Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm pretty sure this is the PSU, but I wanted to know if I picked an underpowered PSU or just likely got a dud. Or maybe its something else.

Problem description: I built a new computer for a friend recently. It has been running fine, but today it shut off suddenly and will not turn back on. He said he unplugged it then plugged it back in. Then he tried turning it on again and the lights and fan came on for a few seconds then it shut off. He says he was backing up his phone and installing a new graphics driver when this happened.

Attempted fixes: None yet. Headed down soon to troubleshoot.

Recent changes: New build

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs:. I based it closely off the basic build guide from PCpartpicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $723.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-05 23:14 EDT-0400

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Max power draw on that system should be ~250 unless there's some overclocking going on. I'd be on the lookout for any diagnostic lights and bring a PC speaker for beep codes if you can, but this sounds like something that might come back to life after a CMOS reset.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

DOOMocrat posted:

Max power draw on that system should be ~250 unless there's some overclocking going on. I'd be on the lookout for any diagnostic lights and bring a PC speaker for beep codes if you can, but this sounds like something that might come back to life after a CMOS reset.

Hm. The only overclocking type thing is the RAM XMP profile. Could that be the problem? I can't imagine that the RAM would pull that much power though.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

A 3600x will pull way more than 65 watts if it has any reason to be overclocked; it's something to try.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. I have to drive 2.5 hours to work on this computer so can I just tell the guy to remove the CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So quick update. I got some more information from my friend.

He said: "I went down the control panel updating drivers and when I got to the graphics card is when it shut down."

Now I have no idea what happened, but he had the latest drivers before I handed the computer over. Any ideas?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Travic posted:

He said: "I went down the control panel updating drivers and when I got to the graphics card is when it shut down."

Now I have no idea what happened, but he had the latest drivers before I handed the computer over. Any ideas?

He could also try disconnecting the GPU and plugging into the onboard video temporarily.

Travic posted:

Ok. I have to drive 2.5 hours to work on this computer so can I just tell the guy to remove the CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes?

Yes, if trying onboard video doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just for some closure it was the power supply. Had to buy a new one and it worked great.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)