Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

"Look at this guy who thinks he knows how to work in government during a pandemic not declaring a pandemic a month before the WHO does."

It's not a fantastic take from Klain given how things would go in New York after that, but people are right to point out that we had a much rosier view of how things might go in February.

The larger issue with Klain is that he's being touted as some sort of boon to Biden and his eventual COVID response (seeing terms like "pandemic-response veteran" in headlines) when his tenure as "Ebola Czar" was a complete mess. He also has no public health background that I'm aware of and seems to be put in charge of things based on his personal connections, not his actual ability.

If looks could kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, it's appalling. If there was any lesson from the 2020 election, it was that the Dems can't keep taking Latinos for granted. Yet there Biden goes, deliberately ignoring the lesson. If it looks like she's going to get a role in the administration of any importance whatsoever, leftists and immigration activists need to protest it loudly.

Isn't getting a transition spot basically putting that person first in line for important roles in the relevant departments? Plus she worked for Obama, and pretty much anyone who worked for Obama and didn't make a personal enemy of Joe is getting a job if they want one.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Kaal posted:

Some of these comments seem like pure Republican fantasy. Cecilia Muñoz has been on the Biden transition team since early September, she was oversaw a 50% decrease in overall deportations as part of the Obama team, she's a longtime immigration advocate and civil rights activist, she's openly advocated against deporting anyone who is not a recent arrival or convicted of a serious crime. She was picked because of her experience in building out a transparent immigration apparatus out of nothing, which is precisely what the Biden administration will have to do.

"Serious crime." How's that defined again? Oh and lol I almost missed it, but why should "recent arrivals" be prioritized for removal? Is there an actual reason for this or is it because those are easier targets? Mentioning "recent arrivals" in the same breath as "serious criminals" is a fun trick I saw her do in an interview, but it seems pretty ghoulish to equate the two rhetorically.

And has she made any public statements about three year olds defending themselves in immigration court? I'd love to hear her take on that if you have any links.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Wait, Cecilia Munoz is this person?

"Before working for the White House, she was Senior Vice President for the Office of Research, Advocacy and Legislation at the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), the largest Latino advocacy organization in the United States.  At NCLR, she supervised all legislative and advocacy activities conducted by NCLR policy staff. She was also the Chair of the Board of the Center for Community Change and served on the U.S. Programs Board of the Open Society Institute and on the boards of directors of the Atlantic Philanthropies and the National Immigration Forum. In 2000, she was named a MacArthur Fellow for her work on civil rights and immigration."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Mu%C3%B1oz

Hardly the first person to act against their stated principles for the purpose of personal advancement. Won't be the last.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

generic one posted:

It looks like she was on the transition team back in September, but I can’t find her name anywhere on the agency review teams list. Maybe her name getting noticed is based on old news?

My understanding is that the Agency Review Teams and the Biden Transition Team are separate entities (the former is overseen by the latter). You won't find Ted Kaufman's name on the ART list either but he's in charge of the whole thing.

Muñoz being on the transition team was mentioned yesterday in this AP article which I think is why there is sudden interest in her.

quote:

Biden named Cecilia Munoz, President Barack Obama’s top immigration adviser, to his transition team, which some interpreted as signaling a more moderate tack.

Her being in Biden's orbit is not fake news, I'm afraid.

sexpig by night posted:

'you just keep giving us money to deport people and we, the executive branch in charge of the agencies that deport people, can't NOT spend it' is either her being coy to deflect or her just genuinely not giving a poo poo.

Yes, the executive branch has wide latitude in how it goes about enforcement. You only ever hear the argument "nuh uh Congress is making us do this" when it's something they want to do but don't want to eat the blame over.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

No you made up how she thought it was "cool and good" , dude. Learn to read.

She is definitely lying about it being an obligation under the law, though, so what should we infer based on that?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

That article in no way indicates that Munoz thinks deportation is “cool and good”, though. Further the article also presents different viewpoints that on their face contradict a uniform view of her work.

Ed: Oh this is USPOL, sorry, thought it was Polliwonks and expected too much.

If she dislikes it she sure is defending doing a lot of it based on misinformation about the relevant duties of the legislative and executive branches. But you're right, she never said the words "it's cool and good," you win this round. Congratulations.

Now is Biden going to deport 400,000 people a year? Because that would be really loving lovely.

Edit: seriously, do you want to have a real discussion about her impact re: immigration and how she might operate in the Biden administration, and what her appointment to his transition team suggests for his approach to this issue, or do you want to keep clinging to this pointless argument around whether or not she literally believes deporting people is "cool?"

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I don't think they can do that because their not the ones who tally the votes. The President of the Senate just presides over the objections. Just from my reading of it. They bring in two boxes then just count them. Basically any fuckery at that Joint Session is doom for our Republic if that were to happen. I was thinking more along the lines that Mike Pence wouldn't show up to preside over the proceedings or we'd get objections to every vote from Republicans where the house would have to hear 270+ objections.

If Pence isn't there they just have the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate (that's Grassley right now) handle it. And if he isn't there then they'll just nominate someone else to preside. It's how the Senate conducts their business anyways.

The whole thing is largely considered a formality, I don't expect any issues.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

generic one posted:

Apologies, I wasn’t doubting the story itself, the AP article just seems like it’s regurgitating older news. One example here (The Hill, I know, but it’s not the only one from back in September).

So, to close my train of thought, since I didn’t see Muñoz on the team page, it was possible they’re not actually including her in the actual transition, now that Biden’s president-elect.

I guess it would be nice to get a confirmation from the campaign itself.

That's because the ARTs are not the "transition." They are employees (edit: actually in this case most of them are "volunteers" but assume their work here is basically an audition) working at the behest of the transition. Strangely the Transition Team doesn't seem to be featured on Biden's transition website, just the Agency Review Teams. Here's the only list I could quickly find of the Transition Team that was established a couple of months ago. As far as I can tell none of those people are members of the ARTs, despite having titles like "Co-Chair" or "Transition Team Full-Time Staff." If they've all been laid off it was done very quietly, and I assure you Ted Kaufman getting fired would have generated at least one article. Another example is that Cynthia Hogan is on that list and she literally quit her job at Apple to join up with Team Joe. I doubt she did so with the understanding that she would only be involved for a few months and then told to pound sand.

The president appoints something insane like 4,000 people and those people go on to hire thousands more in each of the agencies they work in or oversee, so it's not safe to assume that someone isn't involved just because they haven't been generating recent headlines. Muñoz is definitely active in setting up the Biden administration which suggests she's going to be a part of it, or at the least have a strong influence on it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Honest question, what is Facebook doing that is illegal? What could they be gotten for? Same with the arguments to break up Google or Twitter or Amazon. I don't care for any of these companies. Amazon has ruined my loving city, but what is the argument?

Bullshit advertising and lies are being sold every day by a ton of media companies. Facebook took a ton of money from Russians and have yeah it's a propaganda machine, but... so? How do you take them down?

Could always nationalize them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

I suspect Mods or admins can help with removing noted racists from avatars.

No I think the Joe tags are here to stay.

Edward Mass posted:

I've never understood how one would go about "breaking up" Facebook. It's not like the Walt Disney Company where you can point to monopolistic behavior of controlling too much of the marketplace and horizontal acquisitions.

Facebook has acquired 82 other companies, so you could actually break it up quite a bit.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I'm sure Donald Trump having total control over all the dumb social media sites would have been super helpful in the last 4 years.

But you didn't answer my question. What are they doing that is illegal? Maybe there's an argument I don't know about, and to be clear I think these companies are ethically and morally trash, but what are they doing that is illegal?

I doubt they're doing anything illegal. They're a private company and restricting or permitting speech as they see fit. But they're doing something harmful, so they should be nationalized or strictly regulated. Both are difficult paths thanks to the Dems loving up on the courts, unfortunately.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

blunt posted:

Wouldn't that make social media worse because then the free speech protections that people currently think do/should apply to social media actually would apply?

You'd have more nationalism and conspiracies, not less.

Possibly, which is why I would argue some sort of regulation is preferable to nationalization in this case. Plus regulation lets you cover all the social media companies at once instead of taking them over piecemeal, but nationalization should be on the table for any industry producing public harm.

And even if it turns out poo poo it's still gonna be better than letting Zuckerberg run things.

1glitch0 posted:

Nationalizing of a social media site is absurd, but regulated on what grounds? What would that look like? How do you "regulate" Facebook and not every other single place where people use free speech?

Why is it absurd? The government can take over any industry it wants.

And speech is already strongly regulated. Go try to say a bad word on daytime television.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Bruh you obviously can be racist against white people. There's been indisputably racist crimes charged on hate crime laws on it.

I don't really get why 'racism against white people is functionally immaterial because it's such a minor thing' has to suffer this massive extrapolation to 'racism against white people is a logical impossibilty' it's such a stupid take.

The government, which is a power structure designed to forward the interests of the white landowning class, bringing charges of "hate crimes against white people" would not surprise anybody. But no, functionally you cannot engage in racism against white people because racism requires power that can be leveraged against the target of the oppression, and white people have the power.

It's not that racism targeted at white people is "immaterial." It doesn't exist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Definition of racism
1: a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

There's the very first definition in the dictionary.

People have written whole books on the intersection of race and power and how racism without power behind it is either meaningless or completely illusory, and your response is "well the dictionary says..."

Absolutely lazy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is it racist of me to say that white people are really good at committing racism

I might not say "good at" so much as "insistent on."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Gaukler posted:

How about politics?

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/1326965359744864257

Beto has hopped aboard the “boy, the DNC’s ground game sure sucks” train.

He sure went to a lot of trouble to not say exactly what policies they should or shouldn't be running on. But at least the DNC is getting critique from someone they won't be willing to just blow off as a psychotic radical.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Will be referring to the parties as the DemonRats and ReTHUGlicans from now on.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Trump won't be going to prison and no one is seizing his assets. He is going to spend the rest of his life golfing and giving interviews, and depending on how he plays the interviews he can readily transition into the role of Respected Elder Statesman whenever he wants. He probably won't play things that way but it is a door that will literally never close because the media loves redemption arcs.

Your best case scenario are some state level proceedings that get pleaded out, and I can guarantee the terms won't materially impact Trump's standard of living.

Wilbur Swain posted:

I'm late to the topic, but I actually read the last goddamn motherfucking five pages and now I get to chime in, regardless of originality or relevance.

The Democratic Party got its name in 1828, it's been called the Democratic Party for 192 years. It is one of only two viable political parties in the US. Right wingers started calling it the democrat party as a sign of disrespect. If you call it the democrat party, you are calling it something other than its actual name. You are either doing this as a sign of disrespect or out of ignorance. Those are your only two options.

I think most of the people in this thread using it will gladly tell you that they have little or no respect for the Democrats. Doesn't mean they're on the right, though, even if they're coopting that phrasing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Trump will never go to jail and if he were actually under threat of being arrested then Biden would intervene to stop it.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

And even aside from the actual historical context: as a general rule, when someone asks you to refer to them by their preferred nomenclature, and you immediately refuse and double down, that is not a sign that you are a cool and good person. That is a sign that you are a disingenuous shithead acting in bad faith.

Yeah don't equate this with things like trans people asking for their preferred pronouns to be used. No one is actually harmed when someone calls the Democratic Party the Democrat Party.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bolivia is bringing charges against the right-wing coup government now that the left is back in power and it's refreshing to see. I would love if Democrats would back up their "Trump is a FASCIST and he's going to DESTROY DEMOCRACY" language with charges that actually matched the magnitude of what they claimed him to be, but I'm not holding my breath.

vvvvvv I don't see why we should give Carter a pass.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Jows posted:

Maybe the presidential inauguration should actually be an execution.

OddObserver posted:

Personally, I'd settle for prosecution of the likes of DeJoy, and well, most of ICE personnel.

Even less likely than Trump getting convicted of anything, unfortunately.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The SALT deduction is policy that is explicitly meant to help the very wealthy and Pelosi et al constantly banging on about it shows where their true interests lie.

KingNastidon posted:

I mean, she's right. It was put in the Trump tax plan as a gently caress you to high tax democratic cities and states. It makes it all the more challenging for those cities to retain residents and businesses when their post-tax income would be significantly higher in Florida, Texas, Washington, Tennessee, etc.

Removing SALT cap does mean less tax federal revenue from higher income people in aggregate, and that's not ideal, but there are ways to resolve that are more equitable by city/state.

This is billionaire propaganda. The reality is that California and New York are incredibly desirable places to live and do business. The rumored flight of all the wealthy to Bumblefuck, Nowhere has yet to materialize in my lifetime, and limiting the poor beleaguered millionaires and billionaires to a paltry $10k deduction is not going to hurt them. In fact, let's make it a $0 deduction and see what they do. I predict it will be "whine a bunch and continue to live in their mansion," but maybe that'll be the straw that makes them finally Go Galt.

To even be paying $10k in state and local taxes in California you have to be pulling down low six figures, and the median individual income is hovering around $35k (median household is ~$70k). I don't buy the idea that this actually matters to anyone except, coincidentally, the exact sort of person who can afford access to a politician like Gillibrand.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

KingNastidon posted:

What sort of evidence do you need? With a lower SALT deduction cap, is a finance person can earn $400k no matter where they live going to have more post tax income in Manhattan or Miami? What about a tech person in San Francisco vs. Seattle?

Could you post any evidence that people leave states because of taxes? Because when I went looking recently I found plenty of op-eds and articles by the usual suspects saying that the rich were totally gonna flee California any day now, but no actual data or studies to back that up. People have been making the claim that the rich are going to abandon high-tax states en masse for DECADES, and the SALT cap has been in place for a few years now, so surely someone has produced a study proving that the wealthy are fleeing these high tax states.

In fact, one study I did find was from like 2009 and it found that poor people were more likely to leave, and that's probably due to cost of living since CA's progressive tax structure means a poor person gets taxed about the same here as anywhere else. Other migration data seems to back this up: mass migration tends to be from high cost of living states to low cost of living states. Taxes can be part of the COL calculation, but there doesn't seem to be much support for the idea that the wealthy are selling their Blue State mansions to go live in Missouri or soon-to-be-underwater property in Florida.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I refuse all raises so I don't go into a higher tax bracket. Make too much money and you have to pay the government to work!!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the current attorney general ran on prosecuting Trump and her predecessor burned the Trump Foundation to the ground and salted the ashes

That's great, but will she stick to her guns if she gets a call from President Biden asking her to knock off this Trump malarkey because it's distracting from his agenda?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Trump got the second most votes ever, but if anyone brought that up as a bragging point it would be ridiculous. It's a really dumb metric to judge the candidates by, and if that's your argument for why Biden would beat a competent fascist then you're going to be very shocked in 2024.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

On top of all that, Trump HAMMERED Biden on fracking anyway, his base really believed Biden was going to ban it!

Was talking to my dad the other day and he told me that Pennsylvania wouldn't have been so close if Biden hadn't run on banning fracking. Wouldn't believe me when I told him that Biden was in love with fracking and had pledged undying loyalty to the industry.

Dems put all this time and effort into telling people that they're turbo-capitalists that want to burn the planet down, and then a Republican comes along and just calls them an Eco-Communist anyways. And you end up with a huge chunk of people (even the ones in the Dem base like my dad) who only ever hear the conservative messaging.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

National stuff I agree, but California being such a large economy means its state policies can drag the rest of the country with them.

Also California is still 2:1 blue, but I don't know if it's as solid blue as people think

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1327472275298398208

We gave the country Nixon and Reagan. Assume the state could go hard Republican at any moment. Hell, a bunch of our Dems are just Republicans who want to be on the winning team. They'd jump ship to the CA GOP in a heartbeat if they thought it would win them elections.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 14, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I very much doubt Trump is alive in 2024. Yeah yeah, you'll live a long time on spite, but dude is grossly overweight, old and trying to ignore Covid through mystery drugs

It's less spite and more that he has access to doctors who are paid to give a poo poo about keeping him alive, as opposed to the rest of us who are lucky if we can afford to get a medical professional's attention for more than five minutes at a time. He might ignore a lot of their advice but keeping old people alive for another decade has advanced by leaps and bounds over the last thirty years. So he can probably keep living off of fast food and be around awhile yet as the procedures to keep his swollen heart beating get more and more invasive.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I personally wish we'd stop sideling anyone who doesn't say those words but we know would otherwise vote for those bills.

Are we sidelining tons of secret leftists who would totally vote for M4A/GND if we just gave them a shot? Because it seems most of the party is very much beholden to the pharma and energy industries and doesn't want to rock the boat. Maybe there's some who would support those policies if the party leadership were pushing them to do so, but the leadership from top to bottom is pledging that no such policy will ever be allowed to pass in their lifetimes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

partial student loan forgiveness for Pell Grant recipient who open a business for two years in a low-income area.

Whoa, getting a little too generous there. The pitch was three years. We need to be certain these people are really worth helping and two years doesn't cut it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bizarro Watt posted:

I feel like we knew this going into the election didn't we? When Biden was still deciding on his VP, it was reported that his campaign's internals showed that Harris wasn't having any impact on minority voters.

Harris being loathed by pretty much everyone was a known factor, yeah. She was picked to appease the Clinton loyalists and because Klob had a killer cop affixed to her during massive nationwide protests.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomers haven't even started entering the main positions of power, they're all still being hogged by Silent Gen zombies who refuse to die.

Demographics are destiny has done nothing but make Democrats more confident that they never need to actually do anything ever again.

Here's the distribution of the House members that got seated in Jan 2019:

The Dem leadership's youngest member is 80 and those fossils could be alive another decade or more, and the people coming after them are equally as ghoulish and will live another 30 years. If the plan is to wait for Millenials and Zoomers to take over, you're looking at probably 40 more years.

Edit: and I've been hearing the "oh ho ho the GOP is doomed with the youth vote increasing" for several election cycles. They are very capable of appealing to Millenial and younger voters, especially considering that the Dems don't seem to view it as worthwhile to pursue the demographic. Now both political parties are generally self-defeating and overwhelmingly dominated by people who were alive during World War 2, but the idea that they're doomed because young people voted Dem this election is a bit foolish. Here's party ID stats from Pew Research:

Both parties, and the electorate as a whole, is actually getting older overall, not younger. And while the Dems maintain a slight edge with the youngest voting cohort, it's nowhere near enough to be doing victory laps over the GOP's impending demographic doom.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 15, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Djarum posted:

For example Pelosi isn’t getting any younger and do you think for a second when she is gone that seat isn’t going to someone much younger and more progressive?

Younger? Definitely, if only because Pelosi will hold that seat until she's a rotting corpse. But progressive? Lol. Probably end up with London Breed in the seat.

Another problem we're going to face as the oldest libs age out is that they've been training a whole bunch of Gen Xers and Millenials to think exactly like they do and serve the exact same interests. Buttigieg is the most prominent example, but there are plenty of other bootlickers waiting in the wings.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Uglycat posted:

“This is why @FoxNews daytime and weekend daytime have lost their ratings. They are abysmal havingg @alfredenewman1 (Mayor Pete of Indiana’s most unsuccessful city, by far!) on more than Republicans.”

I've heard your sewers have the greatest wi-fi.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Joe Biden's religious beliefs have never prevented him from supporting horrible things in the past, not sure why it would stop him now.

Biden's extreme reticence towards denouncing any part of his career makes me interested in what he would say about his part in expanding the death penalty, seeing as the church has come against it in 2018.

He now claims to want to eliminate the death penalty so I would imagine his response would be the same as any other topic. "I was right then to believe what I did, and I'm right now to believe what I do. Anyways this Trump guy really sucks, huh?"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

meatpath posted:

I work with a couple of Romanian nuns weekly to house our city's homeless women. Hey, we've even got some mental health cops that are a tremendous help!

Not sure why you're on this kick of defending the modern day slave patrol, maybe it's your bit I dunno, but there shouldn't be mental health cops, there should be social workers. That the cops find it necessary to assign "mental health cops" (whether that's due to a lack of properly assigned mental health resources, wanting to justify their budget increases that come at the detriment of local health agencies, or merely wanting the positive press generated by running such programs) is a sign of the system failing.

All cops are bad. Yes, even the ones you personally like.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I identify strongly with that first tweet. My parents told me my entire life that I needed to go to college and it needed to be the best one possible, and so I got into a UC right out of high school. But when it came time to navigate paying for it, deciding what classes to take, figuring out how to graduate while minimizing the cost, etc.... I had zero help. My parents were grocery clerks who'd never set foot on a college campus, they didn't know how any of that stuff worked (and god knows they couldn't provide anything but the barest financial assistance), and guidance counselors at my high school were about as qualified as my parents to be giving advice. If I could go back in time I'd spend two years at a community college and transfer up, saving myself over ten grand, but there was no one to give me that advice when I was 17 and making decisions that I'm still paying for today.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I'll happily advocate for paying back any already-paid student loan debt if it means my debt gets forgiven. Public college never should have cost anything in the first place.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is better than nothing but...not great. People are going to have to push really hard on this.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1328441457980690434

Getting the PSLF program working properly again is probably the most exciting thing he said here.

Listening to the video, he doesn't actually pledge to provide $10k in forgiveness, he just said it's part of the House COVID bill that didn't end up passing. I think it's something he could be pushed to do (obviously he needs to be pushed to do a lot more than that), but I still want to hear him say "in my first week I will sign an executive order that will provide [amount] of student loan forgiveness to every borrower" or something similar. As far as I'm aware he has not yet made any such commitment, and he'll need to be pressured to make one, especially if the Dems don't win the Georgia Senate races since a GOP Senate would mean any legislative action on student debt is DOA.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Libya was going to be a genocide.

I wish people would stop stating this like it's a fact: https://www.salon.com/2016/09/16/u-k-parliament-report-details-how-natos-2011-war-in-libya-was-based-on-lies/

There is no evidence to suggest Gaddafi's forces were engaging in any sort of mass slaughter. Do you know what is a fact, though? Prior to us joining in this little French excursion, Libya had the highest standard of living of any African nation. It now has one of the lowest, and our war has led to the state becoming a goddamn mess with literal open-air slave markets and unending sectarian violence. Even Obama doesn't defend Libya anymore but liberals just can't stop excusing any war crimes their team was in charge of. It's gross, and I hope people aren't so credulous when the ghouls running Biden's foreign policy start pitching the next "necessary intervention."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Unfortunately that doesn’t work. It’s literally the lesson of the 20th century that, that doesn’t work.

clostering doesn’t work isolationism doesn’t work. There is no not of this world, everything is in this world and all hands are bloody.

The only massacre the US had power to stop was the one we committed. Stop murdering people and then doing this "oh well we all die some day" poo poo. It's despicable.