Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Trump needs to be incapacitated, but survive, permanently diminished by his brush with death. He needs to be a persistent divisive thorn in the side of the GOP while unable to rally strong enough to win it so his brand of politics becomes a permanent laughingstock without the risk of regaining power. People seeing him brought low might convince a few more people to take this virus seriously until there's a vaccine.

On a more selfish note, I want him to be alive and suffer as he is jailed and imprisoned, his company destroyed, he is publicly humiliated, and his family arrested for being part of his crimes, and utterly incapable of doing anything to stop it. I doubt his NPD will allow him to feel anything besides persecution, but that will be enough.

I hate that Trump has turned me into a vindictive person and that he is the one to do it, but I'm past caring and I want him gone and I want him to suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

Medical/sci twitter has been in a state of nonstop "WTF are you doing?!!!" since Friday. poo poo I just work in pharma and I feel like banging my head against the wall. I don't care if Trump dies, but he's just exposing so many innocent people in the process (not the GOPers, but the household staff, journalists, family members of the ill, etc)

Despite the idiocy of his own health he's also modeling exactly what you should not do that a good 30% of the population will gleefully follow

A whole bunch of Americans are following trump off this particular bridge

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It gives them a chance for fear, uncertainty, and doubt about mail in voting, and the more they can muddy the waters the more cover they can give themselves for election fuckery

Thankfully it looks like it will be a blowout and I agree that either they find a few cases like this one and prosecute them (good) or don't find anything and prove they were lying the whole time (better) but I'm not without my reservations. Bill Barr has shown he doesn't give a poo poo about the truth and will facilitate trump power grabs wherever possible.

That said, messing with the mail has never been taken lightly, even though there's always a postal employee that thinks of this brilliant way to get off work early and gets nailed over it, despite it being a token warning to every new employee

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Pence was fishing for a soundbite. No matter what she answered he was going to twist it into "you're lying." She refused to give him that soundbite and pointed out that Trump's administration was packing the courts with inept and unqualified judges. It was about the best answer you can give because nothing can be taken out of it to slap on an ad, and that was the entire point of the question in the first place.

There is a strong difference between a candidate saying something and a candidate implying something. There probably shouldn't be but there is a reason basically all the debates are is people fishing for soundbites while trying to deflect other's attempts to generate them.

Also I am now fully prepared for Trump to lurch into the next debate, throw open his coat and unleash a swarm of flies onto the stage on the hopes they all land on Biden.

Yup, denying sound bites is a huge part of the debate. It's why bush did his famous "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... don't... don't get fooled again." It wasn't because he doesn't know the saying, it's because halfway through he realized he was about to give them a clip of him saying "shame on me" and couldn't think of a dodge out beside what he said.

I think Kamala won this one. Pence kept stealing time, talking over the moderator, ignoring the questions and jumping back to things Harris said that he apparently thought landed and needed a response. His answers were targeted to people who already Trump supporters, not to "undecideds". She was measured, in control, and seemed human and expressive, and generally answered the questions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What’s with that weird accordion gesture he’s always doing with his hands? Did people do that in the 80s or something?

Someone pieced together that he does it any time he's rationalizing something

I have no idea where it comes from. Most natural gestures have some relevance to what you're tryin to convey but Trump is an alien buffoon

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

So it turns out he wasn't going with the polisci 102 "we're not a democracy!" take and instead going with "we shouldn't be a democracy! (because then the wrong people win)"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Quorum posted:

I for one am thankful for the invisible virus shield erected by Northam and Bashear along the 36th parallel

Don't forget DeWine blocking it through Ohio

It's really amazing how easily this could have been a victory layup for Trump and Republicans, and Ohio's R governor proves it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bellmaker posted:

Big donors might be turning off the taps seeing the outcome looks bleak?

Most of Trumps money difficulties are due to this but I think they're shifting funding to downballot races

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
(Sung to the tune of "The Colonel Bogey March")

Mike Pence has only got one ball!
Bill Barr has two, but very small!
Miller has something sim'lar
and Donald has got no balls at all!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ewiley posted:

Please look at my parents dog, she was diagnosed with lung cancer and we had to put her down today. Please let this loving year loving end already.

I'm real sorry for your loss, she looks like a real good girl

I love brindles :3:

Slow mode edit:

Is this the group that's doing the WalkAway hashtag? I've seen several billboards for it around here

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 11, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Artificial Kid posted:

“Also we hate identity politics”

That’s one of the biggest conservative projections of the last 5 years. Their opponents, while not necessarily explicit Marxists, are mostly rooted in some form of dialectical materialism, while the conservatives both practice and simultaneously decry identity politics.

See also "virtue signaling"

Here's a fun article

AP News - A senior warning sign for Trump - 'Go Biden!' cry at The Villages

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

This law only takes the same majority to unpass as to pass. Democratic party has no will to power, agreed. Because they aren't for (in many senses of the word) anything except managing opposition to capital.

True, but judges are seated until impeached or die, so if it's returned to 9 justices they'll still get to remain on the bench unless the Republicans can get the 2/3 (or 3/5? I forget if that changed too) in which case it's moot anyway.

More likely they pass a law expanding it too, so the SCOTUS becomes nakedly partisan instead of just implicitly so

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Oxyclean posted:

The on air version seemed like a huge plea for compassion, comparing the situation to "like if your friend got lung cancer after smoking for years despite the warnings." Which completely downplays just how much of the covid situation rests on Trump and the admiration.

Maybe that's not entirely rehabilitation, but it kinda doesn't give me a ton of faith that we're aren't going to see plenty of "let's just move past this."

Better analogy would be getting hit by a drink driver after calling for everyone to go to bars and drive home

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought y'all calling ACB "handmaid" were joking and didn't realize she literally held that title in her church.

They also scrubbed all mention of her from their sites, including her signing onto a letter calling for the abolition of abortion

But really guys we've got to give her the benefit of the doubt because she hasn't ruled on any such cases and We Just Don't Know what she thinks!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

You said the original accurate pledge, the god part was inserted in the 50s to stick it to the commies

Uhh it started out as a propaganda tool invented by a fictional totalitarian government

Same time it was added to currency too

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

My favorite part of this is that he didn't use line breaks, and instead just jammed spaces in until he got to the next apparent line. It's not obvious unless you're on mobile, but:

Lmao do spaces count as full characters too?

Reducing my number of tweet characters to own the libs

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pacerhimself posted:

I live in Canada and I was getting Daily Wire ads on YouTube. Get the gently caress out of here, Benny boy. I do sometimes watch Forgotten Weapons, which is maybe the most dispassionate analysis possible of different firearms from history.
Gun Jesus and Karl are actually pretty good people and call out a lot of shitheads, plus the stuff they show is genuinely pretty cool

Abner Assington posted:

Because the Constitution is the greatest living* document!!! :freep:

(*But don't ever actually change it.)

It's amusing how unironic that stance is when the Articles of Confederation lasted, what, 8ish years? Before the Founding Fathers scrapped it and redid the whole system with the Constitution.

That is to say, however, that I would trust approximately zero of the assholes on Capitol Hill when it came to a constitutional convention and a new government.
Ah yes, the Founders, the same people who said slavery was cool and that slaves that couldn't vote could count as 3/5 of a person for congressional apportionment for actual voting purposes

Those founders

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The SituAsian posted:

The very aptly named 666 Fifth Avenue but they were able to (effectively, it's a 99 year whole building lease) offload it onto Brookfield Properties

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/666_Fifth_Avenue

Between this and a bunch of other stuff, it's legit amazing how many boxes Trump checks for the Antichrist

https://www.harvestbiblechapel.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/10-Characteristics-of-the-AntiChrist.pdf

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Found out my in-laws are voting Trump. The bitch of it is they are immigrants from Peru who are really blue collar, and only speak Spanish mostly, and my Spanish never got past high school level.

Anyone have any Spanish language gently caress Trump videos I can send them?

Ugh that sucks, hopefully someone has something that can persuade them

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Meanwhile

Hahahahaha thhtppbbbtttbt

Yeah I've just got an EFT draft all set up, take whatever you need my god emperor

The "X00% match!" is a proven psychological thing, people go nuts when they think they're getting double or triple their donation. In reality the honest campaigns just take some mega-donation and act like it's that "match" even though they get the same amount regardless

But I wonder who actually believes this ridiculous 900% craziness - no surprise if it's the dumbest of Trump supporters

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

At this point, they may just be measuring who the biggest marks are for later scams.

This makes so much sense and I feel dumb for not realizing it. It's always grift with these clowns

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Not traditionally one of the things attributed to the Antichrist, but it checks out

I struggle to imagine anyone who epitomizes a photo negative of everything Christ would represent more than Donnie does

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

helpful tip: they literally expressed opinions that run counter to the things theyve said now that fox news has its hooks in them.

Even people who are actively mentally fighting against Fox News programming have reported that it altered their thinking in really negative ways. Catching themselves looking suspiciously at others, vague feelings of unease of being under attack, etc

Fox News is brain poison

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DynamicSloth posted:

Whether or not she gets on the court won't be determined by an opinion poll. If her installation was massively unpopular among Democrats McConnell would still be happily ramming the confirmation through. Now also isn't the time for building the case for court packing, that will come a week or so after the election when the court cancels millions of people's health insurance.

Roberts was smart enough to punt on the Pennsylvania election vote, think he can convince Barrett not to piss off the (hopefully) fully Democratic legislative and executive branches?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/opinions/john-roberts-country-before-politics-pildes/index.html

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

about 2.2k just going off googling everything and seeing how much it costs on amazon. probably down to 2k/1.9k if you get decent deals.

Which, iunno, calling someone's relatively cheap gamer rig bourgeois is stupid but I'm not the biggest fan of a senator signaling a needless 2k purchase that you're playing a phone game when unemployment is skyrocketing. Not saying she needs to let the state reclaim it, i bought a computer myself recently, just not a fan of flexing about it, you know.

I took Carter's comment as a joke, considering how good both ilhan Omar and he are on economics and policy. It would be like ribbing someone for getting a new Toyota Camry or Honda Civic - you bourgeois traitor to the working classes!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Vichan posted:

Seriously though, what the gently caress is going on there?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He cannot appoint Devin Nunes to the FBI directorship; I believe that you need to be Senate-confirmed for another job first to become Acting-anything, yes?

Jesus Christ, can you imagine a Russian asset like nunes being in charge of an intelligence agency?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

They probably can't. Turns out trailer parks are a trap for poor people (because of course they are). See, they usually own the structure itself, but they don't own the land it sits on. So if they left, they'd be abandoning the physical structure they paid for and potentially still owe money on. "Well, it's a trailer. Just move it." Nope. "Trailer" parks are full of modular homes these days, not trailers. Moving one isn't as easy as packing up and hitching it to a dually and would be very expensive, if not practically impossible.

Even the ones that are actual trailers usually can't be moved. Those trailers have been sitting for decades, there are a ton of inspections necessary to make them road legal again to be sure they don't disintegrate into a pile of rust when you try to move them, and that's assuming all the hardware like wheels, axles, and hitches are still present and accessible

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

There is a skill that Cohen has that I don't have, and that's a full willingness to be foolish and make fools of people, and it's just... I don't know if there is a name for it.
It takes a special blend of being brilliant enough to keep at least three trains of thought going simultaneously (what do I as a provocateur want to happen, how would the character I'm playing be most likely to do that, and what is the state of mind of the guy I'm talking to and how do I manipulate that) combined with a complete and total willingness to make yourself look stupid, a disregard for self and ego.

Each of them individually are rare, both together are vanishingly rare to possibly being near unique in a generation. Andy Kaufman comes to mind as the last guy to do it as reliably, though SBCs protege in the film probably will be the next.

Nessus posted:

Put https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_ebQSY8eI on the Diamond Joe Camaro stereo

Look at this fool that doesn't know Diamond Joe drives a Pontiac Firebird with t-tops and a thunder chicken on the hood :colbert:

(I wish diamond joe was the real one :()

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pthighs posted:

While I completely understand this, there are times you need to refer to "the people that were here before whitey showed up" as a whole, and I literally don't know the correct way to do that.

While you should always use the terms the people themselves prefer, "indigenous/native people" is a good starting point that avoids the "America" problem

Wilbur Swain posted:

I call them "the people that were here before whitey showed up".

This works too

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

Some more of Trump having to campaign in places he won with 60% of the vote.

This is in North Carolina. Trump went to Gastonia for the GOP rally since 1992.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/us/politics/trump-north-carolina-rural-.html

I'm going to laugh that his rallies become super spreader events and a bunch of Election Day voters for Trump can't get their ballot in because they're too sick to go to the polls

And then I remember a bunch of innocent people will get infected and die because of these selfish fucksticks and I get mad again

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rip Testes posted:

Trump has been hosting rallies in swing states while Biden seems to hanging back and off the campaign trail this home stretch. How much of a 2016 vibe should I be experiencing here?

Trump is also campaigning in what used to be solid red states like Nebraska, Texas, and Georgia, and visiting places like The Villages retirement community in Florida

Whether he's doing it to get his dose of adulation or his campaign sees them as in danger of flipping and needing support is an open question.

They've also been pulling advertising funding from almost everywhere, while the Biden team is doing the opposite and trying to expand the map

In short: don't take anything for granted, but it doesn't look good for Donny dipshit

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Space Gopher posted:

First of all: as others have mentioned, this is peak doomposting and it's not actually worth spending time thinking about it.

But, for the anxious here (you know, all of us) I'll go into a bit more detail as a layman who has done some reading on the subject as to why it's not something you should worry about even in 2020.

There's a lot of secrecy around the specifics of nuclear war for obvious reasons, but there's a general understanding of how the chain of command and the football are set up in open sources. Basically, the point of the football isn't to allow the president to nuke anything, anywhere, at any time, and the most important thing in there isn't some Hollywood prop laptop with glowing buttons that sends a signal to a satellite or something. All the actual communication is handled by other hardware.

Instead, what's in there is very likely just a bunch of paper: potential pre-baked options for a nuclear war, and the codes necessary to securely say "this is definitely the president and I am ordering that you do plan XYZ" to missile silos, bombers, submarines, and the people on them who will pull the triggers. Those plans cover all kinds of potential contingencies, from relatively limited "counterforce" attacks that target an enemy's ability to launch their own nuclear weapons, to all-out "countervalue" attacks that are designed to annihilate enemy cities. The people with the physical weapons already have the details for how to authenticate and execute their little part of each plan: "program these targets into these missiles and launch them" or "fly to this point and drop a bomb on it" or whatever. They drill for this, and the whole system is set up so that once the president gives the order, there's minimal delay, context, or opportunity for second thoughts from the people who are going to fire off the nukes. They get their order, they go do their part of the chosen plan, and nuclear war happens.

But - everything that's in the football depends on executing pre-baked plans. The exact set of plans and codes inside the nuclear football is one of the most closely kept secrets on the planet, but I would be willing to stake a lot on the guess that "operation: Nuke The USA" is not part of it. The president could give an order to nuke LA and NYC outside all those predefined plans, but it would be subject to all the normal delays and opportunities for second-guessing that exist in the normal military chain of command. That's enough time for people to say "what the gently caress are you doing, absolutely not," the President would be 25th'ed, and LA and NYC would remain un-nuked.

Incidentally, the Cold War history here is some of the most nihilistically amusing stuff you'll ever read. For a long time, the US war plans all assumed that, if we detected an incoming Russian attack, we should just straight up level China too, because why not? Petty inter-service rivalries and lack of coordination meant that not-particularly-important bridges in Siberia were targets for massive nuclear bombardment, while major Soviet military bases went basically unscathed in the war plans because each branch figured the other guys would take care of it. The PAL codes (combination locks on the bombs and missiles that end the world) were set to all zeroes, because some of the more insane generals didn't want to wait to unlock them. Command and Control is a great introductory read, although I wouldn't suggest picking it up right now if the election's already got you on edge.

To say nothing of people like Vasily Arkhipov or Stanislav Petrov, who kept us a hairs breadth from nuclear war.

Or the bombs that crashed in I think South Carolina and partially detonated.

Or the nuclear-powered airplanes that were being designed

Edit: or how someone saw Doctor Strangelove and asked "could that really happen?" and after they came back they said "it is so so much worse than that"

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 29, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nazzadan posted:

They didn't, but one of them was 1 trigger mechinism away from detonating.
Yeah this is what I meant, "but for the want of an igniter " a nuclear device didn't blow up South Carolina

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I wonder if trump getting voted out will super charge the Zoomers to become significantly more politically active than Gen X or Millennials. They'd get the feeling that voting actually tangibly changed something bad, and at that could really cause a shift in support of voting.

I'm hoping this is a reverse Reagan moment, where there's such a blue wave it builds momentum for decades to come, and Republicans have to "triangulate" to even get into office again

I'm not holding my breath though (the cop kneeling on my neck will do that for me)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm loving this breakdown of the Hunter Biden "scandal" from reddit. It's like a Cohen brothers movie:

I will have enough for an entire book before this “scandal” is done.

Hunter, while living in California, decides to fly 3,000 miles to Delaware. All to drop off a laptop for repair, coincidentally at a huge MAGA fan shop. he decided to never pick up his own laptop.

There’s security footage of it, but it got lost. Epstein style. But don’t worry- the MAGA man swears he saw him drop it off. Turns out he has a mental condition where he CANNOT RECOGNIZE FACES (I’m not joking) he knew it was hunters though, cause of the stickers on the laptop... MAGA man, naturally, didn’t just erase and resell the laptop, but did the totally normal thing of duplicating the hard drive and spending hours sorting through thousands of emails to find one that suggests Hunter might’ve tried to arrange a meeting with daddy Biden no evidence any meeting ever occurred, but who cares.

In comes Rudy Giuliani, cyber security expert, and talking set of teeth -who was tricked by Borat, and periodically butt dials reporters on accident -he has ‘confirmed’ the info not even the FBI could. Rudy was so worried about the intel, he sat on the laptop for months until 3 weeks before the election.

Naturally, it proves Hunter was into pedo devil sex too, but the proof is secret and for Rudy’s eyes only. there’s a video of said drug fueled sexcapades, but again, you just gotta trust rudy

Rudy refuses to send any electronic proof of the emails to anyone. But it’s definitely real, and definitely exists Heh. Again- not a single news agency has actually seen any proof, except for photos of printed emails. This is why ThEY WoNT CoVeR iT

He was ‘confirming’ it the same time Trump received an intel briefing that Rudy was unknowingly being used by Russian operatives to spread disinformation. Lmao.

Rudy, tired of getting made fun of, tweets some more ‘source material’ text messages... except the text is in an app that didn’t exist at the time it supposedly happened, and...literally in Russia. Poor guy.

This was all also investigated by a real Post reporter who refused to put their name on it, as no part of it could be verified. Several news outlets also passed on the story for the same reason, including FoxNews and WSJ. Ended up written by Sean Hannity’s producer. Lol.

Now comes a guy named Bobulinski - alleging he, uhh met with Biden to discuss a Chinese business deal. He has proof, of course: ‘documents’ he says naturally, he actually hasn’t released anything.

The WSJ opinion section finally publishes a Bobulinkski piece. Note: opinion section, not news, as they still couldn’t verify anything. It alleges the above Chinese deal. They very next day, the WSJ news section refutes the entire thing, using Bobulinksi’s own source material.

Here comes Tucker Carlson. He is about to release a bombshell. All the emails. Proving everything. Unfortunately, these apparently only existed as single physical copies. The emails. Electronic mails. Only existed as one physical copy. (Got that?). Sadly, these printed non-electronic emails were lost (stolen!) in the mail, and no one ever made a copy , so we may never know which dog ate Tucker’s homework or who made-up this made-up story.

Next up is Martin Aspen, Swiss intelligence operative. He is the basis for many of these allegations and brought it public in a dossier that the PRESIDENT received.. it turns out he is not real. Literally, they made his face on a face generator and gave him a cute linkedIn profile at a fake company. Probably just a cover for the deep state.

I think I’ve got it all, but hard to say as they keep making new stuff up.

And of course this was written before the newest development, where Tucker's package was found, and instead of showing the world the damning evidence, he immediately reverses course and tells everyone to lay off Hunter.

Edit: and that Rudy showed off the laptop, which despite him maintaining this whole time was it an Apple, turned out to be an LG.

Don't forget Rudy's constantly changing story of how he got the laptop that regardless of interpretation implicates him in cyber crimes

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Propaganda Hour posted:

If Trump wins, y'all have to suck down a McRib
Conflicted now

Crini posted:

Yes, but they wait until the price of ground pig assholes is under $0.50 a pound.

Then they pounce.

The Free Market at work!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Solaris 2.0 posted:

God loving drat I want this dumb piece of poo poo out of power so bad. “Basic human decency is politically correct” now.

Also 100% this dipshit is going to go full anti-vax once he’s out and the vaccine comes out.

He will simultaneously be anti-vax, claim credit for the vaccine and that it being the best ever, that he single-handedly developed it himself, that many doctors have come up to him with tears in their eyes saying the vaccine wouldn't work, and deny the concept of the germ theory of disease

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This is fun. Lets game this out. If there was, just follow Trump's Razor.

What's the stupidest possible explanation you can think of that is reconcilable with fake Melania giving a speech at a campaign event with Trump, with unusual displays of public affection?

Melania renegotiated her prenup in the run up to 2016 which allowed her the use of a stand in if he became President. Because he's mr deals and didn't expect to win he signed. Because he's stupid he doesn't actually notice except she's strangely nicer to him (and why he's sometimes surprised she won't touch him)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

1glitch0 posted:

When I moved to Texas many years ago I had very stereotypical ideas about Texas. After getting over how unfathomable large it is, I went to the local HEB and saw a man wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. In a major metropolitan city. In a supermarket. I was just like is this a bit? Am I being punk'd?? Nope. It's just Texas.

Definition of all hat no cattle

Cowboy boots are good if you're getting in and out of stirrups and so your feet don't catch and break your leg if you fall off or the horse spooks. The hat is good for shedding rain and sun if you have to be out in the elements away from shelter.

A bunch of performative idiots decided they wanted to be like the hard, grizzled (predominantly indigenous and Mexican) outdoorsmen that needed such things and so play dress up as them

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

You know, at first I was really annoyed that Nintendo said Pokemon evolve when actually they undergo metamorphasis but I got over it.

We're laughing at you for being pedantic and demanding that a word with broad, multiple definitions and usages should be used only the way you think it should, like you're the official language police.

Also like the right haven't poisoned the well with socialism to the point that even reclaiming the term with technically-not-scocialism-but-merely-democratically-allocated-distribution-of-resources is itself a huge win.

The right has called even common sense spending on social goods "socialism" for so long to try and scare people that it's how most people engage with the term. The fact that people are saying "hey this socialism thing sounds kind of good" is itself a win and opens up the possibility of acceptance of "actual" socialism

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What to expect when you're electing

https://cumberlink.com/news/local/g...5161e84175.html

quote:

Security info request from Trump campaign perturbs Cumberland County officials ahead of election

Cumberland County officials received an email this week from the Trump campaign requesting highly specific details about the county’s ballot security.

The email, obtained by The Sentinel, went so far as to ask for the address and room numbers of ballot storage locations, and requested that the information be sent to the Gmail account of a Florida-based Trump operative.

County officials said they have not responded to the request and do not intend to, according to the county commissioners.

The Trump campaign described the request as “standard election transparency details,” but local officials find the implication — that the President’s campaign staff is harvesting election security plans through what appears to be a personal web-based email account — to be extremely concerning.

“It’s almost kind of chilling the sort of data they wanted us to provide,” Cumberland County Commissioner Gary Eichelberger said. “This is basically the whole security plan. We’ve never received a request of this detail and I find it troubling that one of the interested parties [in the election outcome] feels they have a right to information that obviously could jeopardize the security of the ballots.”

The message was sent Tuesday, according to emails reviewed by The Sentinel, from Leslie O’Shaughnessy, who said she was writing “on behalf of Donald J. Trump for President.”

The email contained an attached, bullet-pointed list of the details requested, which O’Shaughnessy described as being pursuant to “your office’s compliance with existing statutes and law.”

“Please respond to these questions no later than 5:00 pm EST, tomorrow, Wednesday, October 28, 2020,” the email stated, asking for the response to be sent to a Gmail account bearing O’Shaughnessy’s name, and also including a phone number.

That number is tied to an Orlando-area virtual learning center, as well as a personal Facebook page for O’Shaughnessy where she identifies herself in a publicly visible post as having “served as an appointee in the Trump Administration in Washington DC.”

A person who identified themselves as “Leslie” answered the phone number but declined to discuss their role in the email with The Sentinel.

The Trump campaign’s communications office confirmed to The Sentinel that O’Shaughnessy is a volunteer with the campaign, and offered an explanatory statement from Deputy National Press Secretary Thea McDonald.

“As part of the Trump campaign’s efforts to ensure a free and fair election, we have asked county clerks for information so that we can gain a detailed understanding of voting processes — and the similarities and differences that may exist in different jurisdictions,” McDonald wrote.

“Given that more than 500,000 mail ballots were tossed out in this year’s primaries, we must look into these critical issues ahead of November,” she said, linking to a Washington Post feature on the volume of vote-by-mail ballots that were disqualified in the spring due to late arrivals, missing signatures, illegible marks, and other reasons.

But the details O’Shaughnessy asked for in her email do not concern ballot verification; rather, they are specific physical security details for ballots and voting machines.

These include information on “the location(s) that ballots are immediately sent to when polls close (including address and room number)” as well as “the individuals who transport the ballots to the location(s).”

The campaign is also asking for “the time(s) when are ballots are transported to canvass site,” information on any security provided, and “the best point of contact for each storage location(s) of the ballots.”

Similar physical security details are asked for voting machines, as well as “If there will be any info still on the voting machines once they are stored” and “the time when any residual information is wiped.”

“The information we’ve asked for includes standard election transparency details, and election officials should have the answers on hand. When did transparency become a bad thing?” McDonald said in her emailed statement.

Cumberland County officials said they don’t see it that way, particularly given that Trump has spent months baselessly suggesting that the election will be compromised, particularly because of mail-in ballots. Trump has also suggested he will seek to use the court system to have ballots thrown out during the counting process in the days following Nov. 3.

The campaign has been particularly aggressive in Pennsylvania, filming ballot drop-off points and attempting to have poll watchers confront voters who were delivering or filling out a ballot at Philadelphia voting centers, according to reporting from the New York Times and other outlets.

“Taken in total with some of the other rhetoric that’s out there, this just magnifies our concerns,” Eichelberger said.

His colleagues, county commissioners Jean Foschi and Vince DiFilippo, also confirmed the existence of the email and echoed similar sentiments.

Foschi said it would be “highly irresponsible” for the county to surrender such information given Trump’s threats.

While the matter isn’t the only security concern that has made the county reluctant to do pre-canvassing of ballots on Election Day, “you could add it to the list,” DiFilippo said.

The commissioners have borne a significant amount of criticism over the past week since the county announced that it expected to cancel its previously planned pre-canvassing on Election Day.

Pennsylvania law allows counties to get a head-start on counting absentee and mail-in ballots by pre-canvassing starting at 7 a.m. on Election Day, a process that can involve opening, sorting, and counting ballots.

Full canvassing — to include the actual recording of the votes in the county’s election database — cannot begin until the close of polls at 8 p.m. on Election Day, but pre-canvassing gives counties a head-start that can save them a few hours or possibly days in their total vote-counting timeline.

Cumberland County officials said their decision not to pre-canvass was due to the expected volume of pre-canvass observers from candidates and political parties, and the difficulty of managing those individuals while election staff is also trying to do the pre-canvass work and provide assistance to precinct-level poll workers.

Critics said the county should have done more to secure a larger venue and additional staff to do a pre-canvassing. Many concerned callers at Thursday’s county elections board meeting said the county was creating a political perception problem if the county’s full results take longer to arrive than those of other jurisdictions due to a lack of pre-canvassing. That in turn could give Trump more opportunities to cry foul as votes for Democrats, more of whom have requested mail-in ballots than Republicans, are added to the vote totals.

But during Thursday’s meeting, the commissioners expressed concern that the marginal advantage of pre-canvassing was not worth the security risk of trying to do too many things at once.

At one point during the meeting, Eichelberger referenced concerns over dubious requests for security information that could be used to discredit the election — a reference to the Trump campaign’s efforts, although it was not explicitly acknowledged during the public meeting.

Legal counsel told county officials that the only means for the Trump campaign — as a private entity operating out of a Gmail account — to force the surrender of information would be through a Pennsylvania Right-to-Know request.

The Sentinel has inquired with the Pennsylvania Department of State as to whether any provisions of the state’s election code would require security information to be surrendered to a qualified candidate’s campaign, and whether other counties have received such requests.

Cumberland County officials said their understanding was that other counties in the state had gotten the Trump campaign email.

Earlier this month, the Associated Press reported on the Trump campaign’s strategy of pressuring local elections officials after the campaign sent emails to county offices in North Carolina instructing them to not follow a court ruling on vote processing seen as adverse to Trump.

Erik Arneson, executive director of the state Office of Open Records, which adjudicates right-to-know requests, said his office has never dealt with such a request seeking the election security information the Trump campaign is asking for.

“I’m not prejudging any case we might get or prejudging any facts,” Arneson said, but he offered some analogous scenarios where specific security information has been sought.

Right-to-know requests for the location and security measures where police store confiscated weapons, for instance, or requests for information on when and how government agencies transport cash revenue, have been shot down.

“Those are things that we have allowed agencies to withhold, because they do go to the issue of safety and security around critical infrastructure,” Arneson said. “Those kinds of things we’ve held are exempt under the Right-to-Know Law.”

Pennsylvania, and specifically Cumberland County, have played an outsize role in the 2020 campaign. Trump and his opponent, Democratic former Vice President Joe Biden, stand limited statistical chance of winning office without carrying the state.

Cumberland County has 187,404 registered voters for the 2020 election, according to the most recent state data. Trump received nearly 56% of the vote in the county in 2016, winning by almost 18 points over Hillary Clinton.

But in 2018, Cumberland County voters supported the top Democrat on the ballot, Gov. Tom Wolf, who pulled in just over half the vote in the county to beat GOP candidate Scott Wagner by three points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He's not even a valid write in candidate in Wyoming