Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hello October chat thread, my name is Mode 7 and I have a problem.

My problem is that despite liking scary movies, I am an absolute scaredy cat when it comes to videogames. Even mild horror stuff tends to leave me incredibly uneasy/anxious in game form, and anything spicier than that leads to me shutting the game off, completely unable to play more. I think it's related to being in control of a character rather than being an observer from afar like you are watching a movie. In a movie, a character will inch up towards a corner with the camera hugging tightly behind them and my brain goes "don't go around that corner you idiot, the killer is there" and then they do and the killer is and I'm delighted because horror movies are great. In a game, where I am a character and need to steer them around that corner myself I go to pieces and absolutely do not want to walk around the corner.

(As a sort of aside, this is diminished by introducing too much of an action element. It's been ages since I played Doom 3 for example, but I recall all of the tension it was trying to build in its first hour or so evaporated the second I had access to a shotgun, because then if something jumped out at me I'd just reflexively empty both barrels into it which was cathartic and not particularly tense)

I didn't always like horror movies though - they grew on me as I watched milder stuff and learned to appreciate the genre and enjoy being scared by a well crafted horror film. I'm hoping folks can suggest something similar for horror games - what are some gentle steps into horror gaming that I can take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Have you tried Gone Home?

Yes and I expected something nasty to happen throughout most of it.
The bursting lightbulb made me jump sharply, but the bathtub full of red hairdye didn't fool me. Great game though.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

I have a few suggestions, because I'm similarly averse to horror stuff, and these are some games that I can just about handle, so they might be good entry points:

Subnautica - exploring deeper and deeper into the alien ocean really freaks me out, and I have never gotten past the halfway mark, but it does a good job of gradually elevating the scary vibes, without ever being true horror.
Prey - an immersive sim about exploring a space station infested with aliens. Might have a similar problem to Doom 3, since you can just shoot your problems away, but it has a great and tense narrative. By the end you're pretty powerful though so nothing is that scary.
Soma - a survival horror mystery game that has monsters BUT you can turn on safe mode so the monsters can't kill you. I haven't actually played this one but I want to.

These seem like some good suggestions.

Outer Wilds lead me to discover I'm more afraid of ocean wildlife than I had previously thought (if this describes you, you should still play Outer Wilds though, it was my GOTY last year and is loving amazing) but Subnautica has been on my "to play" list for a good while, that might be a nice lead in.

Prey seems very cool and was a game I wanted to try; I suspect being able to blast them away means I won't find it particularly unnerving but then again shapeshifting alien mimics trying to eat my face might do it!

Interestingly, Soma is one of the games that made me ask this question. Soma looked awesome and like a neat walking sim I wanted to play, then I discovered that it had monsters in it and that pretty much put me off it. I think when I last looked at it safe mode hadn't been patched in? I'll consider it, but being able to die isn't really the thing that I find a problem, it's everything leading up to the dying :haw:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

get your final guesses in for the next smash character before they reveal it's crash bandicoot in a few hours

Bill Rizer from Contra.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I don't mean to make you all extremely jealous, but I just got into the Shadowlands beta.

I have good news for you, then.

P.S/Edit: Did you get your crokinole board yet? Got mine. It looks great, playing my first game shortly.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The forum rename is 2spooky4me :(

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Boten Anna is better don't @ me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's past midnight here EA, let me in to Star Wars Squadrons already.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

hmmmmm Crokinole

Will take better pictures once I've had a chance to wax it.

I should have gone with the rosewood over maple, that looks gorgeous.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't remember why I've seen that before but I wish I hadn't seen it again

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I am more understanding of games produced in China, by Chinese companies, conforming to Chinese censorship requirements. The people involved there do not get a choice in the matter. When people are like "Wait this Chinese game censors Hong Kong/Taiwan/Tiananmin Square/Xinjiang/Uyghurs/whatever" my general reaction is well yes, they're a Chinese company operating in China under an authoritative government with near total media control.

What infuriates me - and why I have not given Blizzard any further money since the Hong Kong/Blitzchung stuff and never will again - is when a Western company actively chooses to participate in that censorship of their own volition. That's cowardice for profit.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

I got bad news on that front, basically every business globally has an internal document which says some form of "if you do the following things involving china like saying, implying, or even just making a deranged Q-anon caliber person that taiwan might be its own country you are fired"

"Everyone is doing it" doesn't mean that we shouldn't push back against it or take a stand where we are able to, to the degree that our circumstances permit. That said I'm not hounding my friends who still play Blizzard stuff, or saying that anyone who does is a Bad Person, just that I personally am not comfortable supporting them any further.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

I didn't say Im against pushing back, Im patently not, just it touches every kind of business from automotive to finance to music. If a company had business in, or like Facebook's pathetic rear end, desparately wants into china they have this policy.

Yeah apologies that read as a rebuke of you and it absolutely wasn't meant to be, I was just continuing to vomit thoughts from your jumping off point.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I adore the mechanics of traversing the world in Death Stranding and wish they were coupled to something that wasn't written by Kojima.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If nothing else, I admire Kojima for just unapologetically making the poo poo he wants to make. And don't get me wrong, I knew what I was in for re: Kojima writing before I started, there wasn't a moment 20 hours in where I was suddenly like "What a minute...could the writing be...real loving bad?", I just figured I had more tolerance for it than I apparently did because I trailed off the game as a whole and just haven't been able to get back into it.

Hiking around not-Iceland is pretty beautiful though, to such a degree that I found the other mechanics in the game like the ghosts and MULEs and stuff an annoying interruption into my placid game of Euro Hike Simulator 2019.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Holo.

Is it me you’re looking for?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What is the coolest video game bat?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Floating an idea.
So it occurred to me today that I've been posting on these dead gay forums for over a decade now, and with the sale finally having gone through I'm actually optimistic about this place continuing to survive.

I was thinking at the start of December I'd throw up a thread for a Something Awful Games Forum Time Capsule, and get goons to submit their 1, 3, 5 and 10 year gaming predictions, collate them all and then we can all enjoy how utterly wrong we were over the course of the next decade.

Would people be interested in participating in something like that? Is there more we should include? Does 1/3/5/10 give us a good coverage of time? Hell, if enough people are interested should we do this on a yearly basis and get some hot gaming takes rolling?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I mean sure but it's fun to post hypotheticals rather than stuff we all know is going to happen.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've just discovered that DOS platformer Crystal Caves by Apogee is getting a "HD" remaster including a brand new episode and it comes out in 2 days! I can't wait to play through Crystal Caves again, hell it was one of the first PC games I ever played along with Commander Keen, Cosmo and Secret Agent. :3:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Transistor

I liked Transistor more than Bastion and Pyre.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's gonna be a Streets of Rage x Yakuza crossover that's gonna be available for a limited time on Steam for some reason.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/statu...ingawful.com%2F

It’s a good year for beat ‘em ups.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It’s Sega’s 60th anniversary.

Edit: Sega published it, if you weren’t aware.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There’s a second hand store near me that has a ton of Atari Lynx games but no console. I sometimes idly fantasise about finding one somewhere so I can go in and grab some of the games.

Handheld consoles are neat.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Extremely excited to not use any of these features ever.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've started playing Crystal Caves HD.

The good is that this is Crystal Caves exactly as I remember it in terms of game feel. Moving and platforming is quite precise, the PC speaker sound effects that have long been burned into my brain are faithfully preserved, and the graphics update is a great cleaning up/modernising of the original without deviating far from the source. The new music I'm less enthused about - it's.....fine, but it isn't mindblowing and it feels weird to have these harsh PC speaker sound effects but smooth generic 8-bit music. I'll probably mute it soon.

The bad is that this is Crystal Caves exactly as I remember it in terms of 1991 euro platformer game design, full of pixel perfect jumps and boatloads of little "haha gently caress you" moments (though adult me is yet to shoot an air tank thankfully - kid me somehow managed to shoot those a lot). This means I'm hard pressed to recommend this to you unless you are the sort of person who sees the words 'Crystal Caves' or '1991 euro platformer' and feels a wave of fond nostalgia wash over you, or can hear the sound effect of hitting those snake enemies twice to kill them and leave their little purple goo piles when I type brrrrrrrDIP ... brrrrrrDIP ...... BEOWdaboop. If you do have a hankering to replay Crystal Caves for whatever reason though, this is a fantastic way to do so.

Pictured: A mushroom that is entirely decorative, a mushroom that gives you invincibility temporarily, and a mushroom that kills you instantly. Not pictured: Another, different colored mushroom that is a score pickup. You learn what these do for the first time by picking them up, which for the poison mushroom means instant death.

To be fair to the game though, enemies and obstacles have extremely consistent rules of behaviour - you'll generally die a few times to new situations/set ups but then can get through mostly unscathed by just applying what the game shows in terms of the rudimentary enemy AI - there's no time limit so you can always generally sit back and observe for a bit to make sure you're not about to throw yourself into the fire.

I only ever played the first episode as a kid so I'm excited to get through Trouble with Twibbles and move on to the second/third episodes and see what else gets thrown in the mix, and definitely excited for the new fourth episode. I'm going to bet though that the fourth episode pitches its difficulty to someone who has comfortably cleared all prior episodes though, so I think I'm good to play through the rest of the game first.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It certainly explains the amazing amount of food that the man can put away.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Posting my consoles I have owned (chronologically for now; feeling cute, might rank later):

SNES
Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
N64
Game Boy Color
Dreamcast
Xbox
PSP
DS Lite
Wii
3DS
New 3DS XL
PS3
PS4
Switch

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Celeste ranking list:

Celeste

What the gently caress is this bullshit Celeste ranking? You didn't even list PICO-8 Celeste. Shameful.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished Crystal Caves HD tonight, just playing on Normal. From what I understand, the Hard mode just restricts how much ammo you can pick up which is not a challenge I'm particularly interested in so I think I'm done with it now.

The new fourth episode meshes right in with the rest of the game, and the new worm enemies they add are an interesting challenge. All in all it was a delightful trip down memory lane and I'd be very happy if the same dev remade a few more of the Apogee shareware platformer titles. I'd love to see a Secret Agent HD or better yet a Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure HD - especially Cosmo, it's one of the first games I recall bonding with my Dad by playing together in his study after he'd finished work for the night.

The music for the remake still irks me - it's clearly NES-inspired 8-bit when it should be Adlib style FM synthesis - but it's mostly inoffensive. The game also holds up pretty drat well all the way through, though there's the occasional level with lovely design where you easily can end up taking a wrong path that leaves you having to restart, but you can't possibly have known that it was the wrong path at the time. The levels are short enough that it isn't too aggravating to restart, but I think the game is at its best when it shows you all the pieces and then lets you hang yourself (or kill yourself by getting greedy about points/treasure).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Cranking that good Adlib sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvZWKN-51Y

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

holy poo poo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think I can finally, definitively and objectively call something "anime".

It's this. This is "anime".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

My FFT save data was corrupted :cry:

Oof, condolences :(

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've been moving house and my posting has suffered for it, but thankfully we're semi-set up and have internet again so I can finally :justpost:

Got like 30 pages of thread to try and catch up on (because I genuinely enjoy reading it), but unfortunately I can't, because now I'm playing Hades and very rapidly my life is sectioned into two periods - actively playing Hades and thinking about playing Hades.

During my first run I didn't get why it was being touted as a GOTY contender and then suddenly it was 2:30am and I was trying to justify just doing another run instead of getting some sleep. I'll effortpost about what I like about it tomorrow. If I can stop playing it for long enough to do so.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So with the announcement last week of the very underwhelming Limited Run Games Monkey Island 30th Anniversary box set (here if you haven't seen it) I figured I'd rank the Monkey Island games. Interestingly, having written the word "monkey" out so many times means that it no longer looks like a real word to me. Monkey. Mon key. Monk ey. Monkey.

1) Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge Special Edition
2) Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge
3) The Secret of Monkey Island
4) The Curse of Monkey Island
5) The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
6) Tales of Monkey Island
7) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
8) Escape from Monkey Island

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm disappointed that that monkey island anthology collector's edition doesn't come with an actual rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle

Big same. I just can't justify $160 for what's included there. And I say that as someone (I think I've mentioned this before in a past chat thread?) who spent a fortune on the Myst linking book option for the Myst Anniversary kickstarter, so I'm clearly in the target audience of idiots with too much disposable income.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

:siren: Bingo Is Almost Over! :siren:

Accordingly, I will start handing out gangtags now. Quote this post with a picture of your bingo sheet and I will tag you up! If you don't quote me.

For completing one line:

For completing the entire square, your choice of:

Current forums policy is a max of three gangtags, so be sure to let me know what to do if this would put you over. You have the option to use [marquee] tags to have multiple tags on the same row, though there's still a character limit in the bbcode for custome titles.

I'll probably rerun bingo around January or so.

Bingo has been great, thanks - I'm glad that it's not going to be a thing every month but I'd definitely be down for once every three months or so! I've particularly enjoyed reading through people's effortposts in order to meet bingo goals. I actually plan to write up the rest of my effortpost goals in next month's thread just for the hell of it and because I want to try and get better at writing about games; I tend to have a lot of thoughts about games but suck at articulating them/writing them down and practice makes perfect.

Here's my square. If I hadn't had to move apartments in the back half of this month I could have gotten a full square but I'm satisfied!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

drat, just got closest to what (I assume) is a successful run in Hades on my 19th run. Finally cleared Elysium for the first time and got to the Temple of Styx, found the treat for Cerberus quite quickly and with no major hassles (I loved this by the way, I was so sad at the thought I would have to fight the majestic puppy), then got to the fight against Hades, which I'm not putting in spoiler tags because like... come on.

Got him down to 1/3rd of his lifebar remaining and then zigged when I should have zagreus'd and got wiped. I was using the fists with the magnetic pull special attack and just pumped the hell out of that with boons and hammers. I don't think I touched my regular attack button all run.

What a fantastic game. The moment to moment combat feels so satisfying that I'm happy to keep plowing away at it and the slow metaprogression and narrative dripfeeds mean that I feel like I'm accomplishing something even if I gently caress up horrendously and die to one of the Tartarus bosses or something.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Going on a trip this weekend to the rural town where my father's side of the family all grew up, time to sink some time into my Switch backlog.

The temptation to buy Hades on the Switch so that I don't have to stop playing Hades is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The tags are good actually.