Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

NienNunb posted:

It’s a good rule. Way too much snipping and personal attacks recently, not even in funny ways

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

MotU posted:

The only way you should be allowed to post about posters is if you purchase a cameo from a wrestler to do it instead

Add this to the rules, honestly.

But if you ever want to make fun of my Adam Cole opinions you have my permission. That should also be added to the rules.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in a lot of places online, and probably the busiest subforums here, attempting to ostracize people is considered a reasonable or at least somewhat tolerable counter to on-topic criticism or non-ludicrous opposing views. as i alluded to, i think it's at least partially to do with the traffic. "gently caress this guy," and things of that nature tend to get lost in the shuffle. in my opinion each person's posting routine behavior tends to be shaped by their environment and peers to a degree and i kind of empathize with that because i love having my rear end whooped every god drat day but that's fine. well, i forgot what was going on. warnings seem like a fair thing before probes longer than a day, unless the person is repeatedly not getting the idea which in fairness i believe is something that has happened recently. i am not privy to any possible pm exchanges that may or may not have gone on. please ask an administrator to make the user 'Shayna Baszler' a moderator for Punch Sport Pagoda. that was their last posting wish and could bring them back. thanks very much

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please don't respond to me at all if you post in here now. it's been quite a long time and i don't think it's fair to re-engage someone about something from a week ago. in other words, frankly, it's over with.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cavauro posted:

please don't respond to me at all if you post in here now. it's been quite a long time and i don't think it's fair to re-engage someone about something from a week ago. in other words, frankly, it's over with.

*Most Stallone voice I can muster*

Ain't nothing over till it's over

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he asked nicely dude

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im not an ik or moderator please direct PMs to karmicknight or the other person that never posts here

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think the FBI arrests me if I try to exert my IK authority outside of the MMA threads but my inbox is available for Subforum Emergencies

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
whats the joke about the new subforum name

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

whats the joke about the new subforum name

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3388320&pagenumber=160&perpage=40#post523019326

jase passed

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

thanks i dont follow the mma threads so i had no idea. thats awful news condolences to all who enjoyed their company on here & of course to their loved ones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was wondering what it was referring to. That sucks. Condolences to their family and friends.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It mostly got taken care of in the thread, but in the future it’d be nice if manifestos calling people out and asking for them to be removed, making stuff up, etc etc, not be allowed. Incredibly insulting and offensive and the opposite of a good contribution + welcoming environment.

Obviously I was named so it hits a little different, but there are so many better different avenues to get those feelings out, instead of whatever that was.

I PM’d Lid to ask him wtf he was talking about and he said he gets PMs every day from people literally scared to post in this forum, and specifically scared and intimidated by me, which seems very silly, but if that’s the case I’m sorry for being very scary, and I hope in the future the people who are scared can find courage to post about professional wrestling.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Genuinely confused about all of this, especially my inclusion in it. I know I can be abrasive at times about my pro wrestling takes but to be accused of bullying took me at least a little bit by surprise. I hold no posting enemies in my heart, only posting friends that haven’t been made yet.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

*stands up, clears throat, adjusts tie*

y'know, with everything going on in this forum- *gets booted in the face by yea ok*

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

NienNunb posted:

Genuinely confused about all of this, especially my inclusion in it. I know I can be abrasive at times about my pro wrestling takes but to be accused of bullying took me at least a little bit by surprise. I hold no posting enemies in my heart, only posting friends that haven’t been made yet.

I am unironically NeinNunb's Posting Foil and I have never once felt bullied by him. If anything it is I who is the Troll and Bully

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

As someone who doesn't post that much I'll just chime in that I've never once felt intimated or whatever about posting on this here wrestling board and frankly it's pretty hard to relate to what people have been saying about that. I just post and if someone calls me a clown or whatever I laugh and roll with it because holy gently caress, we're here to talk wrestling, this is all pretty dumb and ultimately meaningless bullshit.

If you feel like you're being ganged up on by mean posters on the wrestling forum I'd suggest that you have options:

1) Respond and defend you're position

2) Ignore the poster(s) and continue to post thoughts about wrestling

3) Log off and take a walk or eat some ice cream or something, come back when you're ready to talk about the humans who pretend to fight each other for entertainment purposes

There's clearly a culture-clash of sorts on this forum and in my perfect world we'd all just learn how to tolerate one another's bad posts and move on with our lives, but here we are :shrug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

why is it that the people who feel ganged up on have to learn to tolerate while the people who feel like ganging up remain free to respond to posts they find bad by doing exactly that in that scenario

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gonna add my two cents and say its actually the extremely hostile / overly emotional posters melting down and hurling weird accusations that can make this place unwelcoming at times and the thread seemed fine until (ironically, given the accusations of secret cabals) a couple of posters started "ganging up" on multiple random posters for several pages for reasons that are still ambiguous.

Posting about posters if you weel.

Those are the "white noise posts" to me but I realize I'm not the protagonist of the subforum and I brave the posts I don't like or care about, and come on here most days to have fun reading and talking about wrestling

The only posters in PSP who ever intimidated me into not posting were rovert and our mod lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lids posts were a pretty accurate description of the weekly AEW thread IMO.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I agree all these posters are mean but I'm a bit sad I didn't make the list.

E: Me barely posting in the threads anymore has nothing to do with being intimidated by any of the evil posters.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everyone is just exhausting. Lid just seems mad that people don't want to talk about heavy political stuff in the wrestling forum and then congratulate them on what a great person they are. The people "bullying" Lid just seem to be totally incapable of closing their eyes and moving past a bad post. Just stop posting about posters and post about wrestling.

I even used to like talking about some political topics here but I'm totally burnt out on it because it's always a lot of people insisting we talk about racism in wrestling while people who actually deal with it in their everyday lives ask them to shut up and just let this be a place where they can enjoy something without being reminded the a lot of the world hates them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that there's necessarily anything that can be accomplished from this. I feel like the forum has been pushing towards what it is for years, it was clearly because its what the regulars want, and it reflects the general push of SA and society as a whole towards less charitable treatment of each other and scoring points by getting the biggest dunk and whatever else. And that stuff isn't some unique sub issue. I just felt like I should speak up in the thread in support of a few posters who have always been decent and respectful and cool with me who were expressing sentiments I felt and others had expressed to me.

With AEW I think there's an increased issue that there's a passionate fanbase of the company and passionate fanbases sometimes act overzealously or irrationally. Some fans get over defensive and tie their own fandom or connection to AEW into criticisms about AEW. And some people just don't want to hear anything negative or critical about their team because they enjoy their team in all or nothing standards. And that's become a big part of the sub's identity. "Always bad" and all. There tends to be an either group consensus love or a group consensus hate for X and if you're against that consensus its not really worth speaking up because you'll just be met with hostility and insults no matter how you approach it.

I don't think anything is accomplished by calling out individuals either. There are people who post a certain way, be it aggressively hostile to certain topics or posters or just generally with "a gimmick" or attitude that amuses them. And again, everyone can see this and knows these people and its just felt like the forum has embraced this and celebrated it so like... what can you do? I do think there's a pattern of behavior. I used the term "clubhouse" because I do think there's some posters who really seem to feel like the these threads are their hang out zones and when the conversation goes somewhere they don't like instead of just ignoring it and letting it run its course they scream and insult and shitpost to gently caress it all up and shift it back where they want. And I think that's probably the "bullying" or "dogpiling" thing people are getting at.

I don't know if I'd call this "bullying". I certainly don't believe its broadly targeted. Its just an unwelcoming atmosphere. I have a beloved friend who posts here who loves the forum because the enthusiasm for AEW matches his own enthusiasm and enhances his enjoyment for it. I get that. That's definitely what a lot of people are getting out of the place. Its what I've gotten out of this place at times. And maybe that's enough. I certainly wouldn't want to ruin that enthusiasm for him or others. Its part of why I just post less because... yes, to some extent I just don't enjoy the posting experience and feel like things i want to talk about were shouted down and just turned into messes... but also because it was clear those topics were unwanted and in turn I felt like my presence was unwanted. And that sucks for me but what can you do?

Like I said, I wanted to speak up because I wanted to support posters like Foochs and LividLiquid who have always been very supportive and cool with me. And I did say something including the "clubhouse" thing so I felt like I should clarify my position. I don't think its worth attacking individuals. Its not the fault of one or two people. Maybe its not even anyone's fault. I don't know. Maybe its just the forum the majority here want it to be. I'd like it if this place felt more open to people who enjoyed wrestling and AEW at different levels of engagement including ones who were sometimes critical. But I dunno. It is what it is.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I do feel like the AEW threads in particular have felt kind of hostile at times and dunks on folks posting in good faith a lot, which feels pretty bad. - obviously I posted about it before it all sort of sprawled out - but posting an enemies list was ludicrous. I don't think this is a clique of posters issue thinking on it like, it's just that sometimes folks are being a bit of a dick. Which is fine it just needs like a prove the normal way a mod does when it happens and move on.

I think most of the folks who've been kind of an rear end at one time or another aren't really being malicious so much as not thinking about poo poo like, so it seems pretty resolve able by just having a mod pay a bit more attention

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lid posted:

Let's use this post as a the startingon a page example of what happens when someone tries to say "it's a clubhouse" or something contrariness. These are the next posts.

None replying to each other bit all being dunking on the original person rather than engaging. So you have one person trying to be "hey this poo poo is hosed" and then four different posters all talk down to them indirectly. This happens ALL THE loving TIME. And then people act like oh there's no problem because it's not one person, it's a clique, and thus the blame is across several people and calling them out you're already in the minority as they outnumber you.

[...] if you ever try and engage you will be belittled by vacant holier than thou disrespect and then have a bunch of other hanger ons jump on to try and avoid being the next victim. This is too much and something has to be done because a thread for a loving pro wrestling show should not feel like expressing an opinion is carte blanch to attack people's insecurities, awkwardness or themselves. We need to do something.

Lid posted:

Except its not simple as, I do post through it because why not, but it doesn't make this poo poo OK or a non-toxic environment. This place actually sucks to post in for people who are not willing to put up with rampant elitism and pigheaded stubbornness. It's gone on too god drat long and this forum should be bigger with more new people posting but it's the same old people who want to cherish that after twenty years of following obscure indies and Japan and Mexico their faith was rewarded and no one will be allowed to take it away from them. [...] Theres so much mean spirit here by people and it's too much to continue to ignore and eggshell.

Lid posted:

Dude it's not loving terrible posts, it's good faith posts and when like in this thread or last week's thread someones were directly called out for being dicks on a good faith post it was brushed aside because for the lolz. The problem is the culture and toxicity and how it's supported to be aw yeah dunking is rad.
All of these I found myself agreeing with completely while catching up with the thread.

I omitted the actual people named from the quotes, cause I can't in good faith say I agree with them 100%, purely because I don't tend to check usernames all that much. But all the rest of it taken as general commentary rings absolutely true and Lid quotes some good examples for the kinds of posts it's about in the originals.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lid is angrier than I am but he’s not off-base. For all that (say) Sandman makes a stirring speech about touching grass, I can’t help but notice that he’s not up to taking his own advice.

“Your skin must be at least this thick to talk about wrestling” is ultimately bullshit.

Edit: STAC Goat nailed it for me. Thanks for the smart words.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea whats going on in the AEW threads or whatever as while I do watch that show I don't post in the threads at all but if someone is saying this

LividLiquid posted:

somebody bought me an avatar of the man who's likely going to be responsible for my murder because they didn't like a wrestling opinion I had.

it is very big :yikes: because...how does that user knows who is going to kill them and why was that happening in the first place?

:confused:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Gonna add my two cents and say its actually the extremely hostile / overly emotional posters melting down and hurling weird accusations that can make this place unwelcoming at times and the thread seemed fine until (ironically, given the accusations of secret cabals) a couple of posters started "ganging up" on multiple random posters for several pages for reasons that are still ambiguous.

Posting about posters if you weel.

Those are the "white noise posts" to me but I realize I'm not the protagonist of the subforum and I brave the posts I don't like or care about, and come on here most days to have fun reading and talking about wrestling

The only posters in PSP who ever intimidated me into not posting were rovert and our mod lol

I agree and you can see it in the WWE thread where three or four posters who absolutely hate me no matter how nice I try to be constantly gang up on me for simply not wanting to doom post all the time and because I like Cody Rhodes and don’t post constantly praying for his downfall or call him a CHUD or whatever and that makes a lot of people not want to post, way more than a couple friends making jokes and not taking poo poo seriously in the AEW thread.

Like it or not some people want to talk about WWE and not just the poo poo that’s bad, you can see it happen everywhere else on social media where there’s wrestling fans but I think the constant meltdowns and ganging up on people in the WWE thread runs people off. I think interpersonal drama in the AEW thread does a similar thing but I do not think people making jokes amongst each other runs anyone off. A couple people in there constantly are mean to me and like my friend said above you just have to post through it. Chris James 2 said I should be rovert style permabanned which is insane and the same 4 people that always rag on me with them in there quoted it in approval like, that’s bullying I feel. I don’t think anything should happen though except we try to be friends. We can all be friends I used to bicker with Shard I was a jerk we talked it out and now I have another friend.

There are distinct differences in sense of humor amongst groups of us here and that’s a good thing. I think some people aren’t getting the joke or just find them unfunny and that’s fine but a joke not landing with you is not bullying in my opinion.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Everyone is just exhausting. Lid just seems mad that people don't want to talk about heavy political stuff in the wrestling forum and then congratulate them on what a great person they are. The people "bullying" Lid just seem to be totally incapable of closing their eyes and moving past a bad post. Just stop posting about posters and post about wrestling.

This is extremely fair and I agree

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also to be 100% clear, I'm never going to stop being bad faith Charlotte Flair or Nia Jax fan because just mentioning them makes the worst people insanely mad. You can pry my bad faith posts from my cold dead hands.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

I agree and you can see it in the WWE thread where three or four posters who absolutely hate me no matter how nice I try to be constantly gang up on me for simply not wanting to doom post all the time and because I like Cody Rhodes and don’t post constantly praying for his downfall or call him a CHUD or whatever and that makes a lot of people not want to post, way more than a couple friends making jokes and not taking poo poo seriously in the AEW thread.

Also worth saying: there are people who dunk in the WWE thread but not the AEW thread. One place where I think Lid missed is the assumption that it’s a fixed group of people. Liking Cody isn’t a bad opinion even if you disagree with it. Same goes for disliking that run-in KENTA did that time.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly most of the people talking about getting ganged up on get most upset about is times they're objectively wrong about something and they got mad someone pointed it out. The fact Lid poo poo on MRT in particular is very telling, since I've been posting here he's been the best fact checker there is on this board. Either way all of the people here now posting about the fourm being toxic all post way more agressive than the people they singled out to poo poo on. Sorry that peope don't like you because you're a mean, angry person who's exhausting to be around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mekchu posted:

I have no idea whats going on in the AEW threads or whatever as while I do watch that show I don't post in the threads at all but if someone is saying this

it is very big :yikes: because...how does that user knows who is going to kill them and why was that happening in the first place?

:confused:

I believe the issue in question was that Livid criticized a wrestler for their gimmick of insults and edgy stuff and said it reminded them of "Trump like" harassment online they received. And in turn they were harassed with a Trump av. Which if nothing else is the pattern of engagement in the forum where often seemingly good faith posts - whether they're "right" or "wrong" - are met with deliberate harassment.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 20, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

somebody in that thread loves buying Trump avs for people who speak out against Trump stuff maybe a liiittle too much, that's for drat sure.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also to be 100% clear, I'm never going to stop being bad faith Charlotte Flair or Nia Jax fan because just mentioning them makes the worst people insanely mad. You can pry my bad faith posts from my cold dead hands.

Welcome to the bad faith Charlotte fan to real Charlotte stan pipeline my friend, i’ll see you in Valhalla (Charlotte, NC)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I also always assumed the thread that's just a collection of slurs mentioned in wrestling is what would be off-putting to new posters.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

somebody in that thread loves buying Trump avs for people who speak out against Trump stuff maybe a liiittle too much, that's for drat sure.

I don’t think this actually happens all that much. Can only really think of the one example. Do you have any others I might be forgetting?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I also always assumed the thread that's just a collection of slurs mentioned in wrestling is what would be off-putting to new posters.

That thread has less views than one weekly aew thread. Which I guess is separate from if it has value or not in any case. Well, now this post is zero information but there's not a delete button, oh well.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I believe the issue in question was that Livid criticized a wrestler for their gimmick of insults and edgy stuff and said it reminded them of "Trump like" harassment online they received. And in turn they were harassed with a Trump av. Which if nothing else is the pattern of engagement in the forum where often seemingly good faith posts - whether they're "right" or "wrong" - are met with deliberate harassment.

I don't really recall that poster saying that they received any "Trump like" harassment online, they just compared the wrestlers to edgy teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yea ok posted:

it’d be nice if manifestos calling people out and asking for them to be removed, making stuff up, etc etc, not be allowed.

Yeah holy poo poo wtf was that post lol