Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I built a fairly nice 26” hard tail in 2008. Chris King headset and hubs, Thomson stem and post, easton carbon fiber handlebars, to give you an idea.

It’s used but in good condition.

Would now be a good time to sell it off? Anything under, say USD800 and I’m just keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Last year was the first year we were in a house in a neighborhood with lots of kids, so we gave out candy for Halloween. This year, with Covid and all, it's obviously not going to be the same. Anyone has ideas for how to execute this year?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Trump has covid.

That's just great. Either it'll make him more or less incapacitated, adding yet another layer of poo poo on the election, or he'll go through it with minor impact, adding fuel to the "it's no big deal" argument.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess who has two thumbs and a wife who just got scammed for USD30 for five months in a row on some book club subscription she never asked for.

loving scammers I hope you get dick cancer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

It's a hoax. He's going to recover with no long term problems to convince his base he's been right about Covid the whole time.

Even if it isn't a hoax, if he recovers he's totally going to spin it this way.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Today I did a 26km walk

Good job on the other stuff too, but a higher hi-5 for that one. I think a lot of people haven't ever done that in their lives.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guys, I need some advice.

Last Christmas, my loving but not always terribly strategic wife got us both a DNA test. I believe it's with myheritagedna but I'll have to check. She just got the boxes, we haven't actually provided any samples yet.

It's becoming a little bit of a political hot potato. I don't mind spitting in a jar and learning that, yes, I am in fact very, very Scandinavian, but I would mind if my DNA ended up in some foreign database somewhere, and I'm not terribly interested in facebook messages from long lost illegitimate cousins-thrice-removed. What's the consensus on this?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Gigabit fiber here, but even Ubiquiti’s 802.11ac access points can’t go over 220ish or so. Also the fuckers who wired my brand new house with cat6 messed something up because I get link at 100mbit half the time and it’s such a spergy problem that I haven’t been able to justify throwing effort at it yet.

My ISP will actually sell me 5Gb but I don’t have any gear that runs above 1Gb and frankly it would be even more overkill than it is now. In fact, there’s two fibers and if I get my place registered as a commercial address I could, in theory, get dual 10Gb links.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

64bit_Dophins posted:

I filmed a pull with the 335d. Just a quick 2nd gear pull on the highway on ramp 30-60.

I'll post it if you guys are interested.

I understand that it is a very douchey thing to do I just wanted to film one pull before it gets sold because seriously the torque really is something else.

:justpost:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

It's amazing how two people who love each other so much can hurt each other so much.

That is, in fact, mind blowing.

You seem like a good guy so here's to things getting better. They usually do.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nm posted:

Uhm, I'm in escrow. poo poo.

Also, 2.625% They're basically giving money away.

Try being Danish, my mortgage is 1% 30 year fixed.

You can take a wild guess on what that does to the housing market and first time buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had commercial grade outdoor carpet installed on my covered porch floor, which is concrete so it has to be glued down. The guy installing it used a loving paint roller to apply the glue and I knew it needed to be spread out with a notched trowel. I questioned him and he insisted it was fine. I called the contractor (a major flooring company) and questioned it again. They assured me it was ok, that this "new glue" they have can be rolled out. So I thought ok, maybe I'm the idiot.

A week later the carpet was not sticking to the floor, it would come right up with minimal effort so I called the flooring company, and they send out the loving guy that installed it to check on it and of course he says it's fine, it needs more time to dry because it's humid. Whatever, of course he's gonna say it's fine. Another week later same thing, but now the glue is completely dried but just on the floor and not to the carpet so it pulls right up like it's just laying on the floor. I call again, but this time i say don't send the moron that installed it to my house, send somebody else, this should be obvious. So another guy comes out and confirms right away that the moron installer should have used a notched trowel to spread out the glue so the carpet would adhere properly. He was amazed when i told him the guy used a paint roller. I also told him about the "new glue" that can be rolled on, and he laughed and said there was no such thing and even if there was such a thing he obviously didn't use it.

So i call them back and tell them they need to pull all the carpet up a re glue it correctly, and they go on about how they have to contact Home Depot first and that they would get back to me. A week goes by no call, so i got in touch with HD management to get a refund on the install charge and i'm still waiting on that.

Funny thing is, and the other guy was saying it too, it was the simplest install job ever. No furniture to move, perfect rectangle slab, the guy maybe saved 15 minutes by using a loving roller instead of just doing it the right way with a trowel. Also why would the flooring company make up some bullshit lie about the glue to cover for an idiot sub contractor? It makes no sense, but at the same time it does. If you want it done right DIY

That’s the most infuriating thing, like watching a car crash in slow motion. Except the show starts when the driver orders his first drink at the bar.

Even if everything ends well, it’s a pain in the rear end to complain, explain, coordinate, be home when the guys (maybe) shows up, etc etc.

The guys who built our house put up an exterior railing in front of floor-to-ceiling doors/windows on the upper floor. They drilled a 14 mm hole less than 15 mm from the edge of a brick, then proceeded to mount a heavy steel railing to it.

I, a loving software engineer, told them “that’s going to crack” and lo and behold, it cracked.

Multiple times.