Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Slugworth posted:

What's the scandal on this one exactly? Biden has an adult son who fucks? Like, is there a dog involved?

They're extremely desperate for literally anything to shake up the race, because they otherwise have zero hopes of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Dick Trauma posted:

Every time Eric talks about this the number goes up.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1320745026733756416?s=20

Dear Trump family: I have already voted. Please stop making me try to vote for Joe Biden by making him seem cool. Thanks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Apologies if this has been posted already (I didn't see it):

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1320461444580691969

"I'm not crying, you're crying!"

Printing out a tweet and putting it in reporters' seats feels like such a characteristically Trump move.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

The fact that there's so much early voting this year kind of makes these numbers meaningless. Of course Trump's situational awareness seems to stop at "big number next to my name, good" so it's very much on-brand.

Yeah, he's working the refs, in the form of the media: "Why aren't you reporting on the good things about my campaign? So unfair, look at how unfair you are!" Of course, to everyone not already 100% onboard with him at this point, this comes off as a sign of weakness.

I'm sure it's also laying the groundwork for a close election night thanks to early votes not being counted immediately, too. He's priming his supporters to go apeshit when whatever purple state leads he holds on election night trickle away in the days after.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

whydirt posted:

Biden and most other Dem leadership, including known succdems, have specifically said the opposite and that austerity would be dumb during this crisis.

But horseshoe leftists are gonna horseshoe.

The head of Biden's transition team also said the following:

quote:

Biden adviser Ted Kaufman, who is in charge of Joe Biden's transition team, signaled in comments to the Wall Street Journal that a Biden administration may make the exact same mistake again. "When we get in, the pantry is going to be bare," he said. "When you see what Trump’s done to the deficit … forget about COVID-19, all the deficits that he built with the incredible tax cuts. So we’re going to be limited."

So the signals are mixed, to say the least. It's reasonable to be concerned, imo.

Also I don't think it's fair to conflate opposition to austerity with "horseshoe" politics.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kalit posted:

As stated in the post below that one, the Biden team backtracked that: https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/10/biden-presidential-debate-austerity-deficit-spending

I get that, but backtracking can often mean that you realize you said the quiet part out loud. Biden's been a deficit hawk for a lot of his career, so again, I think there's good reason to be wary.

whydirt posted:

There’s a big gap between being reasonably skeptical of a Biden administration and equating it to being the same as Trump.

Certainly. I never saw much utility in claiming they're the same, even hyperbolically, and I certainly don't think there is any now. Biden is very likely to win this election, so personally I think discussing what we can expect from his administration is a much more fruitful topic for discussion.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 26, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

The basis of this argument is, well if people's social needs are met they won't go fascism obviously they will be provided for and won't feel the need to find a competing ideology.

Right, but in the countries you're citing, the social safety net is increasingly frayed and unable to meet people's basic needs. That's why you're seeing less support for more mainstream ideologies and greater support for more radical ones.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

The BBC gives a good break down of Europe in the past few years.
Here is a good article on the many reasons right-wing populism has been popular.
An analysis of the United States.
On Brazil and Turkey amongst others...

Some point to economic trends, some point to the demographic trends, some point to internet, some point to traditionalism, and yes some point to Neo-liberalism. To me the only unifying factor here is the perceived loss of power of old demographics.

Well, but the fraying of the social safety net, the growing gap between rich and poor, and the economic collapse of 2007-2008 (and the one we're experiencing right now) may all be functions of neoliberalism. It stands to reason that these issues have helped fuel the perceived loss of power in old demographics, wouldn't you say?

I'm shocked, shocked that Rand Paul basically had to invent his own certification as a doctor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

But again, the countries that are more on the social democracy side of things have seen a similar rise of right wing fascim. Countries that were high on the equity index saw similar rises.

The social welfare programs they've taken for granted are fraying across the board, though. That's my point - the fact that these countries are more social-democratic than the U.S. doesn't really enter into it. What matters is that their economic power is diminishing before their eyes. As you said earlier, a perceived loss of power is at the root of neofascism. But things like purchasing power play big roles in how, well, empowered one feels.

Brazil is a good example of this: Lula's social-democratic policies were overwhelmingly popular, and did a huge amount to eliminate extreme poverty in Brazil. Unfortunately, his center-left successor was taken out in what amounts to a judicial coup, and her center-right successor's solution to an economic crisis was to reverse Lula's super-popular social welfare programs. People felt disempowered, and because they couldn't vote for the left-populist candidate (Lula) thanks to more court meddling, they went with the right-populist instead.

The point is, that loss of economic stability and upward mobility is what plays into the loss of power that creates fascism. It's not the sole component by far, but it's an important one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump whining that things were better for him before he was President

https://twitter.com/NPRmelissablock/status/1320838688373354496?s=20

"The President Show" predicted pretty much this exact monologue three years ago...:stare:
http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/yyx9pl

(skip to 4 min in)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Welp, Newsweek is leaning into the good ol' McCarthyism, it seems:

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1320735256220176392

:stare:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Panaflex posted:

Agreed. That was a total poo poo move. I know Local Ace Hardware stores can be hit or miss but thankfully the one in my town is awesome, carries everything, and is very OSH like (though somewhat condensed down). They stepped into the departed OSH here and filled their shoes nicely.

Here in CA there's a chain called "Outdoor Supply Hardware" that's been moving into old Orchard spaces, which is fun. Convenient name abbreviation!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Craig K posted:

or, you know, we could stack the drat court, an option even Chuck The Centrist Elemental Schumer's taking up:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1320869635819032576

He knows he's going to get primaried at this rate. He helped Barrett get to this point, and he deserves to pay for it politically.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

Decided not to bother doing what? Are you imagining that the GOP was going to defect even if this was monumentally unpopular or something? That they would bow to decorum? Short of literally murdering senators there was no actual way of stopping this.

I think the point is that the Democrats in Congress didn't take an opportunity to dig in their heels, drag this out for as long as they could, and turn it into a bloody shirt that they could wave. Which, yeah, correct, they didn't. It's a missed opportunity. It's a decision that they seem to have made with the calculation that it was better for their prospects of taking the Senate to get this over with quietly and quickly. We will see if it pays off or not, but I think it was a mistake - albeit one for which Schumer is much more to blame than Pelosi, of course.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

Again, you're acting like piddly rules are McConnell's one secret weakness when in reality there are as many ways of just ignoring it. An impeachment would never have made it to the Senate by now.

This is all of course assuming that this would not have backfired on the Dems and cost them their chance at the Senate and presidency, without which delaying is entirely pointless.

Even if we are to assume that the Democrats couldn't have done anything to delay this, Schumer et al. played every card they had in this terribly. They had an opportunity to raise a massive stink about this. Instead we got noted senile Dixiecrat Feinstein pitching softballs at Barrett and hugging Graham. The fact that Barrett's approval ratings have gone up significantly over the past several weeks stands testament to how badly they've botched this.

spunkshui posted:

If she is 100% going to be in the court (she is), it will motivate more democrats if it happens before the election.

This will require candidates running on packing the court.

e:

Xombie posted:

This opportunity did not really exist. That's why you can't come up with the mechanism for how it works.

To delay it, you're correct. But there was an opportunity for the Democrats to scream bloody murder over it, and they didn't take it. I think that was an unwise move, but if you disagree, feel free to let me know why.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 27, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I wish that were the case, but considering support for court packing is marginal at best, I don't really blame any Dem candidates for being coy with the idea of court packing right now. Better to wait till after the election and after the court has made an unpopular ruling than to jeopardize their chances next week.

Sure, I'm just saying, without that, there's not much for Democratic candidates to run on in this general realm. "Vote for us out of revenge"? That might drive some Democrats to the polls, but I don't think you're going to hear candidates running openly on that message, as much as I wish they would.

Xombie posted:

You're welcome to argue that they could have made a better media play out of it.

Great, let's talk about that. Do you agree with me that Schumer and the rest really hosed that part up?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rigel posted:

Absolutely not.

Cool, how did Schumer et al. not botch the messaging surrounding these hearings?

Deteriorata posted:

They attended the questioning to get all the soundbites they could for TV.

That turned out to be a mistake.

FilthyImp posted:

Lol how the gently caress is that a legitimate seating. Criminey

It's not. There was a big opportunity for the Democrats to shriek and yell about that. They didn't take it because they thought letting it go through uneventfully was the play. I think they were wrong.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

People are literally starting to riot in the streets over social and economic justice and that's not going away if Biden takes office.

This is what I'm counting on. I hope for Biden's sake that he realizes this is the case, because the temperature is not going to go down as the economy spirals further into depression and COVID doesn't disappear the second he's inaugurated.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

This is a terrible post.

Like, if you're going to post something idiotic at least include a comic or something.

Why? What is idiotic about it?

\/\/\/I don't think anyone is surprised that she got confirmed, but I know even I'm surprised at how little Schumer did to drum up outrage.\/\/\/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

They made as much of a fuss as they realistically could.

I don't agree with this at all. The ranking member of the judiciary committee humanizing Barrett, talking about how absolutely darling her family is, telling Graham that these were the best hearings ever, etc, was not "making as much of a fuss" as they realistically could. Boycotting the hearings completely and declaring the whole process illegitimate wouldn't have delayed anything, but it would have been better messaging than what we got.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

The Constitution says that the Senate gets to set its own rules, so the party that can scrape together 51 votes can do whatever they want to. There is no ruling from any higher authority that's going to change that.

You're mad at the Democrats for not using magic.

I think we're all on the same page that the Dems couldn't have done anything to delay Barrett's confirmation, but do you think they did as good a job as possible on the messaging front?

Because "demographics as destiny" is still true if your time horizon is twenty years, not five. The challenge is surviving long enough.

A lot of people can't wait that long. If the Democrats want the American political system to survive in anything resembling what it has been for the past seventy years, they're going to have to get better at playing this game.

Xombie posted:

If they take back the Senate and White House, no. If they don't, yes. We'll find out next week.

I think you're discounting the possibility that the Dems hosed this up, but it didn't have any significant negative impact on the election, ie: it was a wasted opportunity.

Sanguinia posted:

I never imagined the Democrats would even be making as much noise as they are about Judicial Reform, especially before the election. Words are wind, but I didn't even expect any wind, and wind can indeed presage a storm. But people are somehow even more hopeless now then they were for the last two horror shows even though the solution is 1) obvious 2) potentially within our grasp and 3) being at least openly considered by those who would implement it.

I think people would feel less hopeless if Feinstein's "questioning" of Barrett hadn't been such an incredible dumpster fire.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 27, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xombie posted:

The only opportunity they have for addressing the balance of SCOTUS is retaking the Senate and WH.

Yes, and the Democrats passed up an opportunity to wave the bloody shirt and make those things more likely. Instead, they went with a strategy that is probably going to cost Jaime Harrison's chances of unseating Lindsey Graham.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crain posted:

I've rewritten this post far too many times now and it's just this:

We're staring at the abyss, let people hope for one goddamned minute and stare at the sky instead.

I understand this and agree, but you're not going to find anything but false hope in the Democratic establishment. They're not our allies. Find hope and solace and reason for optimism in the activated, radicalized, motivated people taking to the streets. They're not going back to sleep after the election.

Deteriorata posted:

Neither does it make them incompetent. You must have the opportunity to act before you can be judged on your ability to do so.

Calling them "incompetent" for not passing laws they physically can't pass because they don't have enough votes is not very meaningful criticism.

Getting anything done in the last 10 years required cooperation from the Republican party, something the Republican party has very publicly made their policy not to do.

You seem to be another one who thinks they should have waved a magic wand to change a situation that couldn't otherwise be changed.

Calling Barrett's confirmation process illegitimate, and kicking and screaming every step of the way, wouldn't have required a magic wand. It's what they needed to do, and they refused to do it. Instead we got Feinstein tossing softballs.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 27, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crain posted:

I mean, I'm not one fooled to think that this election really "solves" anything. There's no reason to believe that even if the Dems get the House, Senate, and Presidency that they'll go as hard or as far as they need to really fix anything, and also manage to do it in two years before the dipshit US electorate decides to give the GOP control of at least the senate again.

The real answer is that if you're not hoping for the dems to fix anything then you better be preparing for some hard poo poo to go down, and not everyone is able to face that reality yet.

Sure, and to be clear, I really hope that I'm wrong. I really hope that the Dem leadership actually has this under control, and I hope Biden fixes everything if elected. I'd love to believe that. I used to believe that no so long ago. A revolution's not going to be an easy thing, even if it's a peaceful one. But at this point it looks like it's kind of the only way forward.

squirrelzipper posted:

Feinstein is literally senile. Maybe her district bears some responsibility for her presence. I agree the old guard sucks but you’re asking for symbolic gestures that mean nothing 8 days from a presidential election.

Her state, which is my state, DOES bear responsibility. I really wish more people had joined me in voting for de Leon, who is a douche, but would have been a billion times better than Feinstein.

With regard to raising more of a stink, I don't think it would have merely been a symbolic gesture. I think raising the bloody shirt (I'm sorry for using that metaphor so much, but it's late and I can't think of a better one) is an effective tool, particularly right before an election: "These fuckers pulled a dirty trick and stole a lifetime seat from us. They desecrated the sacred memory of RBG*. Get out there and show these fuckers that we're not going to let them take away our healthcare or our reproductive rights!" I get that some candidates are running on this, but it would have been a much more effective pitch if they had seized this opportunity and actually made something of it.

Kalit posted:

Again, what would this have accomplished? As I said before for how this was currently handled:

How would they have been able to say there was bipartisan support if the Dems boycotted the committee hearing and then voted no? Sure, the Republicans will lie about anything, but I don't think they would have had a more convincing argument there than they currently do with Feinstein calling them the best hearings ever, and their presidential nominee saying that Barrett's totally qualified, no reservations whatsoever.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 27, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Here's literally what Schumer said, on the Senate floor, today:

"I want to be very clear with my Republican colleagues," Schumer said. "You may win this vote ... but you will never, never get your credibility back."

"And the next time the American people give Democrats a majority in this chamber, you will have forfeited the right to tell us how to run that majority. You may win this vote, but in the process, you will speed the precipitous decline of faith in our institution, our politics, the Senate and the Supreme Court."

"It will go down as one of the darkest days in the 231-year history of the United States Senate."

Yes, he said this all after the fact. He should have said it before and during, as well as after. Every Democrat he could wrangle should have been shouting this before, during, and after, on all channels at all times. This should have been a tremendous rallying point for the Dems. Instead we got Feinstein and Biden complimenting a religious fundamentalist as her approval ratings steadily ticked up.

This has been a pretty clear messaging failure on the part of the Democrats. The fact that we don’t all seem to be on the same page about that is dispiriting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Serpente posted:

Of course they vote with the rest of the dems. Do you expect the left wing to leave the party, taking little power with them and weakening what's left behind?

I believe Ruzihm is referring to progressive voters, and they’re quite correct to say so imo. If the Dems in office aren’t able to use their power to even make a good show of trying to avert the massive crises the country is facing, it seems pretty presumptuous for the party leadership to assume that progressives (or non-ideological people who only vote during wave elections) will turn out for them in 2022 or 2024.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

So who's going to get infected thanks to this dumbfuck self-congratulatory pageant of excess? Because the White House is still a COVID hot zone and here they are having another tightly-packed, maskless superspreader party for Justice Pandemic Handmaiden.

Do we have to choose? ¿Por que no todos?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Kicking and screaming would have been ineffective. The best thing would have been for a Democratic senator to say something along the lines of:

"Mrs. Barrett, I'm sure you're a very fine jurist. I'm very sorry to see that your being here today is only a result of Mitch McConnell's duplicity, and that every decision you make while on the bench of SCOTUS will be looked at under a partisan microscope to see if you're being objective or if you're merely rewarding the party that broke every rule - including the ones it made up - to put you in that chair today. I'm hoping for objectivity, and expecting disappointment."

Sorry I missed this, but why would it have been ineffective? Not for delaying the proceedings, of course; we're all on the same page that that wasn't in the cards, but why would what you're suggesting have been more effective for rallying Democratic voters than what I described?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Undermining her legitimacy on the court gives the Dems a solid talking point every single time she votes for a right wing cause. It allows them to tell voters every time a case is before SCOTUS that she's only there because the GOP lied through their teeth, broke every rule in the book, etc. to get her there. The GOP won't care - they'll bitch and moan. But voters might, and bringing it up every time she votes for a right wing cause is a reminder that her tenure on the court is due to duplicity and stonewalling. If the GOP wants to politicize the court, you do the same thing with every one of their picks - and weaponize it.

I think we're arguing for essentially the same thing, then - this is what I'm talking about when I say "kicking and screaming," I'm just saying make the biggest stink possible about it. Do what the Republicans would have done. I know it's easier for Republicans, since they're more often in lockstep, but it looks like the Dems were largely in lockstep on this one too, so I'm not sure why framing this as a tremendous, illegitimate outrage before, during, and after the proceedings was such a tall order.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 27, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Murgos posted:

McConnell hasn’t gotten away with anything. Losing the senate and the presidency is not getting away with something. The only way he maintains even a small smidge of victory is if the Ds don’t act to expand and fill the courts.

Until the Dems pack the court, he is getting away with something, ie: a judicial system filled to the brim with right-wingers. The current configuration of SCOTUS is going to be able to do some pretty terrible things before the Dems even have a chance of reacting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Abner Assington posted:

Picture: Me, full of four years worth of Trump:

Oh, monsieur...you don't have room for one more wafer-thin October surprise?

Ringo Star Get posted:

With the amount of votes already cast, and minds already made up, it's really too late for them to do anything. If they had any real info a long time ago, that information would have been out the day that Biden got announced as the candidate.

Yeah, and the most damning part of this is, it's really boring. There's nothing here that's interesting in the slightest, and we're talking about Hunter Biden, ffs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hoo boy...tbf, they were probably already all exposed because of him by that point, but still. If they weren't already, they are now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This poo poo is wild:stare::

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1321563621470707713

e: beaten, kind of, but everyone read his posts in this thread. What a weird case.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

i cant wait till biden is president and decides to sic the feds on the protestors because lmao that will be hilarious.

A big flaming stink posted:

i find myself finding refuge in gallows humor in these times

Even so, please don't wish harm upon your antiracist comrades.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stickman posted:

He lost by 4% in a 2017 special election in an R+23 district. But then Lucy McBath beat Handel in 2018, so maybe he could have done better?

Either way he's basically baby Beto - middle of the road establishment liberal. Not Tlaib, but not Feinstein either.

Part of the issue with him is that he has sort of the "Mayor Pete" feel to him - he comes off as an overly-ambitious wunderkind who is all too eager to be coopted into adopting some truly awful policies down the line. It may or may not be a fair assessment of him, but I can see why people have their suspicions.

That said, could easily be worse for a Southern Democrat with a snowball's chance in hell of winning, and I hope he wins. That clip of him definitely raises my estimation of him.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 29, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Matt Taibbi especially breaks me because he had some really good write-ups during the financial crises and during the OWS protests.

Ever since Trump won, however, all of his articles/tweets/rants are about his online enemies or how Trump is totally playing 4D chess guys and its kind of awesome how he owns the libs!

Yeah, Jamie Peck of Majority Report and Antifada said it best IMO: "He's great when he's a political reporter; he's less great when he's a media critic."

e:

Space Gopher posted:

Command and Control is a great introductory read, although I wouldn't suggest picking it up right now if the election's already got you on edge.

Great post, from one nukes geek to another. I second reading Command and Control. It's a very easy, if anxiety-provoking read.

Djarum posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/linda-mcmahon-once-employed-an-accused-child-molester-2020-10

WWE cofounder Linda McMahon, who runs Trump's biggest super PAC, once hired a suspected child molester on the condition that he 'stop chasing after kids.' He didn't.

The McMahons are associated with a pedophile?

Further proof that Q has been Jesse Ventura all along!:aaaaa:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 29, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just laughing at Greenwald quitting because the Intercept wouldn’t let him publish some trash he got sent by Tucker Carlson or something

Yeah, I've defended Glenn a lot in the past (and I maintain for good reason), but this is just sad. They've got nothing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Tucker's 'changing his tune' because there's one media cycle left in this election, team fatherland is down by 10 and this Hunter Biden poo poo is weak, this election was supposed to be about the race war.

It's remarkable how unlucky his team has been in this election, and how poorly they've managed to play the cards they've been dealt. Biden's been running a pretty lousy campaign, all things equal, but Trump sees every bad move Biden makes and says, "You call that stupid? I'll show you stupid!" God's reached down and is planting the crown square on Biden's head.

Oh! How magnanimous!:allears:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 30, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ring is on the wrong finger.

I mean, you can always flip it in Photoshop. In case you're envisioning him "stretching" something, of course.

eggyolk posted:

His articles explaining the fuckery behind the 2008 financial meltdown were really good and did a lot to get me onto the Sanders bandwagon.

I'm hoping he'll revert back to being a useful commentator once this strangest and most irritating of elections is over.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh wow, you forced everyone back to work and encouraged state level Republicans to kill all pandemic changes, and economy kinda recovered but Covid is literally at the worst level it's ever been. Great job :bravo:

I mean, tbf, Americans are dumb as poo poo when it comes to job numbers and equating the Dow with THE ECONOMY(tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

Biden's been running an incredibly solid campaign. He's had an incredibly solid, stable lead. He's raised more money than other candidate in history, by leagues. His gaffes have been few, even for Biden, and have received little to no coverage outside of the politics-obsessed chatter circles. He's going to the states that make sense. He didn't flub any of his debates or town halls. His VP has had no major scandals or flubs.

Nah, this has been a plodding, unmemorable campaign that has failed to effectively mobilize the largest minority group in the U.S., in spite of the fact that Trump is throwing members of that group into literal concentration camps. If COVID hadn't hit, Biden would be sunk. He's been extraordinarily lucky.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I really hope so because Taibbi circa 2008 (when i started reading him) to 2012 was really good. But I also wonder if he’s just broken in too many ways, and it’s probably time for a younger, new generation of gonzo-type journalists to come of age.

I gave up on Taibbi after the midterms when it was clear he was losing it.

Yeah, he has some very legitimate frustrations with the media and the things it covers, but he's allowed that to color his perceptions of everything and it's made him make some truly idiotic takes lately. See: the absurd cancel culture letter.

LeeMajors posted:

Tucker has no beliefs of his own. He is a bought-and-paid mouthpiece for billionaires, and he is somehow wholesome enough to beguile and bewitch an entire generation of codgers who are, at all times, milliseconds away from signing away all their assets for 10,000,000 Iraqi dinar or commemorative plates or whatever.

He's more than just a mouthpiece, incidentally - he's heir to the Swanson family fortune, so he's going to BE a billionaire before long.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 30, 2020