Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Hope is spreading throughout the land!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mustang posted:

When I see that Trump is taking experimental treatments it makes me think of the illness event in CK2/3 for your ruler that rarely ever have a good outcome.

If you have a good doctor the experimental treatments can not just cure you but make you better than you were before. In ck2 anyway (I made the system). So, we need to be aware that Trump may return with higher stats than before, but that his doctor may have to sacrifice himself or one of Trump's kids to achieve this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

arbybaconator posted:

I'll toxx for this. Trump isn't gonna die.

...ever? :ohdear:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh good, the Malignant Narcissist wants to take the entire country out with him screaming and gurgling in his own waste

My god 25th this fucker you absolute Cowards, this is Fuhrerbunker poo poo

It really is. When it was clear Germany had lost the war Hitler issued various orders to destroy infrastructure, power, water, food systems etc. so the Allies would occupy nothing of value. When it was pointed out that this would also kill millions of Germans he said it served them right for failing him. Luckily very little of this was actually carried out because even high level nazis had enough integrity not to kill off a big chunk of their own population to spite the victors. Trump seems like he has similar feelings, and even worse, the GoP is happy to go along with it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
So if Biden wins is there any change he can say "Yo, banks, please give everyone $1200/month. Landlords just don't evict anyone. We'll repay you in January"?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

If Pence wants to needle Harris over a gaffe then Harris should ask him what his mother thinks about him getting rear end hosed by a horse.

Any reason you assume it was a gaffe rather than taking part in the common meme that Tupac is alive?

Unrelated, I thought the bit about Americans having trauma reactions to the unending horror that is their lives was interesting:
https://eand.co/the-rise-of-the-american-idiot-dd6c85c445ba

quote:

I tell my European and Asian and Canadian friends, in return, that America really is different. It’s a place where death stalks people breathing down their necks every single day of their lives. What else do you call a thing hospital bills in the hundreds of thousands? “Medical bankruptcies”? A lack of healthcare is a very real form of violence, too.
What does living amidst omnipresent violence — the very real fear of death, otherwise known as trauma — do? It shuts your brain off. It triggers your fight or flight response. It fills you with adrenaline, fear, anger. You’re on a hair trigger. Rational thinking shuts down. The frontal cortex slows to a halt.

Is it the endless brutality and cruelty of American life that’s made Americans Idiots, then? There are the other forms of violence — the more visible ones. School shootings became just another normalized, accepted part of American life. America is the only country — the only country — in the world where masked men burst in, pretend to shoot little kids, and they have to pretend to die. What on earth? This doesn’t happen anywhere else — not even, say, Pakistan or Iraq, places where there’s religious violence, sure, but not regular school shootings.

You see, America has long normalized and accepted mass death on a scale that would have ruined any other society. Can you imagine school shootings regularly in, say, France or Canada? The government would have fallen in weeks. Americans shrug — and make their kids do “active shooter drills.” So maybe it’s no surprise that Americans don’t get that this wave of mass death is needless because they live in an ultraviolent society of it anyways, and have become resigned, apathetic, blind. They don’t even see, anymore, that mass death is an aberration — not a thing to be tolerated, normalized, shrugged away. That’s what my European and Asian friends hint at — but can’t quite say. Violence of a kind that exists nowhere else in the world by now has left Americans incapable — perhaps genuinely physiologically — of rational thought, of anything but responding in kind, brutality met with brutality, cruelty with cruelty. How else do you get to “lunch debt” and daily school shootings?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
https://www.vox.com/2020/10/8/21507513/trump-maria-bartiromo-coronavirus-interview

quote:

Trump’s authoritarian rhetoric about Democrats is completely over the top
On the topic of Wednesday’s vice presidential debate, Trump’s analysis was basically limited to smearing Sen. Kamala Harris as a “communist” and “monster.” Without a shred of irony, Trump repeatedly made dark insinuations about Biden’s health, claiming at one point that the former vice president “won’t make it two months as president.”

But arguably even more unhinged was Trump’s repeated calls for Attorney General Bill Barr to bring charges against Biden, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton for unspecified crimes, just weeks before the presidential election.

“Unless Bill Barr indicts these people for crimes — the greatest political crime in the history of our country — then we’ll get little satisfaction,” he said. “And that includes Obama and it includes Biden ... we have everything ... I say, Bill, we have plenty.”

Good stuff.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

massive spider posted:

It’s fundamentally a boring, unsexy issue to deal with. The things you have to do to deal with it involve making unpopular decisions, and its an “if you do things right-no one will know because nothing happens” type issue.

I suspect part of the reason Trump keeps talking about it as “an invisible enemy” is because anthromophising it as a battle is the only way it can hold his attention. For a man who only processes things by image it upsets him the defining issue of his presidency is one you can’t see.

I don't think that's true. People would love a good covid response, especially if it involved good stimulus/UBI for the duration. Even if the USA wasn't making GBS threads the bed there'd still be a massive worldwide death toll and Russia and Brazil's terrible responses to show how bad things could have been.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I'm still loving furious that somehow, anyone can believe we haven't had a catastrophically bad response with the highest population-adjusted death toll in the world. How the gently caress can you think that it is anything short of abysmal? It still boggles my mind.

While the USA's response and death toll are awful, it's only like the 9th worst in the world adjusted for population.

E: source - https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/
"""Good""" news though, you seem to be dying faster than anyone above you so first place is still possible!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 13, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

And so what if it is? I said those thermometers aren't great when it comes to taking temps and you went all "YoU aRe DeFeNdInG tHiS?!" which no I'm not. I'm saying it's not that big a loving deal given those thermometers suck when not in controlled environments.

I guess the point is that it doesn't really matter if there's reasons for a low reading or not, the whole reason to do temp checks is to weed out people with fevers/covid. If they don't do that accurately and they keep using them it's as bad as them being intentionally fudged low.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

"Gotta rake those forest floors and redirect those rivers from the ocean first! Waste of time trying to save these little, tiny fish!" :chaostrump:

...it actually physically hurt me to write that, like a reflex in my brain read it back and went "wait no, that's so stupid what"

Redirect those wasted ocean rivers into the fires, solved!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Kanine posted:

Sucks that Biden won’t extend the same understanding he held for his sons addiction toward the millions of people who’s lives have been ruined by the drug war he’s been so involved with for decades.

He said at his town hall meeting the other day that weed should be decriminalized and that no one should go to jail for taking drugs :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Cheque pretty sus
https://twitter.com/REALaltMiddle/status/1318797479245156352

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
"will no one rid me of this turbulent reporter?"
https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/27/lesley-stahl-death-threat-trump-60-minutes-interview/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

adoration for none posted:

In Florida they passed a minimum wage increase 60 to 40. Trump won the state comfortably even though Biden was talking about a minimum wage increase. Think about that, there are voters who voted for a minimum wage increase AND Trump.

What does that tell us?

E: fixed broken link.

This is about the 4th time you've popped in to report "news" which was posted pages before and discussed already recently. There's a thread search function now (assuming it works) which might help you if you want to see what's been said already and continue from there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Trump team appears to be suing PA to stop the counting:
https://www.fox29.com/news/trump-campaign-files-lawsuit-to-halt-vote-counting-in-pennsylvania-citing-lack-of-transparency

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's amazing that Biden both got more votes than anyone ever has, and at the same time won't be able to do anything because the senate didn't flip. Democracy in action!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Undoing executive orders

Letting the CDC lead Covid response instead of silencing them

Rejoining The Paris Agreement

A cabinet that doesn't exist to tear down the institutions they're in charge of

etc etc etc

yeah, he can do a lot

If I wasn't clear I didn't mean he can do literally nothing, but that it's pretty hosed up that a historically large popular vote win is crippled by a couple of senate seats not flipping.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Everyone posted:

So after the invasion of Iraq in Gulf War II the IraqI military was disbanded. Which meant that there were thousands of military-trained people with a poo poo-ton of time of their hands. And that's part of why we got ISIL. Abolish the police and you get likely get full-on vigilante death squads.

I don't think even a lot of Black people want to abolish the police. They just want the police to stop killing their children. Which is a reasonable ask when you get right down to it.

You put them in jail, OP.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

who puts the police in jail or keeps them there if theres no police

armed citizens, given the authority to enforce the law? known commonly as . . . police???

What a lame post. I dunno if you're being wilfully ignorant or this is actually your first time seeing people talking about "Abolishing/defunding the police", but generally few people want to do away with the concept of law enforcement as a whole. Instead, the idea is to get rid of the current crop of racist murderers and then build a new system more focused on social policing, social work, and de-escalation.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Djarum posted:

While I agree with you on a lot of points here I will say at least with systemic racism/sexism and privilege even if you are exposed to these realities often times they just won’t accept it. I assume some of it is learned behavior, which is a hell of a problem. The other part I feel is fear. If you look at how much hate is pushed towards the LGBTQ community especially gay men and trans folks it comes from a fear that either they might be gay/trans or that they know they are gay/trans and live in denial due to their fear. You don’t see this as much with women, even in the conservative side, which I am sure someone that is female can give a perspective on why that is. I have theories but I am not a woman so I really can’t have an arcuate view on it.

Along with not using slurs, you need to learn about TERFs. Not that terfs are the only bigoted women around, of course, but they are a well-known group if you care about LGBT issues.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
As always, it's projection:
https://us.cnn.com/2020/11/07/us/pennsylvania-convention-center-arrests/index.html
(Chuds trying to deliver a truckload of fake ballots)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Who is fighting this and how?

Finland springs to mind:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/28/fact-from-fiction-finlands-new-lessons-in-combating-fake-news

Deteriorata posted:

What is it that you want the government to do? Regulate news, and who can call themselves a news outlet and who can't? Regulate speech, as to who can say true or false things?

None of that is allowed and is actually how authoritarian governments behave.

Tucker's show, for example, should have constant, large "THIS IS PURELY TUCKER'S OPINION. IT NOT FACTUAL, IT IS NOT CHECKED, IT SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED NEWS." text on the screen at all times. This is Fox's legal opinion of what viewers "know" about the show, so they shouldn't object.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 9, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
When people say you can't be racist against white people, do you just mean in the US/in white majority nations? Because in Europe you certainly see racism against Slavs, for example. Or could a white person suffer racism in a non-white majority nation where the power structure isn't set up to favour them?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 13, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He told hispanic voters that they could vote for trump if they didn’t like him. Maybe not the best strategy for winning.

It's pretty bad, but Trump called them all rapists and murderers and ran on building a wall to keep others out. I'd vote for a guy who ignored me over a guy super racist agaist my demographic :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

No, I'm saying that I don't believe that Joe Biden actually supports a $15/hr minimum wage, I don't put much stock in something from his website as opposed to what I know about him from his long career in politics, and I think that a Republican-controlled Senate is a convenient excuse for why he won't fight for raising the minimum wage, or even mention it much now that he's elected. I would love to be proved wrong, though.

Do you think he knew Dems wouldn't win the senate when he laid out his policy page, or did he have a different excuse planned for that?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

This was the best part of yesterday's "press conference" and probably the inspiration behind all the mockery he received, don't think it's been shared here.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1332100157501018113

It would really help to know what the reporter said, but from comments I think this was his reaction to being pressed to answer if he would concede when the EC votes are in.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

Anyone had a look at this? It's been making the rounds on twitter and seems to be the main statistical evidence trumpers are citing. https://votepatternanalysis.substack.com/p/voting-anomalies-2020

"Hey, can we count the mail in votes as they come in? There's going to be a lot more this year."

GOP: No, count them after polls close! Also mail in votes are fraud, don't do it! :mad:

Also GOP: Hey how come so many more votes got added after polls closed?!?! And they are mostly for Dems?!?! FRAUD!!! :mad:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

Video game companies give streamers copies of their games to play on stream because it's a huge amount of free advertising for them.

They don't just give them codes, some fly streamers out to special events and/or promote them alongside the game in marketing. Games companies love streamers.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 2, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Has Biden or Schumer brought up the filibuster yet? Because if its still in place in 2021 just lol

They can't change it unless the win both the Georgia seats, and even then everyone needs to be on board with it. Manchin has already said he isn't, although that could be posturing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Uh yeah we also put Japan under a crippling oil embargo and the attack on Pearl was simply to make it harder for the US to militarily oppose Japan annexing a bunch of oil-producing areas in SE Asia.

Are you aware that the oil embargo was to try to stop Japan's ongoing invasion and committing masses of war crimes in China? But Japan wanted to keep those war crimes going so badly they instead decided to attack the USA and grab their own war-crime-enabling oil. Japanese war crimes in China might be slightly less than what Nazi Germany managed in Europe, but if so it's not by much. It's gross to portray Japan as the poor, innocent victim here.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Everyone in here talking about how Biden will close the camps sounds like me thinking Obama would close GITMO. Turns out Obama just didn't want to

Didn't he sign an EO but it got vetoed or voted away or something?

E: yeah,

quote:

Back in 2009, on his third day in office, President Obama ordered the detention facilities at Guantanamo to be closed "as soon as practicable, and no later than one year from the date of this order."

The executive order also called for a review of the 240 detainees then held in Guantanamo.

"We concluded that 126 detainees would be approved for transfer. And that means transfer to another country, with security measures," says Matt Olsen, the former head of Obama's Guantanamo Review Task Force, which compiled and evaluated all the available information on the detainees. The files had never been brought together in one place.

But the yearlong review also revealed how complicated the job of closing Guantanamo would be. It still wasn't clear where to put those who could not be released — those who would be tried as war criminals, those considered too dangerous to release but too difficult to prosecute, as well as individuals in more ambiguous categories.

In 2011, Congress began placing restrictions on Guantanamo transfers in its yearly defense authorization bill, effectively stopping the president from transferring the detainees to a U.S. facility.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 12, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Hachi Machi. The reasons why you're incorrect has been covered by other posters, so I'll just say an examination on why your first instinct in the face of crimes against humanity is a defence based on whataboutism might be in order

Less torture is actually better than more torture, although the ideal amount of torture would be none.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Just a little torture, as a treat.

"Eh, if we can't end all torture, why even try? Torture reduction benefits no one."

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Your post was so outlandish I thought you were being ironic. Okay, let's get into it. What's your point? Who are you talking about? Genuinely confused.

I am talking to you, which was why I quoted your post. You seem to be arguing that there was no benefit to greatly reducing the number of people being tortured in gitmo because the number wasn't reduced to 0. Vastly reducing the number of people kept there was a good thing, even if the ideal thing would be releasing everyone.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I will be more than happy to provide! (All answers are from verified Trump Supporters)
Note: Most of the more insane/chuddy responses have been downvoted to hell.

Q: How do you feel about Chairman of the Texas GOP Allen West floating the idea of Texas seceding from the Union in response to the Texas lawsuit failing?
A: Unfortunately, Texas is very dependant on federal defense resources due to its huge hostile southern border. Texas has some decent militia but they are not enough at present to stop an incursion from the south. They would need a few years to recruit, train, and secure the border on their own or else it's pointless since they'll be overrun by rapists and murderers in no time.

I'm fascinated by the idea that Texas has a hostile border. I guess the idea is that Mexico (or the cartels?) is just gasping to re-conquer Texas but is only held back by federal might.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Has anything happened with the Defence spending bill that Trump keeps saying he'll veto despite it having a veto-proof majority?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Ok, thanks.

Speaking of things he's not doing, it seems he is also not ensuring the Covid vaccine gets delivered:
https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-12/COVID%2019%20Vaccine%20Production%20Distribution%20Statement%20121720.pdf

quote:

“Pfizer is not having any production issues with our COVID-19 vaccine, and no shipments
containing the vaccine are on hold or delayed. This week, we successfully shipped all 2.9 million
doses that we were asked to ship by the U.S. Government to the locations specified by them. We
have millions more doses sitting in our warehouse but, as of now, we have not received any
shipment instructions for additional doses.

We have continuously shared with Operation Warp Speed (OWS) and the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services through weekly meetings every aspect of our production and
distribution capabilities. They have visited our facilities, walked the production lines and been
updated on our production planning as information has become available.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lemming posted:

I don't want to work at my job, and yet here I am, because I also don't want to starve to death

She's not a homeless person getting her first break, she's a sitting congresswoman who's been there since 2008. I don't think she gets fired from congress if she says no. Presumably she didn't accept the offer over food insecurity, she either wants the job on its own merits or sees it as a step up in political power that might lead to even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Maybe you made your point shittily then? A posted with a real point might try clarifying when misunderstood though, it's something to consider in the future.