Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Cross-posting from LP Beach since SA changed hands.

"Spyro: Reignited Trilogy" is the 2018 remake of the 3 original Spyro games. (Spyro The Dragon 1998, Spyro: Ripto's Rage 1999 and Spyro: Year of the Dragon 2000) The new games have been made by Toys For Bob (see Crash's remake). The orignals games were by Insomniac Games. I say remake, not remaster, because it's an almost full-on remake of all three games in one package. The gameplay itself is very nearly identical but everything has been redone, most importantly all the visuals.

I'll be playing through the whole trilogy normally, in order. So starting with Spyro 1, which I never did a full playthrough of! Should be interesting. I'll be showing off differences in the originals and these here and there. More so when 2 and 3 come because I've extensively recorded and broken those games. So trying out all the same stuff in Reignited will be a fun thing. I'll be playing Live here in the beginning, pivoted to post-commentary again after the first world.

Let's Play & Break?
If you're not familiar with my usual style of LPs, I tend to, aside from just playing them, also show off breaks & glitches. The original games were full on them, and I showed it well in my LPs of 2 & 3 I think. Unfortunately they changed everything in the remakes, so the old stuff no longer works. There's new stuff, but also with patching, there's less. A bit sad, but what's there I will try to show off. In 2 and 3 especially.

You can find all the old stuff on the kilobops website. Alternatively on LPArchive.org or on my YouTube channel itself.

Anything I missed since the break on SA?
Yes! I finished Spyro 5: http://kilobops.ladderface.net/projects/spyro5/ and did a LP & Break of Metroid Prime! http://kilobops.ladderface.net/projects/metroid-prime/. Other than that some side stuff you can find on YouTube.

Any place to support you?
Yes, again! I have a newly created patreon at https://www.patreon.com/jaffy.

You can join me live on stream sometimes if you want, at http://twitch.tv/jaffyjaf.

Finally, you can join my discord if you wish! https://discord.gg/8hgEeuR

Just A Friend fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

But... Who makes the Beast Makers?
!!!! VOTE FOR THE NEXT LEVEL HERE: https://strawpoll.com/dgbdzjfdf

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh hell yes! I got this on both PC and Switch so I am here 100%

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I go back and watch your old Spyro videos with Pods probably like once every year or two so I was really happy to see you make a triumphant return with Hero's Tail and now this. It was also great to see Pods guest commentate a video, just to know he's still alive and kicking.

I don't think I ever finished Spyro on the PS1, I didn't realise how long this game was. You mentioned in the last episode that you were about half way through the game, I figured there would be maybe one or two levels left and a boss fight.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I know they went for a perfect HD-ification, and mission completed, but did they really have to transfer the awful camera as well? I'm having a hell of a time wrangling with that thing on the Switch.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

I know they went for a perfect HD-ification, and mission completed, but did they really have to transfer the awful camera as well? I'm having a hell of a time wrangling with that thing on the Switch.

The weirdest thing for me was how they just copied the script word for word. It's not so much a problem in 2 and 3 from what little I played of them, but they spent so much time lovingly crafting the dragons in this first game only to for most of them to get a single generic line of dialogue?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Beartaco posted:

The weirdest thing for me was how they just copied the script word for word. It's not so much a problem in 2 and 3 from what little I played of them, but they spent so much time lovingly crafting the dragons in this first game only to for most of them to get a single generic line of dialogue?

"Hello! Goodbye!"

Old man Conan was always my favourite.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I don't think I ever finished Spyro on the PS1, I didn't realise how long this game was. You mentioned in the last episode that you were about half way through the game, I figured there would be maybe one or two levels left and a boss fight.
To be fair, I'm stretching these levels a fair bit, haha. And the levels (and videos of the levels) are a lot shorter than they are/were in Spyro 2 & 3.

That being said, there's more homeworlds (6 of them), so the pacing is a little different.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe you were not intended to do Sunny or Night Flight first since the game doesn't expect you to 100% every level on your first run through a world meaning you can just bypass the other side of the ravine you used the cannon to get the platform to in the Peace Keeper home world.

I also believe most if not all the enemies were made by Gnasty hence why they drop jewels when killed, they were created from the dragons' treasure, including both the wizards (the FF Black Mage looking guys) and druids (the guys with plant leaves on their head, including Blowhard).

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2020

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Here are the voting results!

Next up, Tree Tops!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Here it is. Let's Top Those Trees!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

When you stare into the abyss; sometimes...the abyss... D:

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Let's get wild!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Mean Green Shock Machine.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Spyro Reignited is a really great series of remakes of the first three games.

everything they adapted looked great, and making all the dragons unique models was a surprise to me.

I'd say Spyro 1 and 3 had the most work put into them, with 1 just edging out more because of the dragons, the really interesting part of 3 was that some dialogue got unique animations, even some the player might not see.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Is 3 a similar situation where they gave all the baby dragons unique models and stuff?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beartaco posted:

Is 3 a similar situation where they gave all the baby dragons unique models and stuff?
baby dragon designs are generic and get reused. There's 150 baby dragons so i'm not gonna blame them too much about it.

I don't feel like 3 got a lot of effort, comparatively. My impression of Reignited was that it got progressively less care as the series went on.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I mean, I might argue they put too much effort into dragons in this game given what little they do with them. They could have had them, I dunno, hang around in their respective home worlds once they're rescued or something. It's honestly weird to me how meticulously designed they all are.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I mean, I might argue they put too much effort into dragons in this game given what little they do with them. They could have had them, I dunno, hang around in their respective home worlds once they're rescued or something. It's honestly weird to me how meticulously designed they all are.

For sure it'd be nice if more was done with them! I like your suggestion.

And now...

This is a good one.

Happy Halloween! Can you find all the hidden skeletons?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How long do you spend for each level throwing Spyro at geometry to see what breaks? Are these all weird tricks you found yourself or did you find some of them online?

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Beartaco posted:

How long do you spend for each level throwing Spyro at geometry to see what breaks? Are these all weird tricks you found yourself or did you find some of them online?
Generally about an hour or so. Most of the stuff I find myself, other stuff I know/learn from speedruns/youtube. Then there’s the accidental things, haha.

Metalhead’s stuff, for example, I found by myself. The big Peace Keepers skip is from the any% speedrun.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The 5th (and final regular) Homeworld of Spyro 1! We're getting close!

VOTE HERE for which level you want to see next. Poll closes in two days: https://strawpoll.com/5cva3kqwu

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Even with without sequence breaking, it's not hard to have already unlocked Gnasty's World by the time you've gotten to Dream Weavers as Amos the Balloonist requires you to have collected 6,000 Gems before he allows you to use his balloon and your Gem total after 100%-ing Artisans through Beast Makers is 8,000 meaning you get 2,000 Gems worth of wiggle room even before you do any Dream Weaver levels.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Here are the next voting results!

There's a tie, but we'll go in the order as shown above. Because why not. :)

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

- Tower's Haunted.
- What?
- *loads pistol* Tower's Haunted.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah the game actually expects you to supercharge to the mushroom balcony and free Copano before opening the exit so you get the Kiss of the Super Flame Fairy (the yellow Flame Fairy) and have Superflame for the remainder of the level.

That's actually why I don't bother destroying anything metal/killing every Tin Soldier until then since you'll be able to clean them up with the Superflame gained from the Super Flame Fairy's Kiss.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

These holes were made for me!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

BONUS Episode! Pods and I join forces once again to bring you Pods' brain thoughts on all these shenanigans from Episodes 8-20

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The Castle In The Sky!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah you actually went in the slightly reverse order of what was intended as the game expects you to go to Dark Passage and Lofty Castle before Haunted Towers. And while the former two can technically be done in either order; you're probably meant to go to Lofty Castle first since its portal is near where Lateef, the likely leader of the Dream Weavers do to being the first and nearest dragon to be freed when Spyro arrives to this homeworld as well as the one who welcomes his arrival, is found.

That's a big thing with Spyro as while all levels in a homeworld can technically be done in any order, there is an intended order based on proximity to where you first start in the homeworld not counting bosses and flights/speedways which will also carry over into 2 and 3.

Gnasty's World is the outlier however do to having level order completion be required since three of the portals are locked behind dragon mouths with specific requirements to open.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Yeah you actually went in the slightly reverse order of what was intended as the game expects you to go to Dark Passage and Lofty Castle before Haunted Towers. And while the former two can technically be done in either order; you're probably meant to go to Lofty Castle first since its portal is near where Lateef, the likely leader of the Dream Weavers do to being the first and nearest dragon to be freed when Spyro arrives to this homeworld as well as the one who welcomes his arrival, is found.
Yeah, the location of that dragon as the welcoming/first dragon is a little odd! You definitely pass Dark Passage first.

This is the Final Flightdown!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The Jacques Of No Traits.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Even as a kid, this level was boring and I usually skipped it. You don't get that much for it, and it's real lame! Better in the remake certainly, but still not that great.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah admittedly this is one of the weaker levels in Spyro one despite the fact that it and Dark Passage are meant to be nightmare Realms to contrast Lofty Castle and the Homeworld with Haunted Towers being somewhere in between, the armored enemies even being called Armored Horrors in Prima's Official Strategy Guide for the original game while the monsters in dresses are called Giant Pansies do to the giant flowers they carry and protect.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

We're taking the fight to the Gnorc Homeworld.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To contrast with the mysticism of the Dragons, the Gnorcs are industrialists that have made a new home from the dragons' unwanted world; a dump that Gnasty Gnorc was banished to.

Regarding why we are rescuing the same dragons, recall Apara's remark about not wanting to be trapped in crystal again implying that we are rescuing dragons that went to Gnasty's world to help Spyro and got re-captured.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Clicking on the kilobops links takes me to an error page for some reason.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I think the "You gotta believe!" line is a reference to (the best PS1 game) Parappa the Rapper? Though as far as I can tell Insomnia had nothing to do with that game other than sharing a platform with it.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

Clicking on the kilobops links takes me to an error page for some reason.

Oopsie! I attached the wrong project to this update. I’ll fix it as soon as I can, in the meantime you can still get to it via the kilobops home page or watch directly on youtube.

Thanks for letting me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Getting close to the end!