Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Dates as of now (likely change)

November 18- 2020 NBA Draft

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1326026325581328387

Training Camp and Season start TBD

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here is the thing, it is that Modern Basketball and small-ball is in my opinion Bull poo poo and basketball should revert to its purest form where one team happens to have found a semi-coordinated gigantic freak of nature who just destroys everyone by being huge. A few years ago, I watched the FIBA Small Nations finals and Malta annihilated Norway in the final because Norway did not have anyone over 6'8" and Malta had this gigantic 7'5" mutant who they could not stop because he was doing things like putting the ball out of reach by lifting it over his head and shooting over their useless, ineffectual arms. It ruled, and you see that pretty much every other level of basketball where you have freaks lighting up teams by being too big and now in the NBA every single team is either a little guard or a small forward playing center and they all switch and the teams all Do Assets and it is lame as hell. In a real basketball league, every year Boban would be the MVP because it would be illegal to make him guard perimeter shooters and he can just anchor himself to the paint like a mythological creature somehow chained to a mountain and swat pathetic layup attempts and also goaltending would be legal so they couldn't shoot threes. Look, I'm not a monster. You can have Steph Curry and Dame, and even the vile and disgusting James Harden. The NBA needs to sell sneakers to small children. But in a real basketball league, any team attempting to put a 6'5" guy at center because he's "switchable" so he can do Sloane Conferencing for 35 minutes a night would get smashed as an unfathomably enormous guy who has to wear prescription shoes has stuck out his arm and the smaller player is helpless to lunge at the ball. I am available for speaking engagements, conferences, and to fill any vacant GM roles in the National Basketball Association.

Here's a vision of what I call Pure Basket
https://twitter.com/DesusandMeroVL/status/1009273382284726272

https://twitter.com/P_Funk36/status/1328843386737012746?s=19

Lockback fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn’t the draft in November now?

Whoops, I used the wrong page. Updated with new estimates.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

My sources are telling me that Anthony Davis coming to the Bulls.

Very interesting, would you care to name these sources?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Katana_Warrior posted:

why doesn't anyone want the #1 pick

...says the guy who is trying to trade away the #1 pick because he doesn't want it....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ben Simmons will be traded for the #1, James Johnson and Okogie. This is the way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm sourced up in the bulls organization, please pre-order my forthcoming book The Boylen Rules

Please consider renaming it Boylen Over

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

It doesn't seem like any of these guys outside of maybe Matthews would sign for MLE money or maybe Millsap. Maybe I'm misreading this offseason.

There really isn't a ton of cap space out there in normal circumstances, and I think teams are going to be a bit more cautious about committing long term money as well given the situation.

Rick posted:

The problem is that vets don't usually take short term deals and they would need Dragic to do that to have money in 2021, because that year Bam and Duncan Robinson come due too.

And Jae probably also wants a longer term deal. I don't think he gets a monster offer from anyone but if I were Crowder I'd really prioritize total money over 1 year average.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Minnesota is going to do stuff, but just because they don't really have a regulation number of players. I know they want to do A Big Thing, but it might just be a bunch of small moves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gerund posted:

San Antonio has already blown up the team as much as you can blow it up, they have $100m coming off the books for the 21-22 Antetokounmpo-looza. Anything they do is going to be setting up the kind of 18-19 Clippers / Nets landing zone with talented first round picks.

Also before people get confused, Mike The Anthony is still looking for a job, Glenn "Doc" Rivers has the 76ers job. I still think the Philly brain trust could make a move to ship someone out, but it really depends on who comes out on top in their weird power struggle.

Elton Brand suggests they can right the ship by simply signing MORE players who play like Elton Brand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

D'Antoni to JVG would be a helluva tone shift.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I forget JVG's style but isn't he also an uptempo offensive coach?

His Houston teams were slow for their era, though if you are building around Yao that makes sense. Mostly he's just old-school. At least in the announcer booth he still talks about post touches and just in general he seems like 10 years behind where the NBA is now.

While I don't think he'd be a total disaster in general, I don't think he'd be very good and just seems like a bad fit to take over what D'Antoni was doing. It's not like Houston was horrible, they've been pretty good even if they couldn't get over the hump.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ty Lue would be a good fit in Houston, though I assume the Clippers job is his and its just posturing right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Would it really be surprising if Tillman Fritteritta ends up just not being able to avoid jumping in on Darryl Morey's turf and making a stupid loving major decision that hamstrings his team for years?

Also, what would be the ideal NBA player to get a week-old baby to cheer for? I need this for scientific research purposes - a girl, if it matters.

Congrats! And the Timberwolves stushed plushies and whatnot are adorable. Teach your daughter that life is pain right away.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HamsterPolice posted:

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for a good basketball book? It would be a gift for my brother. I already gave him the Bill Simmons book like a decade ago or something, when it came out. Thank you.

"Loose Balls" (Terry Pluto) is really good and would make a good gift.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Jalen and Jacoby talking about if Bill Russell should be in the GOAT talks and im like ?????

Super successful player coach while also being the first african american coach in the NBA, which is pretty awesome and is unique to him as a great. I also think any argument about player comparisons have to adjust for player Era, others think its all absolute. In general I don't think he's a GOAT candidate but I also think there's a weird counter-backlash to him where people have reacted to some people overrating him by underrating him instead. If you watch any of those old games his defense is so far ahead of anyone else. He'd get like 7 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 blocks in a quarter and the announcers will be talking about it like it was just a normal game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Yeah he owns and poo poo but like im ???? cuz i feel like its the first time i seen people talk about him on TV which is hosed up

I mean, he owns the "Ringz" argument and Simmons carried major water for him in his book, so it comes up every so often. Maybe it happens less now that Lebron has so much stronger of a case vs 10 years ago. I don't agree with it but I don't think it's completely crazy, like the occasional "Bird is the real GOAT" that sometimes pops up in the wild.

KAJ is the really undersung GOAT candidate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

but he's not even in the top 3 players of the 1960s much less the goat

Whoa, strong disagree here. I...mostly....agree with what you said about Wilt (although I think you are still undervaluing Russells defense in an era where no one could shoot), but while Russell vs Big O is questionable, Russell really should be considered better than Jerry West.

Like, I get Russell played for a great team, but he was also the best player of a great team, by a whole helluva lot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

big boi posted:

I don't mean to be negative or anything but I loving despise this

Fine Art isn't for everybody

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Buss did do a good job running the team since last spring (2019 spring)

I agree, though I'd like to run a team with Lebron James too though. But yeah, Lakers still did a great job getting things put together.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He'll probably sign a 1+1 or (more likely) a 2+1. The latter would allow him to opt out when he hits his 10 year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Morey had a good run and was very successful overall, even if they couldn't clear that last hump. I also believe it's probably mostly mutual as it makes sense for both sides to part way.

However:

MourningView posted:

Sticking them with the Russ contract and then bailing almost immediately is extremely funny

And no draft picks. Good time to ride into the sunset Darryl!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

How long until the Rockets blow it up, 2-3 seasons?

quote:

The Rockets will send guard Chris Paul, two protected first-round picks (2024 and 2026, both protected Nos. 1-4) and two pick swaps (2021 and 2025) to the Thunder, league sources told ESPN.

Uhhh, 2027 I guess?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

yeah i mean that was his whole theory at the time, nothing matters until you get star(s) to build around so go hog wild like you're playing a nba2k franchise mode. which was good and correct. he also for awhile kept picking up random lotto busts like hasheem thabeet hoping one of them would have a turn around

He was really good finding rando 2nd rounders that would look good for JUUUUSSSSTTT long enough to flip (or get overpaid). Godspeed: Chase Buddinger, Chandler Parsons, etc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Ahh just hire morey what is so hard

According to the article thing he wants to take some time off. If his kids are around this year that makes a lot of sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

Do people think whatever coach the rockets hire has a shot at winning a playoff series or two next year?

Well, they won a playoff series this year so that doesn't seem unreasonable to get to the 2nd round again. It'll depend on how things shake out but I don't think they're going to be way worse or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

i know we are all contractually obligated to frame things this way in “the era of player empowerment” but i think it’s dumb to suggest that the rockets are somehow uniquely beholden to james harden in a way that, say, the lakers are not bound to do whatever lebron wants or the bucks don’t have to defer to giannis on their team direction

Yeah, I don't understand why this stuff gets reported as news. If your team is built around an all nba guy, of course you work with him on how your team plays and who you get. Harden is an adult who has a ton of experience, he's not a high school kid. Of course he should have a ton of input.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

During peak Harden CP3 years this was a huge feature and benefit to the offense. There was an article that highlighted it and said things like moving around sometimes gets you in the way of another play and that the ball handlers knowing exactly where you'd be is a huge benefit. Luc said something to the effect of "my guy is sagging off me 15 feet, why would I move I already have a great shot"

I do think Houston would benefit from more offensive options, ways to punish teams that overhelp on Harden, but generally yeah. Their offense has generally been top-3, yet people want to massively overhaul it. I think they are probably about as successful you can be without a 2nd "In their prime" superstar and I am pretty sure if Houston could have solved for that they would have.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Looking at the about section in Google for Russell Westbrook. He doesn't appear to be handling the Dantoni/Morey news well.
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Russell+Westbrook&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#scso=_ekWKX-3xL4WttQbC97vwAw1:0

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crud, did I forget to vote?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Doubt it considering they got rid of the most popular player in franchise history for him. Plus it's the Knicks dealing with Hinkie, he's gonna fleece them.

It's a $44m contract, this coming season would be a great opportunity to turn cap space into assets/take fliers on guys.

I think as long as OKC isn't taking anything bad back or anything else valuable out they'd hit accept on just about anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the Bulls are in a weird position but I don't think they blow things up yet. It'd be good to see what things look like with a functioning coach, and a less toxic FO. I am not sure the Zach/Coby backcourt can really work without some kind of point forward or something, and I like Carter but he's not a piece you build around. If you can get something for Lauri do it, but the guy is probably not good enough for a guy who has trouble staying on the floor. I am not sure any GM wants the heat of giving up something for him.

I'd not try to take any new, long term money and just aim for a functioning season even if you miss the playoffs (though I think the Bulls have the talent to be in the mix for one of the last spots if healthy). Then look at trying to get a FA in 2022 or use that offseason to wipe the slate reasonably clean.

Katana_Warrior posted:

I was looking for pictures of Coby next to other players to try and analyze his True Height and see if he'd be alright as a full time SG, but I saw this and it raised an even bigger question:

Now that Zaza's gone, does Wendell have the biggest head in the league? he's almost doubling Lauri in this pic

Coby could probably play SG. He's going to hurt you more defensively there but I think you can get away with a bad defensive SG without it really killing you. You'd want a really good defensive SF and put Coby on the other team's 3&D guy.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 18, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Parish balled deep into the 90s despite being drafted in the mid 70s and announcers would say "oh . . . you don't want to mess with him. . . . " and I guess they were right.

E: drat dude scored 11 and got 7 rebounds a game despite being 40 https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parisro01.html

Lead the league in rebounding % in 2800 minutes at 36 in 89. Dude had amazing longevity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ammanas posted:

i mean this is absolutely something the rockets should be discussing.

They have no draft picks for like 5 years. Why would they blow up a top-4 team in the west?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Let's let the warriors get on the court before crowning them, who knows what Klay will look like and if he struggles that team may not be so great.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Tillman Fertitta owns the team and took out a really REALLY bad loan recently to save Bubba Gump shrimp

So then he probably doesn't want to get rid of his biggest star since Harden by himself probably pushes a ton of tickets, box seats, and merch.

They just traded away a whole mess of picks and swaps. They aren't going to start tearing stuff down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Aliens 3 had the best basketball scene in cinema.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Athanatos posted:

That's Aliens 4, Lockback. Get it together.

Crap you're right. I am shamed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

what off the wall trade do we see

I think Harden to the Knicks is all but written at this point. imagine Jim taking on the strip clubs of New York and getting his jersey retired in each borough. overnight celebrity poo poo

Harden to the Knicks would be amazing for the Knicks. Are you guys all thinking Harden is a bad contract right now or something? I don't get it, the guy is on like year 5 of top-3 MVP vote getter.....

If we're doing crazy trades I want Simmons for the Wolves #1 to happen so badly. There's enough stupid stuff about Simmons flying around that I feel like if I post about it enough I can will it to happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

The tall man's frittata is loving broke. No way he doesn't jump at the chance to use "rebuilding" as an excuse to hit the salary floor.

If no one wants to go see their 12 win team he'll lose way more money than Harden's salary.

I get people really want Harden to go somewhere else for peanuts but it ain't happening.

Gerund posted:

The Wiggins plus #2 package is probably being dangled around for guys like Bradley Beal or Jrue Holiday, it'd be really disappointing for the Warriors to not get an All Star from this year amd settle for last year's LMA

Warriors would slam accept on Beal so frickin fast but I don't think it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Last night I dreamt that the police in LA asked me to come down to the station to answer some questions about a case they were working.

I had a dream Luka was traded to the knicks for a bunch of garbage and there was 24/7 national news that was just hot takes. Like, wall to wall, national emergency and my family was calling me for my hot take since they knew I watched the NBA.