Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

One thing that really, really makes any situation instantly seem shady is seeing statements like "If you disagree with my decision feel free to PM me" etc when someone doesn't agree with a mod decision that is made. It absolutely feels like "don't raise a stink in public I'll defend my bad decision later in PM's and then it'll get swept under the rug" regardless of intention when it's posted and I can't be the only one that reads it that way every time. Even the best mod with the purest intentions just loses credibility instantly when that phrase comes out.

If people are going to be probated and told to take it to PM's whenever feedback is given especially if it's not trolling or outright insulting a mod why not just rename every feedback thread "Feel free to PM me" and lock it?

There have already been a few instances even recently where a mod or IK made a questionable call, came into the thread and apologized for or justified the decision and everyone was not only very cool and receptive but also thanked the mod for being transparent and realizing their mistake and owning it. Admitting you made a mistake doesn't make you look like a weak mod or whatever the reasoning is for the ones that never do.

When most of a thread has a problem with a call that is made telling them all to complain about it via PM might as well be saying "Your feedback doesn't matter" because realistically who is going to bother sending an effort PM that will be ignored? Please note that this feedback is directed toward mod decision feedback and not slapfights or people being monsters to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I can't be the only one thinking the PM sender should be named, shamed and permabanned right

Edit: This goes back to the whole everything happening behind PM's thing making the entire situation seem more shady than it should, and like someone sending death threats via PM is being defended against people knowing who did it

I dunno it just seems very weird every time and right after discussing it suddenly something happens, the thread is closed for days and it's all taken to PMs.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 5, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

It wasn't sent through the site

If it was someone that posts here and followed you or someone else off site to send death threats gently caress 'em, ban them here anyway. Being more of a coward with your hate and doing it off-site while making it obvious who you are shouldn't make it any more excusable and people have been banned here for far less. If you genuinely don't know who it is, I understand that. But then there's situations where we all knew who it was.

To be honest I'm still disappointed with how the Dr. Gonzo situation was handled when everyone knew it was the same person but whoops they've got a new name and avatar now, clean slate. That, to me, was a terrible precedent to set and sent a very clear message that if you pay a few bucks you can wipe clean whatever terrible hateful poo poo you send someone's way.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 5, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

It was sent anonymously from a burner email, there's no way to know who sent it

J-Ru, I'm sorry for continuing the discussion but I figured people should know why 'just ban them' isn't a workable solution

It's an important discussion to have. In the case you don't know who it was that's fair - but there have been cases like I posted about above where everyone on the entire subforum knew who it was and what they did, yet they're still posting today.

I'm just hoping future decisions cause folks to look back on previous ones.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

I know there's frustration about the moderation in here (I've been a critic about not doing enough multiple times in these threads), but coming in trying to dunk on them is gonna achieve gently caress all. My goal is for mods to actually use their buttons and handle repeatedly problem posters, that ain't gonna be best achieved by open warfare

Definitely this. Hopefully we can make actual progress without it just being 'say something lovely and get a sixer' time for people already frustrated. Not that I don't understand both sides, but lets meet in the middle and get some real poo poo done.

Breaking the cycle of 'we're listening, tell us how to fix it' and 'doesn't matter, nothing is going to change' has to start somewhere and maybe we're well on our way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

How are mods supposed to determine when too many jokes are made about something

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Congrats Karmicknight and I hope it doesn't make you weird like it seems to most people

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I agree with the decision of locking the thread for sure but after the classic meltdown Marching Powder got out of that nutcase it probably should have been goldmined instead of gassed lol

Its been a while since we've had a keyboard warrior comeback from a broken brain I think, that's a pretty old school reaction

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After an old school meltdown like that a nearly dead thread would probably have to be remade anyway for any hope for actual discussion - it's tough to have anything happen but page after page of dunks and lol's at that point

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

if you challenge someone to a fight in the streetbeefs thread you have to pay for their plane ticket or I ban you

Can you also add that you have to make a fight promo in video form toward that person before paying for their ticket

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This was another bad call in a recent string of them, honestly

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

cavauro posting in a similar fashion to like, most of weird twitter, doesn't make them a gimmick account and they put in real effort to contribute to this forum and i've never once seen them be vicious or bait other posters.

This is true and I can't even count how many times Cav has answered a question I've posted with real information

Those of you who see Cav as a gimmick poster that's your opinion and you're welcome to it but you're doing Cav a disservice because they contribute often and it's not their problem you don't notice

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've never actually went down through Cav's rap sheet and seen the billion things they've been hit for

Cavauro posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cavauro posted:

David was wrong about his dad dying but doesnt want to walk it back out of embarrassment. one of the worst names in scooping, writing, speaking, and thinking today. Don't sign my posts

Cavauro posted:

Ric Flair has died.

Cavauro posted:

what was your favorite graphics card of your whole life? mine was probably the old 8800 GT or the old Ti 4200. The old Radeon 9500, unlocked, was good as well. on that note What was your best memory in all of your past. i remember whenever i got lost in toys R us and kept on crying really hard and thought i wouldnt be able to go back home for the rest of my life, But i did.

Cavauro posted:

You must've thought you were still right when you posted that. well, pull up a chair because I've got a lot of explaining to do.

Cavauro posted:

Cavauro posted:

perhaps some empathy is in order, for those who can't stop being upset about nothing. All of us are that person at one time or another. just recently it's been me. i sent a really long PM to Chris James 2 earlier, by accident, and it was full of being madder than a drat hornet. i haven't really calmed down. gently caress you! no. I'm sorry about that

Cavauro posted:

i don't know

Cavauro posted:

look at this

computer

Cavauro posted:

I'm going to fart on your head!

Cavauro posted:

i believe it's because my grampy died. His name was Cavauro as well

Cavauro posted:

if I don't vote for the guy who has a 20 point lead on anyone else and is getting people to change their votes to him so that they will win too, then he might not be eliminated! I ripped my loving shirt again. i only have 4 good sh irts. i was told to begin meditating when it starts getting like a earthquake in my head and vision. calm calm calm calmauro. calm calm calm calmauro

Cavauro posted:

i get the message. circle on back to this post and let's restart the thread from there.

go

Cavauro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb-gvqsoi0

Cavauro posted:

i know it was the flow of conversation but i would like to do my fellow posters a solid and remind them not to talk about posts on this subforum in here. especially in these sensitive times about naito. it feels weird being IK and i don't want to push anyone to stop enjoying themselves too much considering the dumb ways that i interact with you all, so i'm trying to just be a guiding light rather than a 'force'.

Cavauro posted:

you can nominate me and i'll nominate you for that extremely embarrassing april fools thing

EDIT. i'm sorry. i doubt it was embarrassing. i read what you said, and it hurt my feelings so i felt my only recourse was to try and say something mean, but it rings hollow. Sorry again

Truly someone the posters here need to be protected from. There were like three legit probations in that entire rap sheet that were just so I didn't include them because they were bad posts. I don't usually give a poo poo about rap sheets including my own but there's obviously a pattern here and it isn't the person accused of trolling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

i still think whining about six hour probations is the dumbest thing in the world.

go do some pushups, go build a deck of cards, god knows your life is probably better taking a break from an internet message board for a couple of hours.

It ain't about that, chief

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Congrats to Brut and Karmic because you're two great choices but also condolences due to all of the poo poo you'll have to deal with

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Jokes on Brut. I nominated him.

Wasn't your own sanity enough of a sacrifice

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Been a while since we've seen a meltdown of that magnitude

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Our current subforum name isn't good especially if you have no idea what puro is

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't mean for me - I meant if someone who has never posted with us and is trying to find the wrestling or mma forum and they don't know what that is they'll never end up finding it

Last thing we need around here is even fewer posters

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Rings 'n' Things

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol well done everyone

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Encouraging people to watch current wwe is pretty cruel anyway

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

new forum hell yeah

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

This is the crux of the issue. I've been here for a long time. I've been posting about wresting since before wh2k existed. I've seen the culture of the board change over the years. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. The moderation here is legitimately good, and at its best this forum can be really fun.

Now look at the Imp Zone. Each of the IZ's individual threads could all theoretically fit in the Games forum, however they wouldn't thrive the way they do on their own. If you read them, there's very little "shitposting" for whatever that means. The posts all stick to a topic and the posters all try to contribute to the topic or make jokes about the topic. There is no rule there that you have to be positive about everything. The imp zone is not byob and no one is asking for a byob wrestling forum. In fact, I made a thread being positive about noted shitheap "Anthem" and had the thread ripped to shreds, posts edited to change the context to something funny, and everyone had a good time (i believe the thread eventually was goldmined even). I wasn't mad that people didn't like the thing I liked, it was funny. I know the posters there are posting joyfully and trying to have a good time.

So what does this mean for a wrestling imp zone? Does everyone need to love everything? No. Will positivity be enforced? No. Will shitposting be allowed? Sure, if it's on topic and/or funny. Are there threads that could exist in a slower moving forum that may not thrive in one with as much turnover as PSP? I think so, but more importantly I'd like to find out. Can a wrestler with a problematic history be mentioned without posters tripping over themselves to let the thread know that they hate the guy for the Right Reasons? God, I fuckin hope so. Would there be gameday threads and weekly discussion threads? I don't think so as I'd like to keep that a PSP thing, but if there was enough support for it, then sure. There is so little to lose here and so much to gain that the opposition from the like 2 people who really hate this idea for some reason is confusing and sad.

I won't post any further on the subject as it's been hashed out twice now and the general reception to the idea is positive. I apologize for getting heated at times, and will endeavor to Do Better in the future. Thank you for reading and hopefully the next time you see a post of mine it is about the treasure behind the waterfall.

For anyone that hasn't read imp zone threads this is a good summary of the feel you are going for

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MJeff posted:

btw somebody said cav or yea ok for IK of this place and I wanna +1 that. If this place would have a similar tone as reading their posts it is, imo a good thing for the subforum.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jape and Cav are the exact type of posters you want in charge of the feel people are talking about because they don't take this poo poo seriously and won't become try hard pains in the rear end who probate everyone for everything

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Every time we somehow land on the 'give the hateful pieces of poo poo another chance' space on the board

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sorry i've still got beef held over from the time one of the forums most notoriously hateful shitheads was given a pass because they changed their name and avatar so all of their sins were washed away and trust me guys they'll be better this time

My previous post wasn't about this specific shithead, who seems to have been dealt with

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's a dumb thing and having to direct people to it each week makes it even more pointless so I'm not surprised you didn't know

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Royal Updog posted:

Suggesting "Pumpkin Pagoda" for seasonal forum name

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

punchsport paghoula

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is Test Undead?

drat that's pretty good lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

remove thread titles and just have a question mark icon, make every click a surprise

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jackoff threads aside often times this subforum is exhausting to read and at least that one wasn't

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not jackoff shaming I'm just saying it was nice to read a positive, upbeat and chill subforum for a change lol

maybe someday we can have a thread in this one that isn't a complete fuckin' bummer 24/7

the aew thread was that and then tony had to go and say some dumb poo poo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fez_machine posted:

maybe watch more Japanese stuff because last time I checked most people are pretty happy in the Puro thread or the TJPW threads (NJPW is a different story but can you blame 'em?)

or y'know create a wrestling positivity thread that'll sink and die within a week or do what I do with the ChocoPro thread and keep a positive thread on life support while 2 other people occasionally post in it

you've already asked too much of me, I concede

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

if anyone wanted it to be pro wrestling stormfront I've got two pearls they can clutch

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

muffler madhouse

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

wouldnt want us, the distinguished professional wrestling fans, to look bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

If we change the name people might not realise we're the wrestling forum and actually look at it

lol