Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao trading domi and a pick for a guy that's worse and more expensive and older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Why not 7 years???

He was healthy this season

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Wayne Simmonds is probably not good but is he going to be a worse player than Kyle Clifford, who was making more money to fill the same role?

1 year and small potatoes money. He's a cool guy and maybe he will punch a jerk in the face?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao i can't believe your dumb team gave that much money and term to someone so bad and stupid and ugly

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

This is the first time since the lockout the leafs have a roster that doesn't have any giant gaping holes they need to compensate for.

:greencube:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I will take a team with Holl as 2RD over one with Bozak or Matt Stajan as 1C, or Vesa Toskala or Raycroft in net, or Komisarek on the top pairing, or Jeff O'Neill as the top winger, or David Clarkson as the identity of the bottom six, or Colton Orr and Fraser McClaren on the ice at the same time, or Dion Phaneuf as the best defender on the entire team or Jason Blake as the best forward on the entire team.

I'll take it and I can even laugh a bit about how bad it's been.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

If anyone's getting offersheeted, it's got to be Barzal/Pulock. Like the one chance MB has to be in character and also make an unambiguously good move for his team and also for my entertainment.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Spezza put up 7 of 25 on the powerplay. 12 of 27 the year prior on the powerplay. 11 of 26 before that. I already pointed out Simmonds also produces a large percentage of points from the powerplay. Johnsson has 12 of 67 total points from the powerplay making him a larger 5v5 contributor than both. Kap has nearly has as many shorthanded points as powerplay. Kerfoot is exactly where you would expect him considering the change in his deployment and drop in shooting percentage. The Leafs got worse. Good luck betting on nobodies.

what's your obsession with depth scoring? the leafs' top six is stacked. it means they're not paying as much for the rest of their forwards and not expecting as much from them either. the leafs are one of the top teams in scoring goals in the nhl. goals scored by bottom-six guys don't count for double. it does not matter at all. they score lots of goals. they will continue to score lots of goals. their defence is also better than it was last year, and they have legitimately good prospects that are knocking on the door right this minute in Robertson and Sandin.

like sure, maybe they get lovely bounces and injuries next season and you'll have something ready to point to for their failure, but losing a dude they drafted in the seventh round a few years ago for nothing is not going to gently caress with the team's progression.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

fisting by many posted:

Gonna assume the VAN-VGK negotiations went something like this

VGK: We've got all the leverage, you desperately need a defenseman. What are you going to do, do nothing at all in free agency?
Benning: *shrugs, points at roster*
VGK: ...We'll take a 3rd.

I know Benning turns all logic upside down, but in most cases the team that is over the offseason cap allowance and desperately trying to shed salary is not the one with the leverage in a trade.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

kinda want to see thornton play with marner just to see how well they'd setup the guy that gets covered by the entire opposing team.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

looks like a good fit for pittsburgh imo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what do you guys think giordano's favourite craft beer is?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

This is only fifty-odd, but it's also just one game.

God drat do i hate Hughson/Simpson.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Granlund is the one that amazes me. He's been a pretty consistent 60ish point guy for most of his career and is just 28 so relatively young for a UFA. In a pre-COVID world he likely gets 5x$6m from some team an hour into free agency. Hayes and JVR got more than that for lesser bodies of work. I put last year down to the Nashville black hole of offence, and even then he was on pace for 20g and 40pts.

Instead, there's (reportedly) 10 weeks left until the season and he's seemingly garnered no interest. It seems at best he'll get a one year deal for sub $5m with the strong possibility that next year will result in the same thing.

A team could probably get themselves a ton of surplus value by offering him a three year deal for like $4.75m per. I doubt he'd say no and it's a near certainty he'd wildly outperform that contract. At worst he's a decent third line two way forward who can sub in as a scorer with relative ease. Yet no team has any cap space so he sits and waits and the longer this goes on the more likely it is he signs in Russia or settles for a camp invite. It's a weird year.

I know I'm quibbling and it's barely a part of your main point, but JVR's body of work before the current contract is one of the best you could get from a 27-28 year old UFA. Six seasons in a row (admittedly pro-rating the lockout season) of 25+ goals is rare. The Flyers contract is going to be bad because the big money contracts always pay declining players for past performances, but he went into UFA right in that sweet spot of age and production where he'd still be getting paid under this offseason's conditions.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Flames fans, you are gonna like this guy. Really good bottom-6 guy who can slot in to top-6 when injuries come and not suck up the line

For as many times as someone's said a variation on this line about some heart & soul plug, I can't think of many times where it's come to pass.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Simon's career high in points is 28.

I'm in love already:)

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Stop naming your children Byrum Timmins, millennials.

This is Gen-X's doing. Millenials will be naming their children Hermoine Wakandor

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i want 2 watch some hockey

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It was mandated by the ON government.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ohl-bodychecking-provincial-government-1.5754187

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

please put Biden's name on it

a Flyers jersey should lean into the regret

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Man, it would rule pretty hard if there were a really vindictive Arizona/Winnipeg rivalry.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1328352527675510784

I don't know if they were going for North Stars here but it feels like a Seals jersey on an old TV screen.

These look cool. It's too bad they didn't go for the full reverse and do complementary colours though.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Baseball has multiple players that will never play again because of long term covid complications so maybe lets not.

On the other hand, they seem content to keep Tom Wilson in the league.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

step 1: send out the plague squad for 2 weeks while the rest of the team stays home and plays fortnite
step 2: real team comes back after rest of nhl is shut down
step 3: stanley cup

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i don't think about buffalo at all

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

56 games is just enough for a hot goalie to decide a team's fate so there's an outside chance Carey Price drags Montreal anywhere from 1-3 in the lovely Canadian division. Otherwise it's just gonna be Toronto and two out of the three western teams in the playoffs (lmao if you're even thinking about the wildcards).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

It seems like if the Canadian teams have to play in the US, realignment is the least of the problems. Are all the players and personnel for all of the Canadian teams going to agree to live out of a hotel for the first 3-4 months of 2021? And their families? It's probably a minor step up from a bubble, but not by much?

oh yeah, it's going to be sooo hard for the NHL players to have to come home from a hard day of work and have their beds all made and a chocolate mint on their pillow and a little fridge full of refreshing beverages and room service and free HBO :rolleyes:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

A whole season of Canucks games at 4pm :getin:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

And we’ll all feel guilty about it but yet watch it anyway cause holy poo poo it’s actual hockey being played...

This is where I'm at for sure. Just incredibly stoked for this terrible stupid idea to start happening.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I thought it would be kind of fun to have a category for the plague division when the prediction thread starts, but I guess the US is going to just go ahead and give us three right off the bat aren't they?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

I mean I'm trying to get excited about this, but do I really have to watch Calgary play ottawa FOUR TIMES IN A ROW

You think that's hosed up?? I heard an urban legend that someone once watched 82 senators games in a row in a past season.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Well, that's one way to find out Mitch Marner's been traded

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

probably not. i think the whole point of these articles are for fans to get a better idea of what players are like when they are not playing ice hockey because the other part is well covered.

e: unlike the slot in the leaf's zone amirite?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The puck has to hit you to make a bruise.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

haha i just remembered Glenn Healey got shitcanned :coolfish:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i hope he crushes his old team

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I also gained 14 lbs (of muscle) this December

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

11 days to hackey

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

PLD probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Sounds like you should either quit your soulless corporate job or switch allegiances to another team. Might I suggest the Toronto Maple Leafs.