who is going to leave The Safety Van to go and turn the camera on (because you forgot to switch it on before placing it), but now I don't feel like I need to be ready to hit the mute button on my headset if I get caught in a bad place during a hunt.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SaffronKit posted:

reduces the safety timer (Intermediate to 2 minutes, Professional to no safety time), provide a multiplier to the cash you earn and make the ghost more aggressive.

During the safety time provided by Amateur and Intermediate, the ghost cannot start a hunt. It also tends to be a bit more inactive sometimes, with the closer to the safety timer being up the more active it can become.

Much like the ghost AI is a horrific traffic accident the difficulty settings are actually a little weird.

So aside from the safety timer, your sanity drain rate gets bumped at each difficulty, 1.5x for intermediate and 2x for professional. Which is likely what makes everyone say the ghosts feel more aggressive, since the ghost itself actually gets extra chance to be inactive no mater how much you aggravate it on the higher difficulties.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
played with goons and my parrot scared the poo poo out of them over coms

good bird :birddrugs:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does other people blabbing while you are being hunted actually affect your likeliness of getting killed or it is on a player by player basis?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's player by player, but my girlfriend's gaming setup is in the same room so even though she was locked outside, her shouting came through my mic and let the ghost know where I was :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Evil Kit got me killed last night when we were all calmly leaving the Highschool after discovering the ghost and getting what we needed. He shut the door on the way out, which the ghost immediately locked, hunted, then killed me because there's very few places to hide in the front hall of the high school.

We did do a few lower equipment runs which made it a little more challenging instead of everyone taking a crucifix, temp gun, and big flashlight.

The game needs different mission modifiers, for example: No power, or robust power, restricted loadout (only 1 of each thing or something like that),

There also needs to be a map-size modifier, so high school is just worth more because now it's such a crapshoot to even try it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Man I wonder who this Evil Kit guy is, they sound handsome, smart and cool. It was pretty comedic timing I bet, and he takes full credit. Also, he still hasn't died yet. :smuggo:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SaffronKit posted:

Man I wonder who this Evil Kit guy is, they sound handsome, smart and cool. It was pretty comedic timing I bet, and he takes full credit. Also, he still hasn't died yet. :smuggo:

I sure hope he's a budget-tier streamer on an already-dead platform so he has a video capture.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think the promising thing about this game is adding more modifiers like that or new levels give it a long tail, if they added workshop support and let people make environments to hunt ghosts in that'd be awesome.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Elendil004 posted:

I sure hope he's a budget-tier streamer on an already-dead platform so he has a video capture.

Here is some found footage revealing the last moments before Chet's untimely and unfortunate demise. The actual death has been excised to reduce the traumatic impact of the experience.

Also, rude.

To add to the conversation on modifiers, it would def be cool and would also have to be considered in relation to how it could affect the ghosts themselves. Power permanently out? Better hope it's not a Mare. Power permanently on? Better hope it's not a Jinn. That said, there could be a whole bunch of cool things it could add and I'm really looking forward to more stuff being added in general.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 18, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can the ghosts actually lock doors on hard difficulties? On amateur at least, they just close them. Although the games controls are so fumbly sometimes it feels like getting locked in regardless.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

veni veni veni posted:

Can the ghosts actually lock doors on hard difficulties? On amateur at least, they just close them. Although the games controls are so fumbly sometimes it feels like getting locked in regardless.

I had one lock a door on me in amateur so yes.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
The exit doors lock when a hunt starts. The interior doors don't lock, but the panic of trying to find a good hide at the last second can make you fumble.

I had one last night in a high school where we knew the ghost was in a bathroom and I was trying to get pics of it. I hid in a bathroom stall THREE TIMES because it started hunting. Hearing it walking just outside, quietly making GBS threads myself and praying it didn't figure out how to open the stall door.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How long do they lock for? When the exit doors shut I usually fumble around with them for a few seconds and they open.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

veni veni veni posted:

How long do they lock for? When the exit doors shut I usually fumble around with them for a few seconds and they open.

Hunt duration depends on difficulty and exit doors remain locked for the duration of the hunt.

On Amateur a hunt is 25 seconds, on Professional it’s 50.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cobbsprite posted:

The exit doors lock when a hunt starts. The interior doors don't lock, but the panic of trying to find a good hide at the last second can make you fumble.

I had one last night in a high school where we knew the ghost was in a bathroom and I was trying to get pics of it. I hid in a bathroom stall THREE TIMES because it started hunting. Hearing it walking just outside, quietly making GBS threads myself and praying it didn't figure out how to open the stall door.

A ghost can also lock doors in the interior of a house. Source: a banshee locking the door to the garage when I was trying to provoke it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

SaffronKit posted:

A ghost can also lock doors in the interior of a house. Source: a banshee locking the door to the garage when I was trying to provoke it.

Thankfully the non-hunt instances only remain locked for a time period so you don't end up soft locked if you didn't instantly eat all the keys in the house.

E: Unrelated, I learned yesterday that with the right circumstances, since outside is just another room, ghosts can interact with stuff in the van. I want that to happen more often.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 18, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I like that you don't have to go back into the house to get equipment you left, but that'd be a fun optional difficulty modifier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It certainly would stop me from just scattering my equipment loving everywhere each time I think I've found the room.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Had a great ghost hunt with some friends last night (despite half the team having headset issues to they couldn't hear us half the time), with a great spooky encounter.

Found the ghost room on the second floor of the suburban house, set up the camera and got some orbs, found some hand prints, wanted to get some EVP to be sure that we didnt get a false positive on the other evidence, so we all pile into the ghost room so we can use the ghostbox and have a chat with our friend. One of our team already has the UV light out and inspecting thing, I ask the ghost "where are you?" and the EVP box comes back with "HERE" and handprints begin to appear all over the walls.

Naturally we all poo poo ourselves and bolt out of the room, only to remember photographs, so we all Scooby Doo back up the stairs and into the room to photograph the handprints before they vanish, and then leg it back to the van before we all die.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Today I learned: As long as the ghost isn't a Jinn with the power on or a Revenant, so long as you can run in a straight line (like in Asylum/ Highschool) you can outrun ghosts during a hunt.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
also never play this game with Australians as you will get into an argument about whether or not to use salt or chicken salt to see ghost footprints.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GoldStandardConure posted:

also never play this game with Australians as you will get into an argument about whether or not to use salt or chicken salt to see ghost footprints.

"Any reason why we can't do this during the day time?"

*audibly annoyed team mates* "Because Ghosts don't come out in the day."

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

algebra testes posted:

"Any reason why we can't do this during the day time?"

*audibly annoyed team mates* "Because Ghosts don't come out in the day."

get out of my game, pubbie

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Watching a lot of folks play the game, I think the one thing the game misses is coordinated "actions" in the process of ghost identification. In a sense, a full team activity and a 2'n'2 activity. Right now there's a solo spread out phase where everyone does something different to hunt for basic information, and there's the 3'n'1 where you send the sacrificial lamb to get a ghost to appear for a picture or a map objective. I'd actually like to see a seance circle mechanic in some form, with salt and chalk and candles. Nothing complicated, but something that requires all 4 people in one place that risks putting everyone in danger purposely, plus enough mechanical dryness to allow fun-havers to bullshit their own seance formula for entertainment.

As for what you can do in pairs, the idea would be less about "1-2-3-Go" actions, and more about putting a curtain between the two pairs. Maybe a mechanic that requires radios to be turned off and only local voice can be used, so something to do with EMF-esque poo poo, like some kind of spirit stud finder in opposite-ish rooms of the map where 2 players have to figure out where to stand and what to face in order to provoke a ghost activity. Bonus fun if the room has, say, a wood cutting axe in the room for possession-enabled spirits.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bootcha posted:

Watching a lot of folks play the game, I think the one thing the game misses is coordinated "actions" in the process of ghost identification. In a sense, a full team activity and a 2'n'2 activity. Right now there's a solo spread out phase where everyone does something different to hunt for basic information, and there's the 3'n'1 where you send the sacrificial lamb to get a ghost to appear for a picture or a map objective. I'd actually like to see a seance circle mechanic in some form, with salt and chalk and candles. Nothing complicated, but something that requires all 4 people in one place that risks putting everyone in danger purposely, plus enough mechanical dryness to allow fun-havers to bullshit their own seance formula for entertainment.

As for what you can do in pairs, the idea would be less about "1-2-3-Go" actions, and more about putting a curtain between the two pairs. Maybe a mechanic that requires radios to be turned off and only local voice can be used, so something to do with EMF-esque poo poo, like some kind of spirit stud finder in opposite-ish rooms of the map where 2 players have to figure out where to stand and what to face in order to provoke a ghost activity. Bonus fun if the room has, say, a wood cutting axe in the room for possession-enabled spirits.

Performing a seance to get the ghost into the nearest toilet.

But yeah more stuff to do so you're forced to wander around the site more for side objectives would be good. Especially since while most people don't play this way the game will let you be ruthlessly efficient, and you can be in and out before even a Demon wants to get their hunt on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i played a bunch of games with vets earlier who would go in, figure out what the ghost was, do the easy objectives (smudge stick, motion detector, etc) and then just leave. Even on professional you'll be out before the ghost gets mad. Kinda sucked. I've had much more fun pissing off the ghost so i can get a crucifix prevention going.

Also calling the ghost a stupid motherfucker can and will break two crucifix's and trigger a hunt. Guess how i know.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

Yeah i played a bunch of games with vets earlier who would go in, figure out what the ghost was, do the easy objectives (smudge stick, motion detector, etc) and then just leave. Even on professional you'll be out before the ghost gets mad. Kinda sucked. I've had much more fun pissing off the ghost so i can get a crucifix prevention going.

Also calling the ghost a stupid motherfucker can and will break two crucifix's and trigger a hunt. Guess how i know.

Motherfucker is one of the stronger attack trigger words! So yes, seems obvious why you would know.

For the record I work efficiently because I am a couple spooks away from making GBS threads my pants (metaphorically).

Story time! While playing last night with a group of friends after doing some games with goons, we actually got an intermediate High School contract with a ghost we know fondly despise called B-Ball Williams. B-Ball Williams was a right rear end in a top hat whose room we could not find despite sinking probably a 25+ minutes into the contract. At the start when we spread out I kept hearing the sound of a bouncing basketball like the one in the game lobby you can shoot hoops with. Regularly every minute or so for a while with me asking if anyone else heard it. I got a resounding "No" from my friends so I, spooked as I was, moved on as we kept searching for the ghost. I start making my way to the second floor from the right flight of stairs and notice two basketballs on the landing inbetween floors stacked up with each other. I radio my friends for them to come see, and I hear back that they found it and that there are THREE basketballs... except they weren't anywhere near me. The left flight of stairs on the opposite side of the school had three basketballs at the bottom of the stairs against the hallway wall instead of on the landing. Throughout the rest of the time trying to find the ghost, another two basketballs got rolled down the stairs even through three hunts from the ghost did to try and murder us. We all survived, gathered up in the truck, all agreed we couldn't find wherever the hell this ghost was hanging out to try and get evidence and said "gently caress B-ball Williams." We made a guess and went home. To this day, we believe B-ball Williams is still manifesting infinite basketballs to roll down the stairs of that high school.

(It was an Oni for those wondering.)

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SaffronKit posted:

Motherfucker is one of the stronger attack trigger words! So yes, seems obvious why you would know.

For the record I work efficiently because I am a couple spooks away from making GBS threads my pants (metaphorically).

Story time! While playing last night with a group of friends after doing some games with goons, we actually got an intermediate High School contract with a ghost we know fondly despise called B-Ball Williams. B-Ball Williams was a right rear end in a top hat whose room we could not find despite sinking probably a 25+ minutes into the contract. At the start when we spread out I kept hearing the sound of a bouncing basketball like the one in the game lobby you can shoot hoops with. Regularly every minute or so for a while with me asking if anyone else heard it. I got a resounding "No" from my friends so I, spooked as I was, moved on as we kept searching for the ghost. I start making my way to the second floor from the right flight of stairs and notice two basketballs on the landing inbetween floors stacked up with each other. I radio my friends for them to come see, and I hear back that they found it and that there are THREE basketballs... except they weren't anywhere near me. The left flight of stairs on the opposite side of the school had three basketballs at the bottom of the stairs against the hallway wall instead of on the landing. Throughout the rest of the time trying to find the ghost, another two basketballs got rolled down the stairs even through three hunts from the ghost did to try and murder us. We all survived, gathered up in the truck, all agreed we couldn't find wherever the hell this ghost was hanging out to try and get evidence and said "gently caress B-ball Williams." We made a guess and went home. To this day, we believe B-ball Williams is still manifesting infinite basketballs to roll down the stairs of that high school.

(It was an Oni for those wondering.)

The entire hallway on Highschool is considered one contiguous "room" as far as the game is concerned. I haven't personally seen a ghost have its home in the high school hallway, but I've had it where hallways on other maps were the "ghost room" so it's possible that one of the hallways was the actual "ghost room", in which case good loving luck. If the ghost was based out of the hallway, then it could potentially be wandering the entire length of the school at any given time.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I love this kinda poo poo. It feels really great when you identify the room and then the ghost type and get your objectives/photos really fast and get out with big cash, but it feels really SPOOKY when you can't nail that fucker down and they keep creeping you out. On the same side, if it was ALL that kind of trip, it would lose the fun. So I'm glad that both exist. We're still in EARLY early access, so we can expect to see a lot more as time goes on.

Adding to the list of "Challenge Runs"

* No flashlights, light switches and UV lights only
* No radio, local voice only
* No light switches, basic flashlights only
* Gobble your crazy pills before you open the door
* Must Take All Equipment Back To The Van
* Only one identifying tool allowed at a time
* You must start every sentence with the ghost's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Olesh posted:

The entire hallway on Highschool is considered one contiguous "room" as far as the game is concerned. I haven't personally seen a ghost have its home in the high school hallway, but I've had it where hallways on other maps were the "ghost room" so it's possible that one of the hallways was the actual "ghost room", in which case good loving luck. If the ghost was based out of the hallway, then it could potentially be wandering the entire length of the school at any given time.

We had guessed this was the case, I especially since it dropped basketballs down both flights of stairs. But seriously, gently caress B-ball Williams. Total prick.

Cobbsprite posted:

I love this kinda poo poo. It feels really great when you identify the room and then the ghost type and get your objectives/photos really fast and get out with big cash, but it feels really SPOOKY when you can't nail that fucker down and they keep creeping you out. On the same side, if it was ALL that kind of trip, it would lose the fun. So I'm glad that both exist. We're still in EARLY early access, so we can expect to see a lot more as time goes on.

Adding to the list of "Challenge Runs"

* No flashlights, light switches and UV lights only
* No radio, local voice only
* No light switches, basic flashlights only
* Gobble your crazy pills before you open the door
* Must Take All Equipment Back To The Van
* Only one identifying tool allowed at a time
* You must start every sentence with the ghost's name

Honestly? Not sure I can agree with the no flashlights one, especially with Asylum existing as it does. There are 0 lightswitchs in two main wings except in individual rooms or the light switches are impossible to find. I guess you could just carry a candle everywhere but that just sounds even more painful cause you'd need to keep a lighter around to light it again if it goes out.