Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Glumwheels posted:

Trump might not be able to produce antibodies, Javanka hasn’t gotten it yet, there were 200 other fascist scum in the WH on election night....:getin:

If Trump dies after catching COVID twice, after failing re-election, just :lol: at the most 2020 ending ever

Can we all have a good laugh at Mark Meadows, who gave up his cushy House seat for this? :hmbol:

Edit: clarified

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

TulliusCicero posted:

If Trump dies after catching COVID twice, after reelection, just :lol: at the most 2020 ending ever

Can we all have a good laugh at Mark Meadows, who gave up his cushy House seat for this? :hmbol:

This scenario is absolutely not happening for the highlighted reason.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I dont really want to do the "loving libs" thing, but man. There are a lot of people who are really, really, REALLY angry at AOC calling out the Lincoln Project for basically being a republican laundry service.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Watch this incredibly quaint concession speech by the last one-term president.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMLmaZ8hUwM

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

I dont really want to do the "loving libs" thing, but man. There are a lot of people who are really, really, REALLY angry at AOC calling out the Lincoln Project for basically being a republican laundry service.

But think of all the material and support they gave to the Democratic Party! Like... grifting libs and dumb people. Or... stealing people's content. Or...pushing NeverTrump Republicans to vote downballot, and...energizing more Republicans to vote Trump! Or...

:thunk:

...they made a few videos that made Trump kinda mad?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

But think of all the material and support they gave to the Democratic Party! Like... grifting libs and dumb people. Or... stealing people's content. Or...pushing NeverTrump Republicans to vote downballot, and...energizing more Republicans to vote Trump! Or...

It's almost like the whole thing was a grift by Republicans slightly too embarrassed to do their grifting ON the Trump Train so they just made their own.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

Does *67 still work?

*67 doesn't work on toll free numbers.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

TulliusCicero posted:

It really is the "own the chuds" version of left wing political agitation. When Republicans do it vs. the left, it's to demoralise the Democrats and energise their base. It doesn't work when you play it back against them and attack their God King. Yeah the ads might have been the requisite amount of harsh that really is needed from the Dems, but it was crap as a method of outreach. Republicans were willing to risk death from Covid by going to his rally's. Did the Lincoln Project really think they could shame these people into voting for Biden?

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Can I temporarily move to Georgia to vote there in the runoffs?

You absolutely can, and you should. There's no residency term requirement.

Wishing you the best of luck from Australia.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CuddleCryptid posted:

Even after everything, there are people in America who are desperate to "heal the divide." That's why Biden keeps talking about it. My own Mother still hopes for it, she wants so much to believe in "opponents not enemies," and "spirited debate of deeply held beliefs," and all the other stuff.

I keep telling her there are three kinds of Republican voters: People who believe insane Lizardmen conspiracies, people who think Democrats are pure evil for holding the beliefs that they do and must be destroyed, and people who get so angry when they get told how the world really is that they would rather burn it down than accept reality. She says she knows that, but she doesn't really. She can't. Too many of her friends and relatives are Republicans, her mother loved Reagan and her grandfather loved Eisenhower and she just can't accept that so much of her world is tainted, most likely irrevocably because they would rather die than even entertain the notion they might be wrong.

A lot of people, at least in America and presumably around the world, can't go on without the hope that sad, delusional hope that the worst among us can be saved. That's the curse of empathy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trump is a rare occurrence of a man too confident and shameless to back down, and had this entire mythology built up around him from the 80s and 90s. While it’s definitely possible to happen again, this idea that a Supertrump is some inevitable part of 2024 is weird to me.

It seems more likely that Biden again tries to engage Republicans as human beings instead of screeching ghouls that will stop at nothing to eat your flesh, and therefore little gets accomplished and the midterms are a bloodbath and some milquetoast republican gets the nom and we see how centrism fares when the opposition is a somewhat kinder fascism.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

Trump is a rare occurrence of a man too confident and shameless to back down, and had this entire mythology built up around him from the 80s and 90s. While it’s definitely possible to happen again, this idea that a Supertrump is some inevitable part of 2024 is weird to me.

It seems more likely that Biden again tries to engage Republicans as human beings instead of screeching ghouls that will stop at nothing to eat your flesh, and therefore little gets accomplished and the midterms are a bloodbath and some milquetoast republican gets the nom and we see how centrism fares when the opposition is a somewhat kinder fascism.

I think there's a nonzero chance Romney is the nom in 2024.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sanguinia posted:

Even after everything, there are people in America who are desperate to "heal the divide." That's why Biden keeps talking about it. My own Mother still hopes for it, she wants so much to believe in "opponents not enemies," and "spirited debate of deeply held beliefs," and all the other stuff.

I keep telling her there are three kinds of Republican voters: People who believe insane Lizardmen conspiracies, people who think Democrats are pure evil for holding the beliefs that they do and must be destroyed, and people who get so angry when they get told how the world really is that they would rather burn it down than accept reality. She says she knows that, but she doesn't really. She can't. Too many of her friends and relatives are Republicans, her mother loved Reagan and her grandfather loved Eisenhower and she just can't accept that so much of her world is tainted, most likely irrevocably because they would rather die than even entertain the notion they might be wrong.

A lot of people, at least in America and presumably around the world, can't go on without the hope that sad, delusional hope that the worst among us can be saved. That's the curse of empathy.

Well a lot of that comes from the wacko "American Exceptionalism" that is shoved down pretty much everyone's throats from birth in this country. If you are not white and/or not from wealth/power you find out real quickly that America is not the greatest country pretty quickly. There are a lot of people that buy into the bullshit either to protect their own privilege and/or because they don't have the context or ability to see otherwise. Maybe at one small point in time we were the greatest country but we haven't been in a long time. Frankly it is about time we start acknowledging that fact, accepting it and then maybe start looking at ways to change that.

Sadly we have far too many simple minded motherfuckers in this country for to happen any time soon. Hell we will all be dead due to climate change long before that could even possibly happen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Has any other big media figure called him a fascist yet other than Colbert?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Has any other big media figure called him a fascist yet other than Colbert?

Pretty sure Seth Meyers has.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Trump might not be able to produce antibodies, Javanka hasn’t gotten it yet, there were 200 other fascist scum in the WH on election night....:getin:

to quote the great joe biden: inshallah

also, we got some confirmations he infected more people:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1324936217465597952

TulliusCicero posted:

...As opposed to a millionaire real estate mogul's son? Against a family with an actual soldier in their family

loving hell the GOP really have no hypocrisy filter like we do

lots of people laugh at trump and conservatives who play YMCA and RATM cause they think they're missing the point of their songs. while this is true for the average chud, i think it's deliberate for the higher ups. i think they're intentionally playing those songs as a power move. they know damned well what those bands symbolize and they don't give a poo poo because they have absolutely no shame and the libs can't do anything about it. it's their attempt to appropriate those lefty songs as their own cause it's about domination to those fucks.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Djarum posted:

Well a lot of that comes from the wacko "American Exceptionalism" that is shoved down pretty much everyone's throats from birth in this country. If you are not white and/or not from wealth/power you find out real quickly that America is not the greatest country pretty quickly. There are a lot of people that buy into the bullshit either to protect their own privilege and/or because they don't have the context or ability to see otherwise. Maybe at one small point in time we were the greatest country but we haven't been in a long time. Frankly it is about time we start acknowledging that fact, accepting it and then maybe start looking at ways to change that.

Sadly we have far too many simple minded motherfuckers in this country for to happen any time soon. Hell we will all be dead due to climate change long before that could even possibly happen.

It might sound kinda stupid, but this is just what privilege is. People don't think of the opposition as their enemies because they have never been seriously hurt or endangered by them in any way. It's easy to see LGBT issues as being a matter of perspective when you aren't one, because you've internalized that as not "having made that choice." It's a blind spot so easy to overlook that most people in the country who aren't a minority or in relatively frequent close relationships with minorities will simply never even notice they're missing anything.

Commonsense ideas are almost always like this. The very idea of common sense is based in privilege, because it's predicated on the notion that if everyone were simply thinking calmly and rationally, they would obviously think just like me. It's so deep in our culture that even talking about it gets people riled up. "HOW DARE YOU CALL ME RACIST!?" being something I'm sure basically anyone who's ever tried to explain even the slightest bit of systemic racism has encountered. But every issue involving privilege is like that. To challenge one's unthinking assumptions is to challenge their very concept of reality, and it's a lot of work.

People who think this way aren't really simple-minded, they just have no reason to question any of the things they take for granted because their worldview has never been challenged by reality going, "no, that thing you think is just wrong." I know for most LGBT people that moment happens when you realize all the stories you were told about growing up simply don't apply to you, and I've heard that it's similar for other people with disabilities, so without something like that happening, it's not that surprising that the belief in american meritocracy just crystalizes to the point where it needs to be physically broken (which hurts) if it's ever gonna change.

E: Just so people don't think I'm leaving it out -- this is one of the reasons busing was so successful at curtailing racism in places it happened, the black experience of america is fundamentally different from the white one, and that interaction was impossible to ignore. Now that we've re-segregated in all but law, being black is just fundamentally alien to the average white person. Like, telling someone who's never seen it that doctors will ignore your symptoms entirely in favor of assuming you're trying to score drugs, or that police will physically assault you for literally no reason just seems impossible to a sheltered white person because that experience just flat out doesn't happen.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 7, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile, Trump has apparently focused his ire on management of nuclear power and weapons.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1324964977430683648?s=20

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ershalim posted:

It might sound kinda stupid, but this is just what privilege is. People don't think of the opposition as their enemies because they have never been seriously hurt or endangered by them in any way. It's easy to see LGBT issues as being a matter of perspective when you aren't one, because you've internalized that as not "having made that choice." It's a blind spot so easy to overlook that most people in the country who aren't a minority or in relatively frequent close relationships with minorities will simply never even notice they're missing anything.

Commonsense ideas are almost always like this. The very idea of common sense is based in privilege, because it's predicated on the notion that if everyone were simply thinking calmly and rationally, they would obviously think just like me. It's so deep in our culture that even talking about it gets people riled up. "HOW DARE YOU CALL ME RACIST!?" being something I'm sure basically anyone who's ever tried to explain even the slightest bit of systemic racism has encountered. But every issue involving privilege is like that. To challenge one's unthinking assumptions is to challenge their very concept of reality, and it's a lot of work.

People who think this way aren't really simple-minded, they just have no reason to question any of the things they take for granted because their worldview has never been challenged by reality going, "no, that thing you think is just wrong." I know for most LGBT people that moment happens when you realize all the stories you were told about growing up simply don't apply to you, and I've heard that it's similar for other people with disabilities, so without something like that happening, it's not that surprising that the belief in american meritocracy just crystalizes to the point where it needs to be physically broken (which hurts) if it's ever gonna change.

While I agree with you on a lot of points here I will say at least with systemic racism/sexism and privilege even if you are exposed to these realities often times they just won’t accept it. I assume some of it is learned behavior, which is a hell of a problem. The other part I feel is fear. If you look at how much hate is pushed towards the LGBTQ community especially gay men and trans folks it comes from a fear that either they might be gay/trans or that they know they are gay/trans and live in denial due to their fear. You don’t see this as much with women, even in the conservative side, which I am sure someone that is female can give a perspective on why that is. I have theories but I am not a woman so I really can’t have an arcuate view on it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

He's gonna run the loving whitehouse like the Apprentice and have a revolving staff of people coming in for the next 3 months isnt he

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dumb people are dumb because they are not receptive to new ideas. They prefer known over unknown and seek comfort in it. As a result they tend to travel less, not out higher education, and reject or avoid unfamiliar challenges. It’s all a feedback loop leading to them being relatively naive which when combined with comfort seeking tribalism results in Q or Trumpers. Whatever crazy poo poo they believe is not really relevant because they don’t rationally evaluate it; it’s simply the dogma of their tribe and what is important is the endorphins from belonging to a tribe.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 7, 2020

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Djarum posted:

While I agree with you on a lot of points here I will say at least with systemic racism/sexism and privilege even if you are exposed to these realities often times they just won’t accept it. I assume some of it is learned behavior, which is a hell of a problem. The other part I feel is fear. If you look at how much hate is pushed towards the LGBTQ community especially gay men and trans folks it comes from a fear that either they might be gay/trans or that they know they are gay/trans and live in denial due to their fear. You don’t see this as much with women, even in the conservative side, which I am sure someone that is female can give a perspective on why that is. I have theories but I am not a woman so I really can’t have an arcuate view on it.

There is resistance, but it can only exist in darkness, so to speak. A lot of norms and mores we have culturally are more or less designed to keep the facade in place. We don't talk to our coworkers about payscale, or vacation time, or actual responsibilities -- it's rude to talk to friends about the same because "it may cause a fight" or whatever. These sorts of things are reified artifacts of a culture designed to keep the hierarchy in tact.

It is true that people will often react in fear for someone in their life who might be gay, but I think that's just because they've rationalized the bad outcomes and homophobia as being inseparable from the experience of being queer, and so are being aggressive in an unconscious attempt to convince their loved ones not to make that choice for themselves. At least, in the charitable reading of people doing that. Being closeted is way more complicated and is often a rational response to how one's life situation is.

As to your point about women? Uh... no. Queer women face extreme prejudice from straight/cis women. And men. And everyone. The intersectionality there is just that their pain is silenced because culturally we don't care about women as much, but it's every bit as dehumanizing and forceful, even if the form is often different.

cowofwar posted:

Dumb people are dumb because they are not receptive to new ideas. They prefer known over unknown and seek comfort in it. As a result they tend to travel less, not out higher education, and reject or avoid unfamiliar challenges. It’s all a feedback loop leading to them being relatively naive which when combined with comfort seeking tribalism results in Q or Trumpers. Whatever crazy poo poo they believe is not really relevant because they don’t rationally evaluate it; it’s simply the dogma of their tribe and what is important is the endorphins from belonging to a tribe.

Sorry for being obnoxious, but try not to refer to this as a tribal thing. I used to do that a lot because it's convenient shorthand, but a friend pointed out that it's kinda racist to anyone who is part of a real-life tribe. Groupthink and resistance to novel information isn't inherent to societal organization, after all. Psychologically speaking, reacting fearfully to new things isn't a pathology, it's just loss aversion. A lot of people don't have means or opportunities to travel, and so they don't develop a sense of how to acclimate to new scenarios.

As an anecdote, I grew up in a very white place that had like, 80% attendance to 1 particular church. New people and new ideas simply didn't ever happen. When I got to college many, many years later, I met a Muslim girl named Arfa, and my brain just straight-up locked down. I was afraid to say her name because it didn't sound like a name I had ever heard before, and I was panicking that I would offend her by saying it badly. "She's going to think I think she has a dog name" or something like that was the only thing I was able to think. A few other people joined in the conversation and said "it's easy, just say it" and I just flat out couldn't. It took a few days before I was able to get the gently caress over myself and then I apologized to her for being ... ya know, loving awful. But I think that experience was really informative to me -- a lot of people have never, even once in their life, encountered someone or something they've only ever heard stories about, and until it happens to them, they just don't have the pathways available in their brains to be able to do anything with the information they're getting.

Or I just have some kind of aspergers or something. That's also possible. But I don't think that experience is unique to me, and having been gay all my life, I've noticed that some very sheltered people take a similar adjustment period before they're able to interact with me, too.

But this analysis is considerably less strenuous than my first paragraph. :v:

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 7, 2020

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

funkymonks posted:

Didn’t some people suggest the possibility that Trump wouldn’t have immunity to COVID since he received an antibody treatment instead of his body producing his own? I sure hope we get to test that out here over the next couple weeks.

Yup! This is a real possibility. The idea was floated on This Week in Virology by the infectious disease clinician Dr Daniel Griffin, based on some inside baseball he got from Dr Fauci. Apparently it's just like you said: Trump got his immunized by the antibody shots before he started producing them on his own, so it's quite possible that he has no long-term immunity.

I think the half life on the antibody treatment was something like 20-40 days. So he might still be resistant. But, he also might not be! Something to hope for.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, it’s like the guy from the flat earthers was saying. Flat earth is like the last of the conspiracy theories you to to; it just sounds so dumb. Even the chem trails people are like: ‘dude, flat earth? That’s silly’. However, he found his community and that’s what he believes, and believe extremely strongly too. Literally no argument will ever convince them, because it’s the truth of their community.

It really is shame (read: extremely terrifying) that almost half of the voting population has decided to believe in a the cult of outright fascism, open racism and bigotry, climate change denial, ultra-capitalism, war on the poor, COVID-denial. Not to mention being pro police violence, even against peaceful protest, as long as it’s ‘those people’. They are so loving unbelievably dumb, that they think that Joe Biden, of all people, is going to turn the country Marxist. Imagine how much of a dumbshit you have to be to believe that. It is mind boggling. It literally boggles my mind to think about it.

We can probably blame boomer-brain and lead poisoning on some of it, but hardly all.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Guze posted:

dancing to "Bulls on Parade" wearing a police state flag is uhhhhhh

Well, the actual state of America is very dumb so...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Haystack posted:

Yup! This is a real possibility. The idea was floated on This Week in Virology by the infectious disease clinician Dr Daniel Griffin, based on some inside baseball he got from Dr Fauci. Apparently it's just like you said: Trump got his immunized by the antibody shots before he started producing them on his own, so it's quite possible that he has no long-term immunity.

I think the half life on the antibody treatment was something like 20-40 days. So he might still be resistant. But, he also might not be! Something to hope for.

Can't he just get another antibody shot in that case?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gort posted:

Can't he just get another antibody shot in that case?

The kitchen sink cocktail of treatments they threw at him nearly loving killed him the first time around. I can't imagine what that plus the lingering damage that COVID leaves you with in general would do to him this time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Revelation 2-13 posted:

We can probably blame boomer-brain and lead poisoning on some of it, but hardly all.

Fox news. Weaponised psychic poison.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

nine-gear crow posted:

The kitchen sink cocktail of treatments they threw at him nearly loving killed him the first time around. I can't imagine what that plus the lingering damage that COVID leaves you with in general would do to him this time.

I really have to wonder exactly when the string is going to give out and he just collapses in a heap. He's abused his body for so long and so hard, it's got to be sometime soon.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Sorry, but when I look at the geographical results, for example in Michigan, it seems quite safe to say that the state flipped to Biden because many republican voters backed him (say, in Grand Rapids or Ottawa counties).
I suppose what we need to wait for is the % of votes that went republican in congress/senate but for Biden in the presidential election. If this difference is large, and I expect it to be given how badly some senate races went, wouldn't that prove the contribution of the never-trumpers?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
It's a good thing that Qanon and friends are this loving stupid. Christ.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/07/us/pennsylvania-convention-center-arrests/index.html

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Data Graham posted:

This is the timeline where DONALD TRUMP mocked Biden for being rich.

lol trump is broke

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PhazonLink posted:

surely the line of succession requires consent and Pelosi could just go "nah im' cool" and let the next one take it?

I don't know - would you pass the opportunity of entering the annals of history as the first female POTUS??

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The funniest result now is that this gets tied up in the courts and then in December Biden gets COVID and unlike Trump actually dies from it, and (correct me if I'm wrong) there's nothing clear in the constitution about the VP-elect automatically becoming the president-elect

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

The funniest result now is that this gets tied up in the courts and then in December Biden gets COVID and unlike Trump actually dies from it, and (correct me if I'm wrong) there's nothing clear in the constitution about the VP-elect automatically becoming the president-elect

Pretty sure you're wrong. Both parties go to the VP is the P-elect dies.

Like, it's not in the constitution, I don't think but I don't see how you'd have legal grounds to challenge it. Stuff like that is why VPs exist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skippy McPants posted:

Pretty sure you're wrong. Once you're the P-elect normal rules of presidential succession apply.

quote:

Scholars have noted that the national committees of the Democratic and Republican parties have adopted rules for selecting replacement candidates in the event of a nominee's death, either before or after the general election. If the apparent winner of the general election dies before the Electoral College votes in December the electors would likely be expected to endorse whatever new nominee their national party selects as a replacement. The rules of both major parties stipulate that if the apparent winner dies under such circumstances and his or her running mate is still able to assume the presidency, then the running mate is to become the President-elect with the electors being directed to vote for the former Vice Presidential nominee for President. The party's National Committee, in consultation with the new President-elect, would then select a replacement to receive the erstwhile Vice Presidential nominee's electoral votes for Vice President.

If the apparent winner dies between the College's December vote and its counting in Congress in January, the Twelfth Amendment stipulates that all electoral ballots cast shall be counted, presumably even those for a dead candidate. The U.S. House committee reporting on the proposed Twentieth Amendment said the "Congress would have 'no discretion' [and] 'would declare that the deceased candidate had received a majority of the votes.'"[7]

The Constitution did not originally include the term president-elect. The term was introduced through the Twentieth Amendment, ratified in 1933, which contained a provision addressing the unavailability of the president-elect to take the oath of office on Inauguration Day.[2] Section 3 provides that if there is no president-elect on January 20, or the president-elect "fails to qualify", the vice president-elect would become acting president on January 20 until there is a qualified president. The section also provides that if the president-elect dies before noon on January 20, the vice president-elect becomes president. In cases where there is no president-elect or vice president-elect, the amendment also gives the Congress the authority to declare an acting president until such time as there is a president or vice president. At this point the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 would apply, with the office of the Presidency going to the speaker of the House of Representatives, followed by the president pro tempore of the Senate and various Cabinet officers.[8]

Horace Greeley is the only presidential candidate to win pledged electors in the general election, and then die before the presidential inauguration; he secured 66 votes in 1872 and succumbed before the Electoral College met. Greeley had already clearly lost the election and most of his votes inconsequentially scattered to other candidates.

The closest instance of there being no qualified person to take the presidential oath of office on Inauguration Day happened in 1877, when the disputed election between Rutherford B. Hayes and Samuel J. Tilden was decided and certified in Hayes' favor just three days before the inauguration (then March 4). It might have been a possibility on several other occasions as well. In January 1853, President-elect Franklin Pierce survived a train accident that killed his 11-year-old son. Four years later, President-elect James Buchanan battled a serious illness contracted at the National Hotel in Washington, D.C., as he planned his inauguration. Additionally, on February 15, 1933, just 23 days after the Twentieth Amendment went into effect, President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt survived an assassination attempt in Miami, Florida. The amendment's provision moving inauguration day from March 4, to January 20, would not take effect until 1937, but its three provisions about a president-elect went into effect immediately.[2] If the assassination attempt on Roosevelt had been successful then, pursuant to Section 3 of the amendment, Vice President-elect John Nance Garner would have been sworn in as president on Inauguration Day.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hello? This seems irregular to me:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

TulliusCicero posted:

https://twitter.com/Angelux1111/sta...mber%3D6298pti1

While this isn't the worst pyrricafacation factor of this electoral 'victory', the fact that the LP will be back with a war chest the dems gave them is certainly infuriating.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/Angelux1111/sta...mber%3D6298pti1

While this isn't the worst pyrricafacation factor of this electoral 'victory', the fact that the LP will be back with a war chest the dems gave them is certainly infuriating.

How much money did the dems give them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m sorry, how stupid do you have to be to consider that their “new” agenda?