Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

Re-upping this for the morning crew.

Wayne Knight looks pretty good for his age.

Looks like he gained back all that weight he lost during 3rd Rock From the Sun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

NBC created this loving monster and they will never stop propping him up.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My folks took me to Dan Fogelberg when I was like 9? First real concert was Bush with Veruca Salt opening in like 96.

Last concert I went to was Rammstein in 2011ish. Those guys put on a SHOW.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Djarum posted:

You eliminate loans for education period. State and City colleges become Federally funded, free to all. You give funding to accredited Trade Schools and Apprenticeships. But I agree college is a stupid requirement for a lot of jobs. I don't know how to hold private business's feet to the fire to make them invest in their employees again though. Tax breaks and grants aren't going to work there, since if they did you would have seen the trend reverse. You need a good carrot and a stick which I don't think anyone has.

You aren't going to get businesses to invest in their employees, because as soon as they train them they'll market those skills elsewhere because the only way to get a meaningful raise anymore is to job hop.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Which is why, if it happens, it should be handled quickly, quietly, and as a somber duty, not a celebration. If we are going to take this action, it needs to be abundantly clear that it's not a partisan effort, it's not a hit at a previous administration, it's the natural legal process to deal with an individual that's broken the law. It will require coordination, trust, and communication between both the Democrats and the Republican party, so it almost certainly won't happen.

I think we're on to something here. Lets workshop this a bit.
Maybe the presidential inauguration should actually be an execution. Gotta make tough, wholly immoral choices if you want the big chair - it's the only way to maintain the moral purity of the nation, you see? And you can go after the big chair so long as you recognize your day is up when the next guy steps in.

What kind of person would this job attract then?

Hmm... self-martyring, victim complex, oh gently caress it we'd just get more Trumps but worse.

Nevermind!

Jows
May 8, 2002

Can Mitch hold up cabinet post confirmations indefinitely? Would Biden just have to have a revolving door of acting Secretaries in that case?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

How many people does this include? Would it reach the critical mass needed in any specific industry?

EDIT: 55 unions that make up the AFL-­CIO include more than 12.5 million working people.

Yeah that would do it

This is the local chapter in Vermont.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Rea posted:

Parler apparently requires not only your DL ID number to be verified, but your SSN to use their equivalent of DMs. Holy poo poo this is a nasty breach :hmbol:

How would they verify your SSN? Surely some random internet schmo company doesn't have access to that?

(sorry if dumb question, not a computer toucher at all)

Jows
May 8, 2002

Majorian posted:

:laffo: Cheri Bustos, who was responsible for the Dems' House election efforts this year, was one of them. As were Cuellar, Lipinski, Lamb - the usual suspects.

Ugh - Bustos' district is where I grew up, and Lipinski's district is where I live now. Illinois Dems need to do better.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I'm really surprised Xi Jinping hasn't called him up and told him to knock it off again like he did back in April or May.

Edit: stitches tax

Jows fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 6, 2020

Jows
May 8, 2002

Fake tweet. Babylon Bee has never been that funny.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Kalit posted:

I mean.... fiction also got ports so lovely it was pulled from PSN..... so I don't know who the true loser is. Obviously, not PC gamers :smug: (I don't have any game console/PC capable of playing Cyberpunk 2077, so I have no skin in the game)

How does that pressure McConnell when Sanders already voted nay on the Defense bill/they easily have enough yays to override the veto without him (https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=2&vote=00264)? This is an honest question, I feel like I'm missing something...

Isn't there a senate rule about any one senator can hold something up indefinitely for any reason? Like separate from the filibuster? Or am I just spreading more FUD?

Jows
May 8, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's also something called a Senate hold, but it amounts to the same thing.

I think that's what I was thinking of.

gently caress this nazi page #

Jows
May 8, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Would love to hear your reasoning behind them just bring a tax on the poor.

If you didn't kill anyone and have the money to afford a competent lawyer it basically amounts to a fine, and then the old adage of "laws where the penalty is only money only really apply to the poor" kicks in.

Jows
May 8, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is "shoah" some chud slang I'm not aware of or are they using it like I'm thinking and comparing being banned from Twitter to the loving Holocaust?!

What does your heart tell you?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah it's alarming how completely effective interrogation is. They started rolling it out to police departments in some trial studies a few years back (where it has, surprise, been wildly successful) specifically to greatly broaden the pool of data on it. And yeah there are a lot of concerning implications on a ton of different levels with the ways it effectively side-steps peoples' self protective instincts. I couldn't begin to guess the effects it has on people long term, though I'd be surprised if it is worse for either the practitioners or the participants than the range of older methods.

ironically with the q conspiracies, there's so much built-in 'friendly g-men' stuff built into it that it must give interrogators a ton to work with when they're already inclined to initiate contact on a 'hey we support what you did and understand it was a hard choice and we actually really need you to help us understand a few key details that are eluding us'

E: if anyone wants to read a bit more about this

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2016/05/24/nothing-but-the-truth

Isn't that along the same lines as when Mattis was asked if he would agree to Trump's demand to torture suspects and he replied along the lines of "Torture?! Hell no, I'd get way more actionable intelligence with a 6-pack and a pack of smokes."

Jows
May 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

Unrelated sorta but that ceiling looks pretty rad. Apparently it is full of artificial stalactites.

Also apparently it was paid for in part with aid money which caused some controversy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-art-ceiling/new-u-n-art-work-raises-controversy-idUSTRE4AH95M20081119

To me it just looks like the world's worst popcorn ceiling.

Jows
May 8, 2002

generic one posted:

Indeed, it does.

Will they use 2020 filings? I'd like to get my lower income and 2nd kid on the books so I don't have to wait until next March/April to get the full amount owed.

Jows
May 8, 2002

generic one posted:

If you file for 2020, that’s what they’d use. Otherwise they’ll use 2019.

Ok cool, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Jows
May 8, 2002

Leon Sumbitches posted:

He's a totally overrated artist, but seems to have a sense of humor about himself.

Screw him. He got his name from his buddy when they were going to a dog fight. gently caress that guy.

Jows
May 8, 2002

evilweasel posted:

by the way, manchin already telegraphed what his demand for the $4t biden stimulus bill will be. manchin, a foul austerity hawk, will demand it be at least partially paid for.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1368934304437374982

So it's a complete and total non-starter. Does Grover Norquist still own tax policy on the right?

Jows
May 8, 2002

evilweasel posted:

you can do all that with 50 votes in reconciliation in september, if joe manchin is on board because you asked republicans politely if they'd prefer the tax increase be weighted more towards corporations or more towards capital gains by the wealthy and they told you to pound sand and he goes welp biden tried

ahh, infrastructure is slated for the next reconciliation bill? I thought they were going to try and do it via the normal method. Although if they're going to tie some tax increases into it I guess they cannot.

Jows
May 8, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

There are definitely times where a lot of job experience is seen as a bad thing, especially when stuff has changed a lot recently.

I got disappointed when I found out our new IT guy at work was older than I am. He replaced a guy that was WAY older than I am, but I was hoping for someone younger. We had a college kid intern with us for a summer a couple years ago and by the end of the summer not only did our cell phones work inside the building (they absolutely did not before) but we got an entirely new wifi system that worked, too.

Jows
May 8, 2002

JFC..... At this rate Jr is gonna announce in like July '24 for 2028. There's to much money to be gotten from campaigning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can buy steak and lobster with food stamps/SNAP right now. It's never been banned or restricted.

The "prepared foods fit for immediate consumption" rule was put into place to prevent people from buying from restaurants or convenience stores with a restaurant component (grills, stoves, etc.) under the idea that that those foods would include labor and real estate costs into the price. It was intended to be a double whammy of saving money and "helping" people by preventing them from paying higher costs for food and running out of benefits before the month ends.

Some places have experimented with allowing SNAP to be used at restaurants and hot food places, but there isn't a ton of data about what the actual impact is.

That's a garbage reason because labor and real estate costs are already included in everything we buy.