Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is it with these idiots never pulling their mask up over their noses jesus how do they manage to put pants on in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

nevermind

Ratmtattat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 12, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Republicans simply declare that Barrett is the new justice. They are desperate to complete their power grab and weary of even pretending to follow the rules. The usual stooges will go on TV and say "Look it's already a done deal. We need to stop wasting time and save America!"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

For conservatives, history is myth building. It’s not something to be critically analyzed and re-examined.

You break any part of the myth, you call in to question all of it.

Same thing with jesus and all thoughts and actions "guided by god"

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

cr0y posted:

What is it with these idiots never pulling their mask up over their noses jesus how do they manage to put pants on in the morning.

Too many of my warehouse coworkers have started doing that. I'm glad I don't work in receiving; That department looks like a goddamn Kilroy convention.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013
They can't even admit the civil war was about slavery. How can they openly accept that the beginnings of america is built on literal genocide, that thing that evil people in bad countries do? To admit that columbus was scum is to admit the people who came here way back when just stole land and murdered natives. And that means the actions of the past have consequences for the present. And that means the US might actually be obligated to do something about the high poverty rates, suicide rates, murder rates etc that native people live with today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dick Trauma posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Republicans simply declare that Barrett is the new justice. They are desperate to complete their power grab and weary of even pretending to follow the rules. The usual stooges will go on TV and say "Look it's already a done deal. We need to stop wasting time and save America!"
They have plenty of time to vote her in

Also apparently Mike Lee is trying to get people killed with showing up and taking his mask off in the committee meeting

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao shedding virus directly on to Grassleys octogenarian head. C'mon gravity and biology, work together on this one

US Senate Hearing Room is good place for u kno what

(catching a deadly virus)

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Columbus was “white” and brought Europeans to North and South America.

If Columbus was a violent maniac perpetrating genocide, maybe I don’t feel so good about Western civilization coming to the new world. Stop making me feel bad, DemonCrats.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

How come Ted Cruz isn't in person at the hearing?

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

cr0y posted:

They do this because they are afraid of breathing into a mask. Breathing into a mask feels different and that makes them think they’re suffocating.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

A goon in another thread pointed out how funny it is the “revisionist history” is thrown around as a pejorative while you would never hear anyone talk about “revisionist chemistry” or “revisionist engineering”, because in those fields it’s accepted that theories and practice should be modified based on new/better information. History is the only field where the idea that our understanding should grow and change over time is intensely controversial to the general public.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

senate supreme court nomination hearings are a good place to catch u know what

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So I'm guessing that Schumer's quorum ploy, whatever it was supposed to be, was unsuccessful?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

letthereberock posted:

A goon in another thread pointed out how funny it is the “revisionist history” is thrown around as a pejorative while you would never hear anyone talk about “revisionist chemistry” or “revisionist engineering”, because in those fields it’s accepted that theories and practice should be modified based on new/better information. History is the only field where the idea that our understanding should grow and change over time is intensely controversial to the general public.

When Trump rants about new aircraft carriers not using steam catapults, that's him complaining about revisionist engineering.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

So I'm guessing that Schumer's quorum ploy, whatever it was supposed to be, was unsuccessful?

He said they wouldn't show for the votes, but would be there for questioning. It hasn't been attempted yet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ReidRansom posted:

It was never anything but a show of ... I don't know... anger? It couldn't actually stop anything but I guess they wanted to try it to say "we hear you" to their constituents or something gently caress I don't know.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315652617863864320?s=20

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hairy Marionette posted:

They do this because they are afraid of breathing into a mask. Breathing into a mask feels different and that makes them think they’re suffocating.

Reminder, these are the big, strong men who think waterboarding isn't a big deal.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember even as a very young child learning about Columbus and wondering openly how it was possible for someone to "discover" an inhabited country. I don't remember if I ever got an answer.

It's weird on many levels because you could just say first European/Old World discovery.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

A shame none of those Americans who hated the way Kavanaugh was treated actually voted in 2018, I guess. Do they still believe that whole "the blue wave didn't actually happen" thing just because the entire government didn't go blue?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm going to take it as evidence that he is more cynical than a true believer when it comes to COVID denialism.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, hey. Again, he doesn't care what over half the country thinks of what he's doing.

"We have the power to do this thing so we are going to do it." is a pretty lovely version of 'of the people, by the people and for the people'.

edit: VVV Actually irrelevant if he wrote it or not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He didn’t write that

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

A shame none of those Americans who hated the way Kavanaugh was treated actually voted in 2018, I guess. Do they still believe that whole "the blue wave didn't actually happen" thing just because the entire government didn't go blue?

Part of the issue is the Senate actually became redder.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

STIMULATE THE PEOPLE

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Morrow posted:

Part of the issue is the Senate actually became redder.

Doesn’t matter for this confirmation sadly.

Doubt McCaskill would have voted against her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember even as a very young child learning about Columbus and wondering openly how it was possible for someone to "discover" an inhabited country. I don't remember if I ever got an answer.

I remember in the 80s/90s it was kind of a transitional point when history books were first starting to NOT start with "Columbus" as Chapter 1 of the Story of America.

There started around then to be a token introductory chapter about precolumbian cultures. It wasn't much but it was something.

Anyone growing up before then, Columbus was Adam, the Progenitor of the White Race in the New World. Can't tear that down because then what do you have???

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

Because he's a coward and a hypocrite, next question.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

letthereberock posted:

Exactly! As a historian the very words "revisionist history" are utter bullshit. That's what historians loving do: reexamine the past constantly in new perspectives and angles to come up with a more clear and nuanced picture of the past. We are constantly revising and changing the historical narrative bevsuse human history is not some homogeneous bedtime story, jesus loving christ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree, although it's strange to hear it used in that context, I normally hear that phrase in the context of clearly evil poo poo like holocaust denial.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Did they make you stand and say the pledge of allegiance too?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They made me say the pledge of allegiance in elementary school, but the god part was cut out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Newspeak" started out as a neutral term too lol

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TulliusCicero posted:

Exactly! As a historian the very words "revisionist history" are utter bullshit. That's what historians loving do: reexamine the past constantly in new perspectives and angles to come up with a more clear and nuanced picture of the past. We are constantly revising and changing the historical narrative bevsuse human history is not some homogeneous bedtime story, jesus loving christ

Whats the term preferred for the uh I guess politcal adjustment and changing of history then? Other than bad work/not history I guess.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 12, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They made me say the pledge of allegiance in elementary school, but the god part was cut out.

You said the original accurate pledge, the god part was inserted in the 50s to stick it to the commies

Data Graham posted:

"Newspeak" started out as a neutral term too lol

Uhh it started out as a propaganda tool invented by a fictional totalitarian government

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

You said the original accurate pledge, the god part was inserted in the 50s to stick it to the commies

Uhh it started out as a propaganda tool invented by a fictional totalitarian government

Same time it was added to currency too

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pick posted:

I agree, although it's strange to hear it used in that context, I normally hear that phrase in the context of clearly evil poo poo like holocaust denial.

Yeah, "revisionist history" implies to me either things that didn't happen or didn't happen in the manner stated, or the ascribing of motivations for past actions that have no data to support them and seem to have ideological or political motivations to create a false argument in support of a proposition.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chuck Grassley is 87 years old and Lee is just breathing right over him, JFC. These people are willing to risk their life to jam through a justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When I was in primary school home room started with a student reading a passage from the bible even though it was not a religious school. They played the national anthem over the PA for us all to sing along with, and then the Pledge of Allegiance.

BUT... it was also the early1970s, and the entire world seemed to be on fire so that definitely eroded the influence of all that indoctrination. School curriculum was changing rapidly, most of the teachers were young and eager to make an impression on us. A strange blend of messages.